The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well, I'll let you know as I just pulled the trigger on that Amazon deal :) Sure, I'd prefer the 55 but happy to take a chance on the cheapie 50.
So the 50/1.8 duly arrived from Amazon as did a used 28/2 courtesy of JJ! of this parish. Have to say the 28 is far superior in every way. The 50 is sharp in the centre but has quite bad CA at the edges. And there's the slow AF - it really is slow isn't it! The Amazon deal was a bargain and it will fill a gap for now, but I can't see me holding on to it for very long. I only have the three primes so far (28, 35, 50) and have been using adapted Canon lenses to fill any gaps, but the AF with those isn't great either so I'll probably pick up some other Sony or Zeiss lenses to fill the most used gaps. The Sony 85/1.8 looks like it might be my next one :)

So the 50/1.8 duly arrived from Amazon as did a used 28/2 courtesy of JJ! of this parish. Have to say the 28 is far superior in every way. The 50 is sharp in the centre but has quite bad CA at the edges. And there's the slow AF - it really is slow isn't it! The Amazon deal was a bargain and it will fill a gap for now, but I can't see me holding on to it for very long. I only have the three primes so far (28, 35, 50) and have been using adapted Canon lenses to fill any gaps, but the AF with those isn't great either so I'll probably pick up some other Sony or Zeiss lenses to fill the most used gaps. The Sony 85/1.8 looks like it might be my next one :)

Did you update the 50 FW? I thought it was alright (not great) after I updated a mates, considering the price. The 85 1.8 I find superb for a cheap lens, much better than Canikons offerings.

Did you update the 50 FW? I thought it was alright (not great) after I updated a mates, considering the price. The 85 1.8 I find superb for a cheap lens, much better than Canikons offerings.
No didn’t realise you could! I’ll look into that - thanks.

OK just checked it and it has the latest firmware already :(

I’m struggling to find the animal eye AF setting on the A9 - the one that lets you change between human and animal. Anybody know where it is?

OK just checked it and it has the latest firmware already :(

Thanks - you've really helped my GAS. :)

Currently debating over a Sammy 35 f2.8 for under £200. I'd like a tiny lens for walk-abouts where I want to keep the camera minimal, but would probably prefer the 28 f2 except for size.

Thanks - you've really helped my GAS. :)

Currently debating over a Sammy 35 f2.8 for under £200. I'd like a tiny lens for walk-abouts where I want to keep the camera minimal, but would probably prefer the 28 f2 except for size.
You’re welcome ;)
The first lens I got for mine was the Sony/Zeiss 35/2.8 which is my favourite so far, partly as it’s so small and easy to carry around, but it’s also really nice and sharp! Not sure how the Samyang compares though.

Last edited:
Not out for the A9 yet afaik. Gotta wait a bit longer.

Yeah I realised after posting that it was the A7iii/A7Riii that got it in the latest firmware. I was convinced the A9 got it too and spent an unhealthy amount of time combing through the menus to find it. D’oh!!

Wedding photographers red flags...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...l-red-flags-saw-ceremony-doomed-marriage.html

Wedding photographers here, have you got any?

I'm certainly no expert but I think even the most casual of guests could tell by a lot of these signs.

I've photographed 6 weddings total, 2 of them were my sister's, [2 different sisters] I could tell while shooting one of them it wasn't going to last, turned out to be correct though took 2 years before it really fell apart

I don't think I've ever known a woman who'd react well to having cake smeared on her face :D

Wedding photographers red flags...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...l-red-flags-saw-ceremony-doomed-marriage.html

Wedding photographers here, have you got any?

For me it’s when the bride and groom take the maid of honour and the best man on honeymoon with them as they are all such good friends.

Then on the second night of the honeymoon the bride finds the groom tucked up in bed with the maid of honour and as it turns out they have been having a thing for about 5/6 years.

That happened on the second wedding I shot. :eek:

You’re welcome ;)
The first lens I got for mine was the Sony/Zeiss 35/2.8 which is my favourite so far, partly as it’s so small and easy to carry around, but it’s also really nice and sharp! Not sure how the Samyang compares though.

Will find out shortly. ;) At least it's easy enough to return, though in retrospect I probably shouldn't have just bought it so soon after the 24-105.

For me it’s when the bride and groom take the maid of honour and the best man on honeymoon with them as they are all such good friends.

Then on the second night of the honeymoon the bride finds the groom tucked up in bed with the maid of honour and as it turns out they have been having a thing for about 5/6 years.

