The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Possible rolling shutter effect and possible banding under artificial flickering light.

The former has never bothered me but the latter can ruin a picture with no way that I can see to fix it.

Fstoppers reviews the A7III...

https://fstoppers.com/originals/camera-you-should-want-fstoppers-reviews-sony-a7-iii-250186

And just in case you simply can't wait to know that they say...

"While there's always room for improvement, it's hard to find serious faults with the camera Sony has made at the price point it sits at. Simply put, the Sony a7 III is the best all-around camera out there, and it's priced at a truly impressive point. With its great sensor, excellent autofocus performance, high frame rate, excellent low-light performance, good battery life, and high-quality video output, there are few situations or genres it can't tackle with ease. While the crazy frame rate of the a9 and the high resolution of the a7R III are often the talk around photography circles, the a7 III quietly checks almost every box 95 percent of photographers and videographers need checked at a price far below those of its bigger siblings, and for that, it's a no-brainer to recommend it wholeheartedly."

That's nice.
:D

Returned from France yesterday early because of continuous bad weather, not what I'd wanted to try out the new kit, poor light almost all the time. All taken with A7R3 and 100-400 GM.
27829729857_04f3719d2b_c.jpg

5.6 1/1000 ISO 2000 400mm

41798948515_af67ca6cd1_c.jpg

5.6 1/2000 ISO 400 400mm, enormous crop. I get 1 shot of a swallow in flight and it's having a poo!

41798948035_20c0799d9a_c.jpg

5.6 1/2000 ISO 1250 400mm
I think it's a damselfly.

27829726387_86cba6e0ec_c.jpg

Just for the hell of it, standing in the trees for shelter!

Last edited:
At the rumor site... "Full leaked press text of the new Samyang 24mm f2.8."

Read all about it...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/full-leaked-press-text-of-the-new-samyang-24mm-f-2-8-fe-lens/

And on the subject of the rise of third party AF lenses Thom Hogan says it's "Another problem for the duopoly."

Read it here...

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/another-problem-for-the.html

I may just be in a grumpy mood today but I find him increasingly irritating and... desperate maybe.

And on the subject of competition, a new FF Leica is coming...

Steve Huff is looking forward to it...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/06/09/so-the-new-leica-is-coming-the-cm-place-your-bets/

Last edited:
Only 93g!! If its as good as 35mm/2.8 they have I'll definitely buy one. I really miss the minolta 24mm f2.8 AF prime from my a-mount days. I was really hoping for a small 24mm prime and finally its here!

Yup. It's the size of a DSLR and 24-70mm f2.8. I thought these csc's were supposed to be smaller. What's the point...

Anyway, despite the girth and weight I'm tempted but I have two manual 24mm f2.8's, Rokkor and Zuiko.

The hood looks tiny but I suppose it does do some good. Any news on the price yet?

Would be decent on my little A6000, definitely one to keep an eye on

I hadn't thought of that. One thing that's always put me off the A6xxx series is that there's no compact 35mm equivalent lens. All there's been to date AFAIK are the Sigma 19mm and the Sony 20mm f2.8's and of course the relatively large and relatively expensive Sony 24mm f1.8. It is a shame that this Samyang is f2.8 though, f1.8 would be better on an A6xxx APS-C camera.

The rumor site says that the Samyang 24mm f2.8 has been announced...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-samyang-24mm-f-2-8-fe-lens-announced-and-reviewed/#disqus_thread

Review...

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-af-24mm-f-2-8-fe-review-32367

A few snippets from that review...

"Sharpness is crisp and precise and it is no surprise to see that centrally it rates as excellent from f/2.8 all the way through to f/16. Diffraction results in a slight drop at f/22, but even here it is still very good.

The edges are a close match, being excellent from f/2.8 to f/11 and still very good at f/16 and f/22. Even using the full frame image sharpness is really even across the frame and every aperture is totally usable."

"The Samyang AF 24mm f/2.8 FE lens is priced at £279.99, a very fair and equitable amount to ask."

"We seem to have gone full circle and classic prime lenses, once the only choice, are seemingly being rediscovered and once again becoming highly sought after. Compact, high quality and reasonable priced it is not difficult to see why. The optical designs have in some cases benefited from modern technologies and glasses and they can comfortably surpass the performance of their predecessors.

This is where we find the Samyang AF 24mm f/2.8 lens – superb performance, compact size, excellent price and a compelling focal length to use. There's nothing to dislike, everything to like and an obvious Editor's Choice."

That's nice :D

I can see this selling well :D

I have two manual 24mm f2.8's and no time to use them... so I'll probably end up buying this :D

Last edited:
The rumor site says that the Samyang 24mm f2.8 has been announced...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-samyang-24mm-f-2-8-fe-lens-announced-and-reviewed/#disqus_thread

Review...

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-af-24mm-f-2-8-fe-review-32367

A few snippets from that review...

"Sharpness is crisp and precise and it is no surprise to see that centrally it rates as excellent from f/2.8 all the way through to f/16. Diffraction results in a slight drop at f/22, but even here it is still very good.

The edges are a close match, being excellent from f/2.8 to f/11 and still very good at f/16 and f/22. Even using the full frame image sharpness is really even across the frame and every aperture is totally usable."

"The Samyang AF 24mm f/2.8 FE lens is priced at £279.99, a very fair and equitable amount to ask."

"We seem to have gone full circle and classic prime lenses, once the only choice, are seemingly being rediscovered and once again becoming highly sought after. Compact, high quality and reasonable priced it is not difficult to see why. The optical designs have in some cases benefited from modern technologies and glasses and they can comfortably surpass the performance of their predecessors.

This is where we find the Samyang AF 24mm f/2.8 lens – superb performance, compact size, excellent price and a compelling focal length to use. There's nothing to dislike, everything to like and an obvious Editor's Choice."

