The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I was going to get one of these for the A7 but then decided to go for the Sony 28mm which is a similar price used.
I already have a tamron 28-75 so the FE 28 won't help a huge lot and is only a stop faster.

Just got myself an a7iii, 24-70 f4 and 50mm 1.8 kit. In the next few weeks I'll be looking to add lenses, currently using my canon lenses with the sigma converter. I would welcome a list of good kit to add to what I have, Keen amateur with all round tastes! My canon kit went from 14mm - 600mm! Cant afford any of the Sony 2.8's What alternatives do you lot use?

Just got myself an a7iii, 24-70 f4 and 50mm 1.8 kit. In the next few weeks I'll be looking to add lenses, currently using my canon lenses with the sigma converter. I would welcome a list of good kit to add to what I have, Keen amateur with all round tastes! My canon kit went from 14mm - 600mm! Cant afford any of the Sony 2.8's What alternatives do you lot use?

Sigma 35 / 50 Fe arts and the Fe 85 1.8 for me.

43915277812_f084050ba8_b.jpg

Looks nice. Compact too. Nikon don’t seem to have the same pancake offerings as Sony and Canon.

Looks nice. Compact too. Nikon don’t seem to have the same pancake offerings as Sony and Canon.
The lens reminds me of the Minolta 24mm f2.8 I had on a-mount. Nikon has other things that are great like a small-ish 300mm f4 and a 35mm/1.8

The lens reminds me of the Minolta 24mm f2.8 I had on a-mount. Nikon has other things that are great like a small-ish 300mm f4 and a 35mm/1.8

1.8 35mm is still quite a long lens but yes the 300mm is rather small and light for an F4!

1.8 35mm is still quite a long lens but yes the 300mm is rather small and light for an F4!

You considering getting a sony again mate? EDIT might have got you mix up with a another JJ on here sorry

This Samyang lens is a tempting small lens to add to the bag

You considering getting a sony again mate? EDIT might have got you mix up with a another JJ on here sorry

This Samyang lens is a tempting small lens to add to the bag

When are you getting your Brickon Mirrorless? ;)

Well you did ask [emoji14]

I’m keeping a close eye on the announcements but doubt it will surpass what Sony has on offer. [emoji4]
I’m looking out for some lenses...

35mm f1.8

35mm f1.4 GM
50mm f1.4 GM

135mm f1.8 GM

105mm f2.8 GM Macro

200-500mm f4.5-5.6 GM Telephoto

Lol [emoji1]

Last edited:
Looks like I be going the Sony club soon just brought a Sony A7R3 and a 24-105 now for a nice wide angle... I do fancy the Loxia 21mm :thinking:

I have the A7R2 with 24-105, 55mm 1.8 and Loxia 21mm. Great setup the 24-105 as I find it a usefull range, 55mm for low light and flowers at f2ish and loxia for WA stuff. It's small ,light , sharp and high quality materials used. Beats my 14mm when I used Fuji gear.

Looks like I be going the Sony club soon just brought a Sony A7R3 and a 24-105 now for a nice wide angle... I do fancy the Loxia 21mm :thinking:

Depending on how wide you want to go the Voightlander 15mm (or even 10 and 12mm) E mount lenses are excellent, small, compact and great IQ, manual focus and aperture selection though.

I’m keep a close eye on the announcements but doubt it will surpass what Sony has on offer. :)
I’m looking out for some lenses...

35mm f1.8

35mm f1.4 GM
50mm f1.4 GM

135mm f1.8 GM

105mm f2.8 GM Macro

200-500mm f4.5-5.6 GM Telephoto

Lol :D

I'd add a 50mm macro with good af unlike the piece of excreta I bought and sent back.

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 from todays bramble picking, the light was poor but hey ho...

Butterfly at 100% and f4.5...

1b.jpg

oh dear, it seems to have lost a bit of sharpness by being posted here.

Berries at f5...

100-f5-DSC01334.jpg

Teeny tiny flowers at f1.2.

f1.2-DSC01311.jpg

and lastly "Take my picture with the trees" f2...

DSC01327.jpg

Mrs WW will make jam and smoothies with the brambles and I'll make apple and bramble pies :D

Last edited:
A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 from todays bramble picking, the light was poor but hey ho...

