The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Okay probably done to death but bags. (I already have 12 :eek:) but am not liking them for my Sony stuff. I prefer a messenger style bag and currently mostly use a Lowepro stealth reporter D650.

I need something that will accommodate.

2 x A7III's
Sony 24mm f/1.4 GM
Sigma 35mm Art f/1.4
Sony 55mm f/1.8
Sony 85MM f/1.4GM
Sony 90mm f/2.8
Sony 70-200 f/4
2 x Godox V350S
A few odds and sods battery grip, spare batteries, rocket blower etc.

I have other bags for the rest of my lighting stuff.

Any suggestions?

View media item 13330
It's even got a carrying handle !!!

Well I've finally made my choice: A7 III just ordered from Panamoz, todays price drop to £1715 helped a little and I decided that the 'all round' ability of the Mk3 and the £800 saving over the A9 would be better spent towards glass for me. :D

one more with the 55mm

7-1 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Loved having a look through your flickr,your shots with that 55mm and also 50mm are superb and put my Canon 50mm f1.2 to shame so i should really consider getting rid of my Canon 85mm and 50mm for the Sigma equivalent.

Seeing you use the Fuji X-T2 also i still think its one of the nicest cameras to use but just wish they would make a full frame version.

As soon as i can remember my Flickr password i will give you a follow.

Loved having a look through your flickr,your shots with that 55mm and also 50mm are superb and put my Canon 50mm f1.2 to shame so i should really consider getting rid of my Canon 85mm and 50mm for the Sigma equivalent.

Seeing you use the Fuji X-T2 also i still think its one of the nicest cameras to use but just wish they would make a full frame version.

As soon as i can remember my Flickr password i will give you a follow.

Thanks for the compliments.

Love the little zeiss 55mm. I never used the 50 focal length much before getting that lens and genuinely believe it changed the way I shoot. It was the first lens I bought when I got an original a7 years ago and I was blown away by it. By far my favourite lens for the system.

The sigma 50mm is mind blowing, but it’s too much of a chore to carry about for my liking. Same with the sigma 85 - oversized imo. I have the canon 85 f1.2 and plan to keep hold of it for some time if I can.

Love the little zeiss 55mm. I never used the 50 focal length much before getting that lens and genuinely believe it changed the way I shoot. It was the first lens I bought when I got an original a7 years ago and I was blown away by it. By far my favourite lens for the system.

The sigma 50mm is mind blowing, but it’s too much of a chore to carry about for my liking. Same with the sigma 85 - oversized imo. I have the canon 85 f1.2 and plan to keep hold of it for some time if I can.

Yeah the sigma delivers but it is heavy, the 55 video af is also much better.

How poor is the original a7 in terms of focus speed ? I have a d500 as my "main" camera and an Olympus e-m10 mk2 + 20mm f17 and 12-32 as my travel camera.

My travel camera doesn't need real quick focussing. But yesterday I had it in London on a river cruise at dusk and even iso800 is quite noisy. That said, I was able to shot at really low SS ( 1/5s ) hand held as night drew in..

My question is what are the lenses I'd need to get to replicate my set up ? I have no knowledge of the Sony lenses really. Also, if they are comparatively large, am I best off sticking with Nikon ?

How poor is the original a7 in terms of focus speed ? I have a d500 as my "main" camera and an Olympus e-m10 mk2 + 20mm f17 and 12-32 as my travel camera.

My travel camera doesn't need real quick focussing. But yesterday I had it in London on a river cruise at dusk and even iso800 is quite noisy. That said, I was able to shot at really low SS ( 1/5s ) hand held as night drew in..

My question is what are the lenses I'd need to get to replicate my set up ? I have no knowledge of the Sony lenses really. Also, if they are comparatively large, am I best off sticking with Nikon ?

Af speed is very relaxed with the original a7, nowhere near d500 speed, if that's what you're after don't even consider it. I don't think it's a wise move from what you have to the MK1. Where you lose iso you have very good Ibis and better af. The Mk1 hi iso files aren't great either, d500 is probably better.

35 2.8 and 28-70 kit lens.

Last edited:
I'm not thinking of it to replace my Nikon for Motorsport etc, more a travel+ camera i.e. moving from Olympus to Sony. but I appreciate the mk1 is pretty old now technologically so perhaps I'm wiser waiting a while

I'm not thinking of it to replace my Nikon for Motorsport etc, more a travel+ camera i.e. moving from Olympus to Sony. but I appreciate the mk1 is pretty old now technologically so perhaps I'm wiser waiting a while

Sorry I misread as em1 MK2, in that case the af probably isn't much better than the a7. Still, you're losing stops from the lens and the ibis handholding.

Good to hear another thumbs up for the 55, looking forward to getting mine Thursday. I decided on the weight aspect too in the end, suits the way I enjoy to shoot, I don’t want to over balance the body at that FL.

From the Sony rumours site from the head of Sigma China.

Actually we’ve noticed that mirrorless users values compactness over shear sharpness, so we are thinking about going that direction.

Would be nice to see some smaller Sigma Art lenses.

