The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Wasn't particularly slow tbh. It actually took me a while to fill the buffer in the first place. I am not sure who'd hold the shutter down that long. Normally you'd burst in short periods when you expect some kinda action rather than holding it down?

Not saying it couldnt be faster. Sure it could but it does not seem to be such a big issue.
Uncompressed raw you can only shoot for 3 odd seconds and it takes nearly a minute to completely clear buffer.

So if you burst shoot for just 2 seconds. Take another burst in 10 seconds. You will fill the buffer easily.

Uncompressed raw you can only shoot for 3 odd seconds and it takes nearly a minute to completely clear buffer.

So if you burst shoot for just 2 seconds. Take another burst in 10 seconds. You will fill the buffer easily.

ah I generally shoot compressed RAW. I am still to come across a situation where I really needed uncompressed RAW. I know its cool to under expose your shots by 6 stops but I prefer to expose them properly :p

Last edited:

Do you find any real world benefit, compared against the negatives, to shooting uncompressed raw for the work you do Jonney? From what I've read online, and examples I've seen, I haven't been convinced about the benefits other than online bloggers using it to get hits on their videos.

I know the 70-300 is an FE lens but it's still fairly compact and I doubt an APS-C lens would be much smaller.

Well, if you look at A-Mount, the 70-300 GII is 135mm, 750g, £899 while the aps-c 55-300 DT is 116.5mm, 460g £299

I appreciate the GII is superior to the DT, but it is also 3x the price and over 1.5x the weight - so there is clearly scope for something similar in E-Mount.

Do you find any real world benefit, compared against the negatives, to shooting uncompressed raw for the work you do Jonney? From what I've read online, and examples I've seen, I haven't been convinced about the benefits other than online bloggers using it to get hits on their videos.

there is a slight benefit if you are shooting highly dynamic scenes like in landscapes. But for shooting action there is seldom any real benefit.

there is a slight benefit if you are shooting highly dynamic scenes like in landscapes. But for shooting action there is seldom any real benefit.
I have to agree with these comments, I have been using compressed RAW since the very beginning and I am yet to come across a situation where I needed that extra DR headroom when pushing the files.
Yes some photographers may need the extra top end using uncompressed files but doubt I ever will. :) besides, it seriously reduces the fps ability of the Sony A9 which kind of defeats the point for action / sports photographers.

That's generally why we have graduated ND's but if I was shooting landscape I wouldn't be machine gunning so like you say, not much benefit for anything else I imagine.

I found someone who was selling the canon 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM with fungus plus a camera bag for £20. So I took a small risk and bought it. The lens was rather easy to remove and the fungus cleaned out nicely without leaving any marks. The bag was also surprisingly useful and I used it for a year till I replaced it with a tenba DNA 10. Then I sold the bag the £10. So I essentially paid £10 for the lens :D

I love a good bargain, nice.

I have to agree with these comments, I have been using compressed RAW since the very beginning and I am yet to come across a situation where I needed that extra DR headroom when pushing the files.
Yes some photographers may need the extra top end using uncompressed files but doubt I ever will. :) besides, it seriously reduces the fps ability of the Sony A9 which kind of defeats the point for action / sports photographers.
Yea true

That's generally why we have graduated ND's but if I was shooting landscape I wouldn't be machine gunning so like you say, not much benefit for anything else I imagine.

haven't carried ND grad in a while now :D
mainly because (Sony) sensors are so good these days and ND grads are a pain to use/carry. If I buy circular ones it limits the composition but I am not keen on carrying square filters everywhere.

I now simply carry a CPL, 3 stop and 10 stop circular filters.

Probably an easy one, but if I have a Nissin Air/Di700a combo for Fuji, can I just sell the Air, replace it with a Sony one and keep the Di700a? I'm assuming the flash is the same and it's just the Air unit that is system specific.

Anyone had any issues with the paint rubbing off on the A7iii? My friends A7Rii has some pretty bad rub marks.

It’s on the corners and slight bit on the top hump. Nothing major. Might just be a rough bag!

yeah the very edges of the corners will rub off mainly because they are sharp edges which easily loose paint compared to rounded off edges. But Its nothing major and something not immediately noticeable unless you are looking for it.

But if its particularly bad/noticeable then I think its your friend rather than the body itself. I regularly used my camera and it goes on a trip pretty much every weekend. So it can't be through normal regular use.

I'll also add Sony's painting is terrible when it comes to lenses, especially the expensive Zeiss ones (typical I know!). It easily scratches and leaves marks.

Last edited:
I decided that my life would not be complete without one of these:
43950276421_3d95980636_o.jpg

Kirk BL-A9 L-Bracket for Sony Alpha A9, A7 MkIII and A7R MkIII
150 of your English pounds in the UK:eek: but £109 in the USA...(thank you daughter in NYC)

yeah the very edges of the corners will rub off mainly because they are sharp edges which easily loose paint compared to rounded off edges. But Its nothing major and something not immediately noticeable unless you are looking for it.

But if its particularly bad/noticeable then I think its your friend rather than the body itself. I regularly used my camera and it goes on a trip pretty much every weekend. So it can't be through normal regular use.

I'll also add Sony's painting is terrible when it comes to lenses, especially the expensive Zeiss ones (typical I know!). It easily scratches and leaves marks.

My old Pentax K5 was the worst for paint I think. It seemed to flake off if you looked at it wrong!!

