The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sorry another question :( My 100-400 arrived today, looks a nice lens and quite well built. I'm hoping to get out with it tomorrow to give it a good test. Hand holding wise it feels ok but I'm wondering if a battery grip would help balance it better as its a little front heavy. Does anyone use a battery grip on a A73, A7R3 or A9? I've noticed the official Sony one is over £300 so I'm wondering if anyone has any third party recommendations.

Bit late to reply but purchased this "Qumox" from Amazon recently complete with 2 batteries and charger
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FB991PH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Only paid £82 last month for that lot, seems fine to me, maybe buttons not quite as nice, but for the money can't argue

Anyone use a samyang 14mm on a A7III? any good?
I have used it on A7 and A77II. It's a very good lens for the price if you get a good copy. But it's huge with a lot of distortion.
If you can afford it go for the laowa 15mm f2 which is an overall better lens for Sony mirrorless

Just incase anyone is interested but hasn't noticed... there's a 55mm f1.8 in the for sale section.

Hi peeps!
Has anyone tried the Canon 70-300 L on the Sony a7iii with the sigma MC-11. Your thoughts on focusing, sharpness etc please.

I was actually looking at purchasing the sigma 100-400mm but have been offered the Canon at a good price so now not sure which way to go. Sony is over budget ☹

Many Thanks!

85mm f/1.8 continues to impress me (F/2.2 1/400s), taken today at High Damn, Lake District

DSC08276 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

It’s a lens I just don’t use enough unfortunately. Nice use of DoF, might be worth cloning out the lifering as it immediately caught my eye

Oh 100% on the bright red life-ring haha. It's not a keeper, but I do I love how the lens handled it so just thought I'd share.

Hi peeps!
Has anyone tried the Canon 70-300 L on the Sony a7iii with the sigma MC-11. Your thoughts on focusing, sharpness etc please.

I was actually looking at purchasing the sigma 100-400mm but have been offered the Canon at a good price so now not sure which way to go. Sony is over budget [emoji852]

Many Thanks!
A bit different but I used one with a A7R2 and matabones. Focus on was ok. The lens is very sharp. It was my favourite lens with Canon.

A bit different but I used one with a A7R2 and matabones. Focus on was ok. The lens is very sharp. It was my favourite lens with Canon.
Thank you for the reply.
Good to hear it's a sharp lens, that's more important than the focusing. I was sort of expecting the focus to be hit and miss so I'm happy with "OK"

If I was to purchase the Canon it will be used mainly for landscape photography so will be manually focused anyway.

Ones again thanks for the feedback.

Anyone got the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or Sport with MC-11 on a current Sony? What are your thoughts for wildlife etc?

Hi peeps!

I was actually looking at purchasing the sigma 100-400mm but have been offered the Canon at a good price so now not sure which way to go. Sony is over budget ☹

Many Thanks!

Can’t speak for focus but it’s meant to be a stunningly sharp lens, certainly on my list.

Anyone recommend a 3rd party charger for my batteries. Preferably one that's not going to burn my house down :p
?Had few RavPower bits that have been good.

But do they work with XT1 trigger like godox?

I've never had a problem mixing Godox and rebranded Neewer versions in the past so I'd buy with confidence.
In saying that I've not got this particular flash.

ETA they even do the rebranded XT1 trigger as well and I can't believe they would rewrite firmware for a rebranding.

Another edit to quote from the questions page:
Question:

Can my godox Xpro-s work with this flash?

Answer:

Yes it does, I asked the Neewer team the same question, and have since confirmed it firing it using the xpro-s

Steve P

· 22 September 2018

Last edited:
I've never had a problem mixing Godox and rebranded Neewer versions in the past so I'd buy with confidence.
In saying that I've not got this particular flash.

ETA they even do the rebranded XT1 trigger as well and I can't believe they would rewrite firmware for a rebranding.

Another edit to quote from the questions page:
Question:

Can my godox Xpro-s work with this flash?

Answer:

Yes it does, I asked the Neewer team the same question, and have since confirmed it firing it using the xpro-s

Steve P

· 22 September 2018

That's very very tempting...

Back