The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

As I’ve not even looked at Sony’s until a week ago, note some say the S model should be good. What’s that likely to have?

Yeah but that's where eye AF shines, although that is improved on the X-T3 and I don't know I have seen him use it.

He just posted the video. At first glance in the start of the video the Fuji does look like to have better colours, his usual look and the Sony seems too yellow but later on when the sun has set the Sony looks to be more neutral.

One thing to note is that he shoots jpegs on these so any DR advantages of the Sony is gone and also he never used eye-af once in either of them, so the whole exercise is really about colour balance and bokeh.

At first glance I much prefer the X-T3 and in a way, it’s all about making it look good as opposed to looking neutral. However if you process a lot, I think the Sony is the better choice.

Also, the colours of the 35/1.4 he has on the Sony seem to have warmer colours than the 85/1.8. Different lighting conditions sure but the difference was quite evident. When it was dark he stopped posting the Fuji for some reason too so can’t compare.

He just posted the video. At first glance in the start of the video the Fuji does look like to have better colours, his usual look and the Sony seems too yellow but later on when the sun has set the Sony looks to be more neutral.

One thing to note is that he shoots jpegs on these so any DR advantages of the Sony is gone and also he never used eye-af once in either of them, so the whole exercise is really about colour balance and bokeh.

At first glance I much prefer the X-T3 and in a way, it’s all about making it look good as opposed to looking neutral. However if you process a lot, I think the Sony is the better choice.

Also, the colours of the 35/1.4 he has on the Sony seem to have warmer colours than the 85/1.8. Different lighting conditions sure but the difference was quite evident. When it was dark he stopped posting the Fuji for some reason too so can’t compare.

So hes comparing colour balance of built in JPG processing which can be tweaked extensively in camera.

I ordered an AR3 from Panamoz late Tuesday evening been tracking it and it has cleared customs, due for delivery 2pm Monday, when I saw it had dropped to a straight £2000 I could no longer resist.

gosh, £2k and 3 years warranty... need more GAS resistance!

I’m finding the e-infinity delivery a tad bizarre. 2 days from order to say it’s been processed, then another 2 days to say dispatched. 24-48 hours for tracking to work? If it had have been Panamoz, it would have been here by now. Maybe it was cheap because someone’s walking it to my door?

I have used e-infinity regularly and they tend to take a week from initial order through to delivery. Never had any issues or delays from them. They provide tracking and use DHL. Have used Panamoz as well and their delivery period was exactly the same.

Last edited:
gosh, £2k and 3 years warranty... need more GAS resistance!

So cheap all things considered!

£1700 for an A73
£2000 for an A7R3
£2500 for an A9

Great time to buy in to the system!!!

Panamoz are answering emails today so think I’m going to place my order shortly!

I'll catch up on that later. Is it the Sony 35mm of the Samyang, as the Samyang has that yellow tint doesn't it?

So hes comparing colour balance of built in JPG processing which can be tweaked extensively in camera.

That's what a lot of people like about Fuji. I like the Acros out of camera, but apart from that I still shoot RAW to be honest. These are just tools to be used the way you want at the end of the day.

Anyone shooting godox on the xpro, when you dial in compensation for TTL does the value show on the light ? When I dial it in it doesn't show on the screen of the AD200s or 600pro

£2500 is just a great price for what it offers! The A7R3 probably also useful for sports as still 18mp in crop but the A9 focussing is meant to be something else.

I dismissed the A7R3 as the focus points don't cover the entire screen, and I couldn't justify 2 A9 bodies.

Anyone shooting godox on the xpro, when you dial in compensation for TTL does the value show on the light ? When I dial it in it doesn't show on the screen of the AD200s or 600pro

Not noticed, but can check today for you, flashes will definitely be out at today's wedding

Strange question but with electric shutter on the A9 can you still have a shutter sound?

Also what are the different FPS speeds? Is it like 5/10/20?

Agreed.(y) I really do think that there's something about the Canon colours that Sony haven't/don't want to get near.:confused: The main lights last night were blue white and the cathedral lights were orangey, so a bit difficult. More critical for the official tog as he has to make sure that the outfit colours are spot on... I just please myself! :D

And that's what it's all about. It's actually a quick fix in LR, warm up by +35 and drag the bottom of the blue channel across to the right, sync that across the rest and the colour really pops.

31572695698_2fde5f2726_b.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers. Appreciate you taking the time. (y) Maybe just a tad too warm for me, but somewhere in between would be perfect. (y)

No problem, cool to your own taste. I did drop the black slider a bit too.

Anyone have an issue with your LR catalog after the last update? I’ve had to open a backup after the launch failed to find my master?

Strange question but with electric shutter on the A9 can you still have a shutter sound?

Also what are the different FPS speeds? Is it like 5/10/20?

AUTO/Electronic Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 20 fps, Mid: max. 10fps, Lo: max. 5 fps

Mechanical Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 5 fps, Mid: max. 5fps, Lo: max. 2.5 fps

You can enable / disable the fake shutter sound for the electronic shutter :)

AUTO/Electronic Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 20 fps, Mid: max. 10fps, Lo: max. 5 fps

Mechanical Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 5 fps, Mid: max. 5fps, Lo: max. 2.5 fps

You can enable / disable the fake shutter sound for the electronic shutter :)

Thank you! Good to know!

Playing silly buggers in the garden with the Canon EF500mm f4 MKII and 2x tc with Sigma MC11 plus crop mode on the A7III,poor old little sony looks lost on the end :)

i-PqVLL3r-X2.jpg

I tried similar last night with a much more modest setup, but the A9 didn't like it and wouldn't let me take a shot. Which is confusing as ''shoot without lens' is enabled :grumpy:

I watched that earlier, can I just say I am an indecisive idiot. I fully decide on the A7 III and everytime I see or read something about how amazing the A9 is I get the wobbles.

Read more stuff about how amazing the a7iii is then don't wobble. Just buy, get it over and done with, pondering is a waste of time.

I don't understand why with all the kit they have access to they insist on using the wrong setup as their main video camera, do they like the blurry look?

I don't understand why they are so popular. I'm no photographer (just a happy snapper really) but their lack of ability at times even shocks me and makes me wonder why people would listen to what they have to say...

Reactions: 4wd
I don't understand why they are so popular. I'm no photographer (just a happy snapper really) but their lack of ability at times even shocks me and makes me wonder why people would listen to what they have to say...

They're the 'Daytime TV' or 'Easy Listening' version of Youtube photography channels, I find them easy enough to watch, though not a favourite. I can see americans loving them.

I use the wider focal points a lot, not having to focus and recompose shots was one of the reasons for switching from the D750
I’ve not had to do that on my R2 or R3 and I’ve shot as close to the edge that I’d ever need to but if that’s what you need it’s a good reason.

Back