The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Those A9 improvements are very good. Making it more accurate than the D500 which is superb.

I have used it along with the 24mm ART. Bit big for my liking but it's super sharp from F1.4. decided to go with 24GM in the end. You only live once and all that :D

Had considered the 24GM but the 20mm sigma is wider and far less money and at least as sharp if not sharper.

The 24GM also isn't very good at 20mm LOL

Got myself the 20mm 1.4, anyone else here using it ?

No but I think I'd like one. I used to have a Sigma 20mm f1.8 and liked it very much but now I just have a couple of manual f3.5's, a 20mm and a 17mm.

And on the subject of nice things... I took some shots with a Canon FD 50mm f1.8 that I haven't used much and liked it very much. The minimum focus distance is nothing special and the FD f1.4 focuses closer but is noticeably bigger and heavier. They're both nice lenses though for very little money. I keep forgetting I have the native AF 55mm f1.8 :D

No but I think I'd like one. I used to have a Sigma 20mm f1.8 and liked it very much but now I just have a couple of manual f3.5's, a 20mm and a 17mm.

And on the subject of nice things... I took some shots with a Canon FD 50mm f1.8 that I haven't used much and liked it very much. The minimum focus distance is nothing special and the FD f1.4 focuses closer but is noticeably bigger and heavier. They're both nice lenses though for very little money. I keep forgetting I have the native AF 55mm f1.8 :D

Got a decent deal on the 20mm from wex. Was considering the 14 1.8 (too wide) and sigma 20/24, rarely use filters even with all my hopes of shooting landscapes lol. Liked the idea of being abit further away FL wise to my 35 1.4.

Got myself the 20mm 1.4, anyone else here using it ?

Had it for Nikon, superb lens one of my favourites. Used it a lot for getting ready photos at weddings. I really liked the 20mm focal length for this as it allowed you to show most of the room without the crazy distortion from wider lenses. I also found it useful during the ceremony for the same reason. For some time I switched from using a 35 & 85 to using a 20 & 50. That also gave us a good mix of focal lengths as my missus used the 35 & 85 instead.

I debated getting one myself for Sony or even having the mount changed on my Nikon copy. In the end though I got the 24mm G.M instead as I didn't like the handling, felt very top heavy on a Sony body.

I regret that a little as I don't use the 24mm G.M for weddings at all. It isn't wide enough or long enough for me so now it stays at home. I do use it for other things though and I kind of expected that the 24 wouldn't be a good fit for me for weddings before I bought it, I mainly got it for travelling.

Had it for Nikon, superb lens one of my favourites. Used it a lot for getting ready photos at weddings. I really liked the 20mm focal length for this as it allowed you to show most of the room without the crazy distortion from wider lenses. I also found it useful during the ceremony for the same reason. For some time I switched from using a 35 & 85 to using a 20 & 50. That also gave us a good mix of focal lengths as my missus used the 35 & 85 instead.

I debated getting one myself for Sony or even having the mount changed on my Nikon copy. In the end though I got the 24mm G.M instead as I didn't like the handling, felt very top heavy on a Sony body.

I regret that a little as I don't use the 24mm G.M for weddings at all. It isn't wide enough or long enough for me so now it stays at home. I do use it for other things though and I kind of expected that the 24 wouldn't be a good fit for me for weddings before I bought it, I mainly got it for travelling.

I like the idea of having abit of a different perspective. Will probably have to add another verticle grip for using it!

The 24GM looks tasty too man. We were at Lanzarote just there and I never took the camera out of the bag, used my phone for everything and the child's RX100III

I like the idea of having abit of a different perspective. Will probably have to add another verticle grip for using it!

The 24GM looks tasty too man. We were at Lanzarote just there and I never took the camera out of the bag, used my phone for everything and the child's RX100III

The missus went nuts a couple of years ago when we went to Florida and I shot a couple of models while we were there, so taking a camera on family hols is just not allowed any more. :LOL:

I have trips booked for Israel and Peru this year, the kids will be staying at home so will be bringing a camera for those. Think we are going to Croatia for family hols this year but haven't booked it yet and I probably won't even take a photo on my phone for that one.

