The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So I had the D750 and A7iii side by side (I can take a photo if anyone questions it!) last night and will be using both over the weekend as my friend kindly lent me his (his back up to the A9).

Here are my initial thoughts from a non biased genuinely looking at the Sony point of view.

But please note the Sony had the 28-70 attached which is not the brightest or fastest.

Both are built pretty well. The battery and card slot on the A7 is definitely more flimsy but other than that both are pretty solid. Dials and buttons all have nice clicks and motion. Maybe Sony ones are on better places.

The touch screen on the D750 tilts more when pointing down - a lot more actually, but the Sony mechanism does feel a bit stronger and the way it’s wired in looks more sensible! Nikon has the top screen which is an obvious advantage.

The grip on the Nikon is better, but having not thought about how I pick up the camera, my little finger still hangs off the bottom. I have concluded that’s just how I hold cameras! Fingers are tight between lens and grip on Sony but do fit. Lens realease button on the Sony is harder to action when using fatter lenses.

The view finders are both excellent in good light. It’s only when the light gets low you can start to tell that the Sony is low resolution and it’s not so easy on the eyes. I found that the WYSIWYG did not apply so much indoors as although you could see exposure changes etc it wasn’t quite as clear as when outside.

The Sony wins hands down on focus points and focus area. You only realise how small the focus area really is on the 750 when you use the Sony! Obviously there is eye AF etc which some users will use a lot (but not me). Both cameras focus fast, Nikon seemed faster indoors but that may have not been the case due to the EVF maybe not keeping up as well. More tests needed. Tracking is what I am most interested in. But that I can’t test until the weekend so will update when I have. Sony has the FPS advantage, which would be good for me. Sony also has a lot more options with focus points and touch focus is good idea. It will take some practice to get action right as the Nikon seems more simple!

Weight wise there is not a huge difference but with the Sony you have the pancake lenses so you can keep the size and weight down far more than the Nikon. But overall the Sony does feel so small, but used the the D750 so that figures. It doesn’t feel like a feature packed FF camera to me, but the last camera I had anything near this small was my D40!

I need to do some more shooting over the weekend but my initial impressions side by side are that you can’t go wrong with either and a lot will depend on individual needs.

I think if I go with Sony I will always miss the Nikon, but if I stick with Nikon I will regret at least not giving the Sony a proper go!

I was waiting for the Z offerings but they do not cover my requirements so that’s why I have decided to try the A7iii.

So I had the D750 and A7iii side by side (I can take a photo if anyone questions it!) last night and will be using both over the weekend as my friend kindly lent me his (his back up to the A9).

Here are my initial thoughts from a non biased genuinely looking at the Sony point of view.

But please note the Sony had the 28-70 attached which is not the brightest or fastest.

Both are built pretty well. The battery and card slot on the A7 is definitely more flimsy but other than that both are pretty solid. Dials and buttons all have nice clicks and motion. Maybe Sony ones are on better places.

The touch screen on the D750 tilts more when pointing down - a lot more actually, but the Sony mechanism does feel a bit stronger and the way it’s wired in looks more sensible! Nikon has the top screen which is an obvious advantage.

The grip on the Nikon is better, but having not thought about how I pick up the camera, my little finger still hangs off the bottom. I have concluded that’s just how I hold cameras! Fingers are tight between lens and grip on Sony but do fit. Lens realease button on the Sony is harder to action when using fatter lenses.

The view finders are both excellent in good light. It’s only when the light gets low you can start to tell that the Sony is low resolution and it’s not so easy on the eyes. I found that the WYSIWYG did not apply so much indoors as although you could see exposure changes etc it wasn’t quite as clear as when outside.

The Sony wins hands down on focus points and focus area. You only realise how small the focus area really is on the 750 when you use the Sony! Obviously there is eye AF etc which some users will use a lot (but not me). Both cameras focus fast, Nikon seemed faster indoors but that may have not been the case due to the EVF maybe not keeping up as well. More tests needed. Tracking is what I am most interested in. But that I can’t test until the weekend so will update when I have. Sony has the FPS advantage, which would be good for me. Sony also has a lot more options with focus points and touch focus is good idea. It will take some practice to get action right as the Nikon seems more simple!

