The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Theres a stop difference in light at lower ISO, to achieve the same exposure you'll be adding a stop on top of the GH5s even at low ISO to match the Sonys exposure, its weird how it loses that stop loss at 20k. The noise creeps into the GH5s image at ISO20k though.

Quite a lot is my guess or there wouldn't be a market for the A7iii / A7S or other manufacturers FF models in terms of video. The GH5s is very good for video though, Panasonic are in general just need to sort out OSPDAF.

No denying the A7III is a bit of a powerhouse all-round.

The Ryker relaxing with a coffee and pastry.

ZToWsJ7.jpg

I think there may be issues designing a light weight small 35mm f/1.8 for E-Mount.

It’s odd that that they didn’t try to do it instead of the f/2.8 version.

I have a feeling based on nothing at all that a 35mm f/1.8 wouldn’t be that much smaller than the f/1.4 versions which is why there hasn’t been one introduced already.

The 55mm f1.8 is excellent and quite compact and they managed a 28mm f2 too so maybe it'd be possible to do a quite compact 35mm f1.8 if they wanted to. And of course there are some in DSLR land.

Dunno why no one has done one to date but looking at what has been possible within the Sony eco system and outside it can't be impossible.

Last edited:
The 55mm f1.8 is excellent and quite compact and they managed a 28mm f2 too so maybe it'd be possible to do a quite compact 35mm f1.8 if they wanted to. And of course there are some in DSLR land.

Dunno why no one has done one to date but looking at what has been possible within the Sony eco system and outside it can't be impossible.

Big difference between a 50-55mm lens than everything else it’s far and away the easiest focal length for lens manufacturers to make. The 28mm is absolute gash and is an f/2 lens again they made a choice to not make it a f/1.8 lens.

They could easily make a 35mm f/1.8 I just think that they don’t see it as a viable option as they can’t make it small enough due to the limitations of E-Mount. No point having it the same pusillanimous size as the f/1.4 options.

Last edited:
Big difference between a 50-55mm lens than everything else it’s far and away the easiest focal length for lens manufacturers to make. The 28mm is absolute gash and is an f/2 lens again they made a choice to not make it a f/1.8 lens.

They could easily make a 35mm f/1.8 I just think that they don’t see it as a viable option as they can’t make it small enough due to the limitations of E-Mount. No point having it the same pusillanimous size as the f/1.4 options.

I just don't buy any of that. I don't think I want to believe that making a compact 35mm f1.8 is impossible due to some limitation in the mount as if it is they've f****d up big time and I equally don't want to believe that a f1.8 needs to be approaching the size of the high end f1.4's as nothing we've seen to date seems to point that way. f1.8 lenses are generally smaller and lighter than f1.4's in just about any focal length I can think of. We have existing compact native mount MF f1.4 and f2 lenses and whilst adding AF may increase bulk and weight I just can't see it leading to the lens being the size of a Sony or Sigma f1.4. That just doesn't make sense to me.

As to why Sony haven't done one I can only guess. Recourses taken up doing other things? Pointing people towards the existing f2.8 or f1.4 lenses? Stupidity? Sigma seem to have been aiming at higher end f1.4's but if it's not impossible to do a compact 35mm f1.8 maybe they'll get around to it one day. If not and no one does one I may just give up one day and buy something else. Limiting my native lens line up will hopefully not make it too costly a move for me.

Last edited:
I just don't buy any of that. I don't think I want to believe that making a compact 35mm f1.8 is impossible due to some limitation in the mount as if it is they've f****d up big time and I equally don't want to believe that a f1.8 needs to be approaching the size of the high end f1.4's as nothing we've seen to date seems to point that way. f1.8 lenses are generally smaller and lighter than f1.4's in just about any focal length I can think of. We have existing compact native mount MF f1.4 and f2 lenses and whilst adding AF may increase bulk and weight I just can't see it leading to the lens being the size of a Sony or Sigma f1.4. That just doesn't make sense to me.

As to why Sony haven't done one I can only guess. Recourses taken up doing other things? Pointing people towards the existing f2.8 or f1.4 lenses? Stupidity? Sigma seem to have been aiming at higher end f1.4's but if it's not impossible to do a compact 35mm f1.8 maybe they'll get around to it one day. If not and no one does one I may just give up one day and buy something else. Limiting my native lens line up will hopefully not make it too costly a move for me.
But what about the flange length? are there any full-frame compact mirrorless 35mm 1.8 lens out there?

But what about the flange length? are there any full-frame compact mirrorless 35mm 1.8 lens out there?
I thought the shorter registration distance was suppose to help at wider FoV? Isn't that what we've been told?

As I said, I have a 35mm f1.4 that's compact, MF though and there's also a MF f2 that's also compact. Surely dropping that 35mm f1.4 to f1.8 and adding AF wouldn't make it the size of a Sony 35mm f1.4.

Lets wait and see as I bet if Sony never do one Nikon or Canon will.

Last edited:
I thought the shorter registration distance was suppose to help at wider FoV? Isn't that what we've been told?