Actually we’ve noticed that mirrorless users values compactness over shear sharpness, so we are thinking about going that direction.

I guess it's about finding the balance in size vs IQ. I don't mind a larger lens providing it has other benefits.

On that note, all you guys wanting smaller lenses will be selling off your Sigma Art collection so drop me a PM with those bargains :D

The A7 is no speed demon but more than good enough for static people and scenic shots and it'll just about cope with someone at walking speed. That's been my experience anyway. The face detect works quite well, IMO, but I'm not used to the latest kit so the fact that it works at all seems like Voodoo to me. I don't know anything about the D500 but I know a little about MFT as I've had it since the early days. I'd say that an A7 and any of the AF lenses I have (28-70mm, 35mm f2.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8) is possibly not all that bad comparted to the 20mm f1.7 for speed as that lens isn't the quickest. IQ wise an A7 is ahead of the latest MFT 16 and 20mp sensors if you go looking for the differences.

I find all ISO's up to and including the max to be useable with care and basic processing and I've posted lots of high ISO shots here but good luck finding them :D If you're really interested I could (somehow) send you some raws to play with or I'm sure you could Google your way to some raws to download.

One thing to think about with the early cameras is sensor reflections with some lenses in some situations but I can't say it's ever bothered me. Other than that I think that an A7 and a compact lens or two could be well worth a serious look if you don't need a speed demon.

PS.
Lens wise you could look at the Samyang 35mm f2.8 and the 28-70mm kit lens.

Last edited:

A compact 35mm f1.8 anyone?

I had a play with my Nikon pre ai 35mm f2.8 and 50mm f2 the other day and the main problems are flare and vignetting but the former could be helped by a hood and the latter is within the range my CS5 can cope with. Stopped down sharpness across the frame stands up well enough for me and as with most of my old lenses these two are good enough for many situations and if these old lenses aren't all that bad I'm pretty sure that any modern lens that isn't a state of the art example of sheer sharpness will be good enough too. So bring them on Sigma.

Last edited:

Well that haven't really considered mirrorless in their lens designs at all yet, they just stuck the FE mount on their DSLR lenses... I'm still gutted my old Sigma 50mm f1.4 doesn't work adapted on Sony :(

I wonder if they take the senor glass thickness into consideration? I wonder if they do more than just bung an adapter on?

I read some time ago that it does matter but I don't know how close you have to look to see that it matters.

PS.
I had the old Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's and at the time I couldn't imagine wanting better lenses but I have to admit that the Sony 55 and 85mm f1.8's are better... they're only f1.8 though.

Last edited:

The Samyang 24 and 35mm are as small as lenses can possibly get. Granted they are 2.8 but make for a great light weight travel kit.

I guess it's about finding the balance in size vs IQ. I don't mind a larger lens providing it has other benefits.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't want to sharpness for a lighter weight but I would be happy to have a lighter weight f/1.8 lens if the performance was as good instead of a heavy f/1.4 lens.

The question that the Sigma guy was asked was Sigma already has a well-established F1.4 ART prime line, what are you going to do next? Maybe even larger aperture?

So I think his answer may have been translated badly and they are possibly looking at small mirrorless lenses that won't be f/1.4.

I bought the Sony 55mm f/1.8 over the Sigma Art 50mm just because of the size, I already have the 50mm Sigma Art in Nikon mount and it's a better lens but on e mount the sheer size of it for a lens in that focal length isn't practical.

Last edited:
The canon lads are getting a 24mm and an 85mm f/1.2 for the Canon R wonder how huge those will be.

Golly. Dunno about 10K but I'm sure they wont be £600-800 :D

It's interesting that all the chat here is about the Canon whereas on another site it's all about the Nikon.

One thing that does surprise me a little is that these new bodies arguably / probably lag behind the A7III in a few areas that could matter but are more expensive and people are interested. It's as if Sony are still seen as an upstart electronics company who really should be putting their resources into large screen TV's, that's a comment I read somewhere, also read lots of comments to the effect of "Not interested in Sony" and "Would never consider Sony." Fanboys all?

A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8 at f18. Branch swing and trying to get a sunstar…

1-DSC01844.jpg

Yeah, I probably wouldn't want to sharpness for a lighter weight but I would be happy to have a lighter weight f/1.8 lens if the performance was as good instead of a heavy f/1.4 lens.

The question that the Sigma guy was asked was Sigma already has a well-established F1.4 ART prime line, what are you going to do next? Maybe even larger aperture?

So I think his answer may have been translated badly and they are possibly looking at small mirrorless lenses that won't be f/1.4.

I bought the Sony 55mm f/1.8 over the Sigma Art 50mm just because of the size, I already have the 50mm Sigma Art in Nikon mount and it's a better lens but on e mount the sheer size of it for a lens in that focal length isn't practical.

sigma should release quality affordable 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 native zooms for e mount. that would put the cat amongst the pigeons

Sigma zoom lenses as a rule have been pretty muck up until now.

which is why they should work on new ones from the ground-up designed specific for e-mount. priced well they would sell like hot cakes for those who don't fancy spending thousands for the gm

Back