The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

16-35, 35 1.4, normally. Do you wear it with just a single layer (tshirt)?

Just a cotton shirt.

It’s spent more time in my hand being used than on my shoulder.

I’m never carrying it on my shoulder more than 5mins at a time really, it’s either being used or i will put it down on the ground or table. If I’m going a long distance and not using it, it’s in the bag or case.

Just a cotton shirt.

I’m never carrying it on my shoulder more than 5mins at a time really, it’s either being used or i will put it down on the ground or table. If I’m going a long distance and not using it, it’s in the bag or case.

Thinking about it I’m the same. When using the 70-200 it’s not usually hanging for too long and when it is I do have the tendency to support some of the weight with my right hand as just a habit!!

Thinking of getting the hand strap too when going super light.

Just a cotton shirt.

That explains it, then. If i'm using the strap it's normally because i'm carrying the camera on my shoulder all day. After a couple of hours, the Lite definitely gets uncomfortable. I normally have the PD Cuff on my wrist when i'm out and about too, which helps if my camera is out a lot.

I've shot a wedding using the normal sized Slide and found it far too bulky, so that probably makes sense for you.

That explains it, then. If i'm using the strap it's normally because i'm carrying the camera on my shoulder all day. After a couple of hours, the Lite definitely gets uncomfortable. I normally have the PD Cuff on my wrist when i'm out and about too, which helps if my camera is out a lot.

I've shot a wedding using the normal sized Slide and found it far too bulky, so that probably makes sense for you.

The strap is mainly a security measure in case I drop it, not something to carry the camera around for long stretch of time.

Why not just use something like the cuff, then?

Because in a hurry I need to left go of one camera and pick up the other one, if the camera is dangling off my wrist it starts swinging around causing problems in stability, as opposed to put it over my shoulder.

(yup, I've tried it)

I use the Black Rapid RS1 Sports..... but also have the RS6 and Peak Designs Summit straps :D

No you don't use any straps, you might own them though......:D:p:D

On a more serious note, what are peoples thoughts on the 24-70 F4 against the 24-70 GM at typical landscape apertures ie F8-F11 ??
The 24-70 f4 is a good lens but there is copy to copy variation...... at f8-f11 I would have thought the cost and weight saving over the GM would be enough to stick with the f4. :)

The 24-70 f4 is a good lens but there is copy to copy variation...... at f8-f11 I would have thought the cost and weight saving over the GM would be enough to stick with the f4. :)

The weight saving isn't inconsiderable, but you've phrased it as if there is compromise involved. Maybe I should have asked the question, is the 24-70 F4 as sharp and the 24-70GM at F8-F11 (assuming a good copy) and if its not how much better in real world terms is the GM.

Afternoon all.

I have an A9 for sale in the 'Other brands' forum.

Normally I wouldn't advertise this here but I'm donating the money to charity and it's a particularly time sensitive event. So if you're interested please do take a look.

Just stuck my Nikon 85mm f/1.4 in the classifieds not that it's likely to sell here. Gonna get the 85MM G Master

Strange place classifieds. People want things cheaper I understand, and then not willing to buy purely because sellers will not drop to what they feel is fair and then buyers end up buying more expensive listings elsewhere anyway!

Strange place classifieds. People want things cheaper I understand, and then not willing to buy purely because sellers will not drop to what they feel is fair and then buyers end up buying more expensive listings elsewhere anyway!

I think that time they limited classified access a while back depending on your posting ration pretty much killed it off.

You need to drop to really ridiculous money to sell anything on here, or drop to below the price that trade companies like mpb will offer, which is mad. I am not worried about it anyway. I am gonna buy the G Master regardless of the Nikon selling or not.

To be honest I would rather keep it but have to make an effort to sell it to keep the missus happy. :D

I think that time they limited classified access a while back depending on your posting ration pretty much killed it off.

You need to drop to really ridiculous money to sell anything on here, or drop to below the price that trade companies like mpb will offer, which is mad. I am not worried about it anyway. I am gonna buy the G Master regardless of the Nikon selling or not.

To be honest I would rather keep it but have to make an effort to sell it to keep the missus happy. :D

I have now sold my stuff to MPB. Then if people want it they will have to pay the extra premium from them!