Weight wise there is not a huge difference but with the Sony you have the pancake lenses so you can keep the size and weight down far more than the Nikon. But overall the Sony does feel so small, but used the the D750 so that figures. It doesn’t feel like a feature packed FF camera to me, but the last camera I had anything near this small was my D40!

I need to do some more shooting over the weekend but my initial impressions side by side are that you can’t go wrong with either and a lot will depend on individual needs.

I think if I go with Sony I will always miss the Nikon, but if I stick with Nikon I will regret at least not giving the Sony a proper go!

I was waiting for the Z offerings but they do not cover my requirements so that’s why I have decided to try the A7iii.

The Sony will be slower indoors with a slow kit lens, try use something f2.8 or at f1.4 you'll get max af speed as more light hits the sensor. In low light with a fast lens it will beat the d750.

The Sony will be slower indoors with a slow kit lens, try use something f2.8 or at f1.4 you'll get max af speed as more light hits the sensor. In low light with a fast lens it will beat the d750.

Sadly - until I decide what to do I cant as he only lent me his cheap lens lol

Yawn.... 3 years later and a big IF. Any of the big 3 could have the best camera by then.... But guess what, it's still 2018 these cameras have just been released and the Sony's are better.

Sell all your gear and buy the zeeeeee7 if you're so confident.

Yawn.... typical go buy Nikon zeeee comment

AF will most definitely eventually get fixed
dont care
dont care
I am sure this will increase too
D5/500 clears instantly, with XQD in future it'll beat sony
better adapter support on nikon
meh

Nikon has better apps, better touch screen and better IQ with ISO64 option.
For first attempt its pretty good. I see them overtaking sony by next gen if sony don't do something.
Don't care about more lenses. Lol [emoji23]

Don't care might not have been the best words, basically meant to say it'll get better.

I never said point of large buffer is that it clear instantly. i said point of XQD is that it clear instantly. The speed at which buffer clears on sony has always been woeful.

Yes I really think its going to happen unless they start providing a better photographic experience. What sony had going for it so far is great sensor with EVF and more recently great AF.
Nikon already have sony beat on IQ and EVF. They will provide equally good AF sooner or later. They also have more useful features like focus stacking, time lapse, etc which sony just ignores.
Lol evf better? No it's not. It has the same res as the A9 and a7r3.

You smoking some good stuff over there homie

Lol evf better? No it's not. It has the same res as the A9 and a7r3.

You smoking some good stuff over there homie
Go read the what dpreview said. Sony's EVF reduces in resolution while shooting especially bursting. Nikons doesn't.

When did Nikon start adding a touch screen to there D750,wish I had one when I had the camera ;)

On some days a while back this thread seemed mostly about how Fuji's were better but times have moved on and it now looks like on some days this thread is going to be mostly about how the Nikon Zed is better.

The more things change the more they stay the same :D

PS.
I don't think I'll bother with an A7III. I'll see how I get on using AF lenses more, possibly with face detect and wide area on my old A7.

Last edited:
So the Sony FE 50mm 1.8 - mixed reviews online!

Advnatage - cheap and I like 50mm

Cons - slow to focus? noisy?

Anyone care to share user opnions? If I switch I was going to go for the samyang 35mm but I do like shooting at 50. The 55m is out of reach.

Might still go for the Samyang, but be interested on views of the 50.

Yawn.... typical go buy Nikon zeeee comment
Not really, its clear from this and the Nikon mirrorless thread that your thoughts / comments are coming across as negative towards the Sony system and more and more positive towards the Nikon Z series as each day passes. :D

So the Sony FE 50mm 1.8 - mixed reviews online!

Advnatage - cheap and I like 50mm

Cons - slow to focus? noisy?

Anyone care to share user opnions? If I switch I was going to go for the samyang 35mm but I do like shooting at 50. The 55m is out of reach.

Might still go for the Samyang, but be interested on views of the 50.

Haven’t used the fe 50 but seen a few reviews on YouTube showing it being quite loud to focus.

I’ve had the samyang and it’s not the sharpest of lenses. It’s a little noisy to focus, also and the focusing seems a bit hit n miss. It renders the out of focus areas really nicely though.

