The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Ok I guess I can live with a electronic shutter then, I take it thats how the A9 works then :)

All I've seen is that it will have a DSLR style body ie EVF on the central axis rather than the rangefinder style of the a6xxx bodies
I’ve been confused about this for a while as I’ve heard ‘zero blackout’ a few times but don’t really understand what it means. Could you explain please? (total newbie question )

So far I’ve used the A7r3 with both the mechanical shutter and silent shutter. Silent shutter seems great but it’s so weird as I can hardly tell when it’s taking photos. I’m finding I’m cutting short bursts as I don’t have the shutter sound to know it’s working (probably something I’m going to get used to),

I’ve been confused about this for a while as I’ve heard ‘zero blackout’ a few times but don’t really understand what it means. Could you explain please? (total newbie question )

So far I’ve used the A7r3 with both the mechanical shutter and silent shutter. Silent shutter seems great but it’s so weird as I can hardly tell when it’s taking photos. I’m finding I’m cutting short bursts as I don’t have the shutter sound to know it’s working (probably something I’m going to get used to),
If you look at the review video that the Northrop’s did on the a9 it shows it in action, basically unlike with a dslr that goes black momentarily between shots when shooting continuously, the a9 doesn’t go black in between

I have spoken to users of the contemporary version and there doesn't seem to be much difference in focusing ability, I owned the Sony 100-400 and was able to compare them side by side and although it is better on the sony I didn't find the difference that great, in fact I sold the Sony and and kept the Sigma because of the extra reach which I find more useful than the slightly better Af for my bird photography
I must add that when I mentioned latest firmware I was also referring to the Mc-11, I'm sorry Idid make that clear, and thank you to Laurence for reminding me about that.
Although I'm constantly tempted to sell my Sony 100-400GM and go for the Sigma 150-600C again none of the numbers add up for me. I use the Sony lens with the 1.4x tc and I'm very happy with the results. If I sold this to buy the Sigma I'd simply losing too much money all to get 40mm extra reach and a half stop gain, I'm not convinced about that.
When I first bought the A7RIII the Sigma lens/MC-11 combination simply wasn't up to it.
The Sony is much lighter and more compact. If someone had not invested in the Sony lens then I would recommend trying out the Sigma as it's much cheaper.

Although I'm constantly tempted to sell my Sony 100-400GM and go for the Sigma 150-600C again none of the numbers add up for me. I use the Sony lens with the 1.4x tc and I'm very happy with the results. If I sold this to buy the Sigma I'd simply losing too much money all to get 40mm extra reach and a half stop gain, I'm not convinced about that.
When I first bought the A7RIII the Sigma lens/MC-11 combination simply wasn't up to it.
The Sony is much lighter and more compact. If someone had not invested in the Sony lens then I would recommend trying out the Sigma as it's much cheaper.
I am not interested in 150-600 exactly for this reason. The 100-400 is lighter and very nice lens to use overall.
But the sigma 100-400mm is lighter and has a 67mm filter thread which matches all my other lenses

If you look at the review video that the Northrop’s did on the a9 it shows it in action, basically unlike with a dslr that goes black momentarily between shots when shooting continuously, the a9 doesn’t go black in between
Thanks, I’ve watched that now. It’s the black out and the shutter noise that makes me know I’ve taken photos! Am I right in thinking the A9 is the only camera with no blackout and there is some blackout with the A7r3 or A73?

A small rig L bracket arrived today. First thoughts are that’s its a little larger than I was expecting but it does provide extra room for the little finger. I was hoping for a little tighter fit to help align it before tightening. I think I’m going to add either some electrical tape or thin rubber/plastic between the L bracket and camera as it seems to be quite a lot of metal on metal contact. The removable side section is quite a nice feature, I can see me leaving that section off most of the time unless I’m going out to landscapes. It’s quite quick and easy to attach when needed.

Thanks, I’ve watched that now. It’s the black out and the shutter noise that makes me know I’ve taken photos! Am I right in thinking the A9 is the only camera with no blackout and there is some blackout with the A7r3 or A73?
The blackout is better for sports shooting

It would be useful for that and perhaps wildlife (guessing any sort of action). I think I would need some kind of noise at first to get used to no visual aid to show its taking photos. It’s weird after all these years now shooting in silence, but I can see it being useful.
There's visual aid mate

It would be useful for that and perhaps wildlife (guessing any sort of action). I think I would need some kind of noise at first to get used to no visual aid to show its taking photos. It’s weird after all these years now shooting in silence, but I can see it being useful.
I know what you mean about the noise, I’m still the same when I use the silent shutter.

You can turn on sounds on the A9 so you can here it taking shots!

No blackout on my A7R3 when shooting in high speed silent.

My A73 and A7R3 both have blackout at 10fps. 8fps it’s still there but not very noticible.

The A9 is just like watching a continuous video!

A9 shots look rather nice!
Loving the A9.

I noticed some banding when i was shooting under the flodlights during a training session.

