The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

XRcAd2t.jpg

Golly. Dunno about 10K but I'm sure they wont be £600-800 :D

It's interesting that all the chat here is about the Canon whereas on another site it's all about the Nikon.

One thing that does surprise me a little is that these new bodies arguably / probably lag behind the A7III in a few areas that could matter but are more expensive and people are interested. It's as if Sony are still seen as an upstart electronics company who really should be putting their resources into large screen TV's, that's a comment I read somewhere, also read lots of comments to the effect of "Not interested in Sony" and "Would never consider Sony." Fanboys all?

I’m not sure it’s a Sony thing. I assume more likely it’s canon users are not interested in non-canons and Nikon owners are not interested in non-Nikon’s. Or at least for some.

Watched the F1 Grand Prix from Texas on Sunday - considering the market share Sony are reporting and everyone on here stating how good they are not one of the Pro Togs was using any Sony gear whatsoever, all were mainly Canon and some Nikon bodies but definitely no mirrorless or Sony. Looks like the camera isn't as 'revered' as some on here might like to think for the pro sports photographer?

Why hasn't there been this 'mass move' if the camera is 'so good'?

Is it just not the case of while you can salivate all day long about the spec sheets in the real world the DSLR is still better at this present time for this type of photography?

Last edited:
Watched the F1 Grand Prix from Texas on Sunday - considering the market share Sony are reporting and everyone on here stating how good they are not one of the Pro Togs was using any Sony gear whatsoever, all were mainly Canon and some Nikon bodies but definitely no mirrorless or Sony. Looks like the camera isn't as 'revered' as some on here might like to think for the pro sports photographer?

Keep on trolling :D

Is it just not the case of while you can salivate all day long about the spec sheets in the real world the DSLR is still better at this present time for this type of photography?

a lot of working photographers are less obsessive about gear and understand that spending a truck load of money switching systems won't really make too much difference to their end result. nikon and canon have more options lens wise for sports and testament to that is the gear you can see being used up and down the country at sporting events. people shooting with 300mm f2.8 etc won't want to switch if that lens isn't available yet.

give it a few years and the picture will look differently im sure.

a lot of working photographers are less obsessive about gear and understand that spending a truck load of money switching systems won't really make too much difference to their end result. nikon and canon have more options lens wise for sports and testament to that is the gear you can see being used up and down the country at sporting events. people shooting with 300mm f2.8 etc won't want to switch if that lens isn't available yet.

Cheers for that Jonathan.

Last edited:

Don't feed the trolls.

Cheers for that Jonathan. I shoot a lot of motorsports and from what you are saying it's the lens selection that is holding back the camera? I have no doubt that mirrorless is the future but at the moment the switch probably isn't worthwhile?

i don't shoot motorsport but i know theres more options available for other brands currently.
There are a few options for sony now and they are clearly committed to updating the lens suite.

personally i just think if someone has a bag of canon gear for example, and has been shooting with it professionally for x amount of years - they are likely to use their gear until it stops working or when they feel its no longer up to the job. there wouldn't be a lot of reasons to switch. Because something may be technically "better" doesn't mean its better suited to everyone. if they are happy with the canon feel and output/colour etc that may be a factor not to switch.

pro sports photography doesn't pay anywhere near what it used to either so i would think that may be a factor too.

one things for sure - they won't want to switch to the canikon mirrorless offerings for sports.

I dont consider myself a pro along the lines of F1 but i have covered British Superbikes and worked for MSVR and Pirelli for the last eight years and am still on the fence about changing over fully to mirrorless although i know a few that have started. Having invested over the years in Canon as that really was all that was about its a big kick in the nuts to change over to Sony and loose so much money in all honesty on my gear as in the 500mm f4 MKII,400mm f2.8 MKII and 300mm f2.8 MKII regardless how good the A9 is and also as the only prime released so far is the 400mm f2.8.

Many of the togs trackside are from Getty and they get such a discount and service off Canon that you wont see Sony get a look in still for a long time yet regardless how good the cameras and lenses are.

Most the motorsport togs that i know that dont work for agencies still use older gear to be honest and will continue to do this until it falls apart as they just dont earn or have the money for the latest tech as much as they would love to and infact could probably take better pictures with a point and shoot than 95% of people with the latest and greatest kit be it Sony,Canon or Nikon.

Still as far as any mirrorless goes Sony are way in front of anything anyone else can offer at this time,love the features on my A7III and look forward to adding an A9 once funds allow and im sure i will be a convert in the future.

Last edited:
Golly. Dunno about 10K but I'm sure they wont be £600-800 :D

It's interesting that all the chat here is about the Canon whereas on another site it's all about the Nikon.

