The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Home now, strangely JFK customs was very good to my surprise. My Pelican got pulled aside again as expected for an inspection but the lady who was looking at it didn't take anything out, just asked me to open it and looked and said all good.

Now processed the photo properly too (actually the frame after that last one) I prefer this one.

YhhQQIQ.jpg

Competitor rumors… I'm not going to post this in any of the Canon threads as there'll be a melt down but I'll post it here as we're far less reactionary and fanboyish :D

Could Canon be hedging their bets and moving slightly away from the Photography business...

https://fstoppers.com/business/do-c...ter-closure-signal-retreat-photography-354140

I doubt it but on the other hand none of the big traditional camera companies seem to be making money out of the camera business so really it'd be foolish to carry on throwing money at it as only the Japanese do. Maybe it's best to take a sideways step into medical devices.
The camera/video part of Canon is not where most of the money is earned, I think the Photocopier side brings in more than half of their income. Camera sales have dropped dramatically from the peak, (about 84% since 2010) and all camera companies will, and have been, reorganising to manage that huge decline. I doubt it may mean anything significant, but time will tell. They are still #1 after all. ;)

The camera/video part of Canon is not where most of the money is earned, I think the Photocopier side brings in more than half of their income. Camera sales have dropped dramatically from the peak, (about 84% since 2010) and all camera companies will, and have been, reorganising to manage that huge decline. I doubt it may mean anything significant, but time will tell. They are still #1 after all. ;)

I was just having fun, I don't really believe Canon will exit the camera business.

About 30 years ago I spent a few months fixing Canon copiers. Back then they were ok but had a couple of serious shortcomings compared to their competitors, for example not being edge to edge copiers and being very cagy about it. They did AFAIK make the first colour copier though. I don't know what Canon copiers are like now but I do expect that copiers are still hateful things to work on.

Home now, strangely JFK customs was very good to my surprise. My Pelican got pulled aside again as expected for an inspection but the lady who was looking at it didn't take anything out, just asked me to open it and looked and said all good.

Now processed the photo properly too (actually the frame after that last one) I prefer this one.

YhhQQIQ.jpg

It’s a superb image and one I’m sure they’ll treasure.

Did you do any with a slightly slower SS? Seems to be shouting out for just a bit of people movement this :)

Competitor rumors… I'm not going to post this in any of the Canon threads as there'll be a melt down but I'll post it here as we're far less reactionary and fanboyish :D

Could Canon be hedging their bets and moving slightly away from the Photography business...

https://fstoppers.com/business/do-c...ter-closure-signal-retreat-photography-354140

I doubt it but on the other hand none of the big traditional camera companies seem to be making money out of the camera business so really it'd be foolish to carry on throwing money at it as only the Japanese do. Maybe it's best to take a sideways step into medical devices.

Canon isn't just the imaging side of things though, office and industry have always been a larger side of their business. Medical isn't new either, although dedicated division is relatively recent. Their profits are dropping for sure, as they are publicly traded you can read all of their results. They also have to keep the shareholders happy, so cuts/repositioning is inevitable. You have to worry about Nikon, but I'm hopeful they'll always be there. I worry about Fuji as well, will they still be around in 10 years?

The camera market is shrinking, consumers who need the latest and greatest are the minority. The initial digital surge is over, from the point of view of once you've bought a modern camera you really don't need to replace it for a very long time, and also from the replacement of cameras by mobile phones. The market will never be the same size again overall although if expect the enthusiast market to remain the same? We'll always be here buying the latest and greatest for our needs :D

In my constant obsession over which manufacturer to finally stick with, I'd spent a lot of time trawling forums for feedback on the system. There are people using the 100-400 with the 2x TC who love it. Results looked pretty good at web size.

Have you got any links please?

Photographed an engagement session yesterday after updating the firmware. A.f accuracy was very good then again it pretty much always was.

The only annoying thing was the face detect frame display, which I have now turned off.

In my constant obsession over which manufacturer to finally stick with, I'd spent a lot of time trawling forums for feedback on the system. There are people using the 100-400 with the 2x TC who love it. Results looked pretty good at web size.
One thing I've never been entirely clear about is the effect that losing 1 or 2 stops when adding a teleconverter has on AF.

Canon isn't just the imaging side of things though, office and industry have always been a larger side of their business. Medical isn't new either, although dedicated division is relatively recent. Their profits are dropping for sure, as they are publicly traded you can read all of their results. They also have to keep the shareholders happy, so cuts/repositioning is inevitable. You have to worry about Nikon, but I'm hopeful they'll always be there. I worry about Fuji as well, will they still be around in 10 years?

