The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

35mm might not be to everyones taste and even though I have... er… a few 35mm lenses :D I have more 50mm's as for a long time that was my most used prime length and I still prefer it for some uses. Just like 50mm and 28mm and some other focal lengths 35mm is considered by some to be one of the "classic" focal lengths. Like it or not.

f1.4 v f1.8. F1.4's have traditionally been bigger, heavier and more expensive whilst the f1.8's could be seen by some as the smarter buy as they generally give enough of the light gathering ability but in a smaller, lighter and cheaper package. Now we have cameras that are pretty good at very high ISO's, maybe f1.8 is good enough for many and f1.4 isn't as crucial as it was when we were stuck with ISO 1600 film. I'd think about an f2 lens and in reality it may just be a mental thing rather than a need but I'd prefer f1.8 and every decimal point that takes me closer to f2.8 makes the lens less attractive as I have the f2.8. There's subject isolation too and f2.8 can be a bit limiting now and again.

With Sony I don't know what we'll get. We could get a bargain priced lens or we could get something in the same sort of line as the 55mm f1.8 which is a very high performing lens at not too cheap a price. Off the top of my head I can't think of another f1.8 lens in the 50mm sort of range that's in the same league and price point as the Sony 55mm as lenses costing that much are often f1.4's. Unless we're talking exotic stuff like Leica.

If Sony do bring out a 35mm f1.8 which is about the same size and weight as the 55mm and if it's any good I'll probably get one if it's under £1k.

Last edited:
Isn't that what we already get?
Or is the simple change you mean that we'll be able to assigned/it will be on the shutter button as default
It means you don't need to assign eyeAF to a separate button. It'll eyeAF automatically if it finds an eye. It already kinda does this is DMF/AF-S. It'll do the same in AF-C and possibly be more reliable too

Still don't get why the a7iii isn't getting real time tracking.

I'm sure the a7iii and a6400 (which will have real time tracking) uses the same Bionz X processor.

Simple business acumen isn’t it they needed a new feature for a new product so stuck it in the A6400. They needed to give there highest end product a boost so they stuck it in the A9.

The A7III already eats heavily into potential A9 sales, if they had of added real time tracking that what continue. Every camera manufacturer does this why would Sony be any different.

I'm sure the a7iii and a6400 (which will have real time tracking) uses the same Bionz X processor.

How do you know it's the same bionz x processor and the sensor stack is different.

The A9 has a stacked sensor that can shoot 20fps with silent shutter with almost no banding or rolling shutter issues unlike A7(R)III. Also as per discussion few pages back A9 electronic shutter is lot faster 1/160s I think it was (hard to look it up on my phone) vs. 1/30s of the A7(R)III. processing wise A9 sensor stack is faster and more capable than other Sony FF bodies.

Last edited:
I know it all sounds good on paper and from the samples shown, but I have never had a problem with the A7iii tracking?

But then again I like to use my focus point and track my subjects so not sure if it’s a real benefit to me, but that is just me.

I have been running the A7iii and A9 side by side and for equestrian work I can honestly say they work as well as each other. But then again I don’t shoot at 20fps so there is that.

The A9 is a beast of a camera but defiantly not needed for all situations. Better view finder is nice to look at though.

Last edited:
I know it all sounds good on paper and from the samples shown, but I have never had a problem with the A7iii tracking?

But then again I like to use my focus point and track my subjects so not sure if it’s a real benefit to me, but that is just me.

I have been running the A7iii and A9 side by side and for equestrian work I can honestly say they work as well as each other. But then again I don’t shoot at 20fps so there is that.

What focus mode are you now using to track?

Err expandable centre spot thing! If that’s what’s it’s called lol! Find it more reliable and easier to use than the others, but I kinda like to have control over my focus point.

Have to say though, now having used the A7iii, A7Riii and A9 you can’t go wrong with any of them.

For me the A7iii is the best all rounder. It sort of reminds me of the D750 in its peak. Just does everything and does it well.

