The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Interesting that the old A7RII is a good match for it too! That's what I'm eyeing atm
There's very little difference in terms of quality between A7RII/III and Z7.
Sony just have a bit more experience with on sensor PDAF points and deal with them better than Nikon in terms of it effecting the IQ. But for all intents and purposes they are pretty much the same.

Sony just have a bit more experience with on sensor PDAF points and deal with them better than Nikon in terms of it effecting the IQ. But for all intents and purposes they are pretty much the same.

I wonder why the Z7 is poor by comparison for low light [acc to DXO numbers] = that's where it seems to fall behind.

The 7RII would be way more than I need tbh, but there's a couple going local for nice prices, just have to sell my current gear first .... already got the funds for lenses on standby

Except for iso

Sony uses a dual gain system which seems to work wonders for high ISO. Also the PDAF points on the sensor steals some light which affects the ISO performance or dynamics range. So deals with this better probably because they have been working on it a while and Nikon is still catching up.

I liked my A7RII very much. It's a great body and possibly my favourite so far lol.

Sony uses a dual gain system which seems to work wonders for high ISO. Also the PDAF points on the sensor steals some light which affects the ISO performance or dynamics range. So deals with this better probably because they have been working on it a while and Nikon is still catching up.

I liked my A7RII very much. It's a great body and possibly my favourite so far lol.

It's the most appealing to me I think because I'm mostly in single point AF, I don't really do CAF or shoot anything fast moving - plus it can be had for a good chunk less, not many 7III going used for similar prices. Or rather, none! :D

It's the most appealing to me I think because I'm mostly in single point AF, I don't really do CAF or shoot anything fast moving - plus it can be had for a good chunk less, not many 7III going used for similar prices. Or rather, none! :D
If all you care about is AF-S then even the A7R is pretty nice. It's a rather loud but IQ is still outstanding. Of course you miss out on IBIS, eyeAF and silent shooting.

Last edited:
If all you care about is AF-S then even the A7R is pretty nice. It's a rather loud but IQ is still outstanding. Of course you miss our of IBIS, eyeAF and silent shooting.

I have looked at that too, but IBIS is important to me, it's the main reason I shifted to M43 from Fuji [H1 wasn't out at the time] - really nice to have it when adapting lenses, I know Sony's isn't as effective as M43 but I'll get much better ISO performance to counter. And though I slate video features all the time, I still like to have the 4K there as I do shoot video of the family for posterity now and then.

One from the Loxia 35mm at Southend-On-Sea. Windsurfers in the Light
taFqYil.jpg

How do I contact admins getting sick if this forum I am having to reconfirm my email address otherwise I can’t post

don't know what you mean tbh. Its a slow cam but Cagey doesn't need a fast one.

Looking into it seems it had some issues with shutter shock? Someone on another forum suggests it was [arguably] the biggest jump in terms of quality in the A7 line to date, from the 7R to 7RII

Last edited:
don't know what you mean tbh. Its a slow cam but Cagey doesn't need a fast one.

Off the top of my head: Incredibly slow to focus. The shutter sounds like a car crash. The flash sync speed is something like 1/160. Low fps. Poor evf.

I guess for landscape shooting it would be OK but I'd never recommend it for general shooting.

Off the top of my head: Incredibly slow to focus. The shutter sounds like a car crash. The flash sync speed is something like 1/160. Low fps. Poor evf.

I guess for landscape shooting it would be OK but I'd never recommend it for general shooting.

Good point there, that I hadn't really thought on! How's the shutter sound on the 7RII? If there was one thing I hated about my old D800 it was the *SLAP* of the mirror when you released the shutter - I'm going to assume on a FFML it will never be near as loud?

Looking into it seems it had some issues with shutter shock? Someone on another forum suggests it was [arguably] the biggest jump in terms of quality in the A7 line to date, from the 7R to 7RII
Nah... that's the smallest jump I'd say. Biggest jump is A7/A7II to A7III.

Shutter shock can be a issue but can also be easily avoided for the most past.

