The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Panasonic S1 first impressions video out at dpreview. Looks like the DfD 'AF wobble' is still a thing.

Unfortunately the bodies are too large for me. I have learned from owning various bodies both large bodies and very small ones like RX100 don't work for me. The rest in between are all fine.

Admiring light has a review of the Sony 12-24mm f4...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sony-fe-12-24mm-f-4-g/

I had the Sigma 12-24mm and for a while it was my most used lens on my 20D and then 5D. In fact that lens together with the Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's and 20mm f1.8 where the lenses that got me back to FF after almost 10 years with Canon APS-C and before that decades with "FF" film. I know I'd love one of these for my A7 but I'm struggling to justify spending well over £1k on a lens.

Also didn’t realise that the A9 has some sort of built in screen protector/film over the LCD?

You guys probably all already know about this chart for astro, but just incase I have this saved to my phone and find it very useful for a starting point.

Very useful. 500/focal length is thought to be a rough rule but whenever I think I'll try some night time shots I forget it :D

I don't suppose anyone will be interested but there are two Miniolta Rokkor 45mm f2's for sale at Ffords, both at £49.

It's a nice lens, it's small and light, it's sharp and even very sharp and it has nice bokeh.

Very useful. 500/focal length is thought to be a rough rule but whenever I think I'll try some night time shots I forget it :D

To be honest you have to be a bit more careful with 500 rule these days. Hi res sensors will show significant movement at 100% using those numbers. At 20mm I tend to try to stick to 15 seconds so mines more like a 300 rule.

To be honest you have to be a bit more careful with 500 rule these days. Hi res sensors will show significant movement at 100% using those numbers. At 20mm I tend to try to stick to 15 seconds so mines more like a 300 rule.

Yup. As I keep saying, I think it's worthwhile starting at the end result you want and working backwards from there to decide both the kit and the setting you'll need. Hi res sensors may show detail others wont but image size and viewing distance will matter so if you're going for a big image to view very closely then the shorter the time the better but that in itself may bring other issues. 15-20 seconds (saves remembering sums) has always been in my mind as a starting point with nowadays the possibility of better image quality despite higher ISO's and noise to think about, maybe more than 100% viewing on screen.

Anyway. It's decades since I did any night time photography and it's something I'd like to do more of especially as cameras and the results they give are so much better now.

Last edited:
So does the A7III. I thought all of the A7 series shipped with a factory fitted film on the lcd screen, could be wrong though. They can wear out quite quickly as shown in the video...

That's what I thought.

I'm sure this has been talked about in this thread at sometime. How I remember it is that they all have a protective film of some sort that can be removed and replaced. I could be wrong...

Yeah they all do as far as I know. I have replaced the protective cover on my A99 and nex-5n in the past.
But if the bodies are old it becomes hard to source the OEM Sony version.

That's what I thought.

I'm sure this has been talked about in this thread at sometime. How I remember it is that they all have a protective film of some sort that can be removed and replaced. I could be wrong...

Last edited:
Easily replaced, but experience tells me (I know now☹️) that those nice guys at mpb will use it as a reason to seriously lower your A9 quote!

All Sony bodies I have owned apart from the A7RIII so far has had the delaminating issue. Makes me wonder why Sony don't bother fixing it with a better solution.
A7RIII probably has the same issue, I just haven't owned it long enough to see it.

Simple 5-10 £ glass screen protector solves that issue, no idea why someone wouldn’t use one.

It doesn't though.

Regardless of having a screen protector fitted the factory fitted one will degrade over time. Not a huge issue though it can be removed and replaced.

And you thought the Panasonic and Olympus were big... cred to DPR.

Makoto.jpeg

Also tamron 70-200

I'm a bit puzzled by the 90% possibility that we'll get a 50mm f1.0 FE AF as I'm reliably informed by Canon and Nikon users that this and other f1.x lenses that are reported by some to exist simple can't as the Sony lens mount is too small and only suitable for APS-C.

Last edited:
I don't get why people are acting like the 35 1.8 is this unicorn lens, I don't see any of the other camera brand owners swooning over that spec lens. If it's just size then might as well make it f2.

I don't get why people are acting like the 35 1.8 is this unicorn lens, I don't see any of the other camera brand owners swooning over that spec lens. If it's just size then might as well make it f2.

Me, either there is the Zeiss & Siggy f/1.4 and the Samyang and Sony f/2.8 if you want super light weight.

There is far more important lenses missing from the line up than yet another 35mm.

Would like to see a 20mm f/1.4, a cheap 18-35 and some longer lenses before they do another 35mm.

Last edited:
Because people want a small light 1.8 35mm?

Do they though?

With other systems people generally buy 35mm f/1.8’s because they can’t afford the f/1.4 version or they can’t justify the cost for a lens they don’t use that often. They often upgrade to an f/1.4 lens later on. It’s usually the same with 50mm & 85mm’s as well. Not always but certainly most of the time.

Can’t see another 35mm being a priority when there are several options available already.

Bu... Buut f1.8 is soooooo much better than f2. Also canikon have f1.8 so Sony should at least make f1.79 to be better.

Do they though?

With other systems people generally buy 35mm f/1.8’s because they can’t afford the f/1.4 version or they can’t justify the cost for a lens they don’t use that often. They often upgrade to an f/1.4 lens later on. It’s usually the same with 50mm & 85mm’s as well. Not always but certainly most of the time.

Can’t see another 35mm being a priority when there are several options available already.

I had both the Nikon 35mm 1.8 and 1.4 and sigma 1.4 and kept the Nikon 1.8. But we all prefer different lenses for different reasons!

I’m more a 50 man anyway, and there is definitely a cheap version of that!

If they do release a 35 1.8 I can't see it being anything less than £6-700. Sure it'll be light(er) but it won't look such great value next to the Samyang 35 (2.8 or the 1.4) or the Sigma 35 1.4.

Any 35mm f/1.8 lens will be a budget lens with budget performance, they all are. See no reason why a Sony made one will be any different other than it being more expensive than it would be for other systems. I only used the Nikon 35 f/1.8 for a short time and it was gash, lots of C.A and just felt cheap and nasty. Was very glad that at the time that I hadn’t sold my Sigma 35 f/1.4.

Last edited:
Back