The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Dozen's of 'em on eBay and Amasod. There's a copy of the RM-VPR1 by Fotga at only £22 but I find the basic ones branded iShoot or Shoot work well.

200mm will do.any FD mount ones?

I've been looking at the same thing myself.
There seems to a few different Canon 200mm f4 fd lenses, likewise Nikon 200mm ais lenses, been looking for any info on how they perform on the A7R series mainly for landscapes without to much luck. Probably just going to end up getting a cheap one and seeing how it goes.

200mm will do.any FD mount ones?
The smallest is the Voigtlander 180mm 4.0 SL APO-Lanthar and if you can afford it, it's a stunner.

Most other legacy 200mm f4 are not exactly small. Nikon AI, contax Zeiss and a Meyer 200mm f4 are probably the next smallest. I think there is a small Oly OM 200mm f5 also.

If you want f2.8 then again they get bigger and heavier. At which point you are better off buying the Minolta AF 200mm f2.8 HS lens which even today is best in its class. Of course there is also the canon EF 200mm f2.8

Last edited:
The smallest is the Voigtlander 180mm 4.0 SL APO-Lanthar and if you can afford it, it's a stunner.

Most other legacy 200mm f4 are not exactly small. Nikon AI, contax Zeiss and a Meyer 200mm f4 are probably the next smallest. I think there is a small Oly OM 200mm f5 also.

If you want f2.8 then again they get bigger and heavier. At which point you are better off buying the Minolta AF 200mm f2.8 HS lens which even today is best in its class. Of course there is also the canon EF 200mm f2.8

Looking at the Canon 200mm f4 one of them weighs less than 500g and like you say the Oly 200 f5 is under 400g. The Oly 200mm f4 is just under 500g.

Spent about 3 hours last night deliberating over the Sigma Art 85mm 1.4 and 135mm 1.4 (3 hours I was supposed to be editing the latest wedding!)

The Sony Zeiss 135mm 1.8 was/is the best lens I’ve ever owned but that was pre-weddings, and I’m just not sure how practical a 135 will be considering it will be teaming up with the 35mm 1.4. I went with the 85, which I’m sure will be stunning, but already regretting it a bit! A 105mm 1.8 would have been ideal, a shame (for me) that they went crazy with the 105 and made it a beastly f1.4.

Last edited:
Did you have compromising photos of the buyer that you threatened to show his wife? :eek:

Damn, didn’t think of that..

Nah - sold it in my wife’s country of birth. Turns out, everything camera related here is rather expensive!

Spent about 3 hours last night deliberating over the Sigma Art 85mm 1.4 and 135mm 1.4 (3 hours I was supposed to be editing the latest wedding!)

The Sony Zeiss 135mm 1.8 was/is the best lens I’ve ever owned but that was pre-weddings, and I’m just not sure how practical a 135 will be considering it will be teaming up with the 35mm 1.4. I went with the 85, which I’m sure will be stunning, but already regretting it a bit! A 105mm 1.8 would have been ideal, a shame (for me) that they went crazy with the 105 and made it a beastly f1.4.
Get an A99II and you'll have eyeAF with the Zeiss 135mm/1.8. it's very tempting to move back to a-mount sometimes :D

Read some of the reviews about it's the one to get saw the price and that's as far as it went. Didn't realise it was that small.
It's basically a collectors item now. But still an amazing performer in a tiny package with rather close focussing too. There is nothing like it.

Get an A99II and you'll have eyeAF with the Zeiss 135mm/1.8. it's very tempting to move back to a-mount sometimes :D

I actually considered this as a second body last night, then I realised a) they're like rocking horse poo, and b) rather expensive.

I'm considering upgrading soon and the Sony A7iii is top of my list. However, I just noticed in jessops that the Sony A7iii is £2000 but the Sony A7Rii is £2000 with £400 cashback which makes it £1600. What you guys go with? I want it for potrait photography.

Picture, or it didn't happen :D
43915277812_f084050ba8_b.jpg

I'm considering upgrading soon and the Sony A7iii is top of my list. However, I just noticed in jessops that the Sony A7iii is £2000 but the Sony A7Rii is £2000 with £400 cashback which makes it £1600. What you guys go with? I want it for potrait photography.

With a £400 difference I'd probably opt for the new a7iii, but used a7Riis are a steal now so I'd get one of those from a reputable source. You could a used a7Rii and a £800 lens for the price of a new a7iii.