Probably an easy one, but if I have a Nissin Air/Di700a combo for Fuji, can I just sell the Air, replace it with a Sony one and keep the Di700a? I'm assuming the flash is the same and it's just the Air unit that is system specific.

Yup it works fine, I kept my Fuji i60a and use it on my Sony with a Sony Air1 :)

Sharp metal edges Vs plastic covered DSLR. The paint will wear with friction.

As for the lenses, as you say they wear fast but the thin paint looks stunning.... Till it wears on cheaper nylon padding. Keep it in a sock or similar in the bag.

Like these should do it...

100pcs-lot-Colorful-Wool-Knit-Sock-Pouch-Case-Bag-for-iPhone-8-Plus-7-Plus-iPhone.jpg

Last edited:
Sharp metal edges Vs plastic covered DSLR. The paint will wear with friction.
Depends on the paint used. ;) :rolleyes:

As for the lenses, as you say they wear fast but the thin paint looks stunning.... Till it wears. Keep it in a sock or similar in the bag.

Or keep the lenses in a cupboard, preferably with a glass front, so you can see, but not use and wear out. ;) :LOL:

Hi.can you recommend me prime Tele manual lens used specifically for travelling. F4 or more light gathering I would like.thanks

Have you noticed it causing any rub marks on the bottom of the grip? Took mine off for the first time in a while and noticed a small mark where it touches at the bottom of the grip, wondering if it’s a design flaw or a flaw in mine where it’s nots been machined enough

I've actually gone back to the Lim's leather case as it's lighter but kept the Smallrig when i want a L Bracket.

Hi.can you recommend me prime Tele manual lens used specifically for travelling. F4 or more light gathering I would like.thanks
What do you mean by light?

A 300mm f4 will be fairly chunky AF or MF.

The Nikon PF 300mm f4 is probably the lightest best 300mm f4. Switch to Nikon mirrorless :D

But if you want to play the light game get the samyang 300mm f6.3 mirror lens. It's an APS-C lens but you will still have plenty resolution on A7RIII in crop mode. It's not much bigger than a standard kit lens :D

Last edited:
He said more light gathering... F4 or faster
Let me know when you find a 300mm f1.4 pancake lens. I'll order 2 of those.

He said for traveling. Not sure most 300mm fast primes would classed as traveling lens

Last edited:
Is anyone who switched [ from any APSC or M4/3 system ] to Sony earlier FF models happy with their decision? Like the A7/II/R - are they really far behind the current snazzy ones like the A7III? [more a question for those who have been through the line] - Do you find the lens selection limiting on a budget? How many of you have tried AF adapters for Canon glass?

Just in my ever-ponder mode, appreciate any answers cheers.

Should probably add I'm a photographer first and foremost, but do dabble a little in video. Been eyeing APSC Canon also. Currently using a Panasonic G80 M4/3 camera that I would really like, only it's giving me nothing but hassles! I have used FF for years btw, never missed the bulk of the hefty lenses, but oft miss the DR and general freedom of the RAW files

That sounded a bit like a CV, just a general querie

Last edited:
I had an A7,,from numerous apsc and m4/3’s at one point.

Summing up. I didn’t like the colours I was getting from it,found the lens choice inadequate,found the adaptor connection poor
and the menu system confusing though I did work it out eventually.

To be honest I was disappointed and sold it on after a few weeks.

Having said that Alan loves his and has a ton of adaptive lenses
:rolleyes:;).

I found the 6D enjoyable with nice colours and was happier with that.

My fav ff was the d750.

I’m now very happy with my M100 despite its entry level stamp.guess that says a lot about me eh :ROFLMAO:

I found someone who was selling the canon 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM with fungus plus a camera bag for £20. So I took a small risk and bought it. The lens was rather easy to remove and the fungus cleaned out nicely without leaving any marks. The bag was also surprisingly useful and I used it for a year till I replaced it with a tenba DNA 10. Then I sold the bag the £10. So I essentially paid £10 for the lens :D

Nice!

Just reminded me of various bargains found in the mid 1990s at the annual Jessops sale of lenses they'd hold in March.
But then once I took an impulsive risk on a dirt-cheap 600mm f8 mirror, (might have been a Centon minolta fit?). Used it twice, the second time cos I couldnt believe how bad it was
:LOL:

Last edited:
Is anyone who switched [ from any APSC or M4/3 system ] to Sony earlier FF models happy with their decision? Like the A7/II/R - are they really far behind the current snazzy ones like the A7III? [more a question for those who have been through the line] - Do you find the lens selection limiting on a budget? How many of you have tried AF adapters for Canon glass?

Just in my ever-ponder mode, appreciate any answers cheers.

Should probably add I'm a photographer first and foremost, but do dabble a little in video. Been eyeing APSC Canon also. Currently using a Panasonic G80 M4/3 camera that I would really like, only it's giving me nothing but hassles! I have used FF for years btw, never missed the bulk of the hefty lenses, but oft miss the DR and general freedom of the RAW files

That sounded a bit like a CV, just a general querie

I moved from m43 to a Sony A7R2 and ended up buying way too many lenses.
I like the Sony kit and have no regrets, I did sort of run m43 and the A7R2 side by side for a wee while but sold the m43 kit.
I used a Fotodiox adapter with a couple of Canon lenses on the A7R2 for a while (105mm and 70-200L) and they worked OK, although I eventually bought a Sony FE70-300 and sold the 60-200.
I currently have an A72 with 4 lenses and have sold the rest, and I'm quite content.

Back