The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They haven't changed the AF motors and I'd be very surprised if it's as good as FE35

1) - sure but not rest of the lens. Sony is missing on mount (for some insane reason)
2) what about video?
3) sure, I prefer 67mm because it matches my other lens
4) - yes

It's a DSLR lens hacked to work for mirrorless. There is no getting away from that.

The AF behaves differently, wether its a motor change which you wouldn't know about or not it does behave differently. I have used all these lenses including the FE versions which you haven't so you don't really know the differences. Youre basing your comparison against the DSLR version on a DSLR camera.

1) So glad we cleared up that it does have weather sealing
2) What about it? Id rather have the fastest and quietest video AF lens, the 55mm and that I can buy with my £650 saving
4) Maybe just you then and people who like a slower approach or lots of video

Hey, it works, AF is fast, accurate, silent and its cheap with arguably better optics.

Last edited:

Would value your input on why nope, realise it’s probably been shared somewhere in this thread that I have missed along the way, but no hope of finding it again ... a lot of the reviews of the l me seem favourable so will be good to hear another side

Would value your input on why nope, realise it’s probably been shared somewhere in this thread that I have missed along the way, but no hope of finding it again ... a lot of the reviews of the l me seem favourable so will be good to hear another side

Ill reply a little later, both have strengths and weaknesses, time for lunch!

The AF behaves differently, wether its a motor change which you wouldn't know about or not it does behave differently. I have used all these lenses including the FE versions which you haven't so you don't really know the differences. Youre basing your comparison against the DSLR version on a DSLR camera.

1) So glad we cleared up that it does have weather sealing
2) What about it? Id rather have the fastest and quietest video AF lens, the 55mm and that I can buy with my £650 saving
4) Maybe just you then and people who like a slower approach or lots of video

Hey, it works, AF is fast, accurate, silent and its cheap with arguably better optics.

1) errr no where did I agree to it. having rubber seal on mount is not same as weathersealing.
2) so 55mm is same as 35mm now? if its all about what you rather have there isn't much point carrying on with an objective comparison is there!
4) again not about me or you (also its not slower)

yeah it partly works by sounds of it.

not sure why you are taking sigma so personally.

Last edited:
Sigma Fanboy? Hehe
1) errr no where did I agree to it. having rubber seal on mount is not same as weathersealing.
2) so 55mm is same as 35mm now? if its all about what you rather have there isn't much point carrying on with an objective comparison is there!

1) Errr not having a rubber seal on the mount is not properly weather sealed. ;)
2) No, but you keep taking it down that road. You said the Sony and Samyang are better, they are not. You haven't even used the Sigma FE lenses.

Last edited:
1) Errr not having a rubber seal on the mount is not properly weather sealed. ;)
2) No, but you keep taking it down that road.

You said the Sony and Samyang are better, they are not. You haven't even used the Sigma FE lenses.

I will use it one day :D
Hopefully won't be too long before I can find one on used market

Samyang is sharper than Sony +
Samyang may require dock to tweak AF and update FW, mine did -
Samyang has better CA control than Sony +
Samyang has a slightly warmer cast -
Samyang is MUCH cheaper +
Sony is better built and looks nicer +
Sony has slightly nicer OOF +
Sony has QC issues with the optics -
Sony has better CAF +
Sony has better video AF +

I really struggled with a fast 35mm choice in E mount because both have pros and cons, it took me ages to compare these two lenses because they are both good lenses in different ways. Ive never tested 2 lenses as much. Usually its a 10 min job.

Ive been a long time Sigma 35 ART user on other mounts and I now have that in E mount to compare against the samples I took previously, but I kinda know what to expect. Its 30% more expensive than the Samyang, but then the Sony is 175% more expensive than the Samyang

Decide whats most important and go from there.

Last edited:
Sony has better CAF +

I really struggled with a fast 35mm choice in E mount because both have pros and cons, it took me ages to compare these two lenses because they are both good lenses in different ways. Ive never tested 2 lenses as much. Usually its a 10 min job.

Ive been a long time Sigma 35 ART user on other mounts and I now have that in E mount to compare against the samples I took previously, but I kinda know what to expect. Its 30% more expensive than the Samyang, but then the Sony is 175% more expensive than the Samyang

Quality bruv. It's coming home

Wait and see. I never owned Nikon branded lenses for long so for me it's all about the camera, badge meh. I'd be surprised if Nikon can sell the body and 35 1.4 for less than an a7iii and 35 art (2600 quid). I'm seeing 3k for body and slow 2470f4 kit lens.

Sony is a much more mature milc system and Nikon will take time to catch up. Maybe in a couple years a switch would be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Wait and see. I never owned Nikon branded lenses for long so for me it's all about the camera, badge meh. I'd be surprised if Nikon can sell the body and 35 1.4 for less than an a7iii and 35 art (2600 quid). I'm seeing 3k for body and slow 2470f4 kit lens.

They have nice set of f1.8 G lenses too that can be adapted and apparently there'll be an adapter from nikon for that.

They have nice set of f1.8 G lenses too that can be adapted and apparently there'll be an adapter from nikon for that.

This had to be their interim option, I owned the 1.8g lenses, they were alright. Not great.

I got my a7iii for a price that Nikon can't come close to and with better lens options I can use now. No point in switching early.... I can't see Nikon's 1st camera being better than the a7iii.... Plus reliability.

This had to be their interim option, I owned the 1.8g lenses, they were alright. Not great.

I got my a7iii for a price that Nikon can't come close to and with better lens options I can use now. No point in switching early.... I can't see Nikon's 1st camera being better than the a7iii.... Plus reliability.
How much did you get it for? :eek:

Thinking of swapping the 55/1.8 for an 85.

Which 85 do I go for? All opinions welcome.

Fe 1.8, bargain lens with brilliant assignable button.

That was any first thought - but I thought I’d throw it out there if anyone had any better suggestions! What’s the script with the 85 Art?

Good lens but twice the price and humungo and heavy.

I’d much prefer something lighter (part of the reason why I just can’t get rid of the 55 - it’s pretty much pocketable.)

BUT! I use the 35 most of the time, 55 isn’t tight enough and I have the 16-35 for wide. I’d be tempted to buy a wide angle prime at some point too. 70-200 or equiv I’ll bother with later, it’s not high in my priorities just now.

I’ll get gandering at the 85/1.8.

Sony has better CAF +

Thanks Twist for the detailed response, have the samyang 35mm, and a good cure for GAS hearing others feedback, pretty happy so far with it, but not as experienced with as wide as range of different glass as others to compare with.

Thanks Twist for the detailed response, have the samyang 35mm, and a good cure for GAS hearing others feedback, pretty happy so far with it, but not as experienced with as wide as range of different glass as others to compare with.

Can't get another 35 1.4 FF lens that performs as well brand new for 500 notes.

Back