That's nice :D

I can see this selling well :D

I have two manual 24mm f2.8's and no time to use them... so I'll probably end up buying this :D

It's nice to see that the 3rd parties are trying to deliver lenses that don't massively compromise on quality but are still offered at more reasonable prices. I can see me moving over to a Tamron 28-75, Samyang 24/2.8 and possibly an FE85/1.8 as a 3 lens setup. I wonder if Sony will stick to their higher-priced lenses and leave the 3rd parties to the rest or will they release their own lenses to compete?

Clearly it's possible to build good quality glass at reasonable prices and in compact sizes, something Sony hasn't really bothered doing up to now but maybe the competition as positive reviews will make them try.

Last edited:
I will be having one of the Samyang 24 2.8 lenses! Any word on release date ?

It's nice to see that the 3rd parties are trying to deliver lenses that don't massively compromise on quality but are still offered at more reasonable prices. I can see me moving over to a Tamron 28-75, Samyang 24/2.8 and possibly an FE85/1.8 as a 3 lens setup. I wonder if Sony will stick to their higher-priced lenses and leave the 3rd parties to the rest or will they release their own lenses to compete?

Clearly it's possible to build good quality glass at reasonable prices and in compact sizes, something Sony hasn't really bothered doing up to now but maybe the competition as positive reviews will make them try.

I going down this route but with a 35mm f1.4 for a 4 lens setup :D
Still haven't received my tamron though :(

I've been thinking about the 24mm f2.8 whilst out today and whilst I'd probably like one I've been a bit spoilt by having 17 and 19mm lenses. Thinking back to my DSLR days I didn't have a 24mm, I had a Sigma 12-24mm which was excellent and a Sigma 20mm f1.8 which wasn't great at f1.8 but stopped down it was excellent. These days I'd settle for a compact and well priced 20mm f2.8 even if it's not as good as the larger offerings like the Tokina Firin f2 which is neither compact or all that cheap.

Maybe Samyang or someone else will get around to a 20mm f2.8 at some point. Assuming my eyesight doesn't go and stop me from using manual lenses I might just hold off on the 24mm and see if a 20mm f2.8 comes out.

No more Sony GAS for me... moving house next week and I have a cunning plan in my head to build a home cinema :eek: £££

There's a link in that review to the 29 best Sony e/fe mount lenses...

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-29-best-sony-e-fe-mount-lenses-2018-29886

Interestingly neither the 55mm f1.8 or 35mm f2.8 are included, I'd say that both are excellent and the 55mm f1.8 in particular is very good indeed and surely that and maybe the 35mm f2.8 too deserve to be included but what do I know.
Stopped reading it when I saw the 24-70GM a few places higher than the 16-35GM - they must be on fricking drugs LOL

overall 24-70mm is probably a better "general" recommendation for a lens than 16-35mm. not everyone needs the UWA
It says best lenses - the 24-70 is in no way better than the16-35.

Not sure how they can score something down as it is not as popular a focal length - surely it has to be reviewed on the technical aspects of the lens?

Last edited:
It says best lenses - the 24-70 is in no way better than the16-35.

Not sure how they can score something down as it is not as popular a focal length - surely it has to be reviewed on the technical aspects of the lens?

yeah "best" is probably the wrong word to use for that list. Its like saying "best" camera. There is no such thing as best camera or lenses. I certainly would not buy most of their top 10s lol

I have to admit to having a sweet spot for the 16-35mm f4 however the very compact size of these Samyang lenses are very appealing.

I like my Sigma Art 35mm however it is a little on the large side for general wandering about. I have been toying with the 35mm 2.8 for a while. However as I already have one 35mm already I’ve been reluctant. Although I can see the 35mm and 55mm to be a nice small day to day set up. 35mm for general and 55 when I want to get a bit closer. I had also been thinking of ditching the primes and getting the 24-105. Damn the Sony GAS

There's a link in that review to the 29 best Sony e/fe mount lenses...

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-29-best-sony-e-fe-mount-lenses-2018-29886

Interestingly neither the 55mm f1.8 or 35mm f2.8 are included, I'd say that both are excellent and the 55mm f1.8 in particular is very good indeed and surely that and maybe the 35mm f2.8 too deserve to be included but what do I know.
Odd they they don't list either the Sony Zeiss 50mm f1.4 or the Zeiss Loxia 21mm. I guess that there are a lot of factors that go into the mix when evaluating a lens. I think that both of those lenses are right up there

Hi all i am looking at an ipad or ipad pro for travelling with. The main use for a tablet is to watch and consume movies offline, browse the net, maybe play a few games here and there and to also view raws and maybe make use of lightroom mobile.

My question is, can the ipad pro/normal one be able to connect to an external hdd or even an sd card reader?

Hi all i am looking at an ipad or ipad pro for travelling with. The main use for a tablet is to watch and consume movies offline, browse the net, maybe play a few games here and there and to also view raws and maybe make use of lightroom mobile.

My question is, can the ipad pro/normal one be able to connect to an external hdd or even an sd card reader?

SD > Lighting adaptor

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MJYT2ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

cool i just saw. can you stream content through it thoug or do you have to transfer any videos across?

Also, is there also an adapter to connect the ipad pro to a hdmi connected hdTV for watching in full screen mode?

No, you can only copy images directly from it to the iPad. You can't stream from a directly connected storage media. Alternatively, if you want to stream video, you can use a wifi drive.

Same site (Apple)

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

That's a really weird coincidence , I've just spent the last 2 hours comparing different systems and I've decided on the Ipad Pro 12.9 inch. I'm going to go to the nearest Apple store to try out the Lightroom Mobile capability although I've probably seen enough on Youtube to convince me. I shall then probably get one from Apple Refurb.

Back