The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm confused as well.

There's a 35/1.4 if you want it. You won't find a 35mm f1.4 on a zoom.
It's a choice because I'd like something wider and I'm not made of money so it's one or the other for now. The tamron offers a selection of focal lengths. I don't know if I should buy a prime or the zoom

It could be a lot better.
It's not way better than good. It's just about good.

I'd say otherwise. Nikon and canon show a lot more innovation in optics and other areas. Where's the PF lenses, where's the small 35mm f1.8 macro? Good customer support? I find lack of decent weatherseal on a £3.2k body as bad as lack of second card slot.
Optics, ergonomics, reliability are just as important

I was talking to a videographer last week who shoots a lot of powerboating. He's running A73's and they're regularly absolutely soaked. He hasn't had one issue with them.

For me it's less critical anyway. If it's that wet that I'm in danger of losing a camera to the rain I'm sure as hell not getting a bride and groom out in it. Nikon and Canon have had decades to develop lenses. Sony have done pretty well in the time they've had.

It's a choice because I'd like something wider and I'm not made of money so it's one or the other for now. The tamron offers a selection of focal lengths. I don't know if I should buy a prime or the zoom

You mention portraits. I wouldn't pick a 35mm for portraiture unless it's environmental.

You mention portraits. I wouldn't pick a 35mm for portraiture unless it's environmental.
Yeah, it would be for portraits with the idea of getting more of the environment in. I'll be picking up an 85mm for shots where I want to isolate the subject more.

Just seen a Canon R video where the shutter closes to protect the sensor when you're changing lens. Very clever and such a simple solution. The only thing I've really seen on Canikon that has outwitted Sony.

Just seen a Canon R video where the shutter closes to protect the sensor when you're changing lens. Very clever and such a simple solution. The only thing I've really seen on Canikon that has outwitted Sony.

This only happens when you turn off the camera first. It won't if you just take the lens off.

But yes, I am not sure why all other mirrorless don't lock the shutter down when the camera is off, DSLR does that, who thought the opposite is better just because you take away the mirror box?

This only happens when you turn off the camera first. It won't if you just take the lens off.

But yes, I am not sure why all other mirrorless don't lock the shutter down when the camera is off, DSLR does that, who thought the opposite is better just because you take away the mirror box?
Do people not turn off the camera to change lens? I do [emoji16]

I generally turn it off to change lens anyway. No idea why I do that but always have.

So what happens to all the dust thats in the camera and the next time the shutter opens?

So what happens to all the dust thats in the camera and the next time the shutter opens?

It makes it less likely the sensor can get damaged when changing lenses. It won't stop dust getting on the sensor nor would it claim to, I expect.

It makes it less likely the sensor can get damaged when changing lenses. It won't stop dust getting on the sensor nor would it claim to, I expect.

Have you ever damaged a sensor changing a lens? If you did damage the filter wouldn't the cost be similar to replacing the damaged shutter?

Have you ever damaged a sensor changing a lens? If you did damage the filter wouldn't the cost be similar to replacing the damaged shutter?

But on that argument, is the mirror box cheap to replace? Why isn't that flipped up when changing lenses in DSLR?

I am sure in film SLR the mirror is down too and the shutter is down. What are they protecting? thin air? :D

Last edited:
386A663C-A5A9-49C4-8473-16801A67971E.jpeg 87FB963A-D65C-4122-B80F-B201916913EF.jpeg Will canon seems to be the main focus of this thread, I managed a couple of shots manually focusing with the 135mm. Epic sunset this evening while feeding the squirrels. Fingers crossed for another tomorrow.

Couple of jpegs

I was talking to a videographer last week who shoots a lot of powerboating. He's running A73's and they're regularly absolutely soaked. He hasn't had one issue with them.

For me it's less critical anyway. If it's that wet that I'm in danger of losing a camera to the rain I'm sure as hell not getting a bride and groom out in it. Nikon and Canon have had decades to develop lenses. Sony have done pretty well in the time they've had.

I'll use my gear in rain and snow but one problem I rarely see mentioned (in fact probably never mentioned) is that water/snow can get on the lens and spoil the shot as you press the shutter. For me this has been a bigger problem than a lack of weather sealing as I've never had a weather related failure but I have had shots spoilt by snow or water landing on the front of the lens.

Just for fun, a couple of before and afters...

IMG_9305-1.jpg

IMG_9305-2.jpg

IMG_9310-1.jpg

IMG_9310-2.jpg

Both of these were ok when looking through the vf and the problem occurred as I took the shot :D

Canon 20D and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

Last edited:
Enjoy your Nikon/Canon... :D

Typical :facepalm:
So you don't want the cameras to get better
Why are you against progress. Knowing weakness of your gear is as important as knowing it's strengths.
I suppose you'd know that if you tried using your gear :p

It's only an issue if the water seeps in through the battery door which has been shown in tear down and tests.

Why would anyone want a 35mm macro :D
Lmao this was the very first thing that came into my mind.

Just because you guys can't see a use for it doesn't mean it's not necessary for everyone. I have used as wide as 21mm at macro distances for shooting flowers. Link my in signature.

Just because you guys can't see a use for it doesn't mean it's not necessary for everyone. I have used as wide as 21mm at macro distances for shooting flowers. Link my in signature.

To be honest photos of flowers bore me

No
Entire range of normal lenses. I don't see any PF or DO lenses.

Those are ef and f mount right? Enjoy them on your adapted 3fps milc. ;)

Why haven't you bought your canikon yet? Found the weaknesses in them have you.

Last edited:
Just a quick question. The 70-200 GM makes some strange noise when I turn on the camera. Hard to describe the noise other than it’s a strange kind of vibration rattle buzz lol

Normal?

Just a quick question. The 70-200 GM makes some strange noise when I turn on the camera. Hard to describe the noise other than it’s a strange kind of vibration rattle buzz lol

Normal?

OSS kicking back in I imagine, I have other lenses that do it. It's usually 'docked' when the camera is switched off to save the internals moving around in transit etc.

Normal?

Probably OSS

OSS kicking back in I imagine, I have other lenses that do it. It's usually 'docked' when the camera is switched off to save the internals moving around in transit etc.

Does it with OSS off too. It’s more or a slight buzz kind of noise.

This is pretty much the only thread I have been participating in recently. I keep getting notifications to my phone saying I have messages. 7 in total now. Yet I see no messages in my Inbox.

Back