The missus went nuts a couple of years ago when we went to Florida and I shot a couple of models while we were there, so taking a camera on family hols is just not allowed any more. :LOL:

I have trips booked for Israel and Peru this year, the kids will be staying at home so will be bringing a camera for those. Think we are going to Croatia for family hols this year but haven't booked it yet and I probably won't even take a photo on my phone for that one.

Class man, would love to travel more myself

Croatia is very photogenic. How come you wouldn't want to take photos? Has the photography day job made you fall out of love with the art?

The upcoming Sony A9 firmware updates are pretty amazing, I never thought Sony would change their firmware approach but this is a welcomed update..... can’t wait to get it. :)

It does make me re-think about an A9, but I'm not sure if it could have taken any better shots yesterday... but that still doesnt mean I can't think about it lol although I wish the EVF was that little bit better.

Last edited:
It does make me re-think about an A9, but I'm not sure if it could have taken any better shots yesterday... but that still doesnt mean I can't think about it lol although I wish the EVF was that little bit better.

Well, we can't be that far away from a A9 replacement, then you'll have the choice of an even better EVF or considerably cheaper used A9's and that's a pretty good problem to have.

Well, we can't be that far away from a A9 replacement, then you'll have the choice of an even better EVF or considerably cheaper used A9's and that's a pretty good problem to have.

I would've thought the new FW means they will stretch that out for (at least) another year. The competition cant even compete with Sonys current models on current FW.

Last edited:
I would've thought the new FW means they will stretch that out for (at least) another year. The competition cant even compete with Sonys current models on current FW.
welcome back...

and competition does compete fairly well tbh. AF tracking is not the be and all end all of things. The nikon Z6 does compete rather well with A7III and is better in many aspects like body build, touchscreen, EVF etc.

welcome back...

and competition does compete fairly well tbh. AF tracking is not the be all end all of things. The nikon Z6 does compete rather well with A7III and is better in many aspects like body build, touchscreen, EVF etc.

Im not fussed by AF tracking but I am about FPS and AFC and lenses.... and eye AF, battery life, 2 card slots. I remember, you liked the Z but you still haven't bought one... or have you?

Last edited:
Croatia is very photogenic. How come you wouldn't want to take photos? Has the photography day job made you fall out of love with the art?

Not at all, I have been to Dubrovanik and Kvarner Bay to take photographs already.

This time Croatia will just be a family holiday, won't have time to take photographs or lug a camera round. Will be too busy keeping our kids occupied.

Im not fussed by AF tracking but I am about FPS and AFC and lenses.... and eye AF. I remember, you liked the Z but you still haven't bought one... or have you?

nah, ended up going all in on Sony after the announcements from canikon was done.
Now my line up - 15mm/2, 24mmGM, 28-75mm/2.8, 85mm/1.8 and 100-400GM. Sorted for the time being :D

nah, ended up going all in on Sony after the announcements from canikon was done.
Now my line up - 15mm/2, 24mmGM, 28-75mm/2.8, 85mm/1.8 and 100-400GM. Sorted for the time being :D

So they weren't good enough in the end ;)

Nice setup, the 24mm interests me, Ive used a friends 100-400, its amazing, esp with the 1.4x TC.

I was actually thinking more like 1-2 years, probably a sign I'm getting old that 2 years seems like no time at all.

Even so this firmware update offers a lot of advantages for Sony, it further differentiates the A9 from the rest of their existing range and competition, the development carries over into future cameras too so I wouldn't have taken it purely as a sign they want to extend the lifespan of the A9 (although that may indeed be the case) and I would have thought Sony would be after a new flagship given how cheap the A9 is now.

Or have Sony got wind of a new EOS R-plus that raises the stakes on AF?

I was actually thinking more like 1-2 years, probably a sign I'm getting old that 2 years seems like no time at all.

Even so this firmware update offers a lot of advantages for Sony, it further differentiates the A9 from the rest of their existing range and competition, the development carries over into future cameras too so I wouldn't have taken it purely as a sign they want to extend the lifespan of the A9 (although that may indeed be the case) and I would have thought Sony would be after a new flagship given how cheap the A9 is now.

Im still glad I saved money and bough the A7iii instead of the A9, the new FW eye AF update is the killer feature for me, not the tracking. It makes more business sense to eek out everything from a current model and make some money before pushing a new camera when they don't need to (obviously working on it in the background).

