The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I used to feel like that but once you've customised it to your liking you really never have to enter the Menu again with FN & My Menu configured.
The personal customisation is quite impressive. With 12 customisable camera buttons and a further 12 in the fn menu you can get to settings quite easily without needing to go into the my menu (5 pages of my menu is also impressive). It also helps as Sony menus are otherwise quite extensive.

I’m starting to really like the control customisation as no two people want the same controls at hand quickly. It good to be able to choose what controls you and where.

Cheers Steve! Found it and set it up! been looking for this for weeks :) probably the only thing I don't like about Sony is the amount of menus in menus!!

The menu change in the new frmware is a welcome addition for those not familiar with the button layout. Showing an actual picture of each assignable buttton etc is a good thing.

Animal Eye AF looks good but I wonder what happens in my situation where there is a horse and a rider in the frame. Will it prioritise one over the other or will you have an option to tell the camera which eyes takes preference.

The personal customisation is quite impressive. With 12 customisable camera buttons and a further 12 in the fn menu you can get to settings quite easily without needing to go into the my menu (5 pages of my menu is also impressive). It also helps as Sony menus are otherwise quite extensive.

I’m starting to really like the control customisation as no two people want the same controls at hand quickly. It good to be able to choose what controls you and where.
TBH I rarely even need to go into the FN menu nowadays. I never really understood the complaints about bad Sony menus because you rarely ever dive into them.

TBH I rarely even need to go into the FN menu nowadays. I never really understood the complaints about bad Sony menus because you rarely ever dive into them.
In my case it feels like something to learn, I think the main problem was that I was with Nikon for 7 years and the menu layout didn’t chance that much from my first camera (D7000) to the last camera (D810) I had.

There are some abbreviations in the Sony menu that are difficult to understand. I do like the fun menu and the my menu. I shouldn’t need to go into the main bulk of menu pages with those set up.

Animal Eye AF looks good but I wonder what happens in my situation where there is a horse and a rider in the frame. Will it prioritise one over the other or will you have an option to tell the camera which eyes takes preference.
Hopefully you can flip the AF between eyes. I’m guessing it would be the same with a group of people or animals. I see animal eye AF as an extension of the existing eye AF rather than two separate systems. I guess we will find out in April.

I wonder if Tamron will bring over more lenses soon? 35/85, 70-200 etc.

I wonder if Tamron will bring over more lenses soon? 35/85, 70-200 etc.
Tamron do some really nice lenses now, my mate has the 35/1.8 and the latest macro lens on his Nikons, I think both would sell very well if Tamron were to make them available in Sony E mount, properly designed for mirrorless that is and not with a built in adaptor as with Sigma, I think they are the company most likely to do this judging by there success with the 28-75.

Probably at the price point where the £100 to rent is better gambled on buying, then lose the £100 selling if you don’t get on with it?

Buy off amazon and avail of the Consumer Contracts Regulation that allows you to return it within 14 days if you don't find it up to scratch. Shouldn't cost you anything except maybe the postage.

Buy off amazon and avail of the Consumer Contracts Regulation that allows you to return it within 14 days if you don't find it up to scratch. Shouldn't cost you anything except maybe the postage.
Except in the long run it'll cost you and everyone else. If you think returns are free, that's naive. The costs pushed to the consumers down the line.
There no such thing as a free lunch.

Except in the long run it'll cost you and everyone else. If you think returns are free, that's naive. The costs pushed to the consumers down the line.
There no such thing as a free lunch.
Not . Costs me nothing. I returned an item 11 month's after and was fine

Last edited:
It's good to see that Sony are pushing technology in the cameras but do we think in the next A series they address important things like weather sealing? I've hovered over the buy button a few times but just can not buy one without proper weather sealing. Surely adding weather sealing or better ergonomics will net them more sales, more than incremental technology upgrades.

It's good to see that Sony are pushing technology in the cameras but do we think in the next A series they address important things like weather sealing? I've hovered over the buy button a few times but just can not buy one without proper weather sealing. Surely adding weather sealing or better ergonomics will net them more sales, more than incremental technology upgrades.

Sony upgrades haven't been incremental since the a7ii, the gen 3 and a9 were a massive step up in every way. Extreme weather sealing is only important to a small market share, the success of these cameras and how they have turned Sony imaging around proves that.

