The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've just had a quick read of the 135mm hands on write up at DPR and foolishly scrolled down to the comments where I saw someone ask (paraphrasing) why not just use an 85mm and foot zoom.

I do dislike the idea that different focal lengths aren't needed as we can foot zoom as this shows a basic misunderstanding or a lack of realisation at least as if you walk forward or back you change the perspective. Shocker I know and it may not matter to some but if you want the 135mm look there's only a couple of ways of getting it, use a 135mm or stand at 135mm distance, shoot with a wider lens and crop it to the same FoV.

Anyway, if you can avoid nit picking the comments here it is...

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

It does look to be a very nice lens and if my conscience allowed me I just might buy one for the 1 time a year I'd use it. Good luck to anyone who buys one, I'm sure it'll get them lovely shots :D

Is this the same people who wonder why portraits look odd when taken with a wide angle?!

I've just had a quick read of the 135mm hands on write up at DPR and foolishly scrolled down to the comments where I saw someone ask (paraphrasing) why not just use an 85mm and foot zoom.

I do dislike the idea that different focal lengths aren't needed as we can foot zoom as this shows a basic misunderstanding or a lack of realisation at least as if you walk forward or back you change the perspective. Shocker I know and it may not matter to some but if you want the 135mm look there's only a couple of ways of getting it, use a 135mm or stand at 135mm distance, shoot with a wider lens and crop it to the same FoV.

Anyway, if you can avoid nit picking the comments here it is...

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

It does look to be a very nice lens and if my conscience allowed me I just might buy one for the 1 time a year I'd use it. Good luck to anyone who buys one, I'm sure it'll get them lovely shots :D

The other ‘best of’ posted yesterday had the sigma 135 art as the best tele lens he’d used. So very tough competition for it.

I will buy a 135 next year as I’ve had to forfeit it with the switch, for now. It won’t be my most used at all and as such, the sigma probably will get the vote given price. But it’s always nice to want something.

Now that the Sony FE 135mm f1.8 G Master is out... I am not really sure I will buy it. I like the focal range but I already have the 70-200mm f2.8 G Master and I am not yearning for better images over it.
I would be more interested in a FE 50 1.2 or 1.4 G Master :D

Now that the Sony FE 135mm f1.8 G Master is out... I am not really sure I will buy it. I like the focal range but I already have the 70-200mm f2.8 G Master and I am not yearning for better images over it.
I would be more interested in a FE 50 1.2 or 1.4 G Master :D

But then your collection will be incomplete :D

Here's a post I wrote about switching from the D750.

It's based on wedding photography, but I'm sure you'll find some relevant sections. But yes, in my reasonably capable hands, the A7III is significantly better than the D750 in virtually every respect. The hit rate is much better and I regarding EyeAF, I couldn't buy a camera without it from now on.

The only things that I prefer about the D750 are the assignable 'REC' button, the better way of turning auto ISO on/off quickly, and the big IR focus splodge you get when shooting with flash on a dark dancefloor.
Great read, thank you for sharing! You mentioned about using an adapter for some of your nikon glass, what adapter did you go for?

The Tamron 35-150 is not for Sony E mount I don't think? The 17-28 is. Would the 35-150 be easily adaptable? I wonder how long before Tamron do a Sony E mount 70-200.

The Tamron 35-150 is not for Sony E mount I don't think? The 17-28 is. Would the 35-150 be easily adaptable? I wonder how long before Tamron do a Sony E mount 70-200.

apparently there is an e-mount version in development according to SAR

I'm getting a bit peeved waiting for longer zooms from third party manufacturers. I want a 70-200 and eventually a longer zoom 100-400 or 150-600 etc. There's a distinct lack of enthusiast level zoom lenses with prices to match for FE mount, hundreds of decent and reasonably price primes but damn long lenses........

Sorry for the rant.

I'm getting a bit peeved waiting for longer zooms from third party manufacturers. I want a 70-200 and eventually a longer zoom 100-400 or 150-600 etc. There's a distinct lack of enthusiast level zoom lenses with prices to match for FE mount, hundreds of decent and reasonably price primes but damn long lenses........

Sorry for the rant.

I know it's not ideal but apparently sigma long zooms work quite well with Mc-11 with the latest firmware update.

I have a bit of a lens dilemma and thoughts/opinions greatly appreciated.

I kind of went all out getting the A9 and it’s nearly always going to paired with the 70-200. That’s what I bought it for and it will be used for the vast majority of my shooting.

However...

I’m going to be starting a little project up the yard soon. People, horses, life in general so will be needing to use something smaller, lighter and a little bit more portable!

I’m not a huge zoom fan, apart from of course the 70-200.

Now budget is just about nothing because as mentioned I don’t have anything left! But that’s ok, I’m happy with that and knew that would be the case when I committed to Sony and especially the A9.

I currently have a Sony 28mm F2 and Sony 35mm 2.8. My original thought was sell the 35mm and get the 50mm 1.8 to go with the 28mm. (I have £100 JL voucher so this will be £80). Cost wise both options end up with me spending around the same amount.

I need to either keep just the 35mm and sell the 28mm or keep the 28mm and sell the 35mm and get the 50mm.

But now I’m sort of swaying towards just keeping the 35mm. I’m not going to be in an environment where I want to be changing lenses all the time so maybe the 35mm is more versatile and for the most part all these photos will be outdoors or evenings, not really anything too challenging light wise.

Thoughts? I don’t have money to play with here so please bear that in mind when suggesting G master lenses! Later this year maybe I can add more lenses but for the time being this is it.

