The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I need/want my very first flash, is this a great deal and something I should be looking at? Also what would I need to fire this off camera? (A7 III)

I need/want my very first flash, is this a great deal and something I should be looking at? Also what would I need to fire this off camera? (A7 III)

It's a great buy for what it is. I use my Godox version on camera for fill as it's small enough to pop in any bag I may have.
For off camera flash I would personally be looking at one of the bigger Godox flashes (at the moment I use a couple of AD200's)

If you are happy using manual flash then the Godox TT600S will give you a bit more power.
If you want to have TTL then the Godox TT685S.
If you want to have less hassle with battery charging the V860 II S
and after that you are up to the AD200's with more power again , bigger battery and interchangeable head.

For a trigger, either the X1T-S or my preference the Xpro S.
Or an alternative to the trigger is to buy the flash on offer which can then be used as a trigger for any of the other Godox flashes.

Last edited:
Sorry, my mistake. I was looking at the TT350 flash gun, but the price showing was actually for the optional trigger unit. Apologies.
It seems to be a common way to price on ebay these days. Bloody annoying when all it does is waste time looking for items.

Shot my first wedding with an a7III yesterday after a year of shooting with a7RIIs. Not covering any new ground here except to say that buffer aside, the a7RII always felt like my perfect wedding camera. However, the a7III is full of relatively subtle improvements that add up to a near faultless joy to use. The buffer is now a complete non-issue, the battery is obviously just a thing of beauty, and AF, particularly Eye AF, felt marginally better when light dropped.

Jumping between the a7III (with Sigma MC-11 and 35mm 1.4 Art) and a7RII (with MC-11 and 85mm 1.4 Art) wasn't an issue, certainly not enough to feel the need to pick up a second a7III, so it's fair to say I'm a very happy bunny with my kit bag.

Sony a7III, Sony a7RII, Sigma MC-11 x2, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art, Nissin Air Di700 and a FE 50mm 1.8 backup lens.

Nicely coincided with finding a new method to carry everything. With a pair of Peak Design Clutch CL-2s on the bodies I can get away with just a Domke F-5XB (with a Capture Clip on the strap) for a whole day of wedding shooting, which is a remarkably small set-up. The Domke just holds the flash, spare batteries and cards and some water.

Hi peeps!
Has anyone tried the Canon 70-300 L on the Sony a7iii with the sigma MC-11. Your thoughts on focusing, sharpness etc please.

I was actually looking at purchasing the sigma 100-400mm but have been offered the Canon at a good price so now not sure which way to go. Sony is over budget ☹

Many Thanks!

Just a quick update.

I hired a Canon 70-300 l from Castle Camera's and I was so impressed I'm buying this lens.

With the sigma MC11 the 70-300 is right up there with the sigma 35mm f1.4 art and 70-200mm f2.8 mkii on focusing speed, accuracy and sharpness.

Obviously if money wasn't a problem I'd be buying the Sony 100-400 but for a quarter of the price the Canon will do for now.

Edit

Just to add, the eye focus works brilliantly!

Last edited:
Shot my first wedding with an a7III yesterday after a year of shooting with a7RIIs.

I wish I had the free time to pursue my hobby and justify me buying an A7III but I haven't been out with a camera since Xmas eve and that was only a few shots while walking to the shops.

I wish I had the free time to pursue my hobby and justify me buying an A7III but I haven't been out with a camera since Xmas eve and that was only a few shots while walking to the shops.

I didnt use mine for about a month!

Shot my first wedding with an a7III yesterday after a year of shooting with a7RIIs. Not covering any new ground here except to say that buffer aside, the a7RII always felt like my perfect wedding camera. However, the a7III is full of relatively subtle improvements that add up to a near faultless joy to use. The buffer is now a complete non-issue, the battery is obviously just a thing of beauty, and AF, particularly Eye AF, felt marginally better when light dropped.

Jumping between the a7III (with Sigma MC-11 and 35mm 1.4 Art) and a7RII (with MC-11 and 85mm 1.4 Art) wasn't an issue, certainly not enough to feel the need to pick up a second a7III, so it's fair to say I'm a very happy bunny with my kit bag.

Sony a7III, Sony a7RII, Sigma MC-11 x2, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art, Nissin Air Di700 and a FE 50mm 1.8 backup lens.

Nicely coincided with finding a new method to carry everything. With a pair of Peak Design Clutch CL-2s on the bodies I can get away with just a Domke F-5XB (with a Capture Clip on the strap) for a whole day of wedding shooting, which is a remarkably small set-up. The Domke just holds the flash, spare batteries and cards and some water.

How you finding the 50?

How you finding the 50?

Much better than expected, AF is pretty decent and it's nice to have something small and light. Unfortunately the focal length is just too long for a walkaround for me, otherwise it would be my 'hobby' lens. I've said it many times but I'd be first in the queue for an FE 35mm 1.8. Love my Arts for work but not so much for days out with the kid.

