The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Clearly it works. We are now in third gen and yep still works on FF.
I don't think anyone is debating whether it works or not. I think they are saying it's easier* to design lenses for larger mounts.

*What "easier" exactly means is a bit dubious tbh, could mean more compact lens or lenses with less corrections hence glass elements i.e. permitting simpler design lenses.

Then again look at FE55 I can't really see canikon making a lens that's sharper and/or smaller.

It's all very dubious, we haven't had any credible optic engineers comment on it to fully understand the issue.

I don't think anyone is debating whether it works or not. I think they are saying it's easier* to design lenses for larger mounts.

*What "easier" exactly means is a bit dubious tbh, could mean more compact lens or lenses with less corrections hence glass elements i.e. permitting simpler design lenses.

Then again look at FE55 I can't really see canikon making a lens that's sharper and/or smaller.

It's all very dubious, we haven't had any credible optic engineers comment on it to fully understand the issue.

Simpler less expensive lenses like the 3k 2870 f2?

I done both my A7IIIs lol. Was shooting yesterday and one of them just stopped working, no power etc. Didn't catch on for about 15 minutes but the grip had came loose o_O

:D ffs.
Can see how that could easily happen with both batteries being in the grip rather than one in the camera.

Funny isn’t it, let’s see if Sony can continue to innovate and keep ahead of the competition.
I think Sony’s GM lenses are some of the best lenses out there. :)

The GM lenses are rather nice plus it’s pretty much the only full frame system that allows for reliable autofocus with the Sigma Art lenses which are also very nice.

I think you may be getting confused. The new z mount reg distance is even shorter than Sony, does that make it even worse lol
Think you are confusing things.

Raymond f-mount which is similar size to e-mount has been fit for FF for a long time. While that's true, I said but f-mount had a larger flange distance. Implying its not quite comparable to e-mount.

I never made any judgement on what's better or worst since I don't know. I am not an optics engineer.

Think you are confusing things.

Raymond f-mount which is similar size to e-mount has been fit for FF for a long time. While that's true, I said but f-mount had a larger flange distance. Implying its not quite comparable to e-mount.

I never made any judgement on what's better or worst since I don't know. I am not an optics engineer.

Nor am I, but we all know the EOS mount has a wider mount too and a similar flange distance yet Nikon got it to work (mostly), except they couldn't make AF F/1.0 lenses with the F-Mount and with the new 55/0.95 being MF and not AF, they still can't…

I dunno, I guess it's all meaningless, all it matters is what lenses you bring out.

My point was that not that long ago Nikon users were all going about diameter is not a problem or make no difference, I mean if the wider mount do make a difference, it would be a bit pointless if they don't come out with some lenses like 28-70/2.0 or 50/1.2 AF out of the block to make their point, wouldn't it? :D

Leica better bring out some AF F/1.0 lenses or it's just all talk.

Last edited:
Leica says Sony e-mount not made for FF - https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/le...-mount-wasnt-designed-for-full-frame-sensors/

time to grab your torches and pitchforks :D

All this lens mount size stuff is all a bit baffling. The Sony system obviously works with f1.2 and wider lenses and works with FF lenses from Sony / Zeiss and a host of others and with all the legacy lenses I have. Me thinks me smells bovine waste material mixed with sour grapes. Either that or the competition is right and Sony have bypassed the problems by employing wizards.

The rumor site reports that Sony will add a top lcd to future models if customers want it.

Who wants one?

I couldn't give a flying. I haven't had one since my Canon days and I don't miss them.

Nor am I, but we all know the EOS mount has a wider mount too and a similar flange distance yet Nikon got it to work (mostly), except they couldn't make AF F/1.0 lenses with the F-Mount and with the new 55/0.95 being MF and not AF, they still can't…

I dunno, I guess it's all meaningless, all it matters is what lenses you bring out.

My point was that not that long ago Nikon users were all going about diameter is not a problem or make no difference, I mean if the wider mount do make a difference, it would be a bit pointless if they don't come out with some lenses like 28-70/2.0 or 50/1.2 AF out of the block to make their point, wouldn't it? :D

Leica better bring out some AF F/1.0 lenses or it's just all talk.

