The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No
The problem of filming it is like filming LED and see flicker when your eyes can’t see it, so we can’t be 100% that’s real life.

I can assure you thats exactly how it looks in real life. Which I'm guessing isn't normal?

Here is another video side by side with my A9.

Last edited:
Ive used it on 4 weddings since I got it. Performs so much better than the samyang. Extremely happy with it
I guess you are literally putting your money where your mouth is :D

But the real question is how close it is to Sony Zeiss rather than how much better it is than samyang ;)

Lovely set, brought back memories of going to Prescott with my late wife in the mid-seventies. I've still got the prints somewhere I took with my Asahi Pentax, I must dig them out.

I'm astonished to see this. Can you post your settings and I'll see if I can replicate this effect on my A7R3?
Ermmmm that looks like normal behavior to me, its the shutter black out. You can switch it to 8 fps which kind of reduces it but its nothing like the Sony A9's blackout free output. :)

Ermmmm that looks like normal behavior to me, its the shutter black out. You can switch it to 8 fps which kind of reduces it but its nothing like the Sony A9's blackout free output. :)

You're quite correct. I was making the error of looking for that effect when using my normal shutter setting of H+, at any other setting it's terrible. Apologies.

Edit: Just quickly checked my Olympus E-M1 Mkii and it's present in exactly the same way, just never used those shutter settings before.

Last edited:
I guess you are literally putting your money where your mouth is :D

But the real question is how close it is to Sony Zeiss rather than how much better it is than samyang ;)

No idea about the Zeiss. Terrible QC put me totally off it along with the ridiculous price for average performance

A9 v3.0 firmware pulled: "It was confirmed that some products that updated to Ver.3.00 may not operate properly in some cases.
Distribution will be suspended until we can inform you of modified version."

Yup it's bugged.glad I diddnt Rush and update
A9 v3.0 firmware pulled: "It was confirmed that some products that updated to Ver.3.00 may not operate properly in some cases.

Knew they'd pull it.

I've been off this thread for a while - but I had an issue with my Samyang 35/1.4 FE and i've been offered a refund or an exchange.

Question is - should I take an exchange or should I use this opportunity to move to a different 35? What's the opinion on the Sigma 35? Is it available yet..?

Last edited:
I have discovered a potential problem with Sigma FE lenses on the Sony if you want to put it on a Gimbal. due to the nature of the length of the lenses, a lot of them won't balance on a gimbal even if the payload supports it. The centre of gravity is too far front heavy meaning the camera or the lens will knock it against something.

I tried the Sony A73 with the 35 Distagon on a Feiyu A1000 this week and it barely balances, the mounting plate is so far back it was holding on with barely like 2mm of grip and the eye cup catches the back motor if you tilts to look up. I can't see how the Sigma will work with that gimbal at all, or any of the sigma lenses to be honest.

Sony a7iii Samyang 35mm 1.4 at 1.4,

28216503177_beaf41426a_b.jpg

I have discovered a potential problem with Sigma FE lenses on the Sony if you want to put it on a Gimbal. due to the nature of the length of the lenses, a lot of them won't balance on a gimbal even if the payload supports it. The centre of gravity is too far front heavy meaning the camera or the lens will knock it against something.

I tried the Sony A73 with the 35 Distagon on a Feiyu A1000 this week and it barely balances, the mounting plate is so far back it was holding on with barely like 2mm of grip and the eye cup catches the back motor if you tilts to look up. I can't see how the Sigma will work with that gimbal at all, or any of the sigma lenses to be honest.

I balanced the 35 very easily on the Crane 2 !

I balanced the 35 very easily on the Crane 2 !

I've not tried the crane to, this is the Feyiu A1000, has a payload of 1.7kg, gimbal itself weighs about 1kg and is very compact, thought it would be the perfect gimbal but just not meant to be.