AF-S is fine. EVF is fine. Low fps is probably not one of his concerns.

Good point there, that I hadn't really thought on! How's the shutter sound on the 7RII? If there was one thing I hated about my old D800 it was the *SLAP* of the mirror when you released the shutter - I'm going to assume on a FFML it will never be near as loud?

sounds like cannon lol
or gatling gun in continuous mode.

Nah... that's the smallest jump I'd say. Biggest jump is A7/A7II to A7III.

Shutter shock can be a issue but can also be easily avoided for the most past.

AF-S is fine. EVF is fine. Low fps is probably not one of his concerns.

sounds like cannon lol
or gatling gun in continuous mode.

Go and buy one @Cagey75 and you can thank @nandbytes after lol

I very seriously considered the A7R, but didn't go there, rightly or wrongly, because of shutter shock issues.

Managed to get out yesterday with the LA-EA4 and 70-210 + Sony 50 1.4 and Sammy FE 50 1.4 for comparison. Let me start by saying that a decent affordable 70-210 with good image quality at a sensible price was something I really missed with Nikon. I had an AIS 80-200 f4.5 that was 'OK' but not great. The 70-210 f4-5.6 has a very good reputation that the copy I owned didn't really live up to. It's not a lens I use a lot, but it was a lens I didn't use at all after first evaluation with the D610. Let me say that I'm REALLY pleased to have my beercan working again. :D

So I did a comparison between the Sony and Sammy 50 f1.4s, and I have to say the sammy is really good. I'd been thinking about sending it back, but actually it does that lovely bokeh and at f8 it's sharp & detailed edge to edge. I'd put it very close to the Sammy 85 f1.4 MF I had. The Sony lens is noticeably softer wide open with quite a lot of coma at 1.4-1.8 and smeary edges still at f4. By f8 it's better but not as good. I used this on crop previously, where the edges were lost & that didn't matter.

One thing I HAVE noticed is that there seems less clear distinction with fine detail in foliage than I've been used to with the Nikon. No idea whether it's the lenses, sensor or just the light at this time of year. Been trying different software for processing too, but it's likely I'll settle on Adobe camera raw & then dng files into Lightroom, though I will also have a look at sony/capture1 version.

Anyway, a quick sample from yesterday.

Kidlington canal
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Last edited:
The Sammy 50 1.4 is one lens I was looking at, but the Sony 85 1.8 looks even better, albeit not as fast and obviously longer. I would pair either with a 28 or 35 depending

The Sammy 50 1.4 is one lens I was looking at, but the Sony 85 1.8 looks even better, albeit not as fast and obviously longer. I would pair either with a 28 or 35 depending

Remember that the 85mm f1.8 bokeh can be a bit cats eye and swirly. In that respect it's more like an old lens from years ago but it's also sharp from wide open, has good performance across the frame and is relatively compact, light and cheap.

I do wish the bokeh was more like what I used to get from my non art Sigma 85mm f1.4 but I suppose in the absence of a compact, light and well priced 85mm with really nice bokeh the current 85mm f1.8 remains a sort of good choice. Unless you just can't live with the bokeh.

Remember that the 85mm f1.8 bokeh can be a bit cats eye and swirly. In that respect it's more like an old lens from years ago but it's also sharp from wide open, has good performance across the frame and is relatively compact, light and cheap.

I do wish the bokeh was more like what I used to get from my non art Sigma 85mm f1.4 but I suppose in the absence of a compact, light and well priced 85mm with really nice bokeh the current 85mm f1.8 remains a sort of good choice. Unless you just can't live with the bokeh.

I don't mind quirky bokeh, I think that's a much more subjective thing than reviewers imagine. I mean, look at the Helios 44-2, if a modern lens had similar bokeh characteristics it'd get hammered! But many people buy that lens because of it, they want the swirls! :D I'd just have to consider if I'd use an 85 enough, over a 50mm. And the 50 1.8 goes for peanuts, would free up some cash for something else - a nice MF tele perhaps!

