The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hmmm well, I'm not really for chillin for well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder.

All together now.... Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah....

PS.
The car was frozen earlier this evening and I have to be up at 6 and out... might get some frosty pictures :D

Last edited:
HgWE4p3.jpg
I much prefer a lot of your others,doesn’t do it for me .

The A73 is listed as 1/250 sync speed? But I have found that’s not quite right, 1/200 is correct imo.
Maybe so, i have an A7R though.

I'm starting to get the hang of the flash now, fixed ISO of about 200 or 400 made the most difference, then smaller aperture of at least 5.6 to 8. TTL works well then.

Maybe so, i have an A7R though.

I'm starting to get the hang of the flash now, fixed ISO of about 200 or 400 made the most difference, then smaller aperture of at least 5.6 to 8. TTL works well then.

That’s fair enough. As a general guide, iso 400/800 at f4 1/60 is a good starting point. Chimp the shutter for how much background ambient you want. 2 stops under and fill flash is normally the sweet spot.

I was going to start a new thread but think this fits here. Currently have an Olympus EM-10 and use with a 20mm prime and 14-150 Tamron zoom. Retirement coming up in four weeks and have decided to invest in some gear. Main interests are Landscape, Street and Macro and considering a Sony A7III (struggling to justify the R and don’t really think I need it), a Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma Art 35mm and Sony 90mm macro. Pretty sure this would keep me happy for a long time but any thoughts other recommendations. I do have a couple of Canon FD (50mm macro and 70-200mm zoom which I might try). Moving to FF frame as can’t always get the narrow depth of field with current set up and the hunting to focus of my current zoom gets on my nerves.
Be interested for people thoughts-thanks

I was going to start a new thread but think this fits here. Currently have an Olympus EM-10 and use with a 20mm prime and 14-150 Tamron zoom. Retirement coming up in four weeks and have decided to invest in some gear. Main interests are Landscape, Street and Macro and considering a Sony A7III (struggling to justify the R and don’t really think I need it), a Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma Art 35mm and Sony 90mm macro. Pretty sure this would keep me happy for a long time but any thoughts other recommendations. I do have a couple of Canon FD (50mm macro and 70-200mm zoom which I might try). Moving to FF frame as can’t always get the narrow depth of field with current set up and the hunting to focus of my current zoom gets on my nerves.

Great stuff.

I have MFT and a Sony A7 and I think they compliment each other. Will you be keeping the MFT gear?

I have a number of FD lenses but I also have a Sigma 50mm f2.8 in Minolta fit which I quite like and one advantage it has over a few of the other macro lenses of this sort of age is that it's a 1:1 macro rather than needing a tube like several others need. That may not be too important to you but I think it's worth thinking about if only because you don't have to mess on with tubes if going for a close up shot one minute and a long shot the next.

Looking at your requirements I would go with a wider prime than 35mm for your landscape photography maybe? In all honesty I would go with the A7III & the Tamron 28-75. It will let you do some good close focus work (though not 1:1 macro), and the 28mm wide end will give you an idea of where you want to go with a wide/landscape lens.

Great stuff.

I have MFT and a Sony A7 and I think they compliment each other. Will you be keeping the MFT gear?

I have a number of FD lenses but I also have a Sigma 50mm f2.8 in Minolta fit which I quite like and one advantage it has over a few of the other macro lenses of this sort of age is that it's a 1:1 macro rather than needing a tube like several others need. That may not be too important to you but I think it's worth thinking about if only because you don't have to mess on with tubes if going for a close up shot one minute and a long shot the next.

Not sure about the MFT yet (I also have an Oly45mm and Lumix 12-32) but may just keep the body and the 20mm and 45mm. Will give the FD50mm ago as it goes to 1:2 without the tube although still tempted by 90mm as don’t need to get as close to the subject.

Looking at your requirements I would go with a wider prime than 35mm for your landscape photography maybe? In all honesty I would go with the A7III & the Tamron 28-75. It will let you do some good close focus work (though not 1:1 macro), and the 28mm wide end will give you an idea of where you want to go with a wide/landscape lens.

Was thinking the 35mm for street photography but agree I might initially go with the zoom. Was really tempted by the Sony 24-79 2.8 but I just think it is too big for a walkabout lens.

Thanks for the comments

Still waiting for the body, but all the lenses and adapters have arrived at least :)
I’m currently the opposite. I’ve had the camera since Saturday as I waiting on completing a trade in with WEX before the lenses arrive. Have to say it’s the first time I’ve traded in gear with WEX and I’m impressed. They gave me a trade in quote, I accepted the trade in quote and they reserved me the lenses I was ordering so I could have the 10% cyber Monday Sony lens discount included in the order. Today I got a phone message and email to say on inspection the condition of my trade in was higher than they expected so they had increased their offer. Couple that with the Sony cashback offer that also applies and I’m very happy. They didn’t need to give me the 10% discount effectively 8 days after cyber Monday or increase their trade in value when they had already quoted a value I was happy with.

Surprisingly it worked out to be £432 cheaper at WEX than grey prices at Panamoz.

As I struggling to find some data on this I thought I would ask on here. What’s the performance of SanDisk extreme pro 95mb/s memory cards like trying to shift 42MP uncompressed (80MB) A7Riii RAW files like at 10 FPS? I’m just trying to work out if the very fast 300mb/s sony SD cards are required for slot 1 and worth the additional cost. Anyone got any links to any info websites. My go to website for this kind of info doesn’t have the A7Riii listed in the tested cameras.