It is just an insurance policy in my bag though in case a lens breaks down, I shoot entire weddings with just the 35/85, the FE50 could stand in for either in a worst case scenario.

Considering Sigma 24mm 1.4 ART. Anyone have experience of using the native e-mount and the Canon adapted version?

I am going to buy an MC-11 anyway so wouldn't mind saving a bit of cash if the AF is very similar/the same.

Cheers

Considering Sigma 24mm 1.4 ART. Anyone have experience of using the native e-mount and the Canon adapted version?

I am going to buy an MC-11 anyway so wouldn't mind saving a bit of cash if the AF is very similar/the same.

Cheers

no experience with that particular lens but in general the native version AF is a fair amount better than the adapted version. there is a noticeable difference in AF especially for tracking.

Cheers

The 24mm is probably the weakest lens in there line up in terms of performance the 20mm is a better lens.

The 24mm is probably the weakest lens in there line up in terms of performance the 20mm is a better lens.

Cheers, might reconsider my options in that case. I wanted it to use as a fast 24mm on A7iii and fast-ish I 35mm on the a6300.

One option may be to get to 20mm (I want 20mm anyway and use it as a 30mm on the a6300. Then buy the Samyang 24mm 2.8 for ff as well.

Hmm!

Cheers, might reconsider my options in that case. I wanted it to use as a fast 24mm on A7iii and fast-ish I 35mm on the a6300.

One option may be to get to 20mm (I want 20mm anyway and use it as a 30mm on the a6300. Then buy the Samyang 24mm 2.8 for ff as well.

Hmm!

The 20mm is very good but has a bulbous front element and is very front heavy. Probably better to jump to the 24mm G.M. much better fit in terms of ergonomics on Sony.

The 20mm is very good but has a bulbous front element and is very front heavy. Probably better to jump to the 24mm G.M. much better fit in terms of ergonomics on Sony.

I had planned to go with the 24 art but not in a hurry so the 24 gm is rated so highly in all reviews that I’ll probably save for it.

Big firmware update on the way for the A9.

Real time eye-af
Real time tracking

and about 100 other things

Looks pretty epic to be honest!

Releasing in March & Summer, whatever that means.

A7III and A7RIII will be getting some of the updates.

Sony’s popular α7R III and α7 III full-frame cameras will both receive enhanced Real-time Eye AF performance with the upcoming firmware version 3.0. This will be available in AF-C mode with a simple half-press of the shutter button. Real-Time Eye AF for animals (i) will also be available.

The cameras will also receive interval recording functionality that will allow for simple creation of time-lapse movies (vii). The new feature can be set for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds, with a total number of shots from 1 to 9999. AE tracking sensitivity can also be adjusted to “High”, “Mid” or “Low” during interval recording, allowing for reduced changes in exposure over the shooting interval.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/sony-announces--9-camera-upgrade-through-major-firmware-updates/

Last edited:
Some people seem to have been saying that the A7III is close enough in some areas to the A9 and that the A9 is maybe not worth the extra… if that was the case does this firmware update go anywhere near making the A9 a more capable and attractive option despite and to justify the cost?

So pleased about the animal Eye AF coming to A7 III as this is something I really wanted and had been led to believe it was only coming to future releases and the A9.

Yeah, animal eyeAF be damned; I want seconds on my bloody clock!

Swapping eye is cool, but I'd love it if it had an option to swap person too. I often find it picks someone in the background when I use Eye AF when there are several people in the frame.

I'd also like:
14 bit lossless compressed RAW
Full-sized JPEG previews
double exposures
A way of quickly turning auto iso on and off
Make the REC button customisable. It would be ideal for EyeAF
Minimum shutter in Auto ISO should allow 1/3 stop increments.

Big firmware update on the way for the A9.

Real time eye-af
Real time tracking

and about 100 other things

Looks pretty epic to be honest!

Releasing in March & Summer, whatever that means.

A7III and A7RIII will be getting some of the updates.

Sony’s popular α7R III and α7 III full-frame cameras will both receive enhanced Real-time Eye AF performance with the upcoming firmware version 3.0. This will be available in AF-C mode with a simple half-press of the shutter button. Real-Time Eye AF for animals (i) will also be available.

The cameras will also receive interval recording functionality that will allow for simple creation of time-lapse movies (vii). The new feature can be set for anywhere between 1 and 60 seconds, with a total number of shots from 1 to 9999. AE tracking sensitivity can also be adjusted to “High”, “Mid” or “Low” during interval recording, allowing for reduced changes in exposure over the shooting interval.

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/sony-announces--9-camera-upgrade-through-major-firmware-updates/
Fuji style updates on Sony gear :cool::cool:

Animal eye-AF coming to a7iii.
So pleased about the animal Eye AF coming to A7 III as this is something I really wanted and had been led to believe it was only coming to future releases and the A9.
Animal eye AF would be an awesome update to the A7iii and A7Riii! If it works well it would potentially be amazing.

Back