The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It’s amazing how many people have commented saying they have not switched to Sony because they want a 35mm 1.8 and it’s their go too lens.

If they (big if) release one it will be enough to attract another whole bunch of on the fence potential buyers.

I also think they'd sell more 35mm F1.8 than 135mm F1.8.
35mm and 85mm are both classic focal lengths along with 50mm which they have got well covered. I'd say 24mm and 135mm are bit of a niche.

so the first spring collection samyang lens is an xp 10mm f3.5 - advertised as distortion-free and the worlds widest prime lens. Available in March. not sure which mount this is for.

*edit - its canon mount.

Last edited:
yuck :puke:

also on their website:

"XP 10mm F3.5, which has the widest angle of view in XP series, is a prime lens that is sufficient for more than 5.0 megapixel photography and 8K cinematography with the latest DSLR models"
https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/product/product-view.php?seq=406

anti-MP race?

also:

"aimed at a broad range of photographers and cinematographers who wish to create professional photo and videos in exceptionally high resolution".

I wonder how they are defining high resolution in this instance.

also:

"aimed at a broad range of photographers and cinematographers who wish to create professional photo and videos in exceptionally high resolution".

I wonder how they are defining high resolution in this instance.

Surely meant to say 50 mp stills. 8k video is up in the 30’s isn’t it.

Shame - no new lens road map to show potentials :-(

Sony did show road maps when they didn't have many lenses for the system just like others showing roadmaps. Roadmap is more like saying "We know there aren't many at the moment but if you buy into our new mount you can have all these one day. Isn't that wonderful!"

I've just been wandering back through the thread and seen the tax rebate comparison going on at the beginning of Feb. I am very strictly an amateur by comparison, and I'd better just go find an old budget A7 body. :p ;)

WEX let me down, sent them my 24-70, got a phone call to say there is movement in the lens mount and feels weird between 50-70 mm on the zoom ring. Got it back and cant find anything wrong with it, perfectly smooth zoom ring and no play in the mount. Maybe they just don't want any more 24-70, but seems odd they would make faults up, i did say so on the phone to which they could send it for further examination but it would be 10 days. So looks like im keeping it.

Last edited:
WEX let me down, sent them my 24-70, got a phone call to say there is movement in the lens mount and feels weird between 50-70 mm on the zoom ring. Got it back and cant find anything wrong with it, perfectly smooth zoom ring and no play in the mount. Maybe they just don't want any more 24-70, but seems odd they would make faults up, i did say so on the phone to which they could send it for further examination but it would be 10 days. So looks like im keeping it.

Try mpb or Peter walnes :)

Manual focus at f1.2 is perfectly ok in a couple of ways. Firstly peaking can be pretty accurate at wide apertures as next to nothing will be peaking and the results will very possibly be good for even quite close viewing. Secondly with the magnified view it's like macro at a distance and very accurate focus should be possible for still subjects.

I have no problem focusing at f1.2 with my Minolta 50mm.

It's true you can't AF, zone focus or shoot hyperfocally with this lens at f1.x, you'll have to stop down for the latter ways to shoot quickly :D but for still life stuff and posed people shots f1.2 isn't really all that more challenging or more extreme than f1.4 or f1.8.

Sigma has announced MC-21 for L-mount i.e. L-mount version of the MC-11.
The funny thing is though it does not allow C-AF. Wonder if it's because all current L-mount bodies use CDAF.
They also have released L-mount versions of thier DSLR primes just like they did for E-mount.

Sigma has announced MC-21 for L-mount i.e. L-mount version of the MC-11.
The funny thing is though it does not allow C-AF. Wonder if it's because all current L-mount bodies use CDAF.
They also have released L-mount versions of thier DSLR primes just like they did for E-mount.
Ain't the Panasonic s1 L mount and only has CAF?

Swapped the tamron 28-75/2.8 for Sony 24-105/4G. I must say I am very impressed by the sharpness of the Sony. In fact it seems better than tamron at 75mm f4.
Though Sony comes at a premium.

I spoke to a guy from Meike earlier. They are bringing out an e-mount 35mm f/1.4 They where going to send me one to review but as well as a post on my website they wanted me to do a video review on YouTube.

A free lens isn’t enough to make me want to make a tit of myself on YouTube so that won’t be happening. :D

I spoke to a guy from Meike earlier. They are bringing out an e-mount 35mm f/1.4 They where going to send me one to review but as well as a post on my website they wanted me to do a video review on YouTube.

