The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've just been looking at the Zeiss Primes and they look amazing. In particular the 35, 85, and the 135.

I am not into the Batis 85 or 135. The Batis 25/2.0 is good as there isn't really any real alternative since the Sigma isn't out yet.

I'm a prime shooter so have no Sony Zooms.

So, what lenses have people opted for?

Primes vs zooms, native vs adapted?

Sony Zeiss 35mm/1.4
Sony FE 85mm/1.8
Tamron 28-75mm/2.8

Waiting on:
Samyang 24mm f2.8
Laowa 10-18mm f4.5-5.6

In adapt a bunch of random stuff that's ever changing depending on whatever takes my fancy. My main adapted lens are:
Olympus OM 16mm/3.5 fisheye because it's tiny and fun.
Canon 100-300mm USM - my cheap telezoom for times when I'd like the reach.

When my child grows up and I am hoping I'll once again have time for wildlife then I'll buy a nice telephoto again

Last edited:

Primes... Native.

35 ART FE on its way
85 1.8 FE
Might add the 50 ART FE or SZ55 again in the future.

Have used SZ35 1.4, Samyang 35 1.4, ART 50 1.4 FE and SZ55 1.8.

Last edited:

Primes & native. I'm not a pro.

Loxia 21
Batis 25
Loxia 35
Loxia 50
Loxia 85
FE Macro 90
Trioplan 100

Primes & native. I'm not a pro.

Loxia 21
Batis 25
Loxia 35
Loxia 50
Loxia 85
FE Macro 90
Trioplan 100

Will you replace batis 25 with Loxia 25 now? :D

I had the trioplan 100 didn't get along well with it. I like my trioplan 50 though

Currently I have the following:
Primes
35mm Art adapted
FE 55mm f1.8
FE 85mm f1.8

Zooms
FE16-35mm f4
FE100-400 GM
Sigma 120-300 f2.8 SPORT adapted

I am toying with the FE24-105 and a small prime either 25/28 or 35mm however I am waiting to see if I “need” them

I'm currently looking at the Zeiss primes having gone primarily the zoom route.

I'm loving the A9 so much. It's so incredibly good to use.

Big question mark now is do I cancel my A7RIII order and get another.

i use both primes and zooms and mostly native now.

primes:
25mm batis
35mm samyang f2.8
55mm sony
85mm batis

zooms:
12-24 sony
24-70 f2.8 GM
100-400 GM

None native:
35mm ART
85 f1.2 Canon L
70-200 f2.8 mk2 Canon L

Last edited:
35mm Samyang
55mm Sony
85mm batis
90mm sony macro
16-35 f4
70-200f4
12mm Samyang

... and a 24-105 sony if it ever turns up!

Oh, and also an old Nikon 35mm shift lens from the olden days :)

Currently running...

24-70 GM
16-35 GM
85 GM
70-200 f4
Laowa 12mm 2.8
35mm 1.8 OSS ---- not quite sold on this one yet...so may be up for sale shortly.

Currently running...

24-70 GM
16-35 GM
85 GM
70-200 f4
Laowa 12mm 2.8
35mm 1.8 OSS ---- not quite sold on this one yet...so may be up for sale shortly.

The 35mm/1.8 is a rubbish lens IMO though most of the world will disagree with me. It was as sharp at f2.8 as my Zeiss 35mm/2.8 wide open. Wide open at f1.8 it's mostly soft apart from the very centre.

The 35mm/1.8 is a rubbish lens IMO though most of the world will disagree with me. It was as sharp at f2.8 as my Zeiss 35mm/2.8 wide open. Wide open at f1.8 it's mostly soft apart from the very centre.

exactly what I was thinking. I wanted a small lens to pair with the a6500, to convince me to keep the body instead of getting a second full frame ... but I'm not overjoyed by the 35. I know its not fair to, but when I compare to the IQ that all my other lenses give its just not there, but equally I know I'll struggle to get anything that small that does compare. Thinking maybe to give the 28 f2 or sigma 30 1.4 a go...

exactly what I was thinking. I wanted a small lens to pair with the a6500, to convince me to keep the body instead of getting a second full frame ... but I'm not overjoyed by the 35. I know its not fair to, but when I compare to the IQ that all my other lenses give its just not there, but equally I know I'll struggle to get anything that small that does compare. Thinking maybe to give the 28 f2 or sigma 30 1.4 a go...

They both are pretty nice lenses. Sigma is noticiably larger but Sony FE28 is very small and sharp. Not to mention you can use it on your FF camera too.

any idea what the 50 oss is like? mpb have one for 99...
Nice price.
Much better than 35mm/1.8
Also not amazing sharp wide open but definitely usable. At that price I'd get it if it's not too narrow for you.

As a general rule of thumb all Sony APS-C e-mount lenses are either bad, overpriced or both. That 50 OSS is not one of them :D

Last edited:
Nice price.
Much better than 35mm/1.8
Also not amazing sharp wide open but definitely usable. At that price I'd get it if it's not too narrow for you.

As a general rule of thumb all Sony APS-C e-mount lenses are either bad, overpriced or both. That 50 OSS is not one of them :D

Cheers... I've gone ahead and ordered - at that price it would be silly not to!

Nice.

Anyways is anyone here shoot video too. I tried doing some video footage in the 100-400 and was surprised how good the ibis is

you could get that far cheaper used, or a better body. As an example, MPB had / have an A7 mark ii for £560 - "well used" but actually looks alright and has warranty ... and the FE 50mm lens for £120... so thats cheaper than your link and better body by far

Thanks - I can see what you are saying but I couldn't cope with the condition of that - food for thought though !

Pretty good deal, but it depends on what you are planning on shooting. The A7 isn't the fastest camera and neither is the 50mm, add both together and it could prove to be annoying. Are you a m4/3 shooter?

Yes at present

Thanks - I can see what you are saying but I couldn't cope with the condition of that - food for thought though !
fair enough, the only thing for me was the screen but thats actually a factory installed screen protector you can peel off and replace ... not many people know that

Yeah this caught my eye:
Adds support for all focus areas when using LA-EA3 mount adaptor
(Focus Area options added: Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF)

I wonder does that mean all the native AF focus area options are now available with adapted EF lenses also?
So its basically as good as native now?

Seems like Sony just throw away my list of fw features they should add as nothing was added from it

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-3-0-firmware-update-for-the-sony-a9/#disqus_thread
ooo i'll take improved AF for free

Yeah this caught my eye:
Adds support for all focus areas when using LA-EA3 mount adaptor
(Focus Area options added: Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF)

I wonder does that mean all the native AF focus area options are now available with adapted EF lenses also?
So its basically as good as native now?
Time to test that I guess

Back