The camera market is shrinking, consumers who need the latest and greatest are the minority. The initial digital surge is over, from the point of view of once you've bought a modern camera you really don't need to replace it for a very long time, and also from the replacement of cameras by mobile phones. The market will never be the same size again overall although if expect the enthusiast market to remain the same? We'll always be here buying the latest and greatest for our needs :D

Cameras will be more electronic than mechanical devices and this will suit electronics companies and they'll drive development and features, that's inevitable. I wonder if we'll see a revolution in lenses too although this may take a while but one day we might all be using metalenses or some other flat field tech.

One thing I've never been entirely clear about is the effect that losing 1 or 2 stops when adding a teleconverter has on AF.

Yeah, you're going to be at f11 so need sunny conditions ideally if you also want a high shutter speed. AF isn't as good, but some were using it for bif with varying degrees of success. My use with the TC would be for airshows, so generally a simpler target for AF and I'd be shooting stopped down for prop blur anyway.

Last edited:
Cameras will be more electronic than mechanical devices and this will suit electronics companies and they'll drive development and features, that's inevitable. I wonder if we'll see a revolution in lenses too although this may take a while but one day we might all be using metalenses or some other flat field tech.

Very true, seen someone describe Sony camera's as a computer with a lens attached the other day and that's pretty much the truth.

Aye, who's have thought a decade ago that Sony and Panasonic would be leaders in the camera market? It's pretty much happening now that the S1 series is about to be released. Who'd have thought Sharp, who I thought didn't even exist anymore, would be the first to put out an 8k video cam? I only ever knew these companies for TV and hi fi as a kid

Very true, seen someone describe Sony camera's as a computer with a lens attached the other day and that's pretty much the truth.

This annoys me as did the comment in another thread about having a Nikon camera and a Sony TV. FFS. All digital cameras are essentially "computers" with a lens attached and that's just as true for Canon or Nikon as it is for Sony or Panasonic just as all film cameras were/are essentially an empty box with a lens attached. And of course there's no snobby digs on line about how Nikon should stick to lenses and leave the cameras to Canon or that Canon should stick to making photocopiers and leave the camera making to Ensign.

This annoys me as did the comment in another thread about having a Nikon camera and a Sony TV. FFS. All digital cameras are essentially "computers" with a lens attached and that's just as true for Canon or Nikon as it is for Sony or Panasonic just as all film cameras were/are essentially an empty box with a lens attached. And of course there's no snobby digs on line about how Nikon should stick to lenses and leave the cameras to Canon or that Canon should stick to making photocopiers and leave the camera making to Ensign.

How about Sonys menus though :ROFLMAO:

Aye, who's have thought a decade ago that Sony and Panasonic would be leaders in the camera market? It's pretty much happening now that the S1 series is about to be released. Who'd have thought Sharp, who I thought didn't even exist anymore, would be the first to put out an 8k video cam? I only ever knew these companies for TV and hi fi as a kid

The electronics companies are well placed to take it all forward but really the name on the front shouldn't matter.

Back in the early days of computers one of the best was made by a company owned by Tate and Lyle, the sugar people :D I don't remember any snotty remarks though and the general thought was that they'd backed a winner and good luck to them.

#steadyshotinside

The electronics companies are well placed to take it all forward but really the name on the front shouldn't matter.

Back in the early days of computers one of the best was made by a company owned by Tate and Lyle, the sugar people :D I don't remember any snotty remarks though and the general thought was that they'd backed a winner and good luck to them.

It doesn't! not to me at least, if Tonka toys put out a decent camera at the right price I'd give it a go :D

I'm not seeing snotty remarks about, but I ignore fanboyism in general, I never understand why people leech onto these multi-million dollar companies as if they had mass shares in them. I used to laugh at people who'd put black tape across the make or model of their camera, now I kinda see why they do it. Way too much stupid s*** goes on between gear heads arguing over brands like it's some life changing topic

Its amazing how many people get hung up on menus.

I f'ing hate the menu on my LG tv :D

Last edited:
Have you got any links please?

I've only had time for a quick look, here a couple from FM forums with info/examples:

The first has some examples on the last page, but also info around the pdaf settings you get on various bodies as not all pdaf focus past f9.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1574955/2

The second is a longer thread with various feedback/samples.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1544591/0

Edit: This is the thread where you'll find a lot more examples, but as it is a general A9 thread you have to search through it:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1492553/33#14465276

Last edited:

Ooh noes, someone said something mean about a camera system I use, time for a hissy fit. :ROFLMAO:

For me using Sony is a far more digital, computing or however you want to put it experience compared to Nikon and Canon, that's not necessarily a bad thing but it is the truth.

