The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Pointless Quiz time!!! Well later this evening anyway!

Just taken a few random shots with the Samyang and Sony 35mm 2.8 shots. These are handheld indoors at the same settings. Nothing else, not proper test situations. Some might say meaningless, but hey, just for fun! Might do the same for outdoors too and change up the settings!

Pointless Quiz time!!! Well later this evening anyway!

Just taken a few random shots with the Samyang and Sony 35mm 2.8 shots. These are handheld indoors at the same settings. Nothing else, not proper test situations. Some might say meaningless, but hey, just for fun! Might do the same for outdoors too and change up the settings!

Sadly TP forum is absolutely dreadful for displaying anything over 720p lol

Sadly TP forum is absolutely dreadful for displaying anything over 720p lol

True! But can click on them and look on Flickr!

It’s amazing the difference is colours between the 2 lenses using same settings!

So here is my pointless test really. Just interesting too see difference in colours. These are all jpegs from camera, 2.8, +1 exposure. Flickr shows them better.

Sony 35mm 2.8 vs Samyang 35mm 2.8 (in mixed order!) Full image then 100% crop.

1 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

2 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

3 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

4 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

5 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

6 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

7 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

8 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

The internet "experts" on DPR are saying that this issue is even worst than Sony. Apparently it shows in shadows in *every* picture that's pushed about 4 stops.
Comparatively it only shows in Sony under certain lighting while holding the camera at 37.413 degrees to the light source.

Not sure how true this is but sounds like they went shopping at canon's bargain sensor mart :D

So here is my pointless test really. Just interesting too see difference in colours. These are all jpegs from camera, 2.8, +1 exposure. Flickr shows them better.

The warmer or more yellow-orangey ones are samyang...

Easier to tell with cat pictures on my phone than other two

Put the samyang on an A7 and your subjects will have full on jaundice :D

Last edited:

So which are you going to keep? :)

The internet "experts" on DPR are saying that this issue is even worst than Sony. Apparently it shows in shadows in *every* picture that's pushed about 4 stops.
Comparatively it only shows in Sony under certain lighting while holding the camera at 37.413 degrees to the light source.

Not sure how true this is but sounds like they went shopping at canon's bargain sensor mart :D
I heard it was more like 3 stops. :eek:
Just goes to show that every camera has its negatives...... :)

o dear.

No wonder why sony diddnt even turn up in photokina with a response to canikon. no point. just chill and relax

Face detection and subject tracking only work in Auto area AF, AF-C only limited to 9-point area, and AF-C performance limited to m4/3-level. In some important ways, it's worse than 2 generations behind.

lol the nikon z camera's are getting destroyed in dp

So which are you going to keep? :)

Difficult!

I think the Sony has better colours but the Samyang looks to be sharper to me.

Sony is better built and you can add a filter under the hood which is a bonus.

Both focus rings are good. Samyang is a bit tighter and requires a little bit more effort to turn.

Need some further testing!

It’s a shame the 50 1.8 is bad, miss the 28/50 combo, but compromising at a 35!

Last edited:
Nothing new folks, thought I would put up some old photos...

Same here, no time or opportunity for photography.

A7 and Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4.

1-DSC02465-M.jpg

A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8.

1-DSC04459.jpg

A7 and Sony 55mm f1.8.

1-DSC07360_2.jpg

A7 and Sony 85mm f1.8.

1-DSC01571.jpg

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

1-DSC09576.jpg

It is. We (me and the Mrs when we were still single) went to see the sites and visit some relatives of mine who live not far from the station. I was really impressed with the performance of that Rokkor, the detail at 100% is impressive especially when you think how old that lens is.

The rumor site reports that Sony may soon launch a SLR style APS-C camera...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5...-the-middle-like-the-a7-series/#disqus_thread

If it happens it'll be interesting to see what they do.

And a PS to that, new lenses too... Maybe they'll add some of the missing APS-C lenses? f2.8 zooms maybe?

They also say a new camera could be announced at 15:00... but this is dated 1st October so I don't know if it didn't happen or they mean today. Could be the APS-C one?. Anyway, here it is, make of it what you will...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/tic...-be-posted-at-1500-london-time/#disqus_thread

Last edited:
The warmer or more yellow-orangey ones are samyang...

Easier to tell with cat pictures on my phone than other two

Put the samyang on an A7 and your subjects will have full on jaundice :D

Samyang colours defiantly warmer. I don’t dislike either, just different! Samyang defiantly looks a tad sharper, but at 100% both fair pretty well compared to some of my old Nikon lenses.

Need to take them both outdoors and see how they look in natural light.

I kind of expected the Sony to blow the Samyang away as it certainly does price wise.

Build difference is night and day, but the Samyang focus ring maybe feels a bit better as it’s tighter. Then again that may not be beneficial when doing MF!

Ok i was very generous with my observation on the hit rate of the af of the nikon z7. Only one or two shots from there AF Burst mode samples look like your first one in terns of pin sharp focus

The first eye image is a very heavy crop and I used Eye-AF :D sharp enough for me.

thought i recognised them. so, big question: new cabinet or 3rd kid?
Having recently moved home with a whole lot of spending still to come I think 2 kids are enough for now :D As for the cabinet..... we'll see ;) my lens collection isn't complete yet.

Back