As I said, I have a 35mm f1.4 that's compact, MF though and there's also a MF f2 that's also compact. Surely dropping that 35mm f1.4 to f1.8 and adding AF wouldn't make it the size of a Sony 35mm f1.4.

Lets wait and see as I bet if Sony never do one Nikon or Canon will.

There’s one dropping on the new canon mirrorless next month. 35mm f1.8 macro. Looks small and compact.

https://www.jessops.com/p/canon/rf-35mm-f-1-8-is-macro-stm-lens-159022

Last edited:
I think a small and light 35mm1.8 AF lens is achievable you only have to look at the size and weight difference between Sony's own 85mm 1.8 and 1.4 lenses to realise that
if Sony don't do it someone else will, my bet would be on Tamron.

I read a video guys blog the other night who was raving about the 28 f2 lens. How do you mean, gash? Still unsure what 24 to get. Might look at the 25 Batis but seems a lot of money for an occasional use lens for me, and f2.

Last edited:
I love how a lot of these reviewers are suddenly saying that 1 card slot is not a deal breaker and that the Z7 is suddenly good for action.

I’m sure these people get paid by the companies (some Sony reviews are no exception).

I read a video guys blog the other night who was raving about the 28 f2 lens. How do you mean, gash? Still unsure what 24 to get. Might look at the 25 Batis but seems a lot of money for an occasional use lens for me, and f2.

28 f2 seems to get a lot of love and hate!

It’s a shame that the 50mm is not just that little bit better and also didn’t extend during focus! The 28/50 combo is a good set up IMO!

I had the 28mm (a few copies) and didn't like the performance at all.

I love how a lot of these reviewers are suddenly saying that 1 card slot is not a deal breaker and that the Z7 is suddenly good for action.

I’m sure these people get paid by the companies (some Sony reviews are no exception).

That's how they get hits, slate it one minute, then praise it the next.

28 f2 seems to get a lot of love and hate!

It’s a shame that the 50mm is not just that little bit better and also didn’t extend during focus! The 28/50 combo is a good set up IMO!

I'm really pleasantly surprised with the 55 zeiss. There's nothing detrimental for me between 50mm and 55mm, son get used to that. But for such a small little lens, it's great.

I'm really pleasantly surprised with the 55 zeiss. There's nothing detrimental for me between 50mm and 55mm, son get used to that. But for such a small little lens, it's great.

Yeah the 55mm looks nice, but will take some saving for now haha!

It isn't really a zeiss though. Just uses zeiss coatings.

I also really like the 55mm, for personal work it is great just because the I.Q is pretty good and it is so small.

In terms of performance thought the Sigma Art 50mm is a much better lens but it's huge.

If I was using a 50mm for work I would have definitely got the Sigma Art 50mm instead.

The 55mm is excellent for what I use it for though. I have it paired up along with the 24mm G.M as my light weight travel kit.

I think a small and light 35mm1.8 AF lens is achievable you only have to look at the size and weight difference between Sony's own 85mm 1.8 and 1.4 lenses to realise that
Tamron did one for DSLR's and even with an adapter that lens or the similar Nikon or Canon would still be smaller than a Sony f1.4.

There’s one dropping on the new canon mirrorless next month. 35mm f1.8 macro. Looks small and compact.

https://www.jessops.com/p/canon/rf-35mm-f-1-8-is-macro-stm-lens-159022

I'll have a think as time goes by and the newer systems fill out. At the moment it's difficult to get time to myself to go out and take pictures and I can't say how long this situation will last. I've asked and asked for help, pleaded really, but the help I got amounted to half a day here and there and even that very quickly evaporated so in some ways it's pretty pointless spending anything on gear but then I think that when I do get time to go out and pursue my little hobby I might as well enjoy it with the kit I want to use so why not indulge myself... So at some point if for example Nikon offer a good enough body and nice 35 and 85mm f1.8's I'd have no problem buying but to save hassle and expense I'd much rather Sony or Sigma or Tamron got around to a nice Sony fit 35mm f1.8 so that I didn't have the hassle of selling all of my current native Sony stuff.

I was shocked when I got one. I used to think that I wouldn't ever want a better lens than the old (non Art) Sigma 50mm f1.4 but the Sony f1.8 is better than any 50mm I've used. I do notice the extra 5mm though. Actually the thinking I'd never want better also extends to 85mm as I loved the Sigma f1.4 but the Sony f1.8 is better, just not f1.4.

I'll have a think as time goes by and the newer systems fill out. At the moment it's difficult to get time to myself to go out and take pictures and I can't say how long this situation will last. I've asked and asked for help, pleaded really, but the help I got amounted to half a day here and there and even that very quickly evaporated so in some ways it's pretty pointless spending anything on gear but then I think that when I do get time to go out and pursue my little hobby I might as well enjoy it with the kit I want to use so why not indulge myself... So at some point if for example Nikon offer a good enough body and nice 35 and 85mm f1.8's I'd have no problem buying but to save hassle and expense I'd much rather Sony or Sigma or Tamron got around to a nice Sony fit 35mm f1.8 so that I didn't have the hassle of selling all of my current native Sony stuff.