As I struggling to find some data on this I thought I would ask on here. What’s the performance of SanDisk extreme pro 95mb/s memory cards like trying to shift 42MP uncompressed (80MB) A7Riii RAW files like at 10 FPS? I’m just trying to work out if the very fast 300mb/s sony SD cards are required for slot 1 and worth the additional cost. Anyone got any links to any info websites. My go to website for this kind of info doesn’t have the A7Riii listed in the tested cameras.

I strongly suggest shooting compressed RAW. You won't notice any difference in IQ.

Currently in my living room with low ambient lighting. Christmas Tree and a single table lamp. I can see perfectly well. I want to take a picture of Daughter and newest Granddaughter. I’m using off camera flash. I’ve metered for an exposure, ISO 200. F5.6. 1/125th. With my Fuji set to these settings the EVF is too dark to see my subject. Tried switching to Natural LiveView. A little better but not good enough.

Big question. Will the A7iii be any better, will I be able to see my subject. I know I can use a DSLR but would like to stick with Mirrorless. This is a big deal for me, I’m going to be taking a few shots like this over the next several weeks.

Any help appreciated.

I strongly suggest shooting compressed RAW. You won't notice any difference in IQ.
Thanks I will try that. I had a read of the manual, it seems compressed is a form of a lossy file type (ie some data is stripped out). Uncompressed keeps everything. There is definitely a big difference regarding the number of files the camera says can fit on a memory card depending on if you go for compressed or uncompressed.

Currently in my living room with low ambient lighting. Christmas Tree and a single table lamp. I can see perfectly well. I want to take a picture of Daughter and newest Granddaughter. I’m using off camera flash. I’ve metered for an exposure, ISO 200. F5.6. 1/125th. With my Fuji set to these settings the EVF is too dark to see my subject. Tried switching to Natural LiveView. A little better but not good enough.

Big question. Will the A7iii be any better, will I be able to see my subject. I know I can use a DSLR but would like to stick with Mirrorless. This is a big deal for me, I’m going to be taking a few shots like this over the next several weeks.

Any help appreciated.

There are a couple of settings for the evf, one with the exposure settings shown called "shutter effect on" and one without. With "on" selected in a dimly lit room with your settings I get a very dark evf but when "Off" is selected I see the room pretty much how my eyes see it but there's a price to pay as any movement of the camera or subject will lead to a jerky movement in the evf, with my A7 anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks I will try that. I had a read of the manual, it seems compressed is a form of a lossy file type (ie some data is stripped out). Uncompressed keeps everything. There is definitely a big difference regarding the number of files the camera says can fit on a memory card depending on if you go for compressed or uncompressed.

It is lossy compression but you don't lose much in terms of IQ. You'll only really have issues if want to push files beyond 5 stops which is really pushing things very close to if not past the dynamic range of the sensor.
Besides if you are shooting things under exposed by 5-6 stops at 10fps I think you have bigger problems than lossy compression. So basically/photographically it's a non-issue.

Also cRAW is 42mb vs. 84mb. So at 10 FPS you'd save a hell of a lot of space for no loss in IQ

It is lossy compression but you don't lose much in terms of IQ. You'll only really have issues if want to push files beyond 5 stops which is really pushing things very close to if not past the dynamic range of the sensor.
Besides if you are shooting things under exposed by 5-6 stops at 10fps I think you have bigger problems than lossy compression. So basically/photographically it's a non-issue.

Also cRAW is 42mb vs. 84mb. So at 10 FPS you'd save a hell of a lot of space for no loss in IQ
Thanks that’s really useful. I’m not use how often I will want to be shooting at 10 FPS, it’s great to know it’s there if needed.

Thanks that’s really useful. I’m not use how often I will want to be shooting at 10 FPS, it’s great to know it’s there if needed.

Tend to have mine toned right down on med or low as the thing goes off like a machine gun in H+ [emoji3]

There are a couple of settings for the evf, one with the exposure settings shown called "shutter effect on" and one without. With "on" selected in a dimly lit room with your settings I get a very dark evf but when "Off" is selected I see the room pretty much how my eyes see it but there's a price to pay as any movement of the camera or subject will lead to a jerky movement in the evf, with my A7 anyway.

Thanks Alan. Very helpful. Fuji seem to call shutter effect off Natural Live View. Seems that the Sony requires more investigation from me...bugger..

Any help appreciated.

Works great by turning live view display off. Use it for the studio work. So at typical ISO 100, f10 1/160 it’s a little noisy but perfectly fine to use.

Tend to have mine toned right down on med or low as the thing goes off like a machine gun in H+ [emoji3]
I’ve watched a few YouTube and it does seem to goes like a machine gun! I’m sure I will be using medium or low mode more often than high+. I’m looking forward to trying the silent shutter mode. Quite often I scare off wildlife because of the sound of the shutter. Being totally silent could be very useful.

Just tried those settings in my dim Christmas lit living room and registers black, but the EVF interpretation is very good with LV turned off [emoji106]

Thanks. Tried it on my Fuji. EVF is still black.

Thanks. Tried it on my Fuji. EVF is still black.

To be more precise, those settings are 7 stops under correct exposure for my room.

Does it not amplify the view in the same way, or just not as much latitude? That wouldn’t great for the studio use?

Last edited:
To be more precise, those settings are 7 stops under correct exposure for my room.

Does it not amplify the view in the same way, or just not as much latitude? That wouldn’t great for the studio use?

I can increase the brightness but still not good enough.

Er, nope [emoji20] I don’t read up enough..

In practice though, it’s above 1/1000. So, do you just have it turned off until you need it?

It's not a big enough difference for me to worry about. I rarely shoot at such a fast shutter speed especially at this time of the year. :D

Back