The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you aren't desperate for the cash, then just sit on it for a while - not literally ;) A couple of months will give you plenty of time to see if the 100-400mm is all you need on the very long end. It certainly seems a popular & well spoken about lens. And I think I've seen the 70-200mm go for £800-900 which is a good chunk of the 100-400mm cost ;)
I’m not in any rush to sell it so that’s what I will most likely do. It’s always good to be able to rest them out together but I do wonder if as time goes on it’s harder to let it go. Im more wildlife than landscape so that has to be considered too. I’m interested in others have come to this concussion.

Out for a few photo's tonight around my home town. All taken with A7 III & old Prakticar 28mm f/2.8DSC06075 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Love the sunstars! :)

By the way - Happy New year everyone!

P.S. Totally agree about the train prices, here in UK.
Especially if you need to buy for a trip next day...
I still remember several years ago - trip London - Newcastle and a few hours back Newcastle - London - £251
Small old car - much much better option. And cheaper.

Last edited:
Is that taken from St Catherine’s Island? Every time I’ve visited Tenby the island has been closed. Always wanted to hav3 a look around there :)

It is indeed. It's open most weekends weather and tide depending. They said there is a website from the previous owners that says its permanently closed and they wont take the website down.
This is now the official page, https://www.facebook.com/StCatherinesIsland/

It is indeed. It's open most weekends weather and tide depending. They said there is a website from the previous owners that says its permanently closed and they wont take the website down.
This is now the official page, https://www.facebook.com/StCatherinesIsland/
That will probably be why I’ve not seen it open. I’ve had a look at that old website saying it’s closed. Thanks for the link.

Some from the last few days, as always with the Sony 85mm f/1.8, it's having to be an allrounder as it's my only FF Sony lenso_O

DSC03700 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04217-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04216 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04182 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04215 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04241-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC04641 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC03691 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Christ, this lens is quickly becoming something I want desperately!! Great shots, so sharp!!

Took the horses for a beach ride New Years Day which was more challenging than I thought Photography wise with sky/sea and dark coloured horses.

Still, again the camera was pretty faultless and now getting to grips with the focus system properly and what settings work for me. 2nd time in a row with 200+ pics and all in focus lol.

I'm sure this has come up 1000 times but any recommendations for a7III batteries? I probably only need one so might break with tradition and get a genuine Sony, most third party battery reviews on Amazon seem to suggest issues and they aren't hat cheap anyway.

I'm sure this has come up 1000 times but any recommendations for a7III batteries? I probably only need one so might break with tradition and get a genuine Sony, most third party battery reviews on Amazon seem to suggest issues and they aren't hat cheap anyway.

Bristol Cameras for genuine. Cheapest around or we’re when I ordered.

Not sure which third party work without warning but it’s a bit of a minefield. I went genuine Sony as I couldn’t be bothered with the fuss!

Could well be from what i've seen online, defiantly worth the weeks wait. Although how long after they announce do they normally start shipping?

I don't think Sony have a consistent approach to shipping after announcements but I'm more interested in the value of the A6500 going down so I can pick one of those up :0) With the current £300 cashback until the end of Jan it would be good to see their price drop further before then.

I don't think Sony have a consistent approach to shipping after announcements but I'm more interested in the value of the A6500 going down so I can pick one of those up :0) With the current £300 cashback until the end of Jan it would be good to see their price drop further before then.
Ah sorry, thought you meant you wanted the newer model :p

Has anyone on here who owns Samyang lenses bought the Samyang lens station so that they can update the firmware ?

I have just bought a 24mm F2.8 and noticed that the formware is still on version 1.

Not sure I want to spend £50 on one though as I think my 35mm f2.8 is up to date !

Sorry another question :( My 100-400 arrived today, looks a nice lens and quite well built. I'm hoping to get out with it tomorrow to give it a good test. Hand holding wise it feels ok but I'm wondering if a battery grip would help balance it better as its a little front heavy. Does anyone use a battery grip on a A73, A7R3 or A9? I've noticed the official Sony one is over £300 so I'm wondering if anyone has any third party recommendations.

