The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Nothing :D

I first bought the Samyang and then bought the Sony. Briefly had both to compare, the Sony was very very slightly sharper. Because I was feeling flush that month I kept the Sony and sold the Samyang. Couple of months later I realised the extra money in the Sony was better spent elsewhere so I sold it and now have the 24&35 Samyangs.

That’s the thing, can afford the 24 and 35 or just the Sony! Still something about the Sony tempts me. Maybe it’s a brand snobbery thing!

I have the Sony 35mm f2.8 as the Samyang wasn't out then. These days if you can get the 24 and 35mm Samyangs for the same money, can you? that's something to think about.

I have the Sony 35mm f2.8 as the Samyang wasn't out then. These days if you can get the 24 and 35mm Samyangs for the same money, can you? that's something to think about.

Samyang 35mm is £250 on Amazon new at moment which seems a bit of a steal! But the Sony has the shiny Z logo lol

Same here. Having both makes sense if the IQ is as near as dammit!!

Both Samyang lenses are around £250 new. But I don’t really use 24mm so 35mm is main point of interest. It’s just working out what you get on the Sony that the Samyang does not offer.

Both Samyang lenses are around £250 new. But I don’t really use 24mm so 35mm is main point of interest. It’s just working out what you get on the Sony that the Samyang does not offer.

Yeah, I guess it depends on what you shoot. I've not had anything that wide for several years now but if I had the Samyang 24mm I'd certainly take it out & about for the odd city/landscape wide that I might need.

Yeah, I guess it depends on what you shoot. I've not had anything that wide for several years now but if I had the Samyang 24mm I'd certainly take it out & about for the odd city/landscape wide that I might need.

The 35mm will be a lens I will use a lot. One of the reasons I bought the A7iii was to have a bit of a powerhouse when using the 70-200 but also to have something the complete opposite and very travel friendly so these pancake lenses are ideal!

So I want to get the 35mm 2.8 that performs the best, but it does seem these 2 are closely matched!

Well... if you get the Samyang you may always have a little nagging voice telling you that you should have got the Sony because it's a bit better but if you get the Sony that little voice may be saying that lovely though it is you should have saved some money at got the almost as good but a lot cheaper Samyang.

If you can live with the voices and the cost get the Sony if only because it is probably better made and a bit better optically.

What does the little voice say if you buy the FE 35 f1.4, or the f2.0 loxia?
;)

Well... if you get the Samyang you may always have a little nagging voice telling you that you should have got the Sony because it's a bit better but if you get the Sony that little voice may be saying that lovely though it is you should have saved some money at got the almost as good but a lot cheaper Samyang.

If you can live with the voices and the cost get the Sony if only because it is probably better made and a bit better optically.

Lol. Damn those voices!!!

So apart from the build quality, what makes the Sony 35mm 2.8 worth the hefty premium over the Samyang. I mean a used one is £200+ more expensive and new £300+. Do you get better IQ and AF. A few reports have the Samyang as sharper?

The AF, quiet and reliable. Especially so for videos.

There is actually a Samyang 35mm f2.8 for sale in the "other" section.

I have no regrets over buying the Sony.

The AF, quiet and reliable. Especially so for videos.

My mates Samyang has the updated Firmware, TBH I was hard pushed to notice the AF noise and I hardly take videos!

There is actually a Samyang 35mm f2.8 for sale in the "other" section.

I have no regrets over buying the Sony.

There is - but I can get one cheaper. Sony certainly has a better build. Most reviews have them on par AF wise. I dunno, difficult!

Get cheaper lens and have some spare cash for other things, or just go balls out on the Sony!

Last edited:
One thing that could sway me is if you can really get the Samyang 24 and 35mm f2.8's for the price of the Sony 35mm f2.8.

I don't know if you can and I haven't checked the prices but if you can that's a tempting pair instead of just the one.

