The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Bit ugly with average spec by the looks of it.
No joystick or even slide bar
5 frames per second continuous shooting (that's likely with single AF)

Looks like it will be cheap way to FF mirroeless though.
As I said an A7 replacement :D

Though the old A7 probably still has a better sensor than this and costs 1/3rd the price :p
Imagine RP's AF will be vastly superior

I can't see myself ever going for that body (RP) to replace my A7 but if I was thinking about it I'd want to see what the image quality is like when boosting the shadows post capture. Canon may be over all that now but before I part with any money I'd want to be convinced by seeing the evidence myself :D

Got my Sigma 35mm Art few days ago. It's a bit on the big side, almost same size as my 24-70 GM, but I'm liking it so far. Very sharp and I'm enjoying the 35mm focal length. I still want to try the 24 GM so might pick one up later but for now I'm happy. Might get rid of my 85 GM to make way for another zoom and then I'm done.... for now.

I keep thinking about a native wide. I have a number of 24mm lenses plus 17 and 19mm lenses but all of these need to be used with an adapter... but they are more portable and if I ever move to another camera system I can take those lenses with me whereas I'd have to sell a native lens.

I also have a 9-18mm for MFT and as I sometimes take two cameras out, my A7 with something mounted on it and a MFT with something different mounted on it, that remains an option too as a MFT camera and lens sometimes isn't really all that much extra weight.

Choices....

You can't swap. You haven't even bought an A7iii yet...... ;) :)

I quite like the CV21 in all honesty. Yeah, there's probably better but for the price, size & weight it does well enough! I can't see a reason for leaving Sony though for myself so I don't mind investing in some E mount. It's nice not having to worry about adapter light leaks & having exif too.

I still keep looking at the a7, it's a toss up between this and a Nikon..

Nikon - have a lens, better low light ( ? ) according to dxo, either d610/d800, downside is size of the d800..

Sony - size, price, downside is maybe more pricey overall as I have no lens, battery life

Which to go for ? What is a fair price to pay for the original a7 ? It's purely for static shots so I don't need fps, tracking etc.

Nikon - have a lens, better low light ( ? ) according to dxo, either d610/d800, downside is size of the d800..

Sony - size, price, downside is maybe more pricey overall as I have no lens, battery life

Which to go for ? What is a fair price to pay for the original a7 ? It's purely for static shots so I don't need fps, tracking etc.

Mint used a7 for about £450 seems the going rate. Probably the cheapest way into full frame if talking cameras alone.

Really like my d610 and there a lot more reasonable priced glass around. Depends what you plan to shoot with it I guess. D610 and a nifty fifty. Can't go too far wrong with that.

Yes I have a 50, hence looking at Nikon too. It would mean I only need a body not body and lens..

I would not make a choice based on the size of the Sony, On full frame, the size of the lenses quickly becomes the dominant factor, in fact you may find yourself strapping on extra bits to the Sony just to make it a bit bigger so it is more comfortable when balance with the lens

I would not make a choice based on the size of the Sony, On full frame, the size of the lenses quickly becomes the dominant factor, in fact you may find yourself strapping on extra bits to the Sony just to make it a bit bigger so it is more comfortable when balance with the lens

Unless you like compact lenses like the 35mm f2.8 or even the 55mm f1.8. Compact lenses like these mean that you can keep the overall size down to really MFT mini SLR style body and lens sort of levels. Even if you like the larger lenses the option of mounting a smaller lens is there for when you want to go compact and light. The bigger systems can't offer that flexibility.

Unless you like compact lenses like the 35mm f2.8 or even the 55mm f1.8. Compact lenses like these mean that you can keep the overall size down to really MFT mini SLR style body and lens sort of levels. Even if you like the larger lenses the option of mounting a smaller lens is there for when you want to go compact and light. The bigger systems can't offer that flexibility.

Very true - at least you have options.
Still struggling to find the right 35mm for my 'portable' kit - so many opinions out there. Just need to find time to pop down to Park Cameras and try a few.

Very true - at least you have options.
Still struggling to find the right 35mm for my 'portable' kit - so many opinions out there. Just need to find time to pop down to Park Cameras and try a few.

We'll have another 35mm option soon in the f1.8. I hope...

Even if the f1.8 is wonderful and I buy one I could keep the f2.8 as it's such a small lens and on an A7 gives a very small FF package that's just the EVF hump bigger than my MFT RF style cameras.

Nissin Air system?

That's what I'm using, has been faultless so far (10+ weddings) and very easy to use, although I've only used it for first dance and once for fireworks.

A7 seems to have dropped again with the used dealers I was in my local WEX yesterday and they had a couple one had a small visible rub mark on one corner and they where selling it for £399, they had another mint one for £434. Noticed they are a fair bit more expensive on their website might be worth visiting your local store. Based on that if you are buying privately I would imagine around £350 would be the going rate. Park cameras are doing 10% of all used equipment today might be worth a look to see what they have.

Okay, I have 2 months to get this flash business for the Sony nail down….got a wedding in NYC and I plan to only take the Sony system.

What issues are you having with flash?

I have godox flash's and had a few issues with the flash not always firing until I realised I need to turn off e.f.c.s, not had any issues since.

Last edited:
We'll have another 35mm option soon in the f1.8. I hope...

Even if the f1.8 is wonderful and I buy one I could keep the f2.8 as it's such a small lens and on an A7 gives a very small FF package that's just the EVF hump bigger than my MFT RF style cameras.

