The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Your collection is building nicely, you'll have every Art prime soon?

I'd have the 14mm 1.8 and 20 1.4 if they didn't have bulbous elements lol

Cannot wait to get this 135 though. Was absolutely spectacular on Canon when it hit the point, will get only a small amount of use during weddings but it will add alot I'm hoping

Hi TPers, does Sony has a default App for iOS or Android with wifi connection just like Canon's Camera Connect? I know on A7II and A7rII they are using playmemories which is now disabled in their third generation. What's the viable alternative?

Thanks.

Pretty sure playmemories still does this, it's only the built in apps that have been removed from the camera.

Pretty sure playmemories still does this, it's only the built in apps that have been removed from the camera.
Can confirm. Playmemories still works.

So excluding the resolution difference how does the A7RIII compare with the A7III?

So excluding the resolution difference how does the A7RIII compare with the A7III?

A7R3 Pros

EVF, LCD.
It also has pixel shift for sharper images.
No AA filter

A73 Pros
Better AF system
AF points covers more of the frame, and more of them
A fraction better in DR
Faster write to cards (being smaller files).
Has AA filter so actually preferred if you shoot fabric like weddings (I do anyway)

A7R3 Pros

EVF, LCD.
It also has pixel shift for sharper images.
No AA filter

A73 Pros
Better AF system
AF points covers more of the frame, and more of them
A fraction better in DR
Faster write to cards (being smaller files).
Has AA filter so actually preferred if you shoot fabric like weddings (I do anyway)

Has much better 4K video, same as A9 but with picture profiles for grading

The Sony A7 III has to be contender for camera of the year.
Can’t fault it for the money. :)

The Sony A7 III has to be contender for camera of the year.
Can’t fault it for the money. :)

I come home and turn my computer on and see this...

Stop it.

I'll have to make my mind up, Currys still haven't got them in but If I decide to get one maybe Wex will price match.

Last edited:
I think most people would take the better EVF over marginal improvement in battery life :p

True but they had to make some cut backs on the A7iii!

Focus system on the A7iii works better for me than the A7riii

True but they had to make some cut backs on the A7iii!

Focus system on the A7iii works better for me than the A7riii

Can't say I noticed a huge lot of difference but I haven't really used the A7III much.

I'll keep my A7RIII :D

Got the 70-200GM yet?

I come home and turn my computer on and see this...

Stop it.

I'll have to make my mind up, Currys still haven't got them is but If I decide to get one maybe Wex will price match.

BUY IT NOW before the prices go up! :D

Hi Guys N Girls,

I have created a seprate thread for this but thought I will ask on here as well.

I have recently purchased a Sony A6300 and would like some guidance as to which is a better purchase.

Split between the 16-50mm or the 18-55mm, I will be mainly using the camera for photography purposes (family days out, some portraiture, and when on holiday) with some use of video as well.

Personally I like the 16-50mm for the size, however have read elsewhere that the IQ is better on the older 18-55mm.

For those that have used both or have knowledge on either, is there a substantial difference in IQ?

At later stage I will be purchasing the 50mm 1.8, but at present just to an all rounder lens,

Hi Guys N Girls,

I have created a seprate thread for this but thought I will ask on here as well.

I have recently purchased a Sony A6300 and would like some guidance as to which is a better purchase.

Split between the 16-50mm or the 18-55mm, I will be mainly using the camera for photography purposes (family days out, some portraiture, and when on holiday) with some use of video as well.

Personally I like the 16-50mm for the size, however have read elsewhere that the IQ is better on the older 18-55mm.

For those that have used both or have knowledge on either, is there a substantial difference in IQ?

At later stage I will be purchasing the 50mm 1.8, but at present just to an all rounder lens,

The 18-55mm is little better. Not much in it TBH. I'd decide based on other factors:
Manual zoom vs. power zoom.
Extending zoom design vs. collapsing design
2 rings on lens vs. one ring
18-55mm vs. 16-50mm focal range

Last edited:
Question...

Low light shots with the A7iii. Would you up the iso to get the correct exposure with some noise to remove in lightroom, or underexpose a stop or so to reduce noise but then pull the shadows back up in lightroom?

Reason I ask is because of posts saying how good the dynamic range is on this camera.

Question...

Low light shots with the A7iii. Would you up the iso to get the correct exposure with some noise to remove in lightroom, or underexpose a stop or so to reduce noise but then pull the shadows back up in lightroom?

Reason I ask is because of posts saying how good the dynamic range is on this camera.

It's always better to expose correctly for the best result. Even though it's pretty much isoless and you can push the files loads. I only push big time at lower iso.... Not in dark conditions.

Last edited:
I got an irresistible bank holiday deal on the loxia 25, and like woof woof, I dislike giving up lenses, so the collection has grown.

Looking at them brought to mind a man I met with about 30 concertinas, a fantastic collection including museum pieces from the 1830's, and each of them was worth maybe £2-5k. Half were in his house near Silicon Valley, the half I saw were in his Westminster flat. Initially I was astounded but soon realised how much pleasure they brought him, they were an absorbing hobby. No professional player, he simply bought what he fancied, and he played them all as he wished.
Seems there's a bit of that in me.

Last edited:
I got an irresistible bank holiday deal on the loxia 25, and like woof woof, I dislike giving up lenses, so the collection has grown.

Looking at them brought to mind a man I met with about 30 concertinas, a fantastic collection including museum pieces from the 1830's, and each of them was worth maybe £2-5k. Half were in his house near Silicon Valley, the half I saw were in his Westminster flat. Initially I was astounded but soon realised how much pleasure they brought him, they were an absorbing hobby. No professional player he simply bought what he fancied, and he played them all as he wished.
Seems there's a bit of that in me.

Good enough reason.

I tried to get a lens cap with a Zeiss logo on it for my 35 and 50….my god they are expensive !

I normally take branded ones off and replace them with cheap standard centre pinch ones which to be honest are often better anyway.

Back