The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How does the Godox do on the dance floor, do they have wireless flash triggers built in?

As good if not better than any system ive owned over Canon and Nikon

Works brilliantly, no misfires etc. Radio built in and the xpros is fab (dead simple to use)

Does it have IR focus assist?

Its listed as having focus assist, to be honest it was the first thing I used to switch off on every flash system Ive ever owned. Nothing worse than a red beam or grid on the bride and groom during dances, esp if theres videography

Its listed as having focus assist, to be honest it was the first thing I used to switch off on every flash system Ive ever owned. Nothing worse than a red beam or grid on the bride and groom during dances, esp if theres videography

Can you test to see if works?

It has the capability of AF assist but I dont think its enabled yet perhaps. Cant seem to get it working !

The ONLY situation where I need this is on the dance floor where the IR beam isn't a concern between the lights from the DJ and ambient light and people not really paying attention.

My worry is that in this situation the Sony will struggle to achieve focus fast enough, and FAST is where it has to be.

Without the IR assist even the 5D4 won't focus in the same situation.

The ONLY situation where I need this is on the dance floor where the IR beam isn't a concern between the lights from the DJ and ambient light and people not really paying attention.

My worry is that in this situation the Sony will struggle to achieve focus fast enough, and FAST is where it has to be.

Without the IR assist even the 5D4 won't focus in the same situation.

Having tried extensively with the godox flashes, you can not get the IR beam from the flash.

With the X1t and it’s latest firmware, you are able to enable it custom menu 10, and need to activate af assist in the camera, when the transmitter is on the camera you don’t then get then the stupid bright red led, but you do get the ir(/red light grid). Although I am not 100% it actually helps with the focusing in low light, I didn’t notice to much of a difference when testing it in a night club environment, which was actually more of a pain as I needed the flash on top of the camera. If you are lighting the wedding dancing with off camera flashes etc, then it might be worth a shot, but don’t hold your breath.

This is the only reason I am yet to sell my 5diii and go full Sony, my understanding is that the ir assist beams do not work with the on sensor focus points compared to the separate focus unit of the DSLR, but happily will be proven wrong.

zeiss.jpg

Interesting that it has a focus limiter on it as well. Going to assume it has some macro ability as well then
Distagon optical design
The shortest shooting distance is 0.24 m
With focus limiter (Full / ∞ ~ 0.4 m / 0.5 m to 0.24 m)
Filter diameter is 67 mm
Batis Size close to 85mm (40mm is slightly smaller)

I haven't had to buy any new SD cards for a while, thought I'd get a couple more for the A9. When did the prices go insane?! The last card I bought two years ago is now nearly double the price! Grumble...

Does one keep the 55/1.8 and 35/1.4 and supplement with a 40, or sell one, or both, and use the 40?

Tis the question I shall have to ponder. No ideas on price yet?

Pondering exactly the same thing :D
should i buy a 35mm/1.4 or wait and get this... especially if it has some sort of close focussing which would be very useful for me.

Pondering exactly the same thing :D
should i buy a 35mm/1.4 or wait and get this... especially if it has some sort of close focussing which would be very useful for me.
Yeah the close focusing is definitely a boon - the focus distance on the 55 is pretty poor. I’d maybe be tempted to go for a 40/85 setup. Although I’ll find it really hard to sell the 55, even if I won’t be using it! Love that lens.

Yeah the close focusing is definitely a boon - the focus distance on the 55 is pretty poor. I’d maybe be tempted to go for a 40/85 setup. Although I’ll find it really hard to sell the 55, even if I won’t be using it! Love that lens.

yeah took me a while to let go of mine too. Its brilliant little lens but I don't really use that focal length much.
I am finding it difficult to find an ART 35 :(

yeah took me a while to let go of mine too. Its brilliant little lens but I don't really use that focal length much.
I am finding it difficult to find an ART 35 :(

Due to the fact I use my 35 for video and photos, I’m sticking to the Sammy. Got a new one coming next week. Also not a fan of the bokeh on the Art. It could all be moot if I sell and buy the 40 anyway! [emoji1]

Due to the fact I use my 35 for video and photos, I’m sticking to the Sammy. Got a new one coming next week. Also not a fan of the bokeh on the Art. It could all be moot if I sell and buy the 40 anyway! [emoji1]

had both sammy and sony zeiss. Sammy's AF wasn't very reliable in my experience so I sold it.
Someone offered me £1K for Sony zeiss because it was a good copy so I sold it also lol (then used the money to buy A7RIII).

