The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Lol. Well Tony's one says a different story
Likewise with you ignoring Tony's one? Hehe

I am not ignoring it. It's clear that while the camera has some weathersealing it could be better especially at the bottom from where the water can get it.
Other bodies like 5D4 or D850 don't have such issues.

I am not ignoring it. It's clear that while the camera has some weathersealing it could be better especially at the bottom from where the water can get it.
Other bodies like 5D4 or D850 don't have such issues.
They do. Tony's 5ds died on him. And someone from the camera store who is a seasonal canon user who was testing the 5d4 and A73. His 5d4 died shooting a rodeo lol on the same video

They do. Tony's 5ds died on him. And someone from the camera store who is a seasonal canon user who was testing the 5d4 and A73. His 5d4 died shooting a rodeo lol on the same video
I have seen the rodeo video. That just shows 5D4 is equally bad not that Sony is good.

You just said the 5d4 and d850 don't have an issue? Now you are saying the 5d4 is just as bad as Sony. Which is it?
I forgot about the 5D4 vs. A7III rodeo video. Sorry I don't remember every single video I watch on YouTube
I haven't come across anyone with such issues with D850.
Though the guy at the rodeo didn't really say why his 5D4 failed.
It's pretty clear from the teardown that A7III or A7RIII is not weathersealed at the bottom. There is no disputing that.

I forgot about the 5D4 vs. A7III rodeo video. Sorry I don't remember every single video I watch on YouTube
I haven't come across anyone with such issues with D850.
Though the guy at the rodeo didn't really say why his 5D4 failed.
It's pretty clear from the teardown that A7III or A7RIII is not weathersealed at the bottom. There is no disputing that.
Yes that's its weakness but everything else is fine and in a real world situation it is sufficient for getting it wet in the rain.

People with 1dx2 still use rain covers btw because none of them are waterproof

My A73 and 70-200 went out in the p***ing rain getting an absolute soaking and I was then standing in the middle of a cross country water jump up to my knees getting splashed to buggery by muddy water and it is all still working perfectly.

Real world test right there!

So you think Tonys test was hugely flawed? Didn't look like it.

well I can give explanations but that's not the point. The point is its indisputable that the bottom of the Sony bodies A7(R)III bodies are not sealed as per teardowns. This is room for improvement and something that sony should fix (in future iterations of course).

Or are against improvement here? because Sony makes perfect bodies with no supposedly "real world" issues

My A73 and 70-200 went out in the p***ing rain getting an absolute soaking and I was then standing in the middle of a cross country water jump up to my knees getting splashed to buggery by muddy water and it is all still working perfectly.

Real world test right there!

I posted pictures on this thread that was taken in the rain. So yeah I have real world tests too. but that's not the point.

well I can give explanations but that's not the point. The point is its indisputable that the bottom of the Sony bodies A7(R)III bodies are not sealed as per teardowns. This is room for improvement and something that sony should fix (in future iterations of course).

Or are against improvement here? because Sony makes perfect bodies with no supposedly "real world" issues

I posted pictures on this thread that was taken in the rain. So yeah I have real world tests too. but that's not the point.
That is the point. How does the camera hold when in the rain? I answer is its fine

Ice like in tony's video?

Of course we all welcome improvements but you bang on as if the sony explodes if you spit on it...

I think the point is, and why I asked about the next Gen Sonys earlier in the thread is that the Sony weather sealing is not good, not matter how you look at it it can not compete with the pro bodies from Nikon, Canon etc. It is a flaw in what is otherwise very good camera.

You said it is sufficient for getting it wet in the rain, you can get a £100 camera wet in the rain and it will be fine, leaving it in the rain and more importantly working with it in the rain, not so... that's the big difference.

I think the point is, and why I asked about the next Gen Sonys earlier in the thread is that the Sony weather sealing is not good, not matter how you look at it it can not compete with the pro bodies from Nikon, Canon etc. It is a flaw in what is otherwise very good camera.

You said it is sufficient for getting it wet in the rain, you can get a £100 camera wet in the rain and it will be fine, leaving it in the rain and more importantly working with it in the rain, not so... that's the big difference.
It is good. Else it will die if you use it in the rain.

Did you completely ignore every single post bar my initial response to this subject?

As proven countless times its fine in the rain and works in the rain

Last edited:
It is good. Else it will die if you use it in the rain.

Did you completely ignore every single post bar my initial response to this subject?

As proven countless times its fine in the rain and works in the rain

No just chose yours as it was the last....

And no it is not fine, I know enough landscape/wildlife photographers who have them and have had issues, not to the point that the camera has died or anything but to the point that they are not working correctly. Usually fine afterwards but who knows what damage it is slowly doing.

Don't even know how you can argue with it, they are NOT weather sealed, they should be and need to be in the next models. When they are I will buy one.

And no it is not fine, I know enough landscape/wildlife photographers who have them and have had issues, not to the point that the camera has died or anything but to the point that they are not working correctly. Usually fine afterwards but who knows what damage it is slowly doing.

Don't even know how you can argue with it, they are NOT weather sealed, they should be and need to be in the next models. When they are I will buy one.
Did you not read it's perfectly fine in rain so it MUST be weathersealed to perfection. In fact it's so good you can take it underwater without any housing because it can shoot in the rain and Tony made a video with ice.
Stop dissing Sony, it's perfect! No space for improvement whatsoever here.

I know various Sony landscape shooters and they have not had any issues on there Sony's.

I know one woman who shoots wildlife in safari in very dusty places and sometimes in the rain with her a7r3 and all fine.

Many here also said they have used there cameras fine and of course you ignored it.

The Sony cameras are fine in real world usage just like the Canons etc.

Did you not read it's perfectly fine in rain so it MUST be weathersealed to perfection. In fact it's so good you can take it underwater without any housing because it can shoot in the rain and Tony made a video with ice.
Stop dissing Sony, it's perfect! No space for improvement whatsoever here.
The sony is so bad for weather sealing thatba single bacteria in the atmosphere can kill the camera

If the Sony isn’t weather sealed and it does so well against the elements, imagine when they actually make it weather sealed.

I’m expecting it to be waterproof to at least 50m and withstand gale force 10 winds.

First time using my new Samyang 14mm f/2.8 today. Weather/light was crappy but it was my day off so was determined to get out and try it. Really enjoyed something different shooting with an ultrawide for the first time. Looking forward to experimenting with it much more. :)

DSC05174-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC05052-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC05084 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC05094 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC05114-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC05133-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone wanting to witness an old A7 in use in extreme conditions is welcome to walk from Marske to Redcar or Saltburn along the beach with me. I've done it in any and all weather. I've done it in weather I could hardly stand up in, once the wind blew my screen protecter off, I've used my camera in freezing conditions, pouring rain and snow and of course in Thailand. I lost another screen protector there.

These cameras aren't water proof and everyone will probably know that a weak point is the bottom of the camera so dropping or standing it in water or pouring water at the mount will probsbly kill them but apart from that in normal real world use mine has survived everything I've put it through.

Last edited:
Posted up some of our favourites from 2018 if anyone fancies a nosey. Mostly Sony A7III, about 25% Nikon D750: LINK

Best+wedding+photos+2018+011.JPG

Useful fact I learned today:

The a7III electronic shutter scan time is twice as fast when in 12 bit rather than 14 bit (1/30 instead of 1/15), ditto the a7RIII. That's a big difference and about as quick as it gets at the moment, a9 aside which is just in an entirely different league (1/160).

Back