Sorry another question :( My 100-400 arrived today, looks a nice lens and quite well built. I'm hoping to get out with it tomorrow to give it a good test. Hand holding wise it feels ok but I'm wondering if a battery grip would help balance it better as its a little front heavy. Does anyone use a battery grip on a A73, A7R3 or A9? I've noticed the official Sony one is over £300 so I'm wondering if anyone has any third party recommendations.

Get the meike one off amazon.

Has anyone on here who owns Samyang lenses bought the Samyang lens station so that they can update the firmware ?

I have just bought a 24mm F2.8 and noticed that the formware is still on version 1.

Not sure I want to spend £50 on one though as I think my 35mm f2.8 is up to date !

As far as I know the 24mm is still on the first version. I had the lens station to update the firmware on the 35mm f1.4 on which it made a real noticeable to the AF performance.

Not initially, I am fully kitted out on Sony now. To swap they'd need to release something with better AF which no one has managed so far.
How much better do you need it ? I think it's another huge missed opportunity like the Canon and Nikon debacles.

On the subject of updating firmware I finally updated my A7 III this week as I got some new Sandisk SD's for Christmas that wouldn't work. Worked first time on my Macbook Pro (y)

I have the oem Sony grips but to be honest they are pretty awful value for money. Very poor build quality.

Only bought them as have always used grips with previous cameras. Have found that I actually prefer to use my A7III’s without grips.

I got two official battery grips. It's needed for the 100-400 imo

I have the oem Sony grips but to be honest they are pretty awful value for money. Very poor build quality.

Only bought them as have always used grips with previous cameras. Have found that I actually prefer to use my A7III’s without grips.
It would be good to see one in real life but there are no shops near me. Generally battery grips are seen to be poor value for money for what they are. The 24-105 and 70-200 f4 feel like they balance well on the A7RIII but the 100-400 feels like it could do with a little extra weight on the back and increased grip size. It does seem to be counterintuitive adding more weight to the camera when the camera is so small and light.

I got two official battery grips. It's needed for the 100-400 imo
Does it help the handling? I’m guessing it feels better especially with the longer grip. The additional battery could be very useful.

I’m looking forward to giving the 100-400 a run tomorrow. So far I’m impressed with the feel/handling. I like the smooth/tight option on the zoom ring, just wish there was a lock option too. I’ve very impressed on the closed size. It fits across a small F Stop ICU which is fantastic for me. Looking forward to smaller bags and less weight :)

Last edited:
It would be good to see one in real life but there are no shops near me. Generally battery grips are seen to be poor value for money for what they are. The 24-105 and 70-200 f4 feel like they balance well on the A7RIII but the 100-400 feels like it could do with a little extra weight on the back and increased grip size. It does seem to be counterintuitive adding more weight to the camera when the camera is so small and light.

Does it help the handling? I’m guessing it feels better especially with the longer grip. The additional battery could be very useful.

I’m looking forward to giving the 100-400 a run tomorrow. So far I’m impressed with the feel/handling. I like the smooth/tight option on the zoom ring, just wish there was a lock option too. I’ve very impressed on the closed size. It fits across a small F Stop ICU which is fantastic for me. Looking forward to smaller bags and less weight :)

I can only go by the previous grips I have had with my previous Nikon cameras. The Nikon and even third party grips for Nikon seem much better made than the Sony. I don’t use anything longer than a 70-200 though but didn’t find that it helped handling much. Much prefer to use them without where as with my Nikon stuff I always preferred to use them with grips.

I can only go by the previous grips I have had with my previous Nikon cameras. The Nikon and even third party grips for Nikon seem much better made than the Sony. I don’t use anything longer than a 70-200 though but didn’t find that it helped handling much. Much prefer to use them without where as with my Nikon stuff I always preferred to use them with grips.
Which 70-200 is that. The f2.8 or f4? I used to have one on a D750 which I liked as it was a good size/weight. I felt a grip on the D810 made the camera too big and heavy.

Last edited:

Yes the handling is far better with the grip. I even leave it on for just sigma 35mm prime :) 1536488597864.jpeg

Back