For me Sony files straight out of camera are also a lot more digital looking than other brands, not that it can't be sorted in post and I am not just talking about the colour differences which is a non issue for me.

I am not saying Nikon or Canon is better but having used Nikon extensively for the best part of 20 years and now having 5 soon to be 6 Sony bodies those are my thoughts.

For me using Sony is a far more digital, computing or however you want to put it experience compared to Nikon and Canon, that's not necessarily a bad thing but it is the truth.

I'd go along with this, an aspect I hadn't considered and TBH really don't like. With my D610 if I wanted to take a picture I'd just lift the camera to my eye, flick the switch on and shoot, but the A7 needs a couple of seconds to display any kind of image and that time interrupts the flow from seeing a scene to creating the image. Yes, I could leave the camera switched on all the time (and I'm getting the habit of switching on before even raising it to my eye) but that's requiring ME to change for the camera. As a photographic instrument the D610 was a much nicer tool to use, and I also miss things like display of shutter speed and aperture that were available on the top plate.

So yes, it feels like a much more digital, remote experience, and much less like 1972 even with an AIS lens attached.

I'd go along with this, an aspect I hadn't considered and TBH really don't like. With my D610 if I wanted to take a picture I'd just lift the camera to my eye, flick the switch on and shoot, but the A7 needs a couple of seconds to display any kind of image and that time interrupts the flow from seeing a scene to creating the image. Yes, I could leave the camera switched on all the time (and I'm getting the habit of switching on before even raising it to my eye) but that's requiring ME to change for the camera. As a photographic instrument the D610 was a much nicer tool to use, and I also miss things like display of shutter speed and aperture that were available on the top plate.

So yes, it feels like a much more digital, remote experience, and much less like 1972 even with an AIS lens attached.

The delay sometimes irritates me too, especially when there’s an image in the VF, but all of the other advantages absolutely make my old 610 an also-ran. The AF consistency between the two is just not even worth comparing, and in the end, that’s what will get me more keepers.

It doesn't! not to me at least, if Tonka toys put out a decent camera at the right price I'd give it a go :D

I'm not seeing snotty remarks about, but I ignore fanboyism in general, I never understand why people leech onto these multi-million dollar companies as if they had mass shares in them. I used to laugh at people who'd put black tape across the make or model of their camera, now I kinda see why they do it. Way too much stupid s*** goes on between gear heads arguing over brands like it's some life changing topic

I f'ing hate the menu on my LG tv :D

Good.
:D

Ooh noes, someone said something mean about a camera system I use, time for a hissy fit. :ROFLMAO:

No. There's no hissy fit from me just repeated mild surprise and disappointment that adults say/post in such an infantile inane way.

For me Sony files straight out of camera are also a lot more digital looking than other brands, not that it can't be sorted in post and I am not just talking about the colour differences which is a non issue for me.

I am not saying Nikon or Canon is better but having used Nikon extensively for the best part of 20 years and now having 5 soon to be 6 Sony bodies those are my thoughts.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I put my hand in the bag and turn the camera on as I lift it out, that seems to avoid most of the lag most of the time. Other than that I sometimes just leave it turned on.

I don't see the files as being more digital but files from more modern cameras are certainly cleaner and less noisy but to me that's an advantage as I can add noise later if I want. Here we're getting into the discussion of clinical or characterful. I think on balance I'd rather have a clinical camera as I can use a characterful lens and add film and other characterful effects later.

No. There's no hissy fit from me just repeated mild surprise and disappointment that adults say/post in such an infantile inane way.

Ooh noes the bad man on the internet was mean to me. :(

Last edited:
I put my hand in the bag and turn the camera on as I lift it out, that seems to avoid most of the lag most of the time. Other than that I sometimes just leave it turned on.

I don't see the files as being more digital but files from more modern cameras are certainly cleaner and less noisy but to me that's an advantage as I can add noise later if I want. Here we're getting into the discussion of clinical or characterful. I think on balance I'd rather have a clinical camera as I can use a characterful lens and add film and other characterful effects later.

That's where I'm going with turning it on, but TBH I'm allergic to leaving battery powered kit switched on un-necessarily and know that if I don't switch off after capture then I'll never turn it off.

I made no comment about the digital appearance or otherwise of the images (and didn't quote that part) but meant that the setup let me feel less involved taking a picture in a way I never noticed when handling the A58 (including very recently).

Back