I probably shouldn't be jumping the gun, but also looking at the Tamron 28-75 as an all in one until I get used to the system.

Last edited:
As you may know I have several legacy 50 and 85mm lenses. Looking at the two focal lengths and the different lenses I have I think that the 50's are less funky than the 85's which in my experience based on the ones I've had tend to be rather funky at the wider apertures. Stopped down things level out. I have 50's that I like the look of at wider apertures but to be honest I think that the legacy 85's can struggle at times, it's obviously light, subject and background dependant.

I used to use 50mm quite a bit and my Sigma 50mm f1.4 was my most used lens on my 5D for a while but these days I've gravitated more towards 35mm with the 85mm f1.8 seeing some limited use and my 55mm f1.8 and legacy 50's being used much less.

Last edited:
As you may know I have several legacy 50 and 85mm lenses. Looking at the two focal lengths and the different lenses I have I think that the 50's are less funky than the 85's which in my experience based on the ones I've had tend to be rather funky at the wider apertures. Stopped down things level out. I have 50's that I like the look of at wider apertures but to be honest I think that the legacy 85's can struggle at times, it's obviously light, subject and background dependant.

I used to use 50mm quite a bit and my Sigma 50mm f1.4 was my most used lens on my 5D for a while but these days I've gravitated more towards 35mm with the 85mm f1.8 seeing some limited use and my 55mm f1.8 and legacy 50's being used much less.

You have a collection I'd love! But knowing me I'd just get flustered - if I have more than 3-4 lenses at any one time I feel like I need to be using all of them. I guess that's why I watch and read so many reviews over time, if I'm only going to own a couple of lenses at a time I need them to be bang on. An 85 is probably not what I would want if I think on it more, otherwise I'd own a 42.5 right now for the Panasonic. If I compare the lenses I've liked for that, then 30-50mm would be my most used [15-25mm om MFT] followed by more the more tele end.

You have a collection I'd love! But knowing me I'd just get flustered - if I have more than 3-4 lenses at any one time I feel like I need to be using all of them. I guess that's why I watch and read so many reviews over time, if I'm only going to own a couple of lenses at a time I need them to be bang on. An 85 is probably not what I would want if I think on it more, otherwise I'd own a 42.5 right now for the Panasonic. If I compare the lenses I've liked for that, then 30-50mm would be my most used [15-25mm om MFT] followed by more the more tele end.

I like buying old lenses and seeing what the differences are. It's a cheap enough hobby and it keeps the gas satisfied :D I have the Oly 45mm f1.8 for MFT but I don't use it much as when I want that sort of focal length I tend to reach for the A7 and an 85mm. One thing I have been thinking of doing though is taking my two MTF cameras out (GX80 and GX9,) one with the 45mm f1.8 and the other with the 17mm f1.8, instead of one camera and changing lenses.

Your ideal of 3/4 lenses makes a lot of sense and I'd say that a standard zoom (28-70mm) and a fast prime would cover the vast majority or my needs and if I could sneak in a macro too that'd do nicely :D I've always fancied a long lens too but I've always been too tight to buy one.

I like buying old lenses and seeing what the differences are. It's a cheap enough hobby and it keeps the gas satisfied :D I have the Oly 45mm f1.8 for MFT but I don't use it much as when I want that sort of focal length I tend to reach for the A7 and an 85mm. One thing I have been thinking of doing though is taking my two MTF cameras out (GX80 and GX9,) one with the 45mm f1.8 and the other with the 17mm f1.8, instead of one camera and changing lenses.

Your ideal of 3/4 lenses makes a lot of sense and I'd say that a standard zoom (28-70mm) and a fast prime would cover the vast majority or my needs and if I could sneak in a macro too that'd do nicely :D I've always fancied a long lens too but I've always been too tight to buy one.

I totally get it, but I'm a fussy tw@t and every time I commit to buying an old lens I end up copping out because I think I do too much research! I find one niggle about a lens and I'm out. I really need to relax on that a bit, if so I'd probably have a bunch of nice classic primes by now.

