The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If Sony can fit IBIS into A6500, they can do so in a X-T3 sized body :p
100%. its just an excuse from fuji. like previously they said that ibis would be completely impossible.... 12 months later XH1

Well, Sony did precisely the same with the A6400 - kept IBIS out to protect their A6500 and possible upgrades, no other valid reason. But yeah, an XT3 with IBIS would be very close to the perfect camera to me. Even if they had to make it a little chunkier, in fact I'd prefer if they did.

Last edited:
Did he have the E variant ? I do remember him having the D800 LOL

It was the E, used to sleep with it an' all :ROFLMAO: I knew you'd appear soon as it was mentioned. Last time you hit me with the 'council house' primes, lol, was funny enough for me to remember I'll give you that

If I did go for an A7RII at some point, which is a possibility, it'll be more council house primes like the Samyangs for a while at least.

Last edited:
It was the E, used to sleep with it an' all :ROFLMAO: I knew you'd appear soon as it was mentioned. Last time you hit me with the 'council house' primes, lol, was funny enough for me to remember I'll give you that

If I did go for an A7RII at some point, which is a possibility, it'll be more council house primes like the Samyangs for a while at least.

Council house primes is an absolute classic. I'm pretty sure it originated from Gary Coyle on here.

Voigtlander 40mm F1.2 Nokton E, looks a tasty lens - certainly not cheap for a MF lens though
It's very well made, has a f1.2 aperture and is rather good. All these things help to push the price up. Oh and the aperture can be declicked too.

I have one but I prefer the smaller 35mm f1.4 even though it's not as good. The 40mm is less characterful and sharper into the corners and gives a much more modern look.

It's very well made, has a f1.2 aperture and is rather good. All these things help to push the price up. Oh and the aperture can be declicked too.

I have one but I prefer the smaller 35mm f1.4 even though it's not as good. The 40mm is less characterful and sharper into the corners and gives a much more modern look.

They do produce very nicely crafted lenses, certainly not for everyone though, bit like Leica

Is that the one @LeeRatters has? If so I’m sure you’ll love it.

Forgive my lack of knowledge of MF primes.

It is indeed. I also have the 21/3.5 too which is just as nice to use but obviously doesn't have the same rendering.

No but when you see the results Lee posts, it looks like it’s worth every last penny

Thank you :) Certainly the 'best' lens I've ever owned. I didn't think anything would ever beat the 135L but......

EDIT - Ohh, it's also great for waterfall shots :) We spent two days in the Brecons, shot almost everything at 40mm :)

Last edited:
Yeah man. Sad story, he was a real character on here

Yeah it's weird when you hear that someone you only knew online has passed, you may not know them in person but feel like you knew them well enough to be sad about it. We clashed many a time way back on here, but oft teamed up, sometimes trolls unite :D He was a good dude in general.

It is indeed. I also have the 21/3.5 too which is just as nice to use but obviously doesn't have the same rendering.

Thank you :) Certainly the 'best' lens I've ever owned. I didn't think anything would ever beat the 135L but......

EDIT - Ohh, it's also great for waterfall shots :) We spent two days in the Brecons, shot almost everything at 40mm :)

Can we stop mentioning 135mm. Thank you . :p

My MF lens knowledge is a little limited too and was marvelling at a Nikon 58 1.2 on an A7Riii earlier. All that character...until I googled the price [emoji15]

Last edited:
Yeah it's weird when you hear that someone you only knew online has passed, you may not know them in person but feel like you knew them well enough to be sad about it. We clashed many a time way back on here, but oft teamed up, sometimes trolls unite :D He was a good dude in general.
What’s a troll :rolleyes:

I recently took some new staff pictures where I work with the 50mm 1.8. Uber sharp at f2.8, really impressed. I had done previous staff shots with my old Nikon system and I have to say this is one of the strongest situations where going to mirrorless has really made a difference.

Using the continuous focus mode meant I could capture loads of shots in one go whilst making the guys feel at ease and in some situations came out with some really great, natural looking shots! Really impressed! I would post some but I did say the images would be kept in the office unless they wanted to use them for LinkedIn etc :p

Council house primes is funny but a lot of cheap stuff was the state of the art in its day and not only wasn't cheap but was quite expensive when new.

One good thing about well made manual lenses is that with a bit of luck and care they'll last a lifetime. One thing that puts me off buying too many e mount lenses is that I might not be able to use them if I change systems or if systems change but my old Rokkors etc that are 30 or 40 years old will probably still be useable in another 30 or 40 years maybe only needing a clean and lubrication. My favorites of the old lenses for build quality are the earlier Rokkors and the pre ai Nikons.

7J2CpPm.jpg

I think these modern e mount Voigtlanders are if anything even better made.

Is that the one @LeeRatters has? If so I’m sure you’ll love it.

Forgive my lack of knowledge of MF primes.

Awesome! Excited to get out and use this lens.

Lee I had a look at your flickr/insta. Brilliant shots mate. I had actually seen some of those in the flickr group for the lens but didnt know you were from here!

The Online Photographer has been talking about the importance of printing recently which is relevant for me as I've been printing about a photo a week on average but even though I have slowed down recently I'm still trying. I took all my pictures down when we redecorated and I decided I liked the minimalist look so they never got put back up but recently I printed and framed a picture, I have another ready to frame and I might mount some on the walls again.

Anyway, the TOLP..

Print to save...
https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/03/print-to-save.html

Picture permanance...
https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/03/picture-permanence.html

And a PS.
As well as printing modern stuff I've been copying old pictures...

BY0I8Ip.jpg

There's some great pictures of my father (that's not him above) in uniform from WW2 and of others from WW1.

Last edited:
Back