A free lens isn’t enough to make me want to make a tit of myself on YouTube so that won’t be happening. :D
AF or MF?

I can do it for you lol [emoji23]

Swapped the tamron 28-75/2.8 for Sony 24-105/4G. I must say I am very impressed by the sharpness of the Sony. In fact it seems better than tamron at 75mm f4.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the two in terms of usage. I think they are obviously both fantastic lenses optically and operationally. It comes down to usage scenarios and focal range. I'm really torn between the two. On the one hand, one of the reasons I moved to Sony Full Frame was because I wanted to have more shallow DOF in a versatile walk about zoom lens (i.e. without having to get the primes out). So compromising slightly with the f/4 kind of goes against the grain of my original movement to Sony as I knew about the Tamron lens. I was about to pull the trigger but held back because there are so many times in the past where I have just wanted that little bit more reach at the long end. The 24mm wide is just a bonus really. Size and weight difference is minimal with the Sony about 100g more. I think at full 105mm at f4, the bokeh is going to be as acceptable as the Tamron at f/2.8, but it's the shorter focal lengths that are going to be nicer with the Tamron like 30-55 range.

Argh! Then the other side of me says just get the bargain Sony kit lens for £140 as a walk about compact lens and get a couple more primes. Dunno. I already have the Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 and I'm personally really happy with it and could never justify the Zeiss 55mm additional cost. I take a lot of portrait and people shots.

Last edited:
Be interested to hear your thoughts on the two in terms of usage. I think they are obviously both fantastic lenses optically and operationally. It comes down to usage scenarios and focal range. I'm really torn between the two. On the one hand, one of the reasons I moved to Sony Full Frame was because I wanted to have more shallow DOF in a versatile walk about zoom lens (i.e. without having to get the primes out). So compromising slightly with the f/4 kind of goes against the grain of my original movement to Sony as I knew about the Tamron lens. I was about to pull the trigger but held back because there are so many times in the past where I have just wanted that little bit more reach at the long end. The 24mm wide is just a bonus really. Size and weight difference is minimal with the Sony about 100g more. I think at full 105mm at f4, the bokeh is going to be as acceptable as the Tamron at f/2.8, but it's the shorter focal lengths that are going to be nicer with the Tamron like 30-55 range.

Argh! Then the other side of me says just get the bargain Sony kit lens for £140 as a walk about compact lens and get a couple more primes. Dunno. I already have the Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 and I'm personally really happy with it and could never justify the Zeiss 55mm additional cost. I take a lot of portrait and people shots.

I like the 50mm 1.8.

I have a 28-70 in the classifieds - brand new.

That's the only lens I have so far for A7iii, hard to fault.
In APS-C mode it has decent reach, more often a little lacking at wide end in confined spaces (like congested Whitby streets on Goth weekend where it was hard to use)
I am tempted to get the 16-35 F4 Zeiss

also on their website:

"XP 10mm F3.5, which has the widest angle of view in XP series, is a prime lens that is sufficient for more than 5.0 megapixel photography and 8K cinematography with the latest DSLR models"
https://www.samyanglensglobal.com/en/product/product-view.php?seq=406

anti-MP race?

That should be 50mpx not 5.0. Also it is MF only, though a lens that wide you pretty much set to infinity and go about yer business, everything will be in focus. Certainly not one for bokeh whores

Last edited:
Just for fun. All my Sony mount stuff...

Sony 35mm f2.8 on the camera, 55 and 85mm f1.8, 28-70mm and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2.

qAh9GwV.jpg

Manual lenses. Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko, Canon FD and Nikon with some third party lenses in those mounts ranging from 17 to 210mm

RWdzteh.jpg

I mostly keep them in tins by mount type so I know where to find what when I want it. These are Minolta mount.

y03REtU.jpg

Last edited:
Just for fun. All my Sony mount stuff...

Sony 35mm f2.8 on the camera, 55 and 85mm f1.8, 28-70mm and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2

um9qBhZ.jpg

Manual lenses. Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko, Canon FD and Nikon with some third party lenses in those mounts ranging from 17 to 210mm

RWdzteh.jpg

I mostly keep them in tins by mount type so I know where to find what when I want it. These are Minolta mount.

y03REtU.jpg

Nice wallpaper. :cool:

Back