Oh and morning everyone!

Last edited:
I have a bit of a lens dilemma and thoughts/opinions greatly appreciated.

I kind of went all out getting the A9 and it’s nearly always going to paired with the 70-200. That’s what I bought it for and it will be used for the vast majority of my shooting.

However...

I’m going to be starting a little project up the yard soon. People, horses, life in general so will be needing to use something smaller, lighter and a little bit more portable!

I’m not a huge zoom fan, apart from of course the 70-200.

Now budget is just about nothing because as mentioned I don’t have anything left! But that’s ok, I’m happy with that and knew that would be the case when I committed to Sony and especially the A9.

I currently have a Sony 28mm F2 and Sony 35mm 2.8. My original thought was sell the 35mm and get the 50mm 1.8 to go with the 28mm. (I have £100 JL voucher so this will be £80). Cost wise both options end up with me spending around the same amount.

But now I’m sort of swaying towards just keeping the 35mm. I’m not going to be in an environment where I want to be changing lenses all the time so maybe the 35mm is more versatile and for the most part all these photos will be outdoors or evenings, not really anything too challenging light wise.

Thoughts? I don’t have money to play with here so please bear that in mind when suggesting G master lenses! Later this year maybe I can add more lenses but for the time being this is it.

Oh and morning everyone!

Just crack on with the 28 & 35

Steve Huff and the 135mm...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/...-8-g-master-experience-review-the-money-lens/

"It’s a firecracker, and I will spoil it for you guys up front. It’s one of the best lenses I have ever had the opportunity to shoot with. Prime or Zoom."...

"This lens is STUNNING"...

"Lenses do not get any better than this in the 135mm focal length. They just don’t. If you want the best quality 135mm you can get, and shoot Sony, then this is your lens. It’s going to be getting many raves and I am excited to see what others do with this lens. It’s an artists lens for sure as it will deliver the look and feel that a creative eye can exploit and do so with ease. All you need is the cash to buy it, and the eye to bring out the best in it....

The Sony G Master 135 1.8 is the real deal"

That's nice.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/...-8-g-master-experience-review-the-money-lens/

"It’s a firecracker, and I will spoil it for you guys up front. It’s one of the best lenses I have ever had the opportunity to shoot with. Prime or Zoom."...

"Lenses do not get any better than this in the 135mm focal length. They just don’t. If you want the best quality 135mm you can get, and shoot Sony, then this is your lens. It’s going to be getting many raves and I am excited to see what others do with this lens. It’s an artists lens for sure as it will deliver the look and feel that a creative eye can exploit and do so with ease. All you need is the cash to buy it, and the eye to bring out the best in it....

That's nice.
I may pre order it.

depends on what sort of light you will be working with. will f2.8 be enough for you?

True and in all honesty I don't know until I start taking more photos I guess.

The appeal of the 35mm comes mainly from its size (although the 28 and 50 are hardly large lenses) and that its probably a bit more versitile as a stand alone lens. I'm not sure IQ wise how the 28/35 compare but reviews seem to say the 28 is pretty good.

Saying that the slightly wider angle and the fact its F2 may make for more interesting shots and bar the 70-200 the 50 was my most used lens on the D750. Maybe I have just answered my own dilema by writing it down!!

The appeal of the 35mm comes mainly from its size (although the 28 and 50 are hardly large lenses) and that its probably a bit more versitile as a stand alone lens. I'm not sure IQ wise how the 28/35 compare but reviews seem to say the 28 is pretty good.

Saying that the slightly wider angle and the fact its F2 may make for more interesting shots and bar the 70-200 the 50 was my most used lens on the D750. Maybe I have just answered my own dilema by writing it down!!

keep the 28f2 and get the 50mm which is only £180 new.

I may pre order it.

I haven't seen a price yet.

I do sometimes think I'd like a full line up for Sony but I doubt I'll do it as I only use some focal lengths once in a blue moon. One of my favourite pictures of Mrs WW was taken with my Minolta 135mm but that was a couple of years ago and I can't remember using it since and outside of deliberate shots of people I really don't know what I'd use this for. It's not a day out, holiday or walk about lens for me.

It does look nice though, outstanding even :D

I suppose it may not be practical for you as you may need the speed of AF but for things that don't require fast focus I like legacy lenses for the less used focal lengths that don't justify the cost of new lenses.

That's nice.

Steve Huff pukes me. Can't tolerate his videos or his articles on the website. Ken Rockwell mk2

Steve Huff pukes me. Can't tolerate his videos or his articles on the website. Ken Rockwell mk2

Really? I wouldn't sleep with him but I can tolerate his webside for minutes at a time and although he does tend to enthuse he has explained that he'll only publish review of the stuff he likes so some OTT enthusing is I think ok. I do often find his pictures worth looking at whereas KR's are often waaaaay over processed for my tastes. I can tolerate KR in small doses as IMO there's some good advice mixed in with the more extreme stuff.

The trick will all of these is maybe having the correct filter fitted and working :D

I haven't seen a price yet.

I do sometimes think I'd like a full line up for Sony but I doubt I'll do it as I only use some focal lengths once in a blue moon. One of my favourite pictures of Mrs WW was taken with my Minolta 135mm but that was a couple of years ago and I can't remember using it since and outside of deliberate shots of people I really don't know what I'd use this for. It's not a day out, holiday or walk about lens for me.

It does look nice though, outstanding even :D
Could be my travel tele lens

Anyone using Samyang lenses? I like the sound of their 50 f1.4 AF prime over the Sony 50/55 for the smoother rendering and softer bokeh.

Back