So I get a letter yesterday stating a company I used to work for is being wound up and so is their pension I was in (who knew? I'd forgotten all about it).

So in 3 months I should get a few grand

Hmmmm

One thing that could sway me is if you can really get the Samyang 24 and 35mm f2.8's for the price of the Sony 35mm f2.8.

I don't know if you can and I haven't checked the prices but if you can that's a tempting pair instead of just the one.

New v New is £110 cheaper for the Samyang pair at WEX than the Sony 35mm f2.8, but used I suspect would be a lot closer, the Samyang two seem to hold their value (probably because they are so cheap to start with) the Sony 35mm can be quite cheap used.

So I get a letter yesterday stating a company I used to work for is being wound up and so is their pension I was in (who knew? I'd forgotten all about it).

So in 3 months I should get a few grand

Hmmmm

These days you'll be lucky to get a new camera and a good lens for a few £k.

Dunno what existing kit you have but is upgrading / adding to it an option or would you rather get something new and shiny and exciting???

New v New is £110 cheaper for the Samyang pair at WEX than the Sony 35mm f2.8, but used I suspect would be a lot closer, the Samyang two seem to hold their value (probably because they are so cheap to start with) the Sony 35mm can be quite cheap used.

Yup but as I mentioned earlier... the little nagging voices are probably going to keep at it no matter which way JJ goes... The Sony to get the (maybe slightly) better lens or the Samyang to get the bargain or two Samyangs…. Hmmmm, as Sherlock may say "It's a three pipe problem."

Yup but as I mentioned earlier... the little nagging voices are probably going to keep at it no matter which way JJ goes... The Sony to get the (maybe slightly) better lens or the Samyang to get the bargain or two Samyangs…. Hmmmm, as Sherlock may say "It's a three pipe problem."

My voice is nagging me to get the Sony!! I have a 49mm filter and lens cap at home that would fit on it nicely!!

Just did a little test of the Sony Zeiss 35mm F2.8 that we're talking about on my A7ii. Random shots in my garden all at 1/60th, F2.8 ISO250. Raw files imported into LR and exported as jpeg with no changes. All a bit over exposed:D
44033765545_8286068222_b.jpg

44033766025_fb0050c75a_b.jpg

44033764545_a6aed3cf47_b.jpg

Need to get my bum out a bit more for a day or two but loving the files from the A7III even using Canon glass. Quick shot of my mates car out the back of our workshop.

MC11 with 85mm f1.2

i-3kG6xkk-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi to All,

Can anyone advise me if there is such an adapter that will allow me to use my Nikon flash system set up on my Sony.

Currently have the Godox TT685N + X1 Trigger and would like to be able to use them on the Sony.

Would also like to keep the TTL as well if poss.

Failing that off to classifieds they go.

Hi to All,

Can anyone advise me if there is such an adapter that will allow me to use my Nikon flash system set up on my Sony.

Currently have the Godox TT685N + X1 Trigger and would like to be able to use them on the Sony.

Would also like to keep the TTL as well if poss.

Failing that off to classifieds they go.

Just get a Sony X1 Trigger

Just get a Sony X1 Trigger

Was hoping to keep the kit, as I may use the flash on camera as well.

Looks like I will have to sell and buy again

Was hoping to keep the kit, as I may use the flash on camera as well.

Looks like I will have to sell and buy again

For now I'm just going to stick it on top of the trigger but trigger it via radio.

Will swap one out, but no point swapping out any of the ones I use as OCF. So I've just bought a Sony trigger for now

For now I'm just going to stick it on top of the trigger but trigger it via radio.

Will swap one out, but no point swapping out any of the ones I use as OCF. So I've just bought a Sony trigger for now

I'll see if I can get it as a swap item in classifieds.

Thanks

if yiu stick it on top of the trigger it will fire in manual mode via the centre pin, but you will not be able to access the ttl/radio functions as it is too close to the trigger the same as if you hold it just of camera close to the trigger

Back