The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Really? 1,000+ pages? Really?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother :D I'll summarise it all for you...

- There's a ff mirrorless coming.
- It's here!
- It's the size of a DSLR once you add a lens and DSLR's are better anyway
(this goes on for 250 pages.)
- The lenses are too big and too expensive (this goes on for 175 pages.)
- It's too small, it feels like a toy (273 pages...)
- This kit should be £50 because Sony make DVD players and they're £50 (This goes on for 325 pages.)
- Fuji are better (this goes on for 312 pages.)
- There's a new body out. And another. And another. And another...

There, you're up to speed :D
Forgot to mention how I converted everyone on to Sony including twist

- It's here!
- This kit should be £50 because Sony make DVD players and they're £50 (This goes on for 325 pages.)

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yes, to add to my bag..I’m in no hurry so I’ll keep looking until something at the right price comes up.

Did start off looking at the d600 due to the price but the oil issue worries me so I went to the d610. Then the a7. Then the a7ii.

You know how it goes...

Sell it all and get a a7iii :cool:

My very first attempt at astrophotography. (Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Manual). Can't wait to get out and try some more, really enjoyed it. We're planning on going somewhere with less light pollution next time.

DSC07936-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
My very first attempt at astrophotography. (Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Manual). Can't wait to get out and try some more, really enjoyed it. We're planning on going somewhere with less light pollution next time.

Lovely shot, I've just purchased this lens specifically for astro and I am looking forward to trying it out planing a visit to one of the dark sky areas end of the month or early March
Northumberland or perhaps the Lakes.

Lovely shot, I've just purchased this lens specifically for astro and I am looking forward to trying it out planing a visit to one of the dark sky areas end of the month or early March
Northumberland or perhaps the Lakes.

Yeah I live on the edge of the Lakes so we can wait for a clear night and be somewhere within 30-40mins. I love the lens BTW.

Probably/possibly, yes :D

I suppose you could try downsizing the RIII files to the same size as the III files and then see if the RIII files still look relatively poor. My guess is though that it's just down to the higher resolution of the R making issues more easy to see.
Hi woof woof thanks for that, never thought of downsizing, I've never done it before and didn't know how so I watched a couple of YouTube videos on the subject and gave it a try and the results are promising definitely a work in progress, need to keep playing.o_O

Yeah I live on the edge of the Lakes so we can wait for a clear night and be somewhere within 30-40mins. I love the lens BTW.
I envy you, I live in Hertfordshire, the light pollution around here is pretty bad so wherever I go it will be a bit of a trek.

I envy you, I live in Hertfordshire, the light pollution around here is pretty bad so wherever I go it will be a bit of a trek.

Well I live on the Cumbrian Coast so Blackpool & Heysham pretty much spoil anything in that direction, this is taken across the Duddon Estuary and even small places like Millom & Haverigg make plenty of light. Planning maybe High Dam next time which should be pretty dark, and the water is often very flat so fingers crossed. The trek up to there in the dark should be a laugh if nothing else haha.

I don't think the light pollution is that distracting in all honesty. Nice work. Want to give it a try myself at some point. We're not far from the Mendip Hills & I have seen star/Milky Way images from there so...... I've also just bought my boy a telescope too...... ;) Hence we've had nothing but rain & cloud in the UK for the past week :LOL::LOL:

I don't think the light pollution is that distracting in all honesty. Nice work. Want to give it a try myself at some point. We're not far from the Mendip Hills & I have seen star/Milky Way images from there so...... I've also just bought my boy a telescope too...... ;) Hence we've had nothing but rain & cloud in the UK for the past week :LOL::LOL:

It's been toned down a lot on that the photo tbh. This show's a truer representation of the light pollution

DSC07948-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

You get so much sky with the 14mm. I can't imagine what things like the Voigtlander 10mm are like

Hi woof woof thanks for that, never thought of downsizing, I've never done it before and didn't know how so I watched a couple of YouTube videos on the subject and gave it a try and the results are promising definitely a work in progress, need to keep playing.o_O

I think we sometimes see problems on our screens especially when pixel peeping which aren't easily seen in the final picture or maybe sometimes can't be seen at all. I think it's a good idea to look at the picture at the size we're going to want to print or view on screen and I think that when doing that very often pictures which we think aren't so good when pixel peeping are fine, very nice even, when seen as a whole final picture :D

Anyway, I hope you're happy with it.

