The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Spot on! I used afc nearly all the time on the d750 but occasionally wanted a very quick still image. This is perfect.

What’s everyone’s most accurate option for tracking (not eyes) sports?

I see there is a lock on AF or is it a safer bet to use something like flexible spot? The vast majority of the time my subjects are centre frame?

Spot on! I used afc nearly all the time on the d750 but occasionally wanted a very quick still image. This is perfect.

What’s everyone’s most accurate option for tracking (not eyes) sports?

I see there is a lock on AF or is it a safer bet to use something like flexible spot? The vast majority of the time my subjects are centre frame?

Then probably centre or flexible spot.

Could I pick your brains about video please...having read p62,69-72 of the manual I'm still feeling somewhat challenged:

I have a pny 64Gig card in a pny adaptor on an A7ii.
I'm guessing as I've never changed settings, when I press the red button (auto?) it should record about 9 minutes per 8gig, so over an hour on the current pny card at an average quality?

So what do the 3 file format settings mean in the real world...which to use?
The record settings are the quality in bits, but then there is a 'dual video' setting?
What does recording in apparently highest quality 'xavc s' at 60p 50m actually do to recording times?

And, I remember you folk discussing this, what are the best cards I can buy at the moment? To get highest quality recordings for longest period of time and fastest transfer?

And for example, can the highest quality 60minute video be transferred onto a 256 gig USB?

Did you get them for free? Because if you didn't the maths is still the same.

I got them so long ago and just sat on my desk gathering dust...it feels like I just rediscovered them again so it feels free :p

It’s almost like “oh yeah, I forgot I had these and they are actually great!”

I got them so long ago and just sat on my desk gathering dust...it feels like I just rediscovered them again so it feels free :p

It’s almost like “oh yeah, I forgot I had these and they are actually great!”

Justifies their awesomeness :rolleyes: because let's face it, s*** in the loft is great.

Does anyone own the Samyang 24 2.8 here ? 10% off on eBay atm. Tempted but not sure id use it

Gasp…what have I done...

VgXJyH3.png

Wow, do you think you will go all in with Sony and give up Canon?

I think I am likely to give up both DSLR by mirrorless, probably some of the lenses too like the Sigma 50A.

The lists of lenses to replace…

16-35/2.8 - This will cost me a fortune to change as my Canon isn't worth a lot, it's the mk1.
24-70/2.8 - might not even bother because i seldom use this. Might get the Tamron 28-75 instead.
24L mk2/1.4 - Already have Sigma FE mount on order
100L/Macro - I can probably swap for Sony 90mm Macro like for like
135/2.0 - Sigma 135/1.8, by all accounts a better lens
20/1.4 - I could either sell and rebuy on FE or get the mount changed.
35L mk2/1.4 - sad to see it go but it's a lot of money to sit in a case, already have the Zeiss replacement

Will keep

45/2.8 TSE - manual lens, so make no difference
85L/1.2 - I can't bring myself to let this go just yet, until Canon make one on the RF mount

I think I am likely to give up both DSLR by mirrorless, probably some of the lenses too like the Sigma 50A.

16-35/2.8 - This will cost me a fortune to change as my Canon isn't worth a lot, it's the mk1.
24-70/2.8 - might not even bother because i seldom use this. Might get the Tamron 28-75 instead.
35L mk2/1.4 - sad to see it go but it's a lot of money to sit in a case, already have the Zeiss replacement

Will keep

85L/1.2 - I can't bring myself to let this go just yet, until Canon make one on the RF mount

Sounds like a sound move, the A7 III are great bodies for the money.

Unless you desperate need 2.8 on the super wide. Get the 12-24 f4 Sony instead. Sensational lens!

Will keep

Will keep

I am in a similar boat I have these all to change if I move over completely.

Nikon 85mm f/1.4G
Nikon 45mm f/2.8
Nikon 105mm f/2.8
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikon 16-35mm f/4
Sigma 20mm f/1.4
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

To be fair the only one of those I really love is the 50mm Sigma Art. But they all get some use for different things.

I am gonna have to keep some of my slr’s as things sit at the minute my missus won’t switch so that means she will be keeping her 2 x D750’s and her D850. I was going to keep my D850 and just replace both my D750’s with A7III’s but still not 100% sure.

Sold my 35mm Nikon fit Sigma Art today loved that lens too but already replaced that with the Sony fit version.

Last edited:
I am in a similar boat I have these all to change if I move over completely.

Nikon 85mm f/1.4G
Nikon 45mm f/2.8
Nikon 105mm f/2.8
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikon 16-35mm f/4
Sigma 20mm f/1.4
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

To be fair the only one of those I really love is the 50mm Signa Art. But they all get some use for different things.

I am gonna have to keep some of my slr’s as things sit at the minute my missus won’t switch so that means she will be keeping her 2 x D750’s and her D850. I was going to keep my D850 and just replace both my D750’s with A7III’s but still not 100% sure.

One thing that is always on my mind is how long will Sony keep the mount, they don't really have the history sticking with something but at least for the moment the E-mount should be around for at least 5 years and I guess that's long enough, get my money's worth from it right now and I know the DSLR gear will slowly drop in value. That's the only direction it is going.

Back