The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Looking a wee case/half case for the A7III, can anyone recommend one ?

Yep exactly like those :D
I didn't exactly mean to sell the Zeiss but someone made an offer I couldn't refuse and it meant being able to afford the A7RIII.
It was surprisingly easy to sell the Zeiss compared to the samyang!

You made the right choice, can always pickup a cz for the money you paid.

In short, Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 is the best one if budget is not a criteria. A little surprised how badly the Rokinon did though but i am impressed by the Sigma, that looks to have the softest bokeh.

Really looking forward to trying the SZ55 again, I think the fact that I didn't like the A7mk1 colour, AF, chroma noise etc etc.... may have skewed my opinion... wait and see.

Looking a wee case/half case for the A7III, can anyone recommend one ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMS-Gen...621459&hash=item3b0313fbfd:g:lWEAAOSwesBalN-x

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMS-Gen...-Plate-For-Sony-A7RIII-A7III-BR-/263452909975

What I have and love it.

Tripod screw stays centred.
Battery door accessible.

CSyBbRR.jpg

UNEyZIO.jpg

P3CUCyN.jpg

But one of the side flap is slightly obstructed, you won't be able to access the micro USB slot, USB-C is accessible so can still charge with that.

vtKsWm9.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMS-Gen...621459&hash=item3b0313fbfd:g:lWEAAOSwesBalN-x

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMS-Gen...-Plate-For-Sony-A7RIII-A7III-BR-/263452909975

What I have and love it.

Tripod screw stays centred.
Battery door accessible.

CSyBbRR.jpg

UNEyZIO.jpg

P3CUCyN.jpg

But one of the side flap is slightly obstructed, you won't be able to access the micro USB slot, USB-C is accessible so can still charge with that.

vtKsWm9.jpg

Thanks Raymond! Jeez £80, suppose in relative terms its not too bad.

Thanks Raymond! Jeez £80, suppose in relative terms its not too bad.

I have the gariz for the Fuji X-T1, The Lim's is much better, MUCH better.

For 1 thing, Gariz' bottom is a clued on metal "sheet", mine is actually peeling! and I don't use my Fuji for work so 90% of stuff i take are at home of my food and stuff, it's my toy camera, whereas Lim's is a solid piece of metal.

Last edited:
Think I mentioned this when sigma announced what they were doing for e-mount. It's annoying for sure and one of the reasons I am not keen buying one. I'd much prefer a lens designed for e-mount/mirrorless.

Have you tried the Samyang or Sigma 35s?

Have you tried the Samyang or Sigma 35s?
I have owned the samyang and Sony Zeiss both of which I sold last week and yesterday respectively.
I'll try sigma ART next. Hoping it's the best compromise between AF capabilities and optics.

You'll need a cabinet

And some old film era manual primes.

And on that subject, I spotted a nice shot but thought that my 35mm was a bit too short and a nice 50mm would be perfect and I could do with a really nice 50. And then I remembered I have the 55mm f1.8. I sometimes forget I have the AF lenses.

I don't see the 1.4x teleconverter there............

I still have a few items to pickup, which includes the 2.0x convertor and the Sony 35 f1.4.

I'm also trying to decide on some lighting but struggling to make a decision between standard strobes and LED lighting.

I have owned the samyang and Sony Zeiss both of which I sold last week and yesterday respectively.
I'll try sigma ART next. Hoping it's the best compromise between AF capabilities and optics.

The only thing putting me off the Art is the poor AF tests I’ve seen on YT. Looks a lot worse than the Sammy in comparison...

Yeah, the native mount FE lens.

View: https://youtu.be/7nRcmRhgPvI

Watching the video there doesn't seem to be a lot in it, but then his conclusion is damning which is odd. It's only one person though, need to see if everyone says the same.

I don't shoot video (have very little interest there) but it would seem neither are that suitable? Sigma slightly slower, although you could work with that? The Samyang has loud AF-C focus? You'll have to buy the Sony :D

My sigma order was cancelled for a couple weeks while I consider actually needing a 35. The Zeiss AFC was quite a bit better than samyang in holding moving targets, hit rate was excellent. The sigma 50 is a bit better than the 35 in terms of afc so I'd expect it to be alright not great.

Last edited:
My sigma order was cancelled for a couple weeks while I consider actually needing a 35. The Zeiss AFC was quite a bit better than samyang in holding moving targets, hit rate was excellent. The sigma 50 is a bit better than the 35 in terms of afc so I'd expect it to be alright not great.

:eek:

You moving away from the 35-85 combo :eek:

How could you!?

Went into Jessops today intending to p/ex 2 Olympus Pro lenses for a couple of Sony lenses to complete my line-up. Two things happened, one was that they offered me vastly more than I was expecting for 1 lens and very slightly more for the other. The other was that today they are starting a 20% bonus on p/ex prices. Suddenly I was hundreds of pounds “better off” than I had imagined I would be.

The 16-35 F4 was always going to be in my bag but after handling the 24-70 F4, the 24-105 F4 they suggested that I try the 24-70 F2.8 GM they happened to have lying around. Suddenly (in my mind) the extra money I had to play with meant that I didn’t dismiss the GM lens out of hand.
I was hooked, completely and utterly and walked away with the 16-35 F4 and the 24-70 F2.8. That 20% bonus really swung it for me.
Just discovered I get £200 cashback on top of all this goodness, what's going on?:banana:

Interesting @F/1.4 claims sigma to be lot better than samyang. I wonder if he used the samyang with updated firmware?

I guess we should wait for @twist to give his opinion also. He's in fact owned all three.

I did update the firmware. I actually owned 3-4 copies of the Samyang. Hard to decern which is faster but the Sigma is in a different league with consistency. Image quality is much better as is the Bokeh

Last edited by a moderator:
In short, Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 is the best one if budget is not a criteria. A little surprised how badly the Rokinon did though but i am impressed by the Sigma, that looks to have the softest bokeh.

After watching that video I'll stick with the Loxia f2

Maybe get a Noctilux 0.95 ;)

Last edited:
I did update the firmware. I actually owned 3-4 copies of the Samyang. Hard to decern which is faster but the Sigma is in a different league with consistency. Image quality is much better as is the Bokeh

As in, you found the AF is more consistent with the Sigma? Most of what i've read has been unfavourable towards the Sigma, lol. I also find the bokeh a little too distracting, it's too contrasty.

As in, you found the AF is more consistent with the Sigma? Most of what i've read has been unfavourable towards the Sigma, lol. I also find the bokeh a little too distracting, it's too contrasty.

Sources? Sigma is slower than Sony lenses in video for sure. For photography though I haven't seen anything negative yet. They do have focus breathing in AF-S but they perform really well in AF-C. Even my adapted Sigma 35mm does really well in that regard. If I keep the Sony I was going to swap my 35mm for a native mount, seems odd that the native mount would be worse than adapted.

Just buy the Mitakon
After reading reviews I wouldn't because I'd be wanting it wide open and the Mitakon reviews all say it ain't anywhere near sharp at 0.95.
The Nocturnus is reviewed as sharper with better colour and seems a sensible compromise to the noctilux. All reviews say the Nocturnus build quality is far better than the Mitakon and that is important to me.
Will version 3 be an improvement on 1&2 I wonder, or just a new manufacturing run?

Back