The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

That’s good to know. I was hoping it wasn’t and make my decision easier between the two. Any experience of the f4 version?

Afraid not, I jumped straight to the 2.8 as that’s what I always used on the D750.

Plenty of happy F4 users on here though!

That’s good to know. I was hoping it wasn’t and make my decision easier between the two. Any experience of the f4 version?

I've owned both and both are very sharp fast AF lenses. the IQ of the f2.8 is definitely a little better but you pay for it in money and size.

Anyone played with the Meike 50mm f1.7?

I get more blackout at H+ as it shows the image very briefly. I find tracking in H+ can be a bit jumpy.

The A9 is the only camera that does zero blackout.

Quick comparison here

View: https://youtu.be/J64YrfVjGsE
That example of the A7III was shot at Continuous Hi and not H+. I get blackout at Hi but at H+ there is no blackout on my A7Riii.

Last edited:
From what I remember about the 28mm f2 it has a lot of barrel distortion which is corrected in software. But that causes image degradation

But it's a cheap lens

That example of the A7III was shot at Continuous Hi and not H+. I get blackout at Hi but at H+ there is no blackout on my A7Riii.

I'm going to have to disagree. In H+ the previous image is shown briefly on the screen making it look like there is zero blackout.

But when you use H+ and track a moving subject you will see that its very jumpy and not live.

Zero blackout is just not physically possible on the A7RIII or A7III. At 8FPS I don't really find it any worse than the flip of a mirror on my D750.

I'm going to have to disagree. In H+ the previous image is shown briefly on the screen making it look like there is zero blackout.

But when you use H+ and track a moving subject you will see that its very jumpy and not live.

Zero blackout is just not physically possible on the A7RIII or A7III. At 8FPS I don't really find it any worse than the flip of a mirror on my D750.
I missed the bit about tracking a moving object, I'll have a go at that.
Edit: trying to get the dog to run across the garden, all he does he stand still and look at me!

Last edited:
I missed the bit about tracking a moving object, I'll have a go at that.
Edit: trying to get the dog to run across the garden, all he does he stand still and look at me!

:LOL:

As far as I know, the A7 III can give you live view with blackouts up to 8fps. At 10fps what you see is the last image taken so that might be the reason you think there is no blackout?
I've just seen this:
When shooting at 10fps / H+ mode, with the mechanical or electronic shutter, there’s no blackout, but you are looking at the last picture taken so there’s very minor lag. Reduce the speed to 8fps / H mode though and you can enjoy live feedback with minor blackout introduced to indicate the camera’s firing bursts.
https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-alpha-a7r-mark-iii-review/
That explains a lot.

After a wide lens for doing landscapes, is the 14mm Samyang AF any good?

If not what others are suggested?

Cheers

I bought and used both the FE and G.M 85mm lenses for a while.

I bought the f/1.8 as a stop gap while I decided between the Sigma Art and G.M f/1.4 lenses. The FE85 is an extremely good lens. It has very fast focusing for an 85mm, weighs next to nothing and in all was just a really easy and nice lens to use. It also has the button than can be remapped to eye a.f which is handy.

Later on I got the 85MM G.M after deciding that the Sigma Art was too cumbersome for my preference.

The FE85 is just as sharp as the G.M but the bokeh from it isn't as nice. I ended up selling the FE85 although I kind of regret doing so but it was hard to justify having both along with the 90mm Macro. I preferred both the FE85 and the G.M to previous Nikon fit 85mm lenses I have had before which included the 85mm f/1.8D, 85mm f/1.8G, 85mm f/1.4D, Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.4G. The Sony 85mm's are much better than the Nikon versions I have owned previously. Although the Z mount version might be great when it eventually arrives but I wouldn't expect to see that in the near future.

Between the 2 Sony 85mm's it is going to be a choice between the quicker a.f of the FE85 or the nicer bokeh of the G.M. The G.M probably isn't worth the additional cost but that is usually the case between f/1.8 & f/1.4 lenses. Then again the FE isn't much good at f/1.4. :)

Thanks for responding - it seems like I should bite the bullet and get the Sony with the FE 85mm 1.8 and see how it goes. If I feel the need for more speed or I'm not happy with the bokeh I can always sell it and get the 1.4 I suppose. Then if the Nikon 85mm Z comes out and it's the best lens ever I'll just cry for a few days and get over it :)

Anyone played with the Meike 50mm f1.7?

From what I've read a couple of things put me off... no DoF scale, f11 and f16 a bit close and just dots and I'm not sure how the clickless aperture ring would feel as with the camera to my eye I'd like to feel each setting click into place.

Price looks ok though but it would look better if it was f1.4 rather than f1.7. One area that legacy lenses may have an advantage in could be portability as you can take them away and with the right adapter use them on something else but these are just e mount.

Might be a better option than the 24 art.

I preferred the FL to be abit further away from the 35mm I mainly use

Bulbous element didnt matter as I have been threatening to shoot landscapes for years and it never happened lol

Its an interesting focal length, wide but not ridiculously so like a 14mm or 16mm

I preferred the FL to be abit further away from the 35mm I mainly use

Bulbous element didnt matter as I have been threatening to shoot landscapes for years and it never happened lol

Its an interesting focal length, wide but not ridiculously so like a 14mm or 16mm

I’m still toying with a wider option at some point. Don’t want to spend silly money but wasn’t wowed by the 24 art reviews. Quite like the idea of some wide nightscapes, but possibly just a fad of an idea. A 20 might bridge the gap?

I’m still toying with a wider option at some point. Don’t want to spend silly money but wasn’t wowed by the 24 art reviews. Quite like the idea of some wide nightscapes, but possibly just a fad of an idea. A 20 might bridge the gap?

Im gonna give it a workout at a wedding on Thursday. If tamron ever released a 70-200 Id pick one of them up next haha.

Was temped by a few manual wide lenses but this one I think ticks all the boxes for me. Will do well with video too, seen some spectacular footage with it !

After a wide lens for doing landscapes, is the 14mm Samyang AF any good?

If not what others are suggested?

Cheers

I got the manual focus version today. Won't get chance to try it for a couple of days.

Cant find an answer anywhere else - I moved from Canon 5dmk4 to Sony A7iii recently, Is it possible to zoom in on live view other than using manual focus? Canon went to 5x then 10x zoom. Want to use it mainly for stuff like focus stacking, and picking specific points in landscapes. #I know about the clear view zoom but that's not what I want. Thanks for any help!

Cant find an answer anywhere else - I moved from Canon 5dmk4 to Sony A7iii recently, Is it possible to zoom in on live view other than using manual focus? Canon went to 5x then 10x zoom. Want to use it mainly for stuff like focus stacking, and picking specific points in landscapes. #I know about the clear view zoom but that's not what I want. Thanks for any help!

If you look in the menu there’s an option to assign magnified view to a custom button. I haven’t got my camera in front of me to check which menu page but I’ve got one of the top plate custom buttons assigned to it and it does the same multi-zoom options as you’ve used on Canon.

If you look in the menu there’s an option to assign magnified view to a custom button. I haven’t got my camera in front of me to check which menu page but I’ve got one of the top plate custom buttons assigned to it and it does the same multi-zoom options as you’ve used on Canon.
Cheers Steve! Found it and set it up! been looking for this for weeks :) probably the only thing I don't like about Sony is the amount of menus in menus!!

Cheers Steve! Found it and set it up! been looking for this for weeks :) probably the only thing I don't like about Sony is the amount of menus in menus!!

I used to feel like that but once you've customised it to your liking you really never have to enter the Menu again with FN & My Menu configured.

Back