One thing that does surprise me a little is that these new bodies arguably / probably lag behind the A7III in a few areas that could matter but are more expensive and people are interested. It's as if Sony are still seen as an upstart electronics company who really should be putting their resources into large screen TV's, that's a comment I read somewhere, also read lots of comments to the effect of "Not interested in Sony" and "Would never consider Sony." Fanboys all?
what do they know :D

The A7 is no speed demon but more than good enough for static people and scenic shots and it'll just about cope with someone at walking speed. That's been my experience anyway. The face detect works quite well, IMO, but I'm not used to the latest kit so the fact that it works at all seems like Voodoo to me. I don't know anything about the D500 but I know a little about MFT as I've had it since the early days. I'd say that an A7 and any of the AF lenses I have (28-70mm, 35mm f2.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8) is possibly not all that bad comparted to the 20mm f1.7 for speed as that lens isn't the quickest. IQ wise an A7 is ahead of the latest MFT 16 and 20mp sensors if you go looking for the differences.

I find all ISO's up to and including the max to be useable with care and basic processing and I've posted lots of high ISO shots here but good luck finding them :D If you're really interested I could (somehow) send you some raws to play with or I'm sure you could Google your way to some raws to download.

One thing to think about with the early cameras is sensor reflections with some lenses in some situations but I can't say it's ever bothered me. Other than that I think that an A7 and a compact lens or two could be well worth a serious look if you don't need a speed demon.

PS.
Lens wise you could look at the Samyang 35mm f2.8 and the 28-70mm kit lens.

If you don't need blistering AF then the A7 is a cheap way into Sony - It might not stay cheap though if you want the biggest & the best!

If you were lucky you could pick up an A7, 28-70mm & Samyang 35/2.8 plus a few old manual primes/adapters for well under a grand. If you want lightweight shooting with more than adequate IQ you can't go much wrong.

If you don't need blistering AF then the A7 is a cheap way into Sony - It might not stay cheap though if you want the biggest & the best!

If you were lucky you could pick up an A7, 28-70mm & Samyang 35/2.8 plus a few old manual primes/adapters for well under a grand. If you want lightweight shooting with more than adequate IQ you can't go much wrong.

It might be a foot in for next year, I'll see. As you say, the problem is I'll want to upgrade soon after knowing me :rolleyes:

How sharp are people finding the Sony 35mm 2.8?

I dont consider myself a pro along the lines of F1 but i have covered British Superbikes and worked for MSVR and Pirelli for the last eight years and am still on the fence about changing over fully to mirrorless although i know a few that have started. Having invested over the years in Canon as that really was all that was about its a big kick in the nuts to change over to Sony and loose so much money in all honesty on my gear as in the 500mm f4 MKII,400mm f2.8 MKII and 300mm f2.8 MKII regardless how good the A9 is and also as the only prime released so far is the 400mm f2.8.

Many of the togs trackside are from Getty and they get such a discount and service off Canon that you wont see Sony get a look in still for a long time yet regardless how good the cameras and lenses are.

Most the motorsport togs that i know that dont work for agencies still use older gear to be honest and will continue to do this until it falls apart as they just dont earn or have the money for the latest tech as much as they would love to and infact could probably take better pictures with a point and shoot than 95% of people with the latest and greatest kit be it Sony,Canon or Nikon.

Still as far as any mirrorless goes Sony are way in front of anything anyone else can offer at this time,love the features on my A7III and look forward to adding an A9 once funds allow and im sure i will be a convert in the future.

I spent a lot of time in the paddock at f1 events in 2008/9 and most of the kit was canon then. I think sports was always a market for them and they gave a lot of support at events, having service teams and spares on site. You see similar things at the Olympics. I noticed at a GP last year that there were more Nikons about, still more canon though. I suspect that it's the support thing still.

I've shot canon and Fuji, it was an easy decision for me when I started and I have a fair amount invested in glass so switching would be painful however I constantly feel the pull towards sony and love the fact that they are giving the market a real kit up the arse.

What I don't understand however is all the snobbery from both sides. Just seems pointless.

Just in case anyone is interested LCE have the following Canon FD lenses...

28mm f2.8 - £49.99.
35mm f2.8 - £59.99.
50mm f1.8 breech lock - £39.99.
50mm f3.5 macro - £79.99.
100mm f2.8 - £89.99.

They also have a 85mm f1.2 - £599.

That last one doesn't interest me but the others all look nice especially that 35mm f2.8 but I have one already.

I have a Novoflex adapter for my FD's and they all work nicely and in fact I was using a 24mm Miranda in FD and a 50mm f1.4 this morning. I wont say they're up to modern lens standards but they're nice lenses.

Just in case anyone is interested LCE have the following Canon FD lenses...

28mm f2.8 - £49.99.
35mm f2.8 - £59.99.
50mm f1.8 breech lock - £39.99.
50mm f3.5 macro - £79.99.
100mm f2.8 - £89.99.

They also have a 85mm f1.2 - £599.

That last one doesn't interest me but the others all look nice especially that 35mm f2.8 but I have one already.

I have a Novoflex adapter for my FD's and they all work nicely and in fact I was using a 24mm Miranda in FD and a 50mm f1.4 this morning. I wont say they're up to modern lens standards but they're nice lenses.
100mm is tempting. Wondering if they have a 200mm one?

Back