I had an A7,,from numerous apsc and m4/3’s at one point.

Summing up. I didn’t like the colours I was getting from it,found the lens choice inadequate,found the adaptor connection poor
and the menu system confusing though I did work it out eventually.

To be honest I was disappointed and sold it on after a few weeks.

Having said that Alan loves his and has a ton of adaptive lenses
:rolleyes:;).

I found the 6D enjoyable with nice colours and was happier with that.

My fav ff was the d750.

I’m now very happy with my M100 despite its entry level stamp.guess that says a lot about me eh :ROFLMAO:

You sound as indecisive as me for sure :D - my camera journey went like - A million compacts > Fuji bridge s1000fd > Sony A200 > Nikon D200 > Nikon D90 > Nikon D800E [started to look a bit Nikon fanboy until ...] > Fuji X-T1/Xpro1 > Olympus Em5 > Panasonic G80. Never owned a Canon, have barely ever even held one. Something inside urges me to at least give them a go! If I had followed through after the Sony A200 who knows what I'd be using today

I moved from m43 to a Sony A7R2 and ended up buying way too many lenses.
I like the Sony kit and have no regrets, I did sort of run m43 and the A7R2 side by side for a wee while but sold the m43 kit.
I used a Fotodiox adapter with a couple of Canon lenses on the A7R2 for a while (105mm and 70-200L) and they worked OK, although I eventually bought a Sony FE70-300 and sold the 60-200.
I currently have an A72 with 4 lenses and have sold the rest, and I'm quite content.

You sold the A7R2 and got the A72? Any particular reason?

With a £400 difference I'd probably opt for the new a7iii, but used a7Riis are a steal now so I'd get one of those from a reputable source. You could a used a7Rii and a £800 lens for the price of a new a7iii.
I'd prefer to buy new. I keep looking at panamoz and despite searching here and seeing positive stuff about them I'm still unsure if I trust them with a 2k purchase lol

Its the best samyang FE lens so far for AF. Its pretty very silent and quick in AF-C. Tracks rather well. You can hear it if there is pin-drop silence but normally you won't be able to hear it. Its more audible in AF-S/DMF.

Samyang seems to have improved their AF with each new lens. This 24mm f2.8 is pretty good, seems reliable and accurate. If they update their 35mm f1.4 with the same level of AF I'd happily re-buy it.

I am now hoping they'll release a small 85mm f1.4 FE AF lens similar to their DSLR version. If AF is at least this good, I'd probably buy that too.

You sold the A7R2 and got the A72? Any particular reason?
I decided I had way too much gear and it wasn't getting used so I decided to keep the APS-C gear and I put all my full frame kit up for sale, sold everything but couldn't sell 3 lenses 10mm, 15mm and Sony 24-70 f4 and I'd also decided to keep my FE70-300 to use on my APS-C kit that I was keeping. So after a bit of debate decided to buy another full frame camera to use with the lenses I couldn't sell, the A72 is great camera and will do everything I need, also about £500 cheaper used than an A7R2.
So now I'm debating whether to sell my APS-C stuff or just keep it along side the ff kit. I've briefly owned an A72 before and got excellent results and my mate who is a very good photographer uses one and produces excellent photos too so for me it was a no brainer.

Last edited:
Its a choice only you can really make, for me I don't need the higher resolution, however having owned 2x Sony A7R II's in the past the resolution comes handy for cropping etc.
I prefer the speed of the Sony A7 III / A9.

Last edited:

If you were shooting landscape and printing huge then MAYBE the a7rii but the a7iii is better in every way except the additional MP, its worth a lot more than 400 quid imo/e.

I'd prefer to buy new. I keep looking at panamoz and despite searching here and seeing positive stuff about them I'm still unsure if I trust them with a 2k purchase lol

Panamoz are good to deal with. You shouldn't have any problems with them and although they are not as cheap as e-infinity, you do get a 3 year UK warranty which is good. I have just used them for the first time and I have been impressed so far as it appears have many others.

And the distortion isn’t great but so easily corrected. I haven’t noticed any noise

Looking on Google, the lens can be slightly noisy when focusing but nothing sinister. I can live with it...

Hopefully all distortion can be dealt with by Lightroom or Capture One.

It seems the Zeiss Batis 25 is Out of Stock....might put the money into Sigma 24 instead, it’s a stop faster and cheaper, just bigger.

Back