They have had 5 years to make a compact 35 1.8, with some like I’ve 100 e mount full frame lenses available, you would of thought that if there was enough of a demand/ it was possible to make a suitable quality version they would of by now. Or at least said they are working on it lie tamron did with the 28-75, they announced it long before they actually let anyone test it etc.

At least everyone who moaned persistently about the lack of 35mm 1.8’s can now get the canon r mount version and cameras

They have had 5 years to make a compact 35 1.8, with some like I’ve 100 e mount full frame lenses available, you would of thought that if there was enough of a demand/ it was possible to make a suitable quality version they would of by now. Or at least said they are working on it lie tamron did with the 28-75, they announced it long before they actually let anyone test it etc.

At least everyone who moaned persistently about the lack of 35mm 1.8’s can now get the canon r mount version and cameras

I suppose it depends what the priorities are. Some people think that compact and reasonably priced 35 and 85mm f1.8's are basic staples of a good system whilst others would prefer a 50mm and others would prefer SOTA f1.4's. Some prefer zooms and of those some would prefer f4's and some f2.8's. I suppose it would be ideal if there was a set of lenses to suit everyone and the Sony system has filled out a lot to the point that we have most things now and indeed we have reasonably priced compact 50 and 85mm f1.8's, they just haven't so far given us a 35mm. I'm sure they could do one if they decided to. I just don't believe it's impossible due to some strange limitation of the mount... Stick an adapter on a Canikon DSLR f1.8 and it'd still be smaller than the Sony or Sigma f1.4's.

The glaring omissions for me are the 35mm f1.8, a longer macro (150mm?) and I'd add a 50mm macro to that little list, one with a decent focus system as the one I had was rubbish and went straight back.

PS.
Talking about glaring things the Nikon Whatsit has a max shutter speed of 1/2,000 with EFCS. I'd find that unacceptable as I don't want to go back to fitting and removing ND's because of shutter speed limitations. I hope they either cure the shutter shock or somehow get around that limitation. Given the choice of swapping my A7 and AF 35mm f2.8 or MF f1.4 for a Nikon with a compact 35mm f1.8, if they have one, and that limitation I'll keep the Sony gear and live with the lenses I have.

Last edited:
But I think there is a demand? I best if one came out it would out-sell a lot of other Sony glass. But maybe thats what the worry is, it stops sales of the bigger lenses.

I mean take Nikon, the 35mm f1.8g. I believe it out sells the 1.4g by a large margain.

But I think there is a demand? I best if one came out it would out-sell a lot of other Sony glass. But maybe thats what the worry is, it stops sales of the bigger lenses.

I mean take Nikon, the 35mm f1.8g. I believe it out sells the 1.4g by a large margain.

There isn't though not really.

For those that want a light weight 35mm there is the 35mm f/2.8. For those that want a high quality lens with excellent optics there is the 35mm f/1.4

Would seem a bit overkill to have a 3 different 35mm lenses, would only make sense if they where to discontinue the 35mm f/2.8.

They won't be able to make a 35mm f/1.8 which is smaller or lighter weight than the f/2.8 version or even an equivalent weight and size due to the restrictions of the mount.

Can't see it happening any time soon.

I suppose it depends what the priorities are. Some people think that compact and reasonably priced 35 and 85mm f1.8's are basic staples of a good system whilst others would prefer a 50mm and others would prefer SOTA f1.4's. Some prefer zooms and of those some would prefer f4's and some f2.8's. I suppose it would be ideal if there was a set of lenses to suit everyone and the Sony system has filled out a lot to the point that we have most things now and indeed we have reasonably priced compact 50 and 85mm f1.8's, they just haven't so far given us a 35mm. I'm sure they could do one if they decided to. I just don't believe it's impossible due to some strange limitation of the mount... Stick an adapter on a Canikon DSLR f1.8 and it'd still be smaller than the Sony or Sigma f1.4's.

The glaring omissions for me are the 35mm f1.8, a longer macro (150mm?) and I'd add a 50mm macro to that little list, one with a decent focus system as the one I had was rubbish and went straight back.

PS.
Talking about glaring things the Nikon Whatsit has a max shutter speed of 1/2,000 with EFCS. I'd find that unacceptable as I don't want to go back to fitting and removing ND's because of shutter speed limitations. I hope they either cure the shutter shock or somehow get around that limitation. Given the choice of swapping my A7 and AF 35mm f2.8 or MF f1.4 for a Nikon with a compact 35mm f1.8, if they have one, and that limitation I'll keep the Sony gear and live with the lenses I have.

Why do you think EFCS over 1/2000 is such an amazing thing? Its not like the camera is limited to 1/2000 completely.

Why do you think EFCS over 1/2000 is such an amazing thing? Its not like the camera is limited to 1/2000 completely.

the above EFCS limit is the same with the fuji i think. personally not had an issue with shutter shock.
mechanical shutter maxes out ay 1/8000 and electronic 1/32000.

Back