I am waiting too see if they do release the 1.8 35mm. Im not 100% convinced we will see one!

A7 seems to have dropped again with the used dealers I was in my local WEX yesterday and they had a couple one had a small visible rub mark on one corner and they where selling it for £399, they had another mint one for £434. Noticed they are a fair bit more expensive on their website might be worth visiting your local store. Based on that if you are buying privately I would imagine around £350 would be the going rate. Park cameras are doing 10% of all used equipment today might be worth a look to see what they have.

What issues are you having with flash?

I have godox flash's and had a few issues with the flash not always firing until I realised I need to turn off e.f.c.s, not had any issues since.

well, the not always firing part.

And one time it just refuse to fire at all !

I am waiting too see if they do release the 1.8 35mm. Im not 100% convinced we will see one!

The rumor sites have consistently said that one is coming. They could be wrong of course but I'm sure that I read somewhere that it's been confirmed as "on the lens roadmap..." Time will tell.

I think we will get one :D

If I look at the BULK of the night images from my Canon, the number of misfire from an evening (if the flashes were connected), it is less than 1%.

The Godox (albeit only used once), the percentage was like 60%....it is unacceptable.

well, the not always firing part.

And one time it just refuse to fire at all !

Weird maybe you are using different flash’s than I am, I have 2 x AD200’s, an AD600 and a couple of V350’s.

They all had problems with e.f.c.s on but had no problems with it off.

£350-£400 would be a great price I must admit..

The FE35/2.8 retails at about £650?? I can't see them bringing out a newer, better performing, faster 35mm for £400. I mean, I hope I am wrong. But I just can't see it happening. Was it not also rumoured to be a G lens too at one point?

The FE35/2.8 retails at about £650?? I can't see them bringing out a newer, better performing, faster 35mm for £400. I mean, I hope I am wrong. But I just can't see it happening. Was it not also rumoured to be a G lens too at one point?

If it's not a zeiss it will/should be better value. Not that zony lenses are incredible.

I was talking about an a7, not a lens

A 35mm version of the FE85/1.8 would be perfect!! But if it's a G it's going to be much dearer!
I'm hoping for a 35mm f1.8 of about the same size and quality of the 55mm f1.8. A bit more compact would be nice.

Hi all,
I recently purchased a Samyang 14mm 2.8 lens with the intension of trying some astro photography soon, it was dirt cheap and my expectations were not very high, I know these lenses get very mixed reviews but I thought I'd give it a try.
I first tried it on my A7R3 and the results were bad to say the least and I was going to send it back when I decided to try it on my A73 and it was much better, definitely not razor sharp but very usable for my intended use.
Do you think it was simply the lens being unable to cope with the high resolution files of the A7R3 or might there be some other reason?.
Anyroadup now looking forward to some clear skies to have a go.

Is this to go alongside your current kit?

I've had the D610 and the A7(original) and to be fair the D610 is a nice camera but I loved using the A7 more. It's smaller, the EVF is a good plus point. However the AF isn't great for AFC. On single shot it's perfectly useable though (as is face detect etc). Battery life isn't great on the A7 but not much of a problem unless you go our shooting 6 hours+ a day.

The 50mm 1.8 (equivalent to your Nikon) is available for £170 new and has been see as low as £120/130 used. I don't think there is a massive price difference in it as the D610 is more expensive that the a7 (used)

Yes, to add to my bag..I’m in no hurry so I’ll keep looking until something at the right price comes up.

Did start off looking at the d600 due to the price but the oil issue worries me so I went to the d610. Then the a7. Then the a7ii.

You know how it goes...

Hi all,
I recently purchased a Samyang 14mm 2.8 lens with the intension of trying some astro photography soon, it was dirt cheap and my expectations were not very high, I know these lenses get very mixed reviews but I thought I'd give it a try.
I first tried it on my A7R3 and the results were bad to say the least and I was going to send it back when I decided to try it on my A73 and it was much better, definitely not razor sharp but very usable for my intended use.
Do you think it was simply the lens being unable to cope with the high resolution files of the A7R3 or might there be some other reason?.
Anyroadup now looking forward to some clear skies to have a go.

Probably/possibly, yes :D

I suppose you could try downsizing the RIII files to the same size as the III files and then see if the RIII files still look relatively poor. My guess is though that it's just down to the higher resolution of the R making issues more easy to see.

Hi guys, I'm going to read the thread in full when I have time but just to say hi really. I've just jumped aboard recently as managed to grab an A7 II. I've previously come from Fuji X system. Before that I used micro four thirds. Before that I used Canon crop DSLRs. Liking the Sony so far. :)

ldnlcy.jpg

Hi guys, I'm going to read the thread in full when I have time but just to say hi really. I've just jumped aboard recently as managed to grab an A7 II. I've previously come from Fuji X system. Before that I used micro four thirds. Before that I used Canon crop DSLRs. Liking the Sony so far. :)

Really? 1,000+ pages? Really?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother :D I'll summarise it all for you...

- There's a ff mirrorless coming.
- It's here!
- It's the size of a DSLR once you add a lens and DSLR's are better anyway
(this goes on for 250 pages.)
- The lenses are too big and too expensive (this goes on for 175 pages.)
- It's too small, it feels like a toy (273 pages...)
- This kit should be £50 because Sony make DVD players and they're £50 (This goes on for 325 pages.)
- Fuji are better (this goes on for 312 pages.)
- There's a new body out. And another. And another. And another...

There, you're up to speed :D

Back