I think I know why the water is lights up like that, something to do with a certain creature right?
Yeah it’s a bioluminescenct plankton, was a pretty busy spot, mainly enjoyed watching it rather photographing, was pretty busy and hard to get a shot with out people. Unsure if the shallow dof works or not, aim was to help blur the slashes from the rocks a bit more

Yeah it’s a bioluminescenct plankton, was a pretty busy spot, mainly enjoyed watching it rather photographing, was pretty busy and hard to get a shot with out people. Unsure if the shallow dof works or not, aim was to help blur the slashes from the rocks a bit more

Makes it tilt-shift-esque - i like it. Impressive bio-luminescence! Assume that's not SOOC?

Went into Jessops today intending to p/ex 2 Olympus Pro lenses for a couple of Sony lenses to complete my line-up. Two things happened, one was that they offered me vastly more than I was expecting for 1 lens and very slightly more for the other. The other was that today they are starting a 20% bonus on p/ex prices. Suddenly I was hundreds of pounds “better off” than I had imagined I would be.

The 16-35 F4 was always going to be in my bag but after handling the 24-70 F4, the 24-105 F4 they suggested that I try the 24-70 F2.8 GM they happened to have lying around. Suddenly (in my mind) the extra money I had to play with meant that I didn’t dismiss the GM lens out of hand.
I was hooked, completely and utterly and walked away with the 16-35 F4 and the 24-70 F2.8. That 20% bonus really swung it for me.

You're quite correct. I was making the error of looking for that effect when using my normal shutter setting of H+, at any other setting it's terrible. Apologies.

Edit: Just quickly checked my Olympus E-M1 Mkii and it's present in exactly the same way, just never used those shutter settings before.

Even in electronic shutter?

This video certainly looks a lot better than mine:

I looked at an A7RII today and that wasn’t anything like this.

Last edited:

try and attach a flash gun on teh camera to help balance the weight?

Even in electronic shutter?

I looked at an A7RII today and that wasn’t anything like this.
I have read your posts here about the topic at hand and i can safely say thats how it works on the a7r3.

there is a blackout like that in silent mode , EFC mode and full mechanical mode.

The R3 is not a no blackout free camera

I have read your posts here about the topic at hand and i can safely say thats how it works on the a7r3.

there is a blackout like that in silent mode , EFC mode and full mechanical mode.

The R3 is not a no blackout free camera

And the A7iii and the A7rii and XT2 and Olympus.

Last edited:

Think I mentioned this when sigma announced what they were doing for e-mount. It's annoying for sure and one of the reasons I am not keen buying one. I'd much prefer a lens designed for e-mount/mirrorless.

Think I mentioned this when sigma announced what they were doing for e-mount. It's annoying for sure and one of the reasons I am not keen buying one. I'd much prefer a lens designed for e-mount/mirrorless.

I am sure for a larger gimbal like the Ronin S it will work but the gimbal i tried specifically says it holds 1.7kg and i was only at about 1.3kg and due to the length of the Zeiss, the centre of gravity barely makes it for that, so the Sigma wouldn't have worked on it. The Zeiss was too long by about 1mm, the rear eye cup actually brushes against the rear motor so the extra cm of the Sigma will means a massive walk against the EVF.

For general handholding, not a problem, but certainly a consideration if you put it on a gimbal.

Last edited:

Like the Samyang and SZ you had?

In short, Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 is the best one if budget is not a criteria. A little surprised how badly the Rokinon did though but i am impressed by the Sigma, that looks to have the softest bokeh.

In short, Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 is the best one if budget is not a criteria. A little surprised how badly the Rokinon did though but i am impressed by the Sigma, that looks to have the softest bokeh.

If only it weren't so bloody expensive.

Umm the a7mk3 had better weather sealing then the 5d4 which actually messed up for him in a real world scenario enviornment

crazy aint it. the weak spots of Sonys is the bottom plate only... all it would take is a minor seal but that may effect the 4k heat, Its a tricky balancing act.

Last edited:
Like the Samyang and SZ you had?
Yep exactly like those :D
I didn't exactly mean to sell the Zeiss but someone made an offer I couldn't refuse and it meant being able to afford the A7RIII.
It was surprisingly easy to sell the Zeiss compared to the samyang!

Back