I think we sometimes see problems on our screens especially when pixel peeping which aren't easily seen in the final picture or maybe sometimes can't be seen at all. I think it's a good idea to look at the picture at the size we're going to want to print or view on screen and I think that when doing that very often pictures which we think aren't so good when pixel peeping are fine, very nice even, when seen as a whole final picture :D

100% agree with this, zooming in whilst editing is a bad trap to fall into sometimes. I noticed stars on the outer edges of the frame on the 14mm Samyang can be a little stretched even with lens correction and was disappointed to see that, but when you zoom back out and look at the whole picture it's really something tiny.

Exactly. When most people view on a phone > tablet > screen most 'issues' aren't even noticeable.

Also, the widest I have is 21mm so I guess I'd have the added challenge of stitching Astro too :) lol

Exactly. When most people view on a phone > tablet > screen most 'issues' aren't even noticeable.

Also, the widest I have is 21mm so I guess I'd have the added challenge of stitching Astro too :) lol

I do pixel peep but I do try and keep in mind that effectively I'm looking at a massive picture with my nose right up against it.

You guys probably all already know about this chart for astro, but just incase I have this saved to my phone and find it very useful for a starting point.

50644908_2110339289053711_7288021578133012480_n.jpg

I remember buying the original Sony A7 with the Zeiss 24-70mm f4 lens.
My first step into the Sony mirrorless world :)

I remember buying the a7 when it wasn't available in the UK. There was only 2 FE lenses at the time lol.

Last edited:
Converted is a bit of a strong term when it comes to cameras, we’re not talking Catholicism to Judaism here.

The last time I bought a dishwasher I switched from Bosch to Miele , you just buy the best tools for the job at the time. If Aldi where to bring out a camera system that did the job significantly better tomorrow, for a price I could afford, I’d switch again :)

Personal financial investment into a system/platform aside, I think brand loyalty for consumer goods is a bit odd.

Converted is a bit of a strong term when it comes to cameras, we’re not talking Catholicism to Judaism here.

The last time I bought a dishwasher I switched from Bosch to Miele , you just buy the best tools for the job at the time. If Aldi where to bring out a camera system that did the job significantly better tomorrow, for a price I could afford, I’d switch again :)

Personal financial investment into a system/platform aside, I think brand loyalty for consumer goods is a bit odd.
Agreed. A lot of Apple customers fall into this category of blindly repeat buying their latest offerings assuming it's good, or, buying because "I'm used to Apple". I find it totally bizarre that people wouldn't think to do an ounce of research into buying anything these days, and at least looking to see what else is out there. The information is always out there and so easily accessible.

- It's here!

Haha. Thanks for the summary.
With "Fuji are better" I've been using Fuji for the last few years. Not better, just different. It really depends on your priorities.

With the size thing it's so personal and will come down to what lenses you want to use. I obsessed for years over having the smallest body and lens setup I could to encourage me to get out and take photos but now realize, it doesn't really matter. It will still go in a bag of in my hand when in use and will still look like I'm holding a camera. So it comes down to more what is nice to use and gives good results for me whilst still being not huge and heavy.

One thing I will say is I find the battery life on the Sony miles better than my Fuji, which shocked me as I read that it's "just as bad". For me in my experience on a cold night the other day it lasted atleast twice as long as my X-t10.

- It's here!

:ROFLMAO: This is so true!

Agreed. A lot of Apple customers fall into this category of blindly repeat buying their latest offerings assuming it's good, or, buying because "I'm used to Apple". I find it totally bizarre that people wouldn't think to do an ounce of research into buying anything these days, and at least looking to see what else is out there. The information is always out there and so easily accessible.

I’m afraid to admit it, but I’m probably one of those Apple customers, however I tend to treat it as a whole ecosystem, for me it just works and I tend to like / enjoy most Apple products.
Bought a iPhone XR recently as for me it ticked all the boxes compared to expensive iPhone XS etc.

I think with Sony full-frame we have been early adopters, so the innovation and technology was only going to go forward.

I'm just joking

I recently bought an iPhone 8 and I am hating it :(
Should have just bought an android phone because I am used to it :D

Being used to something plays a large role in our choices

Last edited:
Back