The A9 is very quick, great for fast action or where 20fps makes the difference between getting the shot and missing the shot. Overkill for some, but sheer brilliant for others.

A7Riii, well if you want detail or be able to crop heavy, then here is your camera! Again for people who need that, it’s superb.

Each has a place, and owners will argue that there one is the best, but for me, they are all decent and just pick the one that covers what you need it to do!

Thinking of starting some sort of yard project to make me use my camera more and for a bit of fun, much like @jonneymendoza and his grass roots one.

However, it might be quite boring for most people! #yardlife or something cheesy like that!

Thinking of starting some sort of yard project to make me use my camera more and for a bit of fun, much like @jonneymendoza and his grass roots one.

However, it might be quite boring for most people! #yardlife or something cheesy like that!

The Farrier is always a good subject. Red hot shoes and flailing hammers.

The Farrier is always a good subject. Red hot shoes and flailing hammers.

That would be included - but only in a 6 weekly cycle lol

I was thinking the horses, the people, the stables, trailers, hacks, fields etc etc!

I think so, I have just sent a message to the yard group we have just making sure no one minds being in the pics!

I’ll bet you’ll find someone ‘precious’

Just a couple of interesting things in the for sale section...

There's a Sony 85mm f1.8.

I have one and I think it's a very nice lens with the only question mark being the slightly cats eye bokeh which I don't like as much as the bokeh I used to get from my Sigma 85mm f1.4. The Sony lens is compact, light and very sharp from wide open though.

I see there's also a Hasselblad X1D and 90mm f3.2 for sale.

Ah you are now using A7r3!! How do you like it?

As always nice portraits and even more so in your flickr page :)

thanks for the nice words. The lens has such a unique look to it i really do like using it.

impressive camera. ticks most of the boxes for me tbh and i don't think its really missing much that i wanted from an upgrade for the a7r2. the body could be bigger, but putting a grip on it kind of solves that issue. The focus tracking is more than good enough for me and obviously the image quality is right up there with the best. Again the continuous eye af is superb. Like the a73 its so reliable. it makes things so much easier - im baffled that Canikon haven't brought theirs to the table yet.

The EVF is noticeably better than the a73 and thats important to me too. its not a deal-breaker for the a73 though.

i haven't tried an a9 yet so MAYBE i'll get one before the madness in Westminster unfolds.

thanks for the nice words. The lens has such a unique look to it i really do like using it.

impressive camera. ticks most of the boxes for me tbh and i don't think its really missing much that i wanted from an upgrade for the a7r2. the body could be bigger, but putting a grip on it kind of solves that issue. The focus tracking is more than good enough for me and obviously the image quality is right up there with the best. Again the continuous eye af is superb. Like the a73 its so reliable. it makes things so much easier - im baffled that Canikon haven't brought theirs to the table yet.

The EVF is noticeably better than the a73 and thats important to me too. its not a deal-breaker for the a73 though.

i haven't tried an a9 yet so MAYBE i'll get one before the madness in Westminster unfolds.

When are you moving back to Fuji? :D lol

Canikon have a big battle on their hands..... the new Sony firmware updates are really pushing them harder and harder to compete.

Last edited:
When are you moving back to Fuji? :D lol

Canikon have a big battle on their hands..... the new Sony firmware updates are really pushing them harder and harder to compete.

i think i'll always shoot some fuji mate.

they do have a battle on their hands and its good they are now at least at the battle. but they need to try harder. looks like canon are doing it right with the glass though.

yeah that firmware update is a monster.

Last edited:
Have to say that eye focus in the vid above on the kid is amazing .

Rob.

Just to update, it's seems a6400 has a new processor. their press release mentioned it having a "new generation processor" and mentioned a few times by Rishi at dpreview in comments section of the AF article. :)

Last edited:
For those who bought a proper camera.

52753315_10161700502085227_5793137977169281024_o.jpg

51840620_10161700502105227_4397446761870786560_o.jpg

Back