The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

With the new high end APS-C possibly on the way and the continued popularity of the A6xxx series I was thinking I should change the thread name to...

The Amazing Sony FF and APS-C / Anything Else Welcome Mega Thread!

Unless there are any objections.

How about Sony Alpha Owners Thread

How about Sony Alpha Owners Thread

Good but surely too mundane with no sense of drama and maybe "users" is more inclusive than "owners" as someone may be using one from work or maybe using their dads kit.

"The Amazing Sony Alpha Users Mega Thread!"?

The all singing, all dancing humdinger Sony Alpha Users Megatastic thread?

So the new update may stop nandbytes whining...

The update unlocks all focus area settings with the Metabones. Zone, Expanded flex spot, and Lock-on all work, and work well.

All focus areas also work now with the MC-11 + Canon.

Last edited:
But "users" immediately excludes @Riz_Guru but yet he owns more than most of us :D

I forgot the cabinet fillers and gear fondlers.

So, "The Amazing All Singing, All Dancing Humdinger Sony Alpha Users, Cabinet Fillers and Gear Fondlers Megatastic Thread"?

Last edited:

The update unlocks all focus area settings with the Metabones. Zone, Expanded flex spot, and Lock-on all work, and work well.

That was the case from the last a9 update

Yep just confirmed it.

Though that doesn't mean canon and/or Sony a-mount lensesb work as well as native lenses. Also they need to do a LA-EA3 adapter that'll focus Minolta lenses.

That'll stop me whining :p

Am I imaging things or does this firmware update finally fix the live view effect being ignored when using a TTL trigger?

fw.jpg

Sony issued a new major firmware update for the Sony A7III (download here) and Sony A7rIII (download here).

A7III an A7rIII: Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
Support of “SEL400F28GM”and “SEL24F14GM”

• Optimization of the optical image stabilization performance, and addition of a new image stabilization mode of the lens (Mode 3)(Only “SEL400F28GM”).
  • Addition of a Function Ring(Lens) to the menu.
    Note: For the SEL400F28GM lens, the APS-C S35/Full Frame Sel. setting is assignable to the Function Ring in addition to Power Focus.
  • Addition of [Aperture Drive in AF] setting in the menu.
    *Using the lens “SEL400F28GM” or “SEL24F14GM”, when [Silent priority] is selected, the sound emitted by the aperture drive will be reduced. This is useful in shooting conditions where camera.
    noise should be kept to a minimum. Note that Auto Focus may become slower when [Silent priority] is selected.
New features:

• [AF Track Sens] can be assigned to a custom key.
  • When used with the LA-EA3 mount adaptor [link to product page], all focus areas are supported.
    Note : Focus Area options added : Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF.
    Bracket shooting is available during silent shooting when [File Format] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG] and [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed].
Other improvements:

• Improvement of the performance and the overall stability of the camera.
  • Better reproduction of the gradation of RAW pictures.
    Note: Imaging Edge software needs to be updated to benefit from the improvement in the RAW processing.
  • When shooting with a flash in an environment with flickering light sources, the stability of the exposure is improved.
  • Improvement of managing continuously shot images as a group.
    Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.

It's an EXE file, is there a Mac version?

You get a cable included with the camera and have to buy a memory card separately?

You know anyone who has a camera and don't have a memory card?

No doubt you are going to say you know someone or some story of some noob, but then if they are that much of a noob not knowing cameras don't come with memory cards, they wouldn't know anything about firmware either.

No doubt you are going to say you know someone or some story of some noob, but then if they are that much of a noob not knowing cameras don't come with memory cards, they wouldn't know anything about firmware either.

there is no reason why the can't offer both options! The USB cable option for those who insist on shooting cameras without SD cards and also SD card option for those with SD cards!
i don't think it'll too much work on Sony's part to implement this but they probably won't :p

there is no reason why the can't offer both options! The USB cable option for those who insist on shooting cameras without SD cards and also SD card option for those with SD cards!
i don't think it'll too much work on Sony's part to implement this but they probably won't :p

It's funny how you take these things for granted in Canon and Fuji. Something so simple and expect everyone to do the same, like having a round wheel instead of a square one.

Off to Dubai soon.....

Sony A7 III
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8

Small and light kit...... still considering other lenses but then the kit becomes big and heavy :(

A couple from the last time....

Last edited:
I might get a holiday next year, maybe August, to either Singapore or Thailand. I'd like to see the gardens by the bay in Singapore but other than that I'd rather go to Thailand.

Maybe there'll be a 35mm f1.8 in time for mine :D

I might get a holiday next year, maybe August, to either Singapore or Thailand. I'd like to see the gardens by the bay in Singapore but other than that I'd rather go to Thailand.

Maybe there'll be a 35mm f1.8 in time for mine :D
As much as I love my G Master glass... its not really ideal for travelling .... :(
When I went to Dubai the last time ... I took the 24-70mm f4 which I hardly used, the 55mm f1.8 (used most) and the 70-200mm f4 G OSS.
The 85mm f1.4 GM is big and heavy......... perhaps the 1.8 version is needed :D lol

As much as I love my G Master glass... its not really ideal for travelling .... :(
When I went to Dubai the last time ... I took the 24-70mm f4 which I hardly used, the 55mm f1.8 (used most) and the 70-200mm f4 G OSS.
The 85mm f1.4 GM is big and heavy......... perhaps the 1.8 version is needed :D lol

what you need is an A7RIII. Take the 85mm GM and crop to 200mm :D
much smaller kit that way :D

I have my 85 1.8 in the classifieds but debating just keeping it for this reason.

I was gonna buy another smaller system for my travels but considering just buying the Sony 35 2.8 and keeping my 85 1.8 for when I want a lighter set up. I was considering the Sony 28mm but apparently its absolutely pants.

Maybe they want to make it easier for some support tech to just hook up a cable on a retail package, maybe they don't want to let users have an easy way to update the firmware so they can't tamper with it, maybe they do it just to annoy you?

I'm no fan of their approach either, the first update failed on me repeatedly, so don't take it out on me.

I have my 85 1.8 in the classifieds but debating just keeping it for this reason.

I was gonna buy another smaller system for my travels but considering just buying the Sony 35 2.8 and keeping my 85 1.8 for when I want a lighter set up. I was considering the Sony 28mm but apparently its absolutely pants.
FE28 is actually very good. at f2.8 its sharper than FE35/2.8 in corners.

Friend of mine has a 28mm he said it was absolute garbage, worst lens they make.

no that's FE 50mm f1.8 :D

The FE28 is rather good. It has a lot of distortion but corrected in software. Some people like this because it keeps the size of the lens down and some people don't like it.
Perhaps its not to everyones tastes but I wouldn't go as far as calling it garbage (unless he had a bad copy).

Last edited:
Back