The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is this with your 50 Ray?

Street food in Taipei.

C7vzMvk.jpg

qrx4ZZ4.jpg

I heard/read a while ago that Sony aren't willing to do a fast 35mm because of competing with it's own RX1 range with the 35/2 lens.

Whether that's true? Rumours? Hearsay...? Sort of makes sense though in a way.

So watching some videos on YouTube I have seen that some sports shooters choose to shoot in aperture priority then set a minimum shutter speed including a the Aussie Sony ambassador guy.

I have typically always shot in shutter or manual modes.

Any benefits to shooting in aperture over these, or is it more about what is most important to you?

So watching some videos on YouTube I have seen that some sports shooters choose to shoot in aperture priority then set a minimum shutter speed including a the Aussie Sony ambassador guy.

Any benefits to shooting in aperture over these, or is it more about what is most important to you?
I've decided to put neither mode in priority for the stuff I do most, namely wildlife.

I use manual and set the appropriate shutter speed most suitable for the physical movement of my subject and then use auto ISO. For static/semi-static birds or other wildlife I find I can set a shutter speed of 1/500th and for BIF etc. I set it to 1/2000th and assign each setting to M1 and M2. I am constrained to use the widest aperture I can because I shoot with the 100-400GM with the 1.4x tc which is always going to be F8 at full stretch.
I set the M3 option to a manual "sunny F8" setting also with auto ISO and then find it easy to adjust according to conditions.

It's the amazing capacity of the A7R3 to cope with high ISO that allows me to set a high maximum ISO of 12,800 and the ease of changing exposure compensation with a simple dial turn that makes me love this system.

Last edited:

I don’t shoot sports obviously but the theory I get. I guess the question needs to be: what benefit is there to locking down the exposure in manual? In many outdoor situations the light can change slightly and so aperture or shutter priority makes sense. But where light is constant (indoor ménage maybe in your circumstances?) then locking exposure is a means to an end. If you use manual to lock the aperture and shutter, but have iso set on auto, that wouldn’t be completely manual either. In a controlled environment manual can make sense, but I personally shoot aperture in most situations because you can react quicker.

I don’t shoot sports obviously but the theory I get. I guess the question needs to be: what benefit is there to locking down the exposure in manual? In many outdoor situations the light can change slightly and so aperture or shutter priority makes sense. But where light is constant (indoor ménage maybe in your circumstances?) then locking exposure is a means to an end. If you use manual to lock the aperture and shutter, but have iso set on auto, that wouldn’t be completely manual either. In a controlled environment manual can make sense, but I personally shoot aperture in most situations because you can react quicker.

The indoor ménage this weekend is a terrible one - the lights differ throughout and at one end they are more yellow and there is also a door the other end that emits a completly different light! Maybe I might try aperture this time!

The indoor ménage this weekend is a terrible one - the lights differ throughout and at one end they are more yellow and there is also a door the other end that emits a completly different light! Maybe I might try aperture this time!

tbh, I would put it in Manual, set max aperture, and the minimum shutter that you need, then Auto ISO.

Let the noise commence no matter what.

tbh, I would put it in Manual, set max aperture, and the minimum shutter that you need, then Auto ISO.

Let the noise commence no matter what.

Makes equal sense of course when you know min shutter and aperture, but technically is the same as using aperture with min shutter set and auto iso.

Try using the setting where the colours are all shades of the same colour - I think it’s called Mono

Seriously though it looks like a nightmare to get correct colours, good luck.

This is what I do, and works very well. Being able to set a minimum shutter speed and use auto iso has made things far easier. It really helps in variable conditions, so if for example the clouds part and I actually get some sun I don't end up with over exposed images if I don't react quick enough changing the shutter speed. Indoors though where this is unlikely to happen there probably isn't as much benefit and I'd probably be happy using shutter priority or semi-manual with auto iso. The cameras make it easier nowadays :)

I have decided on getting an A7rii for my first foray into FF.

Just got to decide whether to go 2nd hand or Grey import (don’t want to spark a debate on the ethics of grey import!)

If anyone sees one at a dealer please give me a shout ! Just missed out on one at Camera Jungle

Just got to decide whether to go 2nd hand or Grey import (don’t want to spark a debate on the ethics of grey import!)

If anyone sees one at a dealer please give me a shout ! Just missed out on one at Camera Jungle

Try LCE, they will often do a deal on used. I think you should wait till black Friday, you'll likely find the a7rii will go on offer or they may double the cashback or both.

I’ve got a 42mp itch o_O

Back