Leica don't make good cameras though, just cameras that have been polished a lot.

Here is a Nikon Optical Engineer explaining the need and consequences of the larger lens mount and shorter flange distance with Nikon mirrorless cameras. While he may not be unbiased, he is an Optical Engineer. ;) Time will tell whether Nikon can do things with this larger mount and shorter flange distance that others may not be able to do. Btw, I was very impressed by his drawing in reverse as well as his presentation. :D
View: https://youtu.be/LxT17A40d50

All this lens mount size stuff is all a bit baffling. The Sony system obviously works with f1.2 and wider lenses and works with FF lenses from Sony / Zeiss and a host of others and with all the legacy lenses I have. Me thinks me smells bovine waste material mixed with sour grapes. Either that or the competition is right and Sony have bypassed the problems by employing wizards.
I don't think Nikon would take the risk of changing to a whole new mount if they didn't think it was needed for various optical reasons to improve the lenses they can now make.
The rumor site reports that Sony will add a top lcd to future models if customers want it.

Who wants one?

I couldn't give a flying. I haven't had one since my Canon days and I don't miss them.
And if most people think the same as you then it probably won't happen. ;) But maybe, if they do put it one new cameras in the future many others will have probably indicated through Sony surveying that they did give a flying... ;) :LOL:

Who wants one?

Meh don't care. It's unnecessary. Had it on my a-mount cameras and I never needed it.

I don't think Nikon would take the risk of changing to a whole new mount if they didn't think it was needed for various optical reasons to improve the lenses they can now make.
And if most people think the same as you then it probably won't happen. ;) But maybe, if they do put it one new cameras in the future many others will have probably indicated through Sony surveying that they did give a flying... ;) :LOL:

Companies exist to make money and Nikons new mount doubtless has merit and maybe a lot of merit but there could just be some marketing in their too. You only have to have a peak into Fuji land to see how marketing has (IMO and arguably etc) dictated the hardware and see the double speak and spin.

I doubt I'm in a majority over the top display, I think many people would like one and I do understand that it'll show you the settings but for me it'll just be another thing I don't value much if at all. I certainly wouldn't discount a camera without one or go for one with for that reason.

Nikon changed the mount because they had to reduce the flange distance. Once you remove the mirror there is no real benefit in having such a large flange.
And while they were at it they felt that a large mount diameter was a good thing. Canon obviously felt the same since they made yet another mount!

Last edited:

Who wants one?

More information &/or options are always better imo/ime. There’s wasted space on the current a7 line. An extra dial or two like the a9 would be excellent. It’s really not something that should be excluded and only given to the a9.

At first I didn’t like the idea of a top lcd on the Fuji xh1- but they give you the option to customise what info you see. So at a glance being able to see camera settings, amount of shots left on the cards and battery info for example - well that’s really helpful info imo and well worth a flying one.

Here is a Nikon Optical Engineer explaining the need and consequences of the larger lens mount and shorter flange distance with Nikon mirrorless cameras. While he may not be unbiased, he is an Optical Engineer. ;) Time will tell whether Nikon can do things with this larger mount and shorter flange distance that others may not be able to do. Btw, I was very impressed by his drawing in reverse as well as his presentation. :D
View: https://youtu.be/LxT17A40d50

Seems like mostly marketing talk with claims that have been mostly satisfied by already existing lenses on Sony.
One extra point I gathered was the claim that they have design lenses that focus faster. I wonder how true that is.

The drawings and presentation of it was pretty cool :D

31390051728_1ce3a1037b_z.jpg

Bought yesterday from Wex "opened box used", good saving on new, it's in mint condition.

So at a glance being able to see camera settings, amount of shots left on the cards and battery info for example - well that’s really helpful info imo and well worth a flying one.

It's not that I couldn't give a flying in a bad way, it's just that I don't care and I just don't miss having one at all. I can see how others would like one though and I do think that more customisability is nice. Having said that I read a post on this site recently from someone who liked the latest Canon (or it could have been Nikon) mirrorless because it wasn't as customisable as Sony and having lots of customisable buttons makes cameras too complicated. That surprised me but each to their own.

Back