Butterfly at 100% and f4.5...

View attachment 132192

oh dear, it seems to have lost a bit of sharpness by being posted here.

Berries at f5...

View attachment 132190

Teeny tiny flowers at f1.2.

View attachment 132193

and lastly "Take my picture with the trees" f2...

View attachment 132191

Mrs WW will make jam and smoothies with the brambles and I'll make apple and bramble pies :D

Yeah. Put me down for the pies...

I have the A7R2 with 24-105, 55mm 1.8 and Loxia 21mm. Great setup the 24-105 as I find it a usefull range, 55mm for low light and flowers at f2ish and loxia for WA stuff. It's small ,light , sharp and high quality materials used. Beats my 14mm when I used Fuji gear.

I do like the 21mm focal length was thinking about a 85mm or the 90mm macro as well.

Depending on how wide you want to go the Voightlander 15mm (or even 10 and 12mm) E mount lenses are excellent, small, compact and great IQ, manual focus and aperture selection though.

Im happy with the manual focus and aperture Paul. Don't shoot wider than 20mm mainly but a 15mm is nice on the odd occasion, suppose the 16-35 f4 would be the logical choice but do like the idea of the Loxia.

I ought to know myself by now, just bought a 85GM off here today....couldn’t resist.

Now will compare to the FE 1.8...it might be on sale this coming days!
Both are sharp, GM has very nice rendering but slower AF and of course it's a big lump of glass.

It can’t be slower than the 85L.
It isn't. Lot faster and you'll get keepers at a better rate too with eyeAF. It's sharper than 85L too but I really like the way 85L renders wide open. Hard choice if I had to choose between the two but I'd go with GM for the better AF.

It isn't. Lot faster and you'll get keepers at a better rate too with eyeAF. It's sharper than 85L too but I really like the way 85L renders wide open. Hard choice if I had to choose between the two but I'd go with GM for the better AF.

The things I shoot with the 85 isn’t fast moving so it’s fine.

I’m looking for something that renders nice, low CA mainly and not the size of a boat.

I'm wondering how many people on here have 2 bodies for general walk about. Fact is I'm apparently useless at keeping the exposed sensor clean when I change lenses, even when I change at home I invariably finish up cleaning the sensor eventually.
Goodness knows what I'd be like in a dusty and breezy urban environment.
I'm considering buying an A7ii as a companion to my A7Riii and for instance having my little 35mm 2.8 on one and a 16-35 on the other for wider shots when in town for general shooting. My 2 main reasons for choosing the A7ii is IBIS and relative cheapness used.

The things I shoot with the 85 isn’t fast moving so it’s fine.

I’m looking for something that renders nice, low CA mainly and not the size of a boat.
The Sigma art on e mount is worth the size. It's easily the best 85 I have ever owned.

I'm wondering how many people on here have 2 bodies for general walk about. Fact is I'm apparently useless at keeping the exposed sensor clean when I change lenses, even when I change at home I invariably finish up cleaning the sensor eventually.
I'm considering buying an A7ii as a companion to my A7Riii and for instance having my little 35mm 2.8 on one and a 16-35 on the other for wider shots when in town for general shooting. My 2 main reasons for choosing the A7ii is IBIS and relative cheapness used.

I have an A72 as my main camera and an A6300 as a second camera, the A6300 crop sensor is great when using the 70-300 lens as it becomes a 105-450 equiv on the A6300.

i have two. a9 and a7r3. infact i am tempted to bring both again and stick two primes on em for

Just shoot everything at f1.4 and never worry about dust again ;)

Tbh even if you don’t change lenses you can still get dust in, especially using zoom lenses which can pull dust in, it’s just a fact of digital photography. Some cameras have a self clean feature that you can set to operate every time you turn the camera on or off (or both) but eventually it will require a manual clean.

I have an A72 as my main camera and an A6300 as a second camera, the A6300 crop sensor is great when using the 70-300 lens as it becomes a 105-450 equiv on the A6300.

You could probably buy an A7riii and used it in FF and crop mode instead of walking around with 2 bodies and sets of lenses.

Back