The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
Outdoor shots have never been an issue for the mk1 A7 but indoor, under different lighting, causes colour correction differences.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/josh1408/43168335021/
Yea true.

Looking at that shot and it is indeed warmer and diddnt even edit it

2018-07-04_10-57-27 by Jon Richy, on Flickr

I need to sort out my monitor on the right. its calibrated wrong and that same pic is cooler!

Luckily i do my edits on the monitor u see on the left.

If i remember correctly i tweaked the AWB for use with my flash

This is with flash

Easter-Maxi-151.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yea true.

Looking at that shot and it is indeed warmer and diddnt even edit it

2018-07-04_10-57-27 by Jon Richy, on Flickr

I need to sort out my monitor on the right. its calibrated wrong and that same pic is cooler!

Luckily i do my edits on the monitor u see on the left.

If i remember correctly i tweaked the AWB for use with my flash

Good point. Not a criticism, just an observation really. Nice to see natural shots too.

How do DPR take all these comparison images with multiple cameras and have the models faces exactly the same in each? Even down to the creases/laughter lines on their face.

It's a studio test scene not real life people ;)

Cheers. I was asked by a guy who's bought one of the first 10 Chromas if I had any flyers I wanted him to give out at large format workshops he runs. Of course, I never seem to take the simple option (print them) so decided to make them from the same 2mm acrylic I'm using in part of the camera assembly. Not like I haven't got enough work to do already!

So this is all over the issue on how I see the files?

I actually pondered the choice of the word, I could have chosen many adjectives which would be worse, in the end I chose unacceptable, and added “for my work” to qualify it, giving it a perspective and a level that you can see where I am coming from, not from a snobbery point of view but from an objectivity point of view. Clearly some people took this the COMPLETE wrong way. I was hoping you would understand that is exactly what I mean by that, I think it adds a level of objectivity in a debate of the colours of those files as presented. I fully am aware that you or anyone else may find it acceptable or amazing and thought you would know that I am aware of that too. This word suggests there is a line in the sand, a cleaner cut, as opposed to an arbitrary “meh”? I would have thought you read that and thought at most “that’s your opinion but I like it.” and that’ll be that and given others have already mentioned this and have given constructive criticism in the past, including me, you would know that I wasn’t meant to offend.

W6FPcgz.png

mU6mwSu.png

5Jp5PAU.png

You can say the same thing to me, and I wouldn’t get offended, or may be I should because he said there are "more weird colours than he produces in a lifetime", is that something okay to say compare to what I have said? It’s just an opinion at the end of the day. So, sorry Alan if you are offended. It’s just an opinion, may be it was too blunt but I am not going to lie, I would give you all the tips how I think the files would look better (IMO) but if that isn’t the look of what you are going for, it would be pointless (which btw, I have said that before too to Alan), but for me, for my work, those files, as presented, are unacceptable. I am not sure whether I should lie and be fake and say “that looks fab, I would put my name on that!” that is as much as an insult because you know it’s not true.

You can be insulted by the choice of a single word, I can’t help it if you feel that way, I can’t take it back now but the truth is the truth. You can go on and say “oh, that wasn’t what you said previously blah blah blah.” and want to argue more, but take this post as my last word on the matter and I consider it closed.

Raymond... Get over this.

- I'm not obsessed and neither am I unduly offended. How can I be obsessed when looking at what pictures I take and when for every manual lens picture I take I maybe take one, two or three pictures with AF lenses on my MFT and 1" cameras. Yes, I like using old and new manual lenses on my A7 but I have a life beyond this :D I do know the characteristics of my old and new lenses pretty well now, for example I'm sure you'd hate the out of camera colours from my Nikon 50mm f2 but if I want to change them less than a minute in CS5 gets them how I want them :D YMMV.

- How can I be offended when you're just a few lines of txt on line? I'm not one who lives and dies by on line comment so fill your boots but I would ask that you don't let this clog up the thread as no one else will give a flying.

- I sometimes process for a neutral look and sometimes for a more... artistic look... be it an old picture look or just something I think will suit the picture and my mood. If you think my pictures are off colour fine but don't judge the A7 or any other bit of kit by what I (or any one else do) take a balanced view and look at anything you might like from others, there's plenty of examples on line.

It's my 1st wedding anniversary at the weekend and if I take any pictures with my A7 I might just post some so sharpen your typing finger :D

You're ignoring that this started out because Alan said Fuji wasn't very good, yet others said they'd prefer Fuji over the Sony A7.

