The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sorry another question :( My 100-400 arrived today, looks a nice lens and quite well built. I'm hoping to get out with it tomorrow to give it a good test. Hand holding wise it feels ok but I'm wondering if a battery grip would help balance it better as its a little front heavy. Does anyone use a battery grip on a A73, A7R3 or A9? I've noticed the official Sony one is over £300 so I'm wondering if anyone has any third party recommendations.
Many thanks for reminding me that I do actually have a Sony grip, I've just forgotten all about it! So my answer to you would be that I bought the grip for the very purpose you mention, I seem to remember that I found it useful, but the fact that I haven't used it for at least 6 months means that I can get along perfectly well without it. For what it's worth I don't have particularly big hands either and to make matters (slightly) worse I only use the 100-400 with the 1.4 tc.

I do have big hands and also have the 100-400 so was looking at a grip, but the sony price is too much for me. I notice too how much more expensive the meike version for sony is, compared to their nikon and canon copies

I do have big hands and also have the 100-400 so was looking at a grip, but the sony price is too much for me. I notice too how much more expensive the meike version for sony is, compared to their nikon and canon copies
They are very expensive, I agree. I actually use the extension grip and not a battery grip. Also stupid expensive but Jessops were so amazed I was actually buying some kit from them that they threw in the grip at a price I couldn't refuse! I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

They are very expensive, I agree. I actually use the extension grip and not a battery grip. Also stupid expensive but Jessops were so amazed I was actually buying some kit from them that they threw in the grip at a price I couldn't refuse! I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
I will look at the difference, thank you. I don’t need the extra battery, just the support.

**Boring bag question alert**

Can anyone recommend a camera bag (that doesn't look to camera bag ish ) for the following

A73
FE 28-70
Samyang 24mm f2.8 pancake
Samyang 35mm f2.8 pancake

+ Spare battery and iPhone 8+

I have a Domke F5 but its a tad small and not quite padded enough.

Can anyone recommend a camera bag (that doesn't look to camera bag ish ) for the following

A73
FE 28-70

F-stop guru with small icu unit

A73
FE 28-70

I’m a big fan of F Stop backpack. I’ve been using them for a number of years now. I tried shoulder bags but ended up with a sore shoulder from all the weight on one shoulder.

To me some of their ultra light range don’t scream camera bag. The USP of f stop are the different Interal Camera Units that let you vary what you take out without having to alter dividers around. You can also vary the ratio of camera kit to other gear too. It’s a case of slip one ICU out and another in. I have both the UL Guru and Lotus. I love the UL Guru. It’s a good size and great for around town, day trips or going light. The small and medium ICUs fit the Guru. The Lotus can fit the small, medium and large ICUs. The Lotus is from their mountain range so it’s more of an outdoors bag so it may stand out around town. Another good thing is you can use the bags without any ICU as just a normal bag. I’ve often used the Guru bag as an overnight bag with the next days clothes, iPad etc in it and the Lotus carrying the camera kit.

With my recent change to Sony I’ve found I can get all my kit (A7R3, 24-105, 70-200 and 100-400) into the Medium ICU. The small ICU can take 2 of the 3 lenses if I don’t need to take them all out with me. It can also take the 100-400 with the hood removed (hood is put in a separate section in the small ICU). Theoretically I would have had to change bags with my recent downsizing of kit but with the different sized ICUs I currently it’s let me rearrange how I use them and fit the Sony gear nicely without having too much spare space (I used to used the large and medium the most with Nikon, with the Sony kit I can see the small and medium being used the most with the large used for storage in the house). I do have to admit I still have their large bag the Sukha and XL pro ICU in the cupboard. I was keeping them until my Nikon 200-400 was sold as it was the only bag that could fit that lens attached to a camera. I need to put that up for sale on here as it would be far too big now I’ve downsized the long lens.

The only issue is getting hold of them in UK now paramo have stopped selling them. alpinetrek is a good place to buy them online but they don’t always stock the full range. They aren’t the cheapest either, a bag plus a couple of ICUs can soon add up. The problem is to get the full benefit you need a bag and at least two different sized ICUs.

Last edited:

A73
FE 28-70

Tenba DNA 8 or 10

A73
FE 28-70

Tenba DNA 8 or 10

Pictures of some sony kit in the DNA8 in this archived sale thread,
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/tenba-messenger-dna8.675009/

thank for the replies - the Tenba messenger 8 looks ideal - shame I missed out on yours barrysprout !

thank for the replies - the Tenba messenger 8 looks ideal - shame I missed out on yours barrysprout !

Another fan of F-Stop bags, I have the Ajna along with a small ICU, which fits the body (A7Rii), FE 16-35 f4, FE55mm f1.8, FE85mm f1.8 and FE100-400 GM. Another suggestion (which I also have) is the Mindshift Rotation Panorama which fits the same minus the FE 100-400 GM in a waist pack which rotates around the waist for easy access. The benefit of both is the additional space in the top for coats, snacks etc.

A73
FE 28-70

If you don’t mind expensive I use a rather nice tenba cooper 13 slim. Love it!

Back