Not really, its clear from this and the Nikon mirrorless thread that your thoughts / comments are coming across as negative towards the Sony system and more and more positive towards the Nikon Z series as each day passes. :D

I'm not too sure about being overly negative about Sony but I do think there's maybe a bit of over enthusiasm for the Nikon.

With my sensible head on I do think it'd be best to wait until more is known about the cameras and how they perform otherwise it could just be another expensive exercise in swapping kit for kit for no real gain.

And not to get too personal or specific... there are those on this forum who are enthusiastic and repeated kit swappers but who also make the odd comment about needing the money for the car / lawn mower / sex change or whatever it may be :D I think that throwing disposable income around is ok if that's what floats your boat and you can afford it but looking at some posts on this site it's clear to me that some people can't really afford it and should maybe think a little more about how and when they spend their hard earned.

Haven’t used the fe 50 but seen a few reviews on YouTube showing it being quite loud to focus.

I’ve had the samyang and it’s not the sharpest of lenses. It’s a little noisy to focus, also and the focusing seems a bit hit n miss. It renders the out of focus areas really nicely though.

My experience with the 50mm macro has put me off lenses with the slower and maybe cheaper focus systems.

The 50mm f1.8 seems to d ok in the DXO list though :D

I have a confession to make folks.... I gave into Sony GAS........ ended up buying another Sony Z battery from JJ! :D lol

AF will most definitely eventually get fixed

For first attempt its pretty good. I see them overtaking sony by next gen if sony don't do something.

As a market leader in the field, Sony only have to do enough to keep consumers interested.

Now a major player who is taking it seriously is entering the field I suspect Sony will be more than happy to ramp up their game - their R&D functionality/performance will far outstrip their current release cycle strategy.

I think it is going to be good for consumers as Sony are likely to adopt a "come at me bro" approach.

I'm not too sure about being overly negative about Sony but I do think there's maybe a bit of over enthusiasm for the Nikon.

With my sensible head on I do think it'd be best to wait until more is known about the cameras and how they perform otherwise it could just be another expensive exercise in swapping kit for kit for no real gain.

And not to get too personal or specific... there are those on this forum who are enthusiastic and repeated kit swappers but who also make the odd comment about needing the money for the car / lawn mower / sex change or whatever it may be :D I think that throwing disposable income around is ok if that's what floats your boat and you can afford it but looking at some posts on this site it's clear to me that some people can't really afford it and should maybe think a little more about how and when they spend their hard earned.

Swapping kit isn't really expensive if you buy it at a good price.

I think sony will become a major ff mirrorless system for the future just like how sony as a game console became. Many people laughed at Sony PlayStation and it actually killed the before canikon version ie Nintendo and Sega lol

I have a confession to make folks.... I gave into Sony GAS........ ended up buying another Sony Z battery from JJ! :D lol

Im beginning to regret the sale! :LOL:

Please someone answer my Sony questions!!!

Swapping kit isn't really expensive if you buy it at a good price.

True but we're not going to see a Zed at a good price anytime soon are we? Unless it's a total dog.

The "I need the money for summot else" posts do make me think that people should try and take a step back sometimes. People need to eat and pay the rent etc but very few of us actually need a new camera or lens.

What questions? Just buy it, you have it in hand.

Question - what are you limiting when using non UHSII cards
Question - is the 50mm 1.8 terrible and slow to focus or actually not to shabby?

True but we're not going to see a Zed at a good price anytime soon are we? Unless it's a total dog.

The "I need the money for summot else" posts do make me think that people should try and take a step back sometimes. People need to eat and pay the rent etc but very few of us actually need a new camera or lens.

It looks alright but I won't be buying.

Z6 seems pretty well priced I guess. £2699 with 24-70 F4, probably about same price as the A7iii with a 24-70 F4 (UK prices)?

But Sony has the advantage that prices are good grey and there is already a 2nd hand market.

Z6 seems pretty well priced I guess. £2699 with 24-70 F4, probably about same price as the A7iii with a 24-70 F4 (UK prices)?

But Sony has the advantage that prices are good grey and there is already a 2nd hand market.

I also think it's priced well.

Back