What's mbp?

It's a clothes shop you should check it out. Much better than the local oxfam you seem to pick up your stuff up from at the moment.

You should do a big order then when it arrives do another unboxing video. :p

Last edited:
It's a clothes shop you should check it out. Much better than the local oxfam you seem to pick up your stuff up from at the moment.

You should do a big order then when it arrives do another unboxing video. :p
lol na serious what is it? im still sitting on a 70-200 f2.8 mk2 canon lens

Afternoon all.

I have an A9 for sale in the 'Other brands' forum.

Normally I wouldn't advertise this here but I'm donating the money to charity and it's a particularly time sensitive event. So if you're interested please do take a look.

Which charity if you don't mind me asking?

Afternoon All, I'd like to tap into the collective wisdom of this thread if I may? My Canon gear (nothing too exciting) went off to WEX this morning and at some point I'll have some credit appearing there with which to purchase something to replace the Canon gear. And this is where I need some real life experience and I'll explain why:

1) I just picked up an RX100 Mk 6 (to replace my original mark 1) and the difference is like night and day. I'm genuinely impressed by this little powerhouse of a camera (and it fits in jeans pockets too)
2) I now have a 24-200mm zoom in a tiny little camera that produces some nice images (I'm realistic, I'll only ever print occasionally when there's something I really like) so I don;t need a huge zoom lens on a camera that will never leave the house
3) I played around with an A7ii on Saturday and was also surprised at the size (or lack thereof) vs my old Canon 50D. With a 50mm 1.8 lens on it was still hand sized (and I have smallish hands)
4) I'd pretty much decided on a RX1Rii as a way of ensuring I take the camera out with me, improving my technical abilities and using a good sensor with a fast 35mm lens.
5) Playing with the A7ii changed that approach in terms of what it packs into it (and future proofing to a certain degree, I won;t change cameras every year) until I started looking for a fast 35mm prime.
6) I'm now turning myself around as to what to get and whether to even bother going down the interchangeable lens route as I wonder if I'd ever use it over the pocketable RX100 or an RX1Rii

Help. Please? I need some real world context, advice and impressions (I've spent hours on google reading various reviews, comparisons etc and me no further on...)

Thanks in advance
Tim

It's MPB not MBP. :p

It's in Brighton, I actually tried to look for it once, went to the location as suggested on Google maps but couldn't find it!

It’s outside Brighton really. In an industrial estate. Just looks like an office from the outside!

Afternoon All,...

Tim

How about an A7x and the 35mm f2.8?

It's "only" f2.8 but it's also a small camera and lens package and probably cheaper than an Rx1 plus you have the option of changing lenses if and when you want and like me you can keep costs down by using cheap film era lenses for fun or for focal lengths you don't use enough to justify buying a modern lens.

An A7x and your decent compact with a zoom may be all you'll need.

Last edited:
How about an A7x and the 35mm f2.8?

It's "only" f2.8 but it's also a small camera and lens package and probably cheaper than an Rx1 plus you have the option of changing lenses if and when you want and like me you can keep costs down by using cheap film era lenses for fun or for focal lengths you don't use enough to justify buying a modern lens.

An A7x and your decent compact with a zoom may be all you'll need.

That’s what I was thinking too in some respects but the reviews of that lens are mixed to say the least. But i take the point about future options etc (see now why I’m tying myself in knots :eek:)))

That’s what I was thinking too in some respects but the reviews of that lens are mixed to say the least. But i take the point about future options etc (see now why I’m tying myself in knots :eek:)))
I've not read a bad review of the 35mm f2.8. I thought everyone thought it was very good. There is the cheaper Samyang too.

I've not read a bad review of the 35mm f2.8. I thought everyone thought it was very good. There is the cheaper Samyang too.

I need to give my FE35 more love really......!! With the recent Sigma 35/1.4 being so huge, the even more recent Batis 40 being £1300 I don't think I've got much choice....... ;)

I have been using the Voigtlander 40/1.4 a lot lately though. Fully for this day out in Bath.

by Lee, on Flickr

by Lee, on Flickr

by Lee, on Flickr

by Lee, on Flickr

by Lee, on Flickr

Back