The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

How long does Sony cash back usually take? Submitted a claim a month ago and heard absolutely nothing

I have had 3 payouts from the most recent cashback offer. All where paid very quickly and only took a few days.

How long does Sony cash back usually take? Submitted a claim a month ago and heard absolutely nothing
I submitted a claim on 17th January. I got a cashback registration confirmation email after I submitted it. I got an email about a week ago saying it was accepted and payment should be within 28 days. There was also a claim reference that you can check. You could email them to check it when through ok.

A couple from today, A7 and 85mm f1.8.

She wanted a picture with snow around here...

JgnWRk8.jpg

Her second ever snowman :D

oc0h3lo.jpg

The focus and face detect had problems with the falling snow but it got there :D I'm always impressed by how sharp this lens is and although I'd say the original Sigma 85mm f1.4 had better bokeh this lens is definitely sharper at wide apertures.

Last edited:
I was sold on the 24mm GM but now I'm thinking of a 35mm lens instead. This would be my go-to lens when I don't want to carry all my kit. It's needs to be versatile enough for indoor/low light, portrait and street photography.

At 24mm the choice is easy. But for 35mm there seems to be almost too much choice. I've got a budget of £1k but for some reason I keep getting drawn towards the Sigma 35mm ART FE mount. Any advice/recommendations?

I was sold on the 24mm GM but now I'm thinking of a 35mm lens instead. This would be my go-to lens when I don't want to carry all my kit. It's needs to be versatile enough for indoor/low light, portrait and street photography.

At 24mm the choice is easy. But for 35mm there seems to be almost too much choice. I've got a budget of £1k but for some reason I keep getting drawn towards the Sigma 35mm ART FE mount. Any advice/recommendations?
35mm art and call it a day

The 24GM is perfect in pretty much everyway. Small size, fast, sharp, great AF, great bokeh, great rendering, no coma, great build and ergonomic. I don't think I have come across any lens that's this good on the whole. You won't regret it. I almost never buy lenses new but this one was worth it.

The 24GM is perfect in pretty much everyway. Small size, fast, sharp, great AF, great bokeh, great rendering, no coma, great build and ergonomic. I don't think I have come across any lens that's this good on the whole. You won't regret it. I almost never buy lenses new but this one was worth it.
If I diddnt have a batis I'd be tempted

You're not helping! :) If Amazon had stock, I would have bought it ages ago. I have some vouchers that need spending. I might hold out a bit longer but the Sigma 35mm for £579 is mightily tempting.

If I diddnt have a batis I'd be tempted
Which Batis have you got? I considered the 40mm/f2 but I think it might be just a bit too long for me.

Discounts coming to the A7III this month according to the rumour site they are dropping $200 dollars in the states because of the launch of the Canon Eos-RP at $1599.

You're not helping! :) If Amazon had stock, I would have bought it ages ago. I have some vouchers that need spending. I might hold out a bit longer but the Sigma 35mm for £579 is mightily tempting.

Which Batis have you got? I considered the 40mm/f2 but I think it might be just a bit too long for me.
25mm

Where did you find it for £579? :O

He has the Batis 25

Nice, there is one in the sales thread on this forum. Perhaps you can haggle for a better deal based in this ;)
Go do it before I do lol

Tempting but for the sake of a £50-60 saving I'd prefer to buy new. Though I like a good haggle so let's see...:)

I've reserved the 35mm and will pick it up tomorrow. At that price I could sell it with minimal loss if I don't get on with it.

A few weeks in and loving the move to Sony so far. Added an A9 + 100-400 to the A7III kit bought a few weeks ago so have the best of both worlds now (and makes it easier when out and about working two focal lengths). The kit is obviously back to the weight of my Canon days, and I do miss the 'pocket-ability' of the Fuji kit, but the focus system on the Sony is amazing in comparison, and the lenses, while expensive, are all very very good. I thought I would miss the manual dials, but actually I don't - I've even stopped using it on the 84 f/1.4, and a stand out feature for me, which I didn't even factor into the switch is the ability to save the settings, and access via the memory recall on the main dial, that in combination with the custom hold buttons has made this system a pleasure to use when switching between shooting styles.

A couple from Brighton on a cold but sunny morning with the A9 & 100-400

Seagulls and Pringles!
by David Thompson, on Flickr

Young Seagull at Brighton

Last edited:
A few weeks in and loving the move to Sony so far. Added an A9 + 100-400 to the A7III kit bought a few weeks ago so have the best of both worlds now (and makes it easier when out and about working two focal lengths). The kit is obviously back to the weight of my Canon days, and I do miss the 'pocket-ability' of the Fuji kit, but the focus system on the Sony is amazing in comparison, and the lenses, while expensive, are all very very good. I thought I would miss the manual dials, but actually I don't - I've even stopped using it on the 84 f/1.4, and a stand out feature for me, which I didn't even factor into the switch is the ability to save the settings, and access via the memory recall on the main dial, that in combination with the custom hold buttons has made this system a pleasure to use when switching between shooting styles.

Seagulls and Pringles!

Also love the amount of customisability of the Sony cameras. Have 3 shooting preferences set up whereas no more than 2 on the Nikon I replaced.

Just about to order a 24 art to add to the collection.

Seagulls and Pringles!

Two very nice shots, good colour, with beautiful contre-jour light on #1 and so much detail on #2.(y)

George.

Back