The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have a Sony A9 and whilst I like it I think I would be better off with an A7R mk3. I've discussed a part exchange with my usual supplier and I would need to add about £470 to do the swap. I could afford that but if anyone can persuade me to stick with the A9 it would save me some money :). I mostly shoot still life and food, sometimes I shoot architecture. I certainly don't need 20 fps and would like a better tethering socket and USB 3 which the A7R mk3 would give me.

Add 470 quid to get the a7r3, mental.

I have a Sony A9 and whilst I like it I think I would be better off with an A7R mk3. I've discussed a part exchange with my usual supplier and I would need to add about £470 to do the swap. I could afford that but if anyone can persuade me to stick with the A9 it would save me some money :). I mostly shoot still life and food, sometimes I shoot architecture. I certainly don't need 20 fps and would like a better tethering socket and USB 3 which the A7R mk3 would give me.
Odd that you have to pay to exchange for a cheaper camera...

I'd say no. The a9 can do what you ask it to do and it's a complete waste throwing 470 quid to exchange for a camera that costs over 1000 less

Odd that you have to pay to exchange for a cheaper camera...

I'd say no. The a9 can do what you ask it to do and it's a complete waste throwing 470 quid to exchange for a camera that costs over 1000 less

A9 used is pretty poor because grey is so cheap.

Add 470 quid to get the a7r3, mental.

Indeed, even Grey there is a 600 quid price difference between the A9 and the A7RIII so that £470 to downgrade is appalling - have you considered doing a swap on here? Someone might bite your arm off if you agree to keep it cost neutral.

Indeed, even Grey there is a 600 quid price difference between the A9 and the A7RIII so that £470 to downgrade is appalling - have you considered doing a swap on here? Someone might bite your arm off if you agree to keep it cost neutral.

I don't think it'll be an easy swap even at neutral cost.
A lot of people that own A7RIII mostly do so for the sensor. Similarly most people who own A9 probably do so for the speed. I don't think most people eye-ing an A9 would take an A7RIII as a cheaper alternative. That's A7III.

I don't think it'll be an easy swap even at neutral cost.
A lot of people that own A7RIII mostly do so for the sensor. Similarly most people who own A9 probably do so for the speed. I don't think most people eye-ing an A9 would take an A7RIII as a cheaper alternative. That's A7III.

Very true, but I'd still give it a go if I was him - stick it in the classifieds as a swap deal.

Very true, but I'd still give it a go if I was him - stick it in the classifieds as a swap deal.
It would seem that John made a mistake when he bought the A9, it could be that someone else made a mistake when buying theA7RIII so would be willing to exchange them,
it might be worth a try, paying £470 to do it is ridiculous, I see that John is a new member so using the classifieds hear would be a problem.

Last edited:
It would seem that John made a mistake when he bought the A9, it could be that someone else made a mistake when buying theA7RIII so would be willing to exchange them,
it might be worth a try, paying £470 to do it is ridiculous, I see that John is a new member so using the classifieds hear would be a problem.

The A9 looked like a good bet at the time I bought it, but my requirements have changed now and I'm not going to be doing the sort of photography it's best suited for. As you say the classifieds solution isn't one that's available to me at the moment, for reasons I well understand.

Truth be told what I really want is the Canon equivalent to the A7RIII but they haven't made it yet AFAIK.

The A9 looked like a good bet at the time I bought it, but my requirements have changed now and I'm not going to be doing the sort of photography it's best suited for. As you say the classifieds solution isn't one that's available to me at the moment, for reasons I well understand.

Truth be told what I really want is the Canon equivalent to the A7RIII but they haven't made it yet AFAIK.
Hi John it was not clear from your first post that your priorities had changed, if you had bought the A9 for still life, food and architectural photography that would have been a mistake,
however I do understand that interests and priorities change, my own did my main interest was landscape so I bought a A7RII which is ideal for that purpose I am now much more interested in
wildlife for which it is not so good and I have now got a A7III :).
Good luck I hope you get sorted out at little or no cost. :beer:.