A sneaky macro would definitely be on the cards, and it will most likely be of some vintage too ;) I only ever manual focus for macro, I don't even get why anyone would want to AF for it! On the tele side I'm also talking vintage, it would be a complete waste for me to ever buy a modern long lens, I just wouldn't make use of it. Something like an old Nikon or Canon 300mm F4.5 would be plenty for me to play with [this would be if I went 7Rii, would want longer for a 7III] , shooting birds in the garden - outside of that I'm mostly a close up shooter.

Last edited:

I'd skip the Sammy 50/1.4
Sammy 35mm/1.4 on the other hand is pretty good. If you get an A7RII, just crop in for a 50mm f2 field of view :p

As for Tele lenses depends on how much you are wIlling to spend??

The rumor site reports a firmware update for the Sigma MC11 adapter...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-firmware-updated-for-the-sigma-mc-11-adapter/#disqus_thread

"● It has optimized the peripheral illumination correction data when it is used in combination with the SIGMA 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary for SIGMA.
● It has become compatible with the SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Art for SIGMA, that has the latest firmware Ver.1.04.
● It has become compatible with the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary for SIGMA, that has the latest firmware Ver.1.03.
● It has become compatible with the SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art for SIGMA, that has the latest firmware Ver.1.01.
● It has improved the compensation effect when it is used in combination with the Sony α9, Sony α7III and specific lenses*, and their in-camera image stabilization adjustment is set to AUTO. It has been set to achieve the same effect as when it is adjusted manually.
● It has improved the accuracy of exposure when it is used with dedicated flashes manufactured by SONY."

That's nice.

Last edited:
A7 and film era 17mm...

KlLQzWF.jpg

I was going for a creepy tree tentacle attack thing... inspired by tentacle monsters in "Monsters" and "The Mist."

The original...

UVFXmgH.jpg

:D

If the Sammy FE 85 is as good as the manual focus version then it will be very good indeed. Having said that, I really like the images I've seen taken with the Sony 85 1.8.

It's fatter but not much longer than the Sony 85/1.8
It's also weathersealed
It's got my attention now...

They say on the rumor site that the GM is 8mm longer.

I'll be interested to see it against the Sony 85's on Compact Camera Meter, it's not there yet, I just checked :D

Anyone have any experience with the Samyang 14mm 2.8? Looking for a replacement for my Tokina 11-16mm Nikon mount!

Anyone have any experience with the Samyang 14mm 2.8? Looking for a replacement for my Tokina 11-16mm Nikon mount!

I have the manual version, love it. Very sharp, focus scale and infinity stops are a mile out but I always zoom to focus using manual anyway. (I've seen a quite easy way to remedy this but don't fancy messing about with mine) I don't think there's a better ultra-wide for £229 tbh

Last edited:
might have someone coming to take the bulk of my Nikon kit on Monday so if it pans out need to get advise on lenses.

set on the 55/85 but want a mid range zoom also, the tamron is the cheapest and gets good reviews but unsure about 28 at the short end I'm used to 24 .
so do I go for the tamron, pay more for the Sony 24-104 or buy a used 16-35 f4. I'm not sure if I would prefer the 2.8 over 4 as I do sometimes do indoor lowlight events where this could be a slight issue(last I was shooting 2.8/3200-6400 to get semi decent shutter speeds.

also is there a cheap Nikon adaptor thats that would let me use my samyang 14mm, af isn't needed as its manual but wondered with focus peaking would still work or not.

or is it better to just buy the Sony version or similar ultra wide

I have the manual version, love it. Very sharp, focus scale and infinity stops are a mile out but I always zoom to focus using manual anyway. (I've seen a quite easy way to remedy this but don't fancy messing about with mine) I don't think there's a better ultra-wide for £229 tbh
Thanks Ant! Hadn't really thought of the MF version, I was looking at the AF one which would make life easier however not completely necessary!

Back