Anyone here going to the Photography Show this year?

I wasn't going to until I saw that Pete Souza (Obama's WH Photographer) is doing a talk on Saturday, so there we go! Now I am going. :D

Would've liked to go to Lindsay Adler too on Monday but I got work.

So, I lost my A7III eyepiece today. No idea how or where. Any suggestions with what to replace it with? Official, non official - something better? :)

Anyone not interested in cheap old lenses? Then look away...

A7 with a Miranda 24mm f2.8 in Canon FD breachlock fit.

The beach was pretty quiet which was understandable as it was freezing.

zYdTM7d.jpg

y4p2x0d.jpg

f2.8 and just a bit longer than minimum focus distance.

jD6T6nl.jpg

"Take my picture."

sQF4oQi.jpg

It seems sharp enough over most of the frame, 100% crop from this folows...

zhGECqe.jpg

lrbFGXP.jpg

Its party trick is that it has a "macro" setting and it does focus quite a bit closer than an ordinary 24mm. Its weakness seems to be vignetting but it stays within the scope of my software, Adobe CS5. I have other 24mm f2.8 legacy lenses but this one has its charms which are mainly the close focusing ability and being cheap :D

Last edited:
Various sites are reporting price cuts on Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses. I don't know if these apply in the UK but anyone interested in these lenses can no doubt take a look.

Anyone here going to the Photography Show this year?

I wasn't going to until I saw that Pete Souza (Obama's WH Photographer) is doing a talk on Saturday, so there we go! Now I am going. :D

Would've liked to go to Lindsay Adler too on Monday but I got work.

I registered for my ticket yesterday, and received it today. I'm probably going on the Saturday too but hadn't seen that Souza was there so I'll definitely be getting a space on that. I'm currently talking with a few other analogue photographers about setting up a stand at next years' show for our products so should be catching up with the organisers this year to discuss it.

I've just been reading about the A6400 and I have a question... if anyone knows...

I see that the max shutter speed is 1/4,000 which would irritate me when using wide apertures in good light. I see that it can shoot silently so I assume this is with an electronic shutter? If it has an electronic shutter when using it are you still limited to 1/4,000?

With my Panasonic GX80 and GX9 the mechanical shutter only goes to 1/4,000 but when a faster speed is needed it automatically (if you've set it up to...) switches to the electronic shutter and goes to something like 1/16,000.

Don't the Sony's with silent shooting do this too?

Last edited:
wow look how good the weather sealing is on the sony

I've used my lowly A7 in any and all conditions including snow, pouring rain, the humidity of Thailand and blizzards on the beach at home with normal and sensible precautions and it's survived. I think I'd worry about being hit by a wave or dropping it into the sea but as long as those things don't happen I'd be reasonably confident it'd survive. I may just have been lucky though :D

Possibly one of my favourite non Mrs WW pictures (obviously the one with you in them are always the best, dear) from the last two weeks.

Just a simple picture, but I like it :D

A7 and e fit Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f8.

Cq5A3oO.jpg

It's lovely to have had a couple of days recently when there's been a real actual blue sky :D

Last edited:
I registered for my ticket yesterday, and received it today. I'm probably going on the Saturday too but hadn't seen that Souza was there so I'll definitely be getting a space on that. I'm currently talking with a few other analogue photographers about setting up a stand at next years' show for our products so should be catching up with the organisers this year to discuss it.

I got a pass for all 4 days, currently only planning on Saturday, but you never know!

I think you entirely missed my point!
Also who took a return after 11month!?

I think the point he is trying to make on returns is that when an item is returned, it either goes back to the manufacturer (if faulty), or into 'Amazon Warehouse' sales (if you just decide you don't actually want it).

The manufacturer will set it's price based on making a profit - return of failed items is a cost, so increases the manufacturers price (and hence the price everyone pays for the item).

Amazon will then add a margin to the manufacturers cost, so that they make a profit - if they have to accept a return, and sell at a discount via Warehouse, that is a cost to them, so they include a factor for such returns in their normal price - so again, the actual cost of returns is borne by the consumer in the general selling price.
If lots of people return a given item, the price will either go up, or Amazon will stop stocking it

I wouldn't purposely get my A7 III wet, but I have had a wave crash over me and soak everything and been caught in some pretty heavy showers and it's been fine.

Back