Last edited:
So they weren't good enough in the end ;)

Nice setup, the 24mm interests me, Ive used a friends 100-400, its amazing, esp with the 1.4x TC.

There's too much missing for me to switch. Not to mention the costs involved. Its not worth it, I have already ridden the early adopter train once with Sony and its paid off fairly well. I am no keen on taking that ride again unless it makes a big worthwhile difference which it doesn't.

24GM is simply amazing. Probably the best well rounded piece of glass I have used - fast, small, sharp, great rendering both for landscape and portraits, great for astro, great build. it basically has and does it all!

Last edited:
My A73 and A7R3 both have blackout at 10fps. 8fps it’s still there but not very noticible.

The A9 is just like watching a continuous video!
Sorry to revisit this but I’ve rechecked my settings and I’ve found that when shooting in “continuous shooting H+” then there is no blackout, when shooting in Lo Medium or Hi then I get blackout. When I tested it earlier it was in Hi and not Hi+.

Sorry to revisit this but I’ve rechecked my settings and I’ve found that when shooting in “continuous shooting H+” then there is no blackout, when shooting in Lo Medium or Hi then I get blackout. When I tested it earlier it was in Hi and not Hi+.

As far as I know, the A7 III can give you live view with blackouts up to 8fps. At 10fps what you see is the last image taken so that might be the reason you think there is no blackout?

I get more blackout at H+ as it shows the image very briefly. I find tracking in H+ can be a bit jumpy.

The A9 is the only camera that does zero blackout.

Quick comparison here

View: https://youtu.be/J64YrfVjGsE

There's too much missing for me to switch. Not to mention the costs involved. Its not worth it, I have already ridden the early adopter train once with Sony and its paid off fairly well. I am no keen on taking that ride again unless it makes a big worthwhile difference which it doesn't.

24GM is simply amazing. Probably the best well rounded piece of glass I have used - fast, small, sharp, great rendering both for landscape and portraits, great for astro, great build. it basically has and does it all!
If I diddnt already have the 25mm batis I'd get the 24gm

Not worth the hassle. I can't even shift my 70-200 F2.8 canon so :(.

Only if I sell it for peanuts I guess

that's because no one wants to buy the canon junk :p
sony lenses are the new canon for sales, sells like hot chips :D

And believe me the 24GM is worth the hassle and every penny!

Well I’ve finally joined the Sony club with an A7iii and 24-70 f2.8 GM. I’m also after a 24mm f1.4 GM once stock is more readily available, but it the meantime I’m thinking of picking up a 28mm f2.8. It looks good on paper but will I be disappointed?

I’m also after a 70-200mm, either the f4 or f2.8. I’ve read the f2.8 is slow to focus. Is this true? I don’t really need the f2.8 but would like the sharper and faster focusing lens.

Just waiting for my RRS L-bracket to make it easier to hold. I’m finding the handling a little awkward but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The initial test shots are impressive. Can’t wait for a proper outing!

Well I’ve finally joined the Sony club with an A7iii and 24-70 f2.8 GM. I’m also after a 24mm f1.4 GM once stock is more readily available, but it the meantime I’m thinking of picking up a 28mm f2.8. It looks good on paper but will I be disappointed?

I’m also after a 70-200mm, either the f4 or f2.8. I’ve read the f2.8 is slow to focus. Is this true? I don’t really need the f2.8 but would like the sharper and faster focusing lens.

Just waiting for my RRS L-bracket to make it easier to hold. I’m finding the handling a little awkward but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The initial test shots are impressive. Can’t wait for a proper outing!

The 2.8 is definitely not slow to focus, it’s my go too lens. It’s fast and sharp. Build is excellent. I use 2.8 a lot so was a no brainer for me!

So you mean Sony 28mm f2? (The f2.8 version is an a-mount lens)

Yes sorry, the 28mm f2 lens. It’s early and my head hasn’t recovered from all the reading and thinking about lenses last night. [emoji4]

The 2.8 is definitely not slow to focus, it’s my go too lens. It’s fast and sharp. Build is excellent. I use 2.8 a lot so was a no brainer for me!

That’s good to know. I was hoping it wasn’t and make my decision easier between the two. Any experience of the f4 version?

Back