I dont think it ruins the images though but i do notice the colour WB different when i shot a series of shots together which i believe is the banding?

Here are some shots from the training sessions

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-423.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-427.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-443.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-578.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-617.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-742.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

I used the 105mm sigma btw and it was absolutety brilliant for sports!!! not a slow AF lens AT ALL!!!!!

@Raymond Lin ;) get it!!!

Loving the A9.

I noticed some banding when i was shooting under the flodlights during a training session.

I dont think it ruins the images though but i do notice the colour WB different when i shot a series of shots together which i believe is the banding?

Here are some shots from the training sessions

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-423.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-427.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-443.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-578.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-617.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

GrassRoots-fcniva-training-a9-742.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

I used the 105mm sigma btw and it was absolutety brilliant for sports!!! not a slow AF lens AT ALL!!!!!

@Raymond Lin ;) get it!!!

I literally just have my 70-200 2.8 for everything lol!

Do you mind sharing the settings you used? All look nice and sharp.

We had a frosty morning here so I thought I'd see if there were any frosty trees to photograph, there weren't. I did get a shock as we normally walk to the shops down "The Lines" and pick raspberries and brambles on the nearby waste ground but today I found that it's been fenced off. We lost some ground recently when they built a new housing estate and sadly it looks like that's going to be extended... so we'll lose the waste ground and of course the raspberries and brambles :( We'll have to walk further up the hills to find some :(

Anyway, A7 and e mount Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 crops.

Sharp!

PmyKogv.jpg

Colour.

eZ2zT9w.jpg

The path through the area we're losing.

klEzTPO.jpg

7qNMtlU.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't been round much, hope you all had amazing Christmas and New Years.

Just a few randoms... Couple of my hidden face portraits thrown in for fun ;)

liking the timing on that last one. did it hit you in the chops?

Well, itch scratched.
Swapped Fuji XH-1 for A7III this lunch time.

Spent some time recently looking over old pics, and while there's nothing inherently wrong with the XH-1, the pics didn't excite me as much as my earlier photos (5D / 5DIII), so decided very unscientifically that it's down the the low light, wide open look.

My main reason for Sony over going back to Canon was I really do like Mirrorless, and the Eye AF is something I've always been a bit jealous off compared to the XH-1; it's useful for most of my pics.

Decided for the A73 over the A9 mainly for cost given I use single shot 99% of the time.

Just got the two lenses for the moment - the Sony 24-70 f/2.8 and the Sony 85 f/1.4 - both super big compared to the Fuji, but still a lot less to carry around in total.

Have to say, the shutter sounds like a huge car crash compared to the Fuji though!

Looking forward to playing with my new toy over the weekend.

Selling a Sony 16-35 Zeiss in the classifieds at a bargain price if anyone fancies it before it's sent to MPB.

Finally shot the fashion show which I felt I somewhat needed the A9's.

A 24-70 was too short to get a nice blurred background walking shot towards me
A 70-200 was too longer to capture their end of catwalk pose

Depending on the height of the person the end of catwalk pose (and those who stopped short) lingered around the 60-80mm mark.
And the ~half-way catwalk photo was about 180-200mm

So it was a case of swapping between cameras every few seconds to capture a walking down the catwalk and end pose, sometimes the next girl was already too close behind to capture the walk - but I did what I could when I could.

The A9 was always locking, following and capturing several images of the subject in the quick second I raise the camera to do so.

The quality of the photos is beautiful too, they look so damn good!

I had another photographer helping me who mostly use the A99 and from a quick preview, the A9 seemingly demolished it in AF and Image Quality

and of course buffer was king :D

Last edited:
Finally shot the fashion show which I felt I somewhat needed the A9's.

A 24-70 was too short to get a nice blurred background walking shot towards me
A 70-200 was too longer to capture their end of catwalk pose

Depending on the height of the person the end of catwalk pose (and those who stopped short) lingered around the 60-80mm mark.
And the ~half-way catwalk photo was about 180-200mm

So it was a case of swapping between cameras every few seconds to capture a walking down the catwalk and end pose, sometimes the next girl was already too close behind to capture the walk - but I did what I could when I could.

The A9 was always locking, following and capturing several images of the subject in the quick second I raise the camera to do so.

The quality of the photos is beautiful too, they look so damn good!

I had another photographer helping me who mostly use the A99 and from a quick preview, the A9 seemingly demolished it in AF and Image Quality

and of course buffer was king :D
What AF mode did you shoot in?

The upcoming Sony A9 firmware updates are pretty amazing, I never thought Sony would change their firmware approach but this is a welcomed update..... can’t wait to get it. :)

This years wish list is consisting of stuff for PP rather than camera. I want an A2 printer so I can display some of my images and create a few albums, maybe a new monitor the BenQ SW240 looks impressive. The only other thing may be an A7000 dependant on if one comes out and if the specs are as suggested.

Yea i saw. Brilliant game changing innit

So unfair. Sony are not playing by the rules - they're not even allowing Canikon time to catch a breath, let along to catch up... :(

Back