The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've seen the mention of AFS issues but tbh I hate AFS on Sony cams. It's crap, so The issue mentioned is a non issue.

I hope you read the review @nandbytes, time to put that cancellation in ;)

An Excellent performance with sharpness a little bit better in the centre vs the Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss but much better (1 grade) than this one in the corner

CA are much better than the Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4

BokehBalls are very good, perfectly circular with no visible onion rings, they become ovals on the side (classic on a F1.4 lens) on par with the Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss

Excellent sharpness , low distorsion , low CA, better than Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss

Good thing the SZ has that aperture ring for another 700 quid eh :D

Last edited:
I've seen the mention of AFS issues but tbh I hate AFS on Sony cams. It's crap, so The issue mentioned is a non issue.

I hope you read the review @nandbytes, time to put that cancellation in ;)

An Excellent performance with sharpness a little bit better in the centre vs the Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss but much better (1 grade) than this one in the corner

CA are much better than the Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4

BokehBalls are very good, perfectly circular with no visible onion rings, they become ovals on the side (classic on a F1.4 lens) on par with the Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss

Excellent sharpness , low distorsion , low CA, better than Sony Distagon FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss

Good thing the SZ has that aperture ring for another 700 quid eh :D

lol basically a lens which can't even lock-on properly. AF-S and DMF are useful features and they exist for a reason. Its not a non-issue just because you hate it/don't use it. It can't even perform the simplest of AF functions properly. What a load of BS.

So AF-S doesn't work, DMF doesn't work, AF in video doesn't work nicely. Basically AF doesn't work.
Even the samyang manages this pretty well.

I am glad I didn't buy a new sigma.

Last edited:
Getting focus is MOST critical.

You can be sharp as you like, if you can't get focus, the lens is garbage.

Ok….."garbage" is a bit extreme but between a lens with better focus with 2nd rate sharpness vs worse focus and better sharpness. I'd pick the one with better focus.

It's the same principle as I rather have a grainy image than a clear one but full of camera shake.

Which reminds me why I didn't get a Sigma for the Canon….the AF was not as good :p

I did two shoots this week with nothing but a 35 Art and didn't miss focus once over about 1400 images, including low light situations. If the Sigma has sub-par AF then the Zeiss must be supernatural.

That being said, I'd ditch it if Sony ever give us a decent 1.8 35FE.

I did two shoots this week with nothing but a 35 Art and didn't miss focus once over about 1400 images, including low light situations. If the Sigma has sub-par AF then the Zeiss must be supernatural.

That being said, I'd ditch it if Sony ever give us a decent 1.8 35FE.
Batis 40mm f2 is on its way...

lol basically a lens which can't even lock-on properly. AF-S and DMF are useful features and they exist for a reason. Its not a non-issue just because you hate it/don't use it. It can't even perform the simplest of AF functions properly. What a load of BS.

So AF-S doesn't work, DMF doesn't work, AF in video doesn't work nicely. Basically AF doesn't work.
Even the samyang manages this pretty well.

I am glad I didn't buy a new sigma.

You and Ray are hilarious, are you saying you can't get a lock with AFC? AFS is a joke on Sony cameras.

You and Ray are hilarious, are you saying you can't get a lock with AFC? AFS is a joke on Sony cameras.
AF-S/DMF is not a joke!
Yeah it'll lock-on static subjects and then start trying to track it which leads to misfocusses. Not to mention AF-S/DMF is dead accurate which AF-C isn't while it'll manage most of the time.
If you don't know when to use which AF mode not sure i would want to take any more opinions from you about AF.
Simply claiming something is joke with no reason or backing is in it self a joke.

Last edited:
Sorry twist but your opinion about af is a joke after reading your posts!

Having used AFS and the A7R2, A9, A7III with Batis, Sony Zeiss, Tamron and Sigma lenses I totally agree with twist - its crap. AFC works wonderfully for me 10+ weddings later

Last edited by a moderator:
AF-S/DMF is not a joke!
Yeah it'll lock-on static subjects and then start trying to track it which leads to misfocusses. Not to mention AF-S/DMF is dead accurate which AF-C isn't while it'll manage most of the time.
If you don't know when to use which AF mode not sure i would want to take any more opinions from you about AF.
Simply claiming something is joke with no reason or backing is in it self a joke.

Are you mad in your head? AFC doesn't track, it continually focuses on the point youre telling it to unless you tell it to track with lock on, the A7 focus system is clever enough not to hunt with static subjects while using single point in AFC.

You clearly need to learn about the A7 AF modes.

Having used AFS and the A7R2, A9, A7III with Batis, Sony Zeiss, Tamron and Sigma lenses I totally agree with twist - its crap. AFC works wonderfully for me 10+ weddings later
It's not crap its dead accurate.

I still haven't heard a reasonable explanation or backing from you or twist as to why its crap/joke/useless etc etc.

Are you mad in your head? AFC doesn't track, it continually focuses on the point youre telling it to unless you tell it to track with lock on, the A7 focus system is clever enough not to hunt with static subjects while using single point in AFC.

You clearly need to learn about the A7 AF modes.
If you use AF-C for anything and everything I don't think it's me that needs the lessons.

Also kinda explains why your samyang lens needs "MFA" lol

Last edited:
Lol ok keep telling yourself that. I don't have time to educate you.

Its in your post, I don't need to. I know how to use different AF modes, I just don't need to as AFC can do static locks just fine and faster than AFS.

Please, educate me some more, like the CA difference and weather sealing between the 35 lenses and that the Samyang lenses cant be MAd using the dock, please also carry on educating me about lenses you've never used that I actually own!

Last edited:
Its in your post, I don't need to. I know how to use different AF modes, I just don't need to as AFC can do static locks just fine and faster than AFS.

Please, educate me some more, like the CA difference and weather sealing between the 35 lenses and that the Samyang lenses cant be MAd using the dock, please also carry on educating me about lenses you've never used.
:LOL:

Please, educate me some more, like the CA difference and weather sealing between the 35 lenses and that the Samyang lenses cant be MAd using the dock, please also carry on educating me about lenses you've never used that I actually own!
Ok good for you. You get your shots and I do mine.
I am not carrying on down this road since it doesn't seem constructive.
I am happy to debate a point but I think this is getting into argument territory which isn't helpful for either of us.

Last edited:
Back to other business :D
Anyone seen this review of samyang 24mm/2.8 -
View: https://youtu.be/59W2bPpsQYE

Not the most extensive AF test but does look promising. It's almost silent now. Seems like samyang have improved on thier AF. Hoping they make a nice reliable decently sized 85mm/1.4

Back to other business :D
Anyone seen this review of samyang 24mm/2.8 -
View: https://youtu.be/59W2bPpsQYE

Not the most extensive AF test but does look promising. It's almost silent now. Seems like samyang have improved on thier AF. Hoping they make a nice reliable decently sized 85mm/1.4

Also available on eBay now via SRS Microsystems for £280.

You're not a happy sunny sort of guy are you... When you were little did no one ever tell you to play nice or that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar... :D

You're not a happy sunny sort of guy are you... When you were little did no one ever tell you to play nice or that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar... :D

Oh you're getting involved? I think most know what you're like Alan and have already made it pretty clear without me even getting involved. Maybe next time I will though seeing as you seem to like doing that.

When you were little didn't your mum tell you not to stick your nose where it doesn't belong. :D

Last edited:
Omg had a break from here I’ve not missed much have I ha ha. Oops

Right now I am in the spending mood now the new career is settled.

Want a macro lens. Pretty sure it be best getting the Sony?

Back