The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Between A7/ii and other bodies there definitely other noticiable improvements other than megapixels
Yeah sure but 42mp to make is a more fulfilling holiday :D

Haha, let's walk before I run (away from the Wife if I bought an A72! :p

I think the a72 will give me a good run to see if I like the system and let me make a budget for an a7iii over the next few months.

The Sammy Is too loud for video and also sometimes miss focus on video
Due to the fact I use my 35 for video and photos, I’m sticking to the Sammy. Got a new one coming next week. Also not a fan of the bokeh on the Art. It could all be moot if I sell and buy the 40 anyway! [emoji1]

The Sammy Is too loud for video and also sometimes miss focus on video

I know what the Sammy’s like for video - I have one, lol. Focus wise I haven’t had an issue, but it certainly is a bit noisy. I’ll probably end up selling for the 40/2 anyway!

4 or 5 Sony weddings in and my muscle memory is adapting well. I'm still changing a few things every wedding. The Sigma Art 35 is utterly superb but the 25 batis is star of the show for me still. A few firmware changes and the A7III would be as close to perfect as a £2k camera could be.

the 50mm is more offensive, 35mm isn't too bad. It could be better...
May be I should adapt the canon now that I have mk3 body :D

But I must say looking back at pictures from my zeiss they look rather nice

Shot a wedding last month with the siggy 35mm being my main lens and have to so very disappointed with it compared to the zeiss and samyang. I must have been a lucky one and had a good zeiss. In terms of bokeh the sigma was much more nervous looking and not as nice as either the samyang or the zeiss. This was after a +15 calibration on the sigma. Sadly I won’t be using dslr anymore.

Shot a wedding last month with the siggy 35mm being my main lens and have to so very disappointed with it compared to the zeiss and samyang. I must have been a lucky one and had a good zeiss. In terms of bokeh the sigma was much more nervous looking and not as nice as either the samyang or the zeiss. This was after a +15 calibration on the sigma. Sadly I won’t be using dslr anymore.

Interesting on the bokeh, would love to see some examples of what people mean by the offensive and nervous looking bokeh etc, as well as what likes like good bokeh from the Zeiss and Samyang

Yep I have owned all three. I found samyang to be the best optical compromise out of the three. Only if it's AF was slightly better. Though I tried samyang on A7RII and now I have MK3. Maybe it'll be better hmm...

A lot of people think they are lucky with the Zeiss, they just dont check them properly. The Zeiss is smoother than both but I wouldn't say the Samyang is better than the Sigma.

The Samyang and Sigma look a little nervous in the same situations....... so does the Zeiss 55 which everyone applauds..... so do most modern lenses with very busy backgrounds (leaves) and shot from a little way back.

Last edited:
A lot of people think they are lucky with the Zeiss, they just dont check them properly. The Zeiss is smoother than both but I wouldn't say the Samyang is better than the Sigma.

The Samyang and Sigma look a little nervous in the same situations....... so does the Zeiss 55 which everyone applauds..... so do most modern lenses with very busy backgrounds (leaves) and shot from a little way back.

The zeiss was good enough for me. Used it and an 85mm solidly for a wedding and it seemed fine without obvious issues. But I’m never going to have time or will to start shooting brick walls to check.

The zeiss was good enough for me. Used it and an 85mm solidly for a wedding and it seemed fine without obvious issues. But I’m never going to have time or will to start shooting brick walls to check.

So you don't know you have a good one. Just that it was good enough.

I bought a Sony A7ii for my daughter yesterday and I can’t figure out something.

When she reviews an image on the camera it zooms to the centre point rather than the focus point... which is really pointless.

I assume this can be changed?

Ive got a Zeiss 35 1.4 as I loaned my Tamron 28-75 to a videographer friend to use at a wedding. He has loaned me his 35 as it will be a backup for my wedding on Tuesday.

Gonna check it out here and see how they stack up !

I was cleaning it there with the rocket blower and noticed debris blow out when I cleaned the front element. Is there meant to be a gap between the front element and the bit that its connected to ?20180708_185249.jpg

I was cleaning it there with the rocket blower and noticed debris blow out when I cleaned the front element. Is there meant to be a gap between the front element and the bit that its connected to ?View attachment 130035

Not that I have noticed.
This lens has one of the best weathersealing. If anything is not as per that then there is something wrong with it.

But may be there is a small gap - https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/12/sony-fe-35mm-f1-4-za-lens-teardown/

I've probably got 300+ Sigma 35 Art photos in my portfolio and I can't say I've ever noticed fussy or intrusive bokeh. If I don't notice it I can be 100% confident my clients don't either.

