The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What wide is recommended? The Sony guide has the below settings recommended for Equestrian:

14. Canoeing, Equestrian events
Recommended settings

Focus Area Flexible Spot: M or Expand Flexible Spot
AF Track Sens 2
In sports where competitors have to avoid obstacles, set AF Tracking Sensitivity to 2 for stable tracking.

Be interested to view some vids from some pro users - any recommendations?

The focus area as being set to wide. I haven’t found any specifics though for certain tasks as you list, have you a link?

At the moment your AF 35mm choices are compact f2.8's or big fat and expensive f1.4's. If f2.8 isn't enough and f1.4's are a bit big and expensive that could push you more towards 50mm.

Yes that was my thinking :)

Yes that was my thinking :)

And I suppose it again depends on what you take pictures of. If your low light subject doesn't move and if you're happy to MF there could be cheaper options such as a manual 35mm that's faster than f2.8 or a manual 50mm f1.4.

The 28-70 & 24 & 50 is a lot of cross over- would you need them all? The 35mm Samyang 2.8 would be a good alternative to look at too and good for tha majority of situations.
I must say as much as it's recommended and as much as I want to like the 35mm it doesn't do it for me, either to wide or not wide enough. The 24 and 50mm are my choices for focal lenghts in that segment

I think its highly likely its out of his price range and overkill for his requirements.

As I said a little bit of saving will get me too a A73 - I have a 1k put aside and could sell my current gear which will get me about £500 - I would have to buy grey import unless A73 prices come down anytime soon !

As I said a little bit of saving will get me too a A73 - I have a 1k put aside and could sell my current gear which will get me about £500 - I would have to buy grey import unless A73 prices come down anytime soon !

He's talking about the A7R MK3 as an option against what I suggested, the A7R Mk2.

And I suppose it again depends on what you take pictures of. If your low light subject doesn't move and if you're happy to MF there could be cheaper options such as a manual 35mm that's faster than f2.8 or a manual 50mm f1.4.

The agony of choice to quote Blackadder :)

I haven't even thought about m/f or legacy lenses...

On the whole though I'm not keen on m/f...

Would you mind explaining why ? :)

You don't need the advanced AF of the A7iii, the sensor of the R2 which includes more megapixels (and better AF) is better than the A7ii. The A7Rmk2 also sits in the middle price wise so you can save a few quid there.

Last edited:
You don't need the advanced AF of the A7iii, the sensor of the R2 which includes more megapixels (and better AF) is better than the A7ii. The A7Rmk2 also sits in the middle price wise so you can save a few quid there.

Thanks you have a good point there - quick look at reviews backs up what you are saying....

How much of an issue is file size ?

The agony of choice to quote Blackadder :)

I haven't even thought about m/f or legacy lenses...

On the whole though I'm not keen on m/f...

A compact and reasonably priced 35mm f1.8 would make things easier and is such a sensible thing it does make me wonder why Sony haven't done one yet. I think Sigma could be more likely. I hope we get one from someone one day but at the moment a compact f2.8 or a big f1.4 are the only 35mm AF choices.

Not an issue, memory is cheap (128gb is like 25 quid), you can also shoot compressed raw or jpg.

Hum that's true - was also wondering how my 6 year old iMac would manage - however, looking at my hard drive I have 729gb available from 1TB so should be fine.

Appreciate your help - the A7rii looks a really good option :)

Hum that's true - was also wondering how mow 6 year old iMac would manage - however, looking at my hard drive I have 729gb available from 1TB so should be fine.

Appreciate your help - the A7rii looks a really good option :)

External storage is again cheap, 3.5" 2TB USB 3 is only £60. Its a nice camera, sensor is fantastic.

A compact and reasonably priced 35mm f1.8 would make things easier and is such a sensible thing it does make me wonder why Sony haven't done one yet. I think Sigma could be more likely. I hope we get one from someone one day but at the moment a compact f2.8 or a big f1.4 are the only 35mm AF choices.

i have doubts Sigma would release a compact and lightweight anything going by the other glass released this year.

i have doubts Sigma would release a compact and lightweight anything going by the other glass released this year.

They've tended to head for the top end of the f1.4 market but didn't he (Mr Sigma) recently say that CSC users value compactness more than sharpness and this has given him something to think about? Or something like that.

Maybe I'm just hoping... but it's annoying that we still haven't got one when it's arguably a staple basic lens.

If we get one from Sony pleeeeease let them not use the crappy hunting focus system they're used in some of their cheaper lenses.

Last edited:
They've tended to head for the top end of the f1.4 market but didn't he (Mr Sigma) recently say that CSC users value compactness more than sharpness and this has given him something to think about? Or something like that.

Maybe I'm just hoping... but it's annoying that we still haven't got one when it's arguably a staple basic lens.

i hadn't read that. they may be onto something if they put some focus on quality optics for the apsc line too.

So true! It would sell like hotcakes!

Sigmas APSC line up is excellent. Have you looked at it?

ive heard good things about their latest stuff (16mm & 56) but very mixed about the earlier stuff. personally find the sony apsc cameras horrible to use to don't pay mega attention to them.

ive heard good things about their latest stuff (16mm & 56) but very mixed about the earlier stuff. personally find the sony apsc cameras horrible to use to don't pay mega attention to them.

All of the Sigma (E mount) APSC lenses are rated pretty highly. Especially the new DNs (16/30/56), the older stuff is very sharp and very cheap.

The 30mm f/1.4 and 60mm f/2.8 Sigmas on Sony APSC are absolute stunners, amazing for the money.

Sony A7iii 4K vs the rest, Fuji and BMPCC dodgy ISO, Nikons skin tones LOL, Canon noisy.

SKIP to 4:45.

Last edited:
Sony A7iii 4K vs the rest, Fuji and BMPCC dodgy ISO, Nikons skin tones LOL, Canon noisy.

SKIP to 4:45.

Why no GH5s I wonder? It's the only one that can compete with the 7III for video - also wtf with the green skin on that Nikon! :eek::puke:

If we get one from Sony pleeeeease let them not use the crappy hunting focus system they're used in some of their cheaper lenses.

I think there may be issues designing a light weight small 35mm f/1.8 for E-Mount.

It’s odd that that they didn’t try to do it instead of the f/2.8 version.

I have a feeling based on nothing at all that a 35mm f/1.8 wouldn’t be that much smaller than the f/1.4 versions which is why there hasn’t been one introduced already.

Interesting, going by the comments from users of both low light is the only dept the Sony beats it though. I don't really do video, but I wonder how many videographers actually shoot at 50K ISO!

Theres a stop difference in light at lower ISO, to achieve the same exposure you'll be adding a stop on top of the GH5s even at low ISO to match the Sonys exposure, its weird how it loses that stop loss at 20k. The noise creeps into the GH5s image at ISO20k though.

Quite a lot is my guess or there wouldn't be a market for the A7iii / A7S or other manufacturers FF models in terms of video. The GH5s is very good for video though, Panasonic are in general just need to sort out OSPDAF.

Last edited:
Back