Manual glass may be a factor in how his images look, but we all know that old manual glass can still provide class images. So I don't think that approach is being knocked. Alan has certainly produced images with improved/different colour profiles, that was done quite recently in fact.

Raymond has stated why he wouldn't go with an A7 quite clearly I thought. Someone can not like the output they see from certain gear, that's fine. Raymond doesn't like the A7 output, Alan doesn't like the Fuji output. That's about the sum of it, quite how it descended into the depths it has I don't know but then this is the internet :D

Is that what I said?

I've downloaded and looked at raws from most but not all Fuji cameras and I do prefer my A7 files to them all. Colour is just one thing but as l almost always shoot raw and process for effect maybe in my innocence I don't see it as a deciding factor. I just prefer my A7 files to anything I've yet seen from Fuji. Maybe that has something to do with CS5 or something else I'm doing but at the mo I'm not going to swap my A7 for a Fuji for "file quality." I did go on to mention the other worldly colours in the Fuji thread but I do know that this is done to taste :D

And on my processing, go back to the early days and you'll still see a range from me...

I think this was one of the first I posted... A7 and Oly 50mm f1.8...

DSC00653.JPG

That looks pretty neutral to me and I think it's only in more recent times that I've started to process more for a slightly different look :D especially since I downloaded Nik Filters :D

Last edited:
Raymond... Get over this.

- I'm not obsessed and neither am I unduly offended. How can I be obsessed when looking at what pictures I take and when for every manual lens picture I take I maybe take one, two or three pictures with AF lenses on my MFT and 1" cameras. Yes, I like using old and new manual lenses on my A7 but I have a life beyond this :D I do know the characteristics of my old and new lenses pretty well now, for example I'm sure you'd hate the out of camera colours from my Nikon 50mm f2 but if I want to change them less than a minute in CS5 gets them how I want them :D YMMV.

- How can I be offended when you're just a few lines of txt on line? I'm not one who lives and dies by on line comment so fill your boots but I would ask that you don't let this clog up the thread as no one else will give a flying.

- I sometimes process for a neutral look and sometimes for a more... artistic look... be it an old picture look or just something I think will suit the picture and my mood. If you think my pictures are off colour fine but don't judge the A7 or any other bit of kit by what I (or any one else do) take a balanced view and look at anything you might like from others, there's plenty of examples on line.

It's my 1st wedding anniversary at the weekend and if I take any pictures with my A7 I might just post some so sharpen your typing finger :D

I stopped reading after you said "get over this" because

I said I consider it closed.

It seems YOU ARE THE ONE who wants to keep on arguing.

If you are not offended and really want to go into it then I can come out and tell you the elephant in the room. There is no nice way to say this except just to say it.

My feeling is that your photos does not come across as an image of someone trying for a certain look, it comes across like someone who doesn't know how to process or expose/white balance correctly. It doesn't appear it has a style, it appears as flaws, hence unacceptable for work, because others will see it as a flaw, not a style.

Jonney's photos above although has an aged look, and a colour tint, it looks intentional. Although that isn't my style, I can use that for certain projects.

Yours appears that you don't know what you are doing and this is how the colour palette of the images comes across, I am sure that is not your intention but it is how it is interpreted and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, from what others have pointed out too on your photos in the past and have made suggestions, I would say I am not alone in this.

Now you can take that as offensive or you can take that as constructive. And please note that at no time have I swore at you, at no time have I hide behind a smilie or say "give a flying". I am trying my best to level with you and tell you what I think is the truth, it's all I have been doing.

Last edited:
Something weird happened yesterday on my A7R3. I had a lens attached (Batis 85mm) and I pressed the review button. My last image popped up but only lasted for a fraction of a second before the screen reverted to normal mode. I pressed the menu button and the same thing happened.
Did the usual things, off/on, battery out/in and sd card similar, the problem still persisted. I then put the lens cap back on to the lens and the problem vanished and has not returned.
Any ideas?

Cheers. I was asked by a guy who's bought one of the first 10 Chromas if I had any flyers I wanted him to give out at large format workshops he runs. Of course, I never seem to take the simple option (print them) so decided to make them from the same 2mm acrylic I'm using in part of the camera assembly. Not like I haven't got enough work to do already!
Are you able to make me one of these.....

https://goo.gl/images/tGKmmM

:D

Do you want it engraved and infilled or have the Dolby branding cut from silver/chrome vinyl and stuck to gloss black acrylic?

What do you think will look the best?
It’s going to be for my home cinema :D

Last edited:
Back