Would love to see some examples.

Any using the native Sigma ART lenses yet?

What are your thoughts generally, as well as with regards to AF performance, sharpness etc..

What are your thoughts generally, as well as with regards to AF performance, sharpness etc..

I use the native arts, for stills they work absolutely brilliant. Like a perfect version of the dslr ones minus the crap af fine tune necessity

I notice a weird thing with adaptor via mc-11 yesterday and today. I’m not really sure what happened but there’s seems to be like a pause/delay from pressing the shutter to the shot being taking, then it would be totally fine again and it seems intermittent and if I put a native lens on and it goes away. Not sure what’s going on.

o
I've probably got 300+ Sigma 35 Art photos in my portfolio and I can't say I've ever noticed fussy or intrusive bokeh. If I don't notice it I can be 100% confident my clients don't either.

Would love to see some examples.

Notice any weird streaks/smearing in the corners of your photos? I've seen quite a few examples of it - bit weird.

Bokeh wise, Sammy has a touch more CA, but rounder bokeh (as you move out from the centre, the Art's bokeh turns cat eyed, which i'm not a fan of).

Just ordered the A7iii with F4 24-105 (London Camera Exchange).
My 5Dii is starting to feel like a dinosaur and experience with the RX100V has been very positive.
I'm in two minds about getting one of these adapters to use the lovely Canon F4 70-200 and Sigma F1.4 50mm
I'm thinking the Sony 24-105 will do everything I need.

Just ordered the A7iii with F4 24-105 (London Camera Exchange).
My 5Dii is starting to feel like a dinosaur and experience with the RX100V has been very positive.
I'm in two minds about getting one of these adapters to use the lovely Canon F4 70-200 and Sigma F1.4 50mm
I'm thinking the Sony 24-105 will do everything I need.
If it's sigma ART you can get a native version also now. Unless you need the f1.4 I'd suggest the FE55 which is every bit as sharp as ART but weighs a lot less. There is also a Sony 70-200mm f4 which is decent.

Can't imagine a better 35mm 1.4 at that price. Af and sharpness esp are amazing. Id love a 1.8 version for weight reasons, but even still it's not unusably heavy on 12hour shoots.

I'm not a wall-shooting, pixel-peeping, bokeh-analyzer though.

Can't imagine a better 35mm 1.4 at that price. Af and sharpness esp are amazing. Id love a 1.8 version for weight reasons, but even still it's not unusably heavy on 12hour shoots.

I'm not a wall-shooting, pixel-peeping, bokeh-analyzer though.

Even if you were you wouldn't find much wrong. Awesome lens and a complete bargain compared to the Zeiss.

650 v 1350 quid.

Even if you were you wouldn't find much wrong. Awesome lens and a complete bargain compared to the Zeiss.

650 v 1350 quid.

I tested both lastnight and I prefer the Sigma. Its definitely a sharper lens. Size wise theyre also almost the exact same.

I tested both lastnight and I prefer the Sigma. Its definitely a sharper lens. Size wise theyre also almost the exact same.
It's definitely sharper wide open but Zeiss is sharper past f2.

Regardless how does the AF of both compare?

Meh, buy an f1.4 lens to shoot at f2.8.... nope. Not to mention the CA and decentering. Edit Doesn't look sharper over f2 at dxo.

DXO say they both have same CA.

Zeiss does look evenly sharper from f1.8 at DXO.

not to mention zeiss also has higher peak sharpness according to DXO.

If the QC was better zeiss is definitely a better overall lens. Renders lot nicely too which is more important than critical sharpness at f1.4.

View media item 13267
think I just convinced myself to buy another zeiss :banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
DXO say they both have same CA.

Zeiss does look evenly sharper from f1.8 at DXO.

not to mention zeiss also has higher peak sharpness according to DXO.

If the QC was better zeiss is definitely a better overall lens. Renders lot nicely too which is more important than critical sharpness at f1.4.

View media item 13267

Lets do a real comparison with equal MP cameras shall we....

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 13.04.16.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 13.04.48.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 13.05.47.png

Lets do a real comparison with equal MP cameras shall we....

I suggest you look at my comparison again. My comparison is more 'real' than yours.
It was zeiss on A7RII vs. sigma on A99II both of which basically have the exact same 42mp sensor.

Why don't you post screen shots of above two which is more apples vs. apples than your comparison :p

Last edited:
Back