I had the sigma on Sony a-mount long back. yeah not a huge fan of the bokeh but it was pretty sharp and accurate.

Did you try LCE? Seem to be showing stock?

thanks, I'll give them a call :)

may be I should just buy another sony zeiss 35 :D

Last edited:
had both sammy and sony zeiss. Sammy's AF wasn't very reliable in my experience so I sold it.
Someone offered me £1K for Sony zeiss because it was a good copy so I sold it also lol (then used the money to buy A7RIII).

I had the sigma on Sony a-mount long back. yeah not a huge fan of the bokeh but it was pretty sharp and accurate.

thanks, I'll give them a call :)

may be I should just buy another sony zeiss 35 :D

I always see people moan about sigma art bokeh, cant say I find it offensive at all.

I always see people moan about sigma art bokeh, cant say I find it offensive at all.

the 50mm is more offensive, 35mm isn't too bad. It could be better...
May be I should adapt the canon now that I have mk3 body :D

But I must say looking back at pictures from my zeiss they look rather nice

the 50mm is more offensive, 35mm isn't too bad. It could be better...
May be I should adapt the canon now that I have mk3 body :D

But I must say looking back at pictures from my zeiss they look rather nice

It could be better if it had other optical compromises like the zeiss. ;)

Can we not ask whether @wibbly wants to shoot manual and put this to bed?

Wibbly asked whether the Sony A7 would be a good buy from what he has now.

Blimey, step away from a thread for a couple of days and it's all go! :eek:

In my case, I don't shoot manual and have no interest in manual in real terms, I have my old ETRS Bronica for that.

As far as the A7ii goes, tried one in a proper camera shop yesterday and to be honest, I'm quite happy with what I see.... each to their own. I've had lots of Fuji cameras (X-Pro1, X-Pro2, X-E2, X-T1, X100, X100s, X100t, X100f) to name just a few (that's a bit embarrassing isn't it when I think about all those cameras and still searching) and to be honest, I'm much more sold on the feel of them than I am the files from them. I've really tried to love them, trust me! I had another B*****d child of a camera last year, the Nikon Df which everyone seems to slaughter and I really liked it (sometimes I think I like oddball choices for cameras!). In real terms I should have kept that and forgot all about Fuji, but hey once bitten, grass always greener etc. and in real terms it was too big/heavy for everyday shooting for me.

Anyway, I think the a7ii is a good starting point for trying out the Sony range, I've never really liked the aesthetic or feel of the Sony cameras I've had in hand before, but actually the a72 feels pretty good.
Budget wise, I can't push to an a7iiR or the new a7iii and in real terms I don't need 42MP of the a7iiR, but if I get on with it then who knows for the future.

So, thanks all for the input and please let's not fall out about it.

Now then, to find a good low mileage Sony a7ii :D

Blimey, step away from a thread for a couple of days and it's all go! :eek:

In my case, I don't shoot manual and have no interest in manual in real terms, I have my old ETRS Bronica for that.

As far as the A7ii goes, tried one in a proper camera shop yesterday and to be honest, I'm quite happy with what I see.... each to their own. I've had lots of Fuji cameras (X-Pro1, X-Pro2, X-E2, X-T1, X100, X100s, X100t, X100f) to name just a few (that's a bit embarrassing isn't it when I think about all those cameras and still searching) and to be honest, I'm much more sold on the feel of them than I am the files from them. I've really tried to love them, trust me! I had another B*****d child of a camera last year, the Nikon Df which everyone seems to slaughter and I really liked it (sometimes I think I like oddball choices for cameras!). In real terms I should have kept that and forgot all about Fuji, but hey once bitten, grass always greener etc. and in real terms it was too big/heavy for everyday shooting for me.

Anyway, I think the a7ii is a good starting point for trying out the Sony range, I've never really liked the aesthetic or feel of the Sony cameras I've had in hand before, but actually the a72 feels pretty good.
Budget wise, I can't push to an a7iiR or the new a7iii and in real terms I don't need 42MP of the a7iiR, but if I get on with it then who knows for the future.

So, thanks all for the input and please let's not fall out about it.

Now then, to find a good low mileage Sony a7ii :D
If I'd had all those Fuji's I'd be embarrassed too, ;)

I'm building up quite the collection of these thanks to Sony and Wilkinson Cameras.

image1.jpeg

Last edited:
Not at the cost of each MP over 24 :D I’ve got two summer holidays and an autumn trip to NYC to pay for. :eek:
Between A7/ii and other bodies there definitely other noticiable improvements other than megapixels
Yeah sure but 42mp to make is a more fulfilling holiday :D

Back