Hi John it was not clear from your first post that your priorities had changed, if you had bought the A9 for still life, food and architectural photography that would have been a mistake,
however I do understand that interests and priorities change, my own did my main interest was landscape so I bought a A7RII which is ideal for that purpose I am now much more interested in
wildlife for which it is not so good and I have now got a A7III :).
Good luck I hope you get sorted out at little or no cost. :beer:.
Lets be honest.

Any of the sony 3rd gen FF camera's can do still life, food and archiecture. The main difference between then is weather u need it to be faster? do a ton of cropping? or on a budget(a7mk3!!)

Are you sure you want to dive in and spend even more? Canon is rumoured to announce something mirrorless this year.

The single most important feature of the A9 for me is the stacked sensor. No rolling shutter is nice but the no blackout EVF is just awesome and for me I couldn't move back to another mirrorless body without it.

I think this kinda confirms if Nikon do go mirrorless they may just stick with F mount or have a seriously good adapter in development.... in which case Sony better watch out, all that back catalogue plus quality PF lens options.

I was secretly hoping they'd make a e-mount FF :D

So my Sigma 35 from wex is still nowhere to be seen

Good call that UKDIGITAL have just sent me one via RMSD

So my Sigma 35 from wex is still nowhere to be seen

Good call that UKDIGITAL have just sent me one via RMSD

Not sure Ill be getting one after being so pleased with the 50, may wait for a price drop on the 35.

WoW, it's a bit of a shocker that a mirrorless camera has better battery performance than a DSLR :D

Not really, we've already covered this! The more you shoot the bigger the advantage these Sony's have over the competition but the reverse is also true.

I know but for £650 in my pocket its close enough ;)

that's only £50 more than your sigma 50mm. surely you can return it?

If the AF is as good as you say it is, its hard resist the ART. Seems like a perfect balance!

that's only £50 more than your sigma 50mm. surely you can return it?

If the AF is as good as you say it is, its hard resist the ART. Seems like a perfect balance!

I want to keep the 50..... So it's 650 out my pocket.

Last edited:
I want to keep the 50..... So it's 650 out my pocket.

I like a 35mm/85mm combo, but when it comes to using a sole lens is a 50mm all the way for me. Which is why mine is arriving tomorrow :D

My old Sigma 50mm won't work on the mc-11 (I did kind of get it working in manual focus), so ordered the FE mount Art. My adapted 35/85 work well enough for now.

The 50/1.4 Planar is still my favourite Sony lens, actually if I had to pick it’s my joint favourite with the Canon 35L mk2. I’ve only had the CZ a very short period of time but it’s just so good, it’s better than all the 50mm I’ve tried.

I like a 35mm/85mm combo, but when it comes to using a sole lens is a 50mm all the way for me. Which is why mine is arriving tomorrow :D

My old Sigma 50mm won't work on the mc-11 (I did kind of get it working in manual focus), so ordered the FE mount Art. My adapted 35/85 work well enough for now.

The 50 art FE is superb, been so impressed... and that's not easy... Especially at well under 1k.

WoW, it's a bit of a shocker that a mirrorless camera has better battery performance than a DSLR :D
My A7R3 out performs my old Nikon D810 quite easily. That is because I shoot landscapes and used to have the D810 in live view all of the time. DSLRs are not built to be in live view all the time but mirrorless cameras are :)

The 50/1.4 Planar is still my favourite Sony lens, actually if I had to pick it’s my joint favourite with the Canon 35L mk2. I’ve only had the CZ a very short period of time but it’s just so good, it’s better than all the 50mm I’ve tried.

How are you finding the CZ 35??

My A7R3 out performs my old Nikon D810 quite easily. That is because I shoot landscapes and used to have the D810 in live view all of the time. DSLRs are not built to be in live view all the time but mirrorless cameras are :)

It is well known that Nikon D810 live view sucks big time. Canon doesn't :D

Back