The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

From a few weeks back.

31533019787_db799cdc1b_z.jpg

45749367144_0b9b272746_z.jpg

45559779865_022e18409e_z.jpg

46472777501_62d9390b76_z.jpg

45749360594_ba0e0a0c06_z.jpg

45559776955_8bafd687c8_z.jpg

I thought someone on here will know the answer. I’ve been testing out the silent shutter for wildlife recently. I’ve read about bending of moving objects such as helicopter blades but thought it may be ok for wildlife. I’ve noticed some odd ‘brush stokes’ in the bokeh and I was wondering if it was a result of water movement and the silent shutter. The image below shows what I’m talking about at the top left.

34B7380C-CFDF-429D-B346-20027B1AB0F9.jpeg
It may just be water movement and reflected light.

I thought someone on here will know the answer. I’ve been testing out the silent shutter for wildlife recently. I’ve read about bending of moving objects such as helicopter blades but thought it may be ok for wildlife. I’ve noticed some odd ‘brush stokes’ in the bokeh and I was wondering if it was a result of water movement and the silent shutter. The image below shows what I’m talking about at the top left.

View attachment 141043
It may just be water movement and reflected light.
You get worse bokeh when shooting in electronic shutter mode

You get worse bokeh when shooting in electronic shutter mode
I had seen a review saying that. I have wondered if I would ever notice it unless the images were side by side like in the reviews. It’s the brush like strokes that seem a little weird. I was turning it on and off throughout the session so I’m now unsure if this was taken with the silent shutter or not.

I had seen a review saying that. I have wondered if I would ever notice it unless the images were side by side like in the reviews. It’s the brush like strokes that seem a little weird. I was turning it on and off throughout the session so I’m now unsure if this was taken with the silent shutter or not.

I think it's just caused by the movement of the water in the OOF area rather than shutter/silent shutter.

Love the wireless control via phone for light painting cars,only just started having a play at doing this but the A7III works a treat.

12 separate exposures all blended in photoshop and used an LED panel to light each one.

i-q8w99BZ-X2.jpg

Superb Glen. This is something I’ve always wanted to learn how to do.

Cheers,

Simon.

At the moment my 2 lenses for the A73 are the Sony 85mm f1.8 and the Samyang 35mm f2.8. I'm off to Venice in March and am thinking about getting a zoom lens for versatility/walkabout. I'm debating between the Tamron 28-75 and the Sony 24-105. I'm not particularly influenced by the faster aperture on the Tamron and the additional range of the 24-105 appeals. However, I'm more concerned about the IQ/sharpness between the two lenses. Any thoughts please?

At the moment my 2 lenses for the A73 are the Sony 85mm f1.8 and the Samyang 35mm f2.8. I'm off to Venice in March and am thinking about getting a zoom lens for versatility/walkabout. I'm debating between the Tamron 28-75 and the Sony 24-105. I'm not particularly influenced by the faster aperture on the Tamron and the additional range of the 24-105 appeals. However, I'm more concerned about the IQ/sharpness between the two lenses. Any thoughts please?

I can't compare both, as I have only the Tamron 28-75mm, but I am happy with my choice.
F2.8 is there when you need it.
No focus problems, including video.
Very good eye AF and relatively light choice.

I have a problem. I am on a location now and have shoots several days.
This morning as usual I changed the SD card with another one and the slot 1 stopped working proper anymore.
I am not able to secure/lock the SD card in slot 1(probably the spring?)
It works OK in slot 2, and I tried several different SD cards.
I wrote a message to the website I got the camera from, just I was wondering is anyone else had such issue?

I am having Sony cameras since 2015, Changed quite a few and never had such problem.

I have a problem. I am on a location now and have shoots several days.
This morning as usual I changed the SD card with another one and the slot 1 stopped working proper anymore.
I am not able to secure/lock the SD card in slot 1(probably the spring?)
It works OK in slot 2, and I tried several different SD cards.
I wrote a message to the website I got the camera from, just I was wondering is anyone else had such issue?.

I haven't, but I remember a few months ago, there were a couple of people that had the same problem in the Sony A73 Facebook group that I was in. Their cards would no longer "seat" in the slot as if the spring was broken. I've since left that group. However, they ended up having to send the cameras back to Sony for repair. Sorry that I can't link to the posts or be more helpful than that. I can confirm that it has happened before though.

I'd imagine IQ would be very similar between them both - They both sit at a similar level so I'd expect them both to be good performers.

Just the difficult bit of sorting in what order you rate aperture/focal range/size/weight/price ;)

I haven't, but I remember a few months ago, there were a couple of people that had the same problem in the Sony A73 Facebook group that I was in. Their cards would no longer "seat" in the slot as if the spring was broken. I've since left that group. However, they ended up having to send the cameras back to Sony for repair. Sorry that I can't link to the posts or be more helpful than that. I can confirm that it has happened before though.

Here's the Facebook group and a video showing the issue with slot one, but slot 2 working OK. I'm sorry, but I can't get the video outside of Facebook. If you join the group then you can see the video and how the discussion goes, including at least one other person that has the same issue... I hope that you get sorted out soon …

card slot by CFC Photo, on Flickr

I'd imagine IQ would be very similar between them both - They both sit at a similar level so I'd expect them both to be good performers.

Just the difficult bit of sorting in what order you rate aperture/focal range/size/weight/price ;)

Cheers Lee. Yep, that's the decision. One minute I think that the smaller, lighter, faster Tamron is what I need... then I think that the wider FL would be more useful, particularly as I have faster primes if needed. Then there's the £400 price difference ….

Have you got anything wider than 28mm Barry?

Yep.

Full line up at the moment will be

Zooms:
Sony 16-35 f4
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Sony 70-200 f4

Primes:
Samyang 24mm f2.8
Samyang 35mm f2.8
Sigma 35mm f1.4
Sony 55mm F1.8
Sony 85mm f1.8
Canon fd135mm f2.5

Yep.

Full line up at the moment will be

Zooms:
Sony 16-35 f4
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Sony 70-200 f4

Primes:
Samyang 24mm f2.8
Samyang 35mm f2.8
Sigma 35mm f1.4
Sony 55mm F1.8
Sony 85mm f1.8
Canon fd135mm f2.5

:eek: Er … yep! Pretty comprehensive line-up! :D

Close the purse … and stick a lock on it! :D

Are you trying to keep out of double figures? You couldn't get much closer ;) :)

Only made it to 9 because I included an FD Canon lens (which does get used) did't include the other manual lenses :ROFLMAO: At least one of the Samyangs will probably go soon though.

Only made it to 9 because I included an FD Canon lens (which does get used) did't include the other manual lenses :ROFLMAO: At least one of the Samyangs will probably go soon though.

I don't count some of my lenses. Mainly because they are Yashica C/Y mount so they group in with my Yashica FX3 not my Sony huddle :) :ROFLMAO:

Actually, I probably have just as many C/Y mount lenses as I do Sony E :LOL: :LOL:

Here's the Facebook group and a video showing the issue with slot one, but slot 2 working OK. I'm sorry, but I can't get the video outside of Facebook. If you join the group then you can see the video and how the discussion goes, including at least one other person that has the same issue... I hope that you get sorted out soon …

card slot by CFC Photo, on Flickr
Many things are missed here that are included in those groups!

Back