That happened on the second wedding I shot. :eek:

What about you Tommy, ya dirty yoke, any hanky panky with bridesmaids? :D

What about you Tommy, ya dirty yoke, any hanky panky with bridesmaids? :D

No, chance my missus is mint and I am a very happily married man. Sometimes they can be a bit “handsy”. Did have one wedding a few years ago where one of the bridesmaids was a girl I had been through donkeys years ago, before I met my missus. She was all over me like a rash especially later on in the day after she had got a few drinks in her.

At a wedding last year as we where about to leave, the mother of the bride asked for a quiet word and thinking nothing of it I went out the back of the venue with her. I thought she was going to give me a few quid as a tip as they sometimes do, so it was a bit of a shock when she stuck the lips on me.

Women with a few drinks in them can be a bit wild. For weddings I work with my wife so she is always with me, so you would think that they would have more sense. My missus always thinks it’s hilarious when anything like that happens while I am always full on embarrassed. A single fella could absolutely have a field day working as a wedding photographer.

Have also had loads of best men, groomsmen etc. and even one groom try to get a bit familiar with my missus. She is always able to deal with them and only once have I had to remind a fella to mind his manners.

A while back another wedding photographer told me about how the groom tried to kiss him when he was saying cheerio and heading for home. Would imagine that marriage didn’t last long.

Last edited:
No, chance my missus is mint and I am a very happily married man. Sometimes they can be a bit “handsy”. Did have one wedding a few years ago where one of the bridesmaids was a girl I had been through donkeys years ago, before I met my missus. She was all over me like a rash especially later on in the day after she had got a few drinks in her.

At a wedding last year as we where about to leave, the mother of the bride asked for a quiet word and thinking nothing of it I went out the back of the venue with her. I thought she was going to give me a few quid as a tip as they sometimes do, so it was a bit of a shock when she stuck the lips on me.

Women with a few drinks in them can be a bit wild. For weddings I work with my wife so she is always with me, so you would think that they would have more sense. My missus always thinks it’s hilarious when anything like that happens while I am always full on embarrassed. A single fella could absolutely have a field day working as a wedding photographer.

Have also had loads of best men, groomsmen etc. and even one groom try to get a bit familiar with my missus. She is always able to deal with them and only once have I had to remind a fella to mind his manners.

A while back another wedding photographer told me about how the groom tried to kiss him when he was saying cheerio and heading for home. Would imagine that marriage didn’t last long.
That's terrible professional wise!

That's terrible professional wise!

Not really, it is no different than say someone who works in a bar which I did when I was young, which was far worse.

Anyone who works in a job that puts people together with alcohol at some point will run into stuff like that, it's just par for the course. I am sure it was much worse years ago especially for women working in those jobs.

:D

I'm hetero and happily married but I'm still flattered when a gay man fancies me :D I wouldn't want to break up a marriage though.

I used to work in a pub... it was constant sexual harassment, I got constantly grabbed and groped, women are terrible :D

Last edited:

I've seen it all at weddings, even just as a guest. Amazing how weddings bring the ultimate slapper out in people, male or female! Sign of a solid relationship when you and your wife can tell one another about stuff like this, I imagine some would be very wary and untrusting with partners who spend a lot of time working at them

:D

I'm hetero and happily married but I'm still flattered when a gay man fancies me :D I wouldn't want to break up a marriage though.

I used to work in a pub... it was constant sexual harassment, I got constantly grabbed and groped, women are terrible :D

My very first job was as a general dogsbody in a social club when I was about 15-16 collecting glasses, cleaning tables all the crappy jobs. The pay was awful, the hours where very antisocial but the tips where good and the “aul dolls” as I thought of them then absolutely tortured me once they had a few drinks. I absolutely loved it. :p

Eventually I got moved in behind the bar and it was more of the same but with an extra £0.75 per hour. For a few years while at College I always had a part time job in a bar or a nightclub. It was enormous craic I loved it, if only the money had of been better I would have absolutely went into it full time.

One of the nightclubs I worked in offered me an assistants managers job when I told them I was leaving to go into a full time job elsewhere but the money was terrible and even the managers wages wasn’t great. I was still sorely tempted though.

Last edited:
I've seen it all at weddings, even just as a guest. Amazing how weddings bring the ultimate slapper out in people, male or female! Sign of a solid relationship when you and your wife can tell one another about stuff like this, I imagine some would be very wary and untrusting with partners who spend a lot of time working at them

Yeah, I would say there would be a fair bit of temptation there for a married guy or gal who shoots weddings on their own.

I don't see the files as being more digital but files from more modern cameras are certainly cleaner and less noisy but to me that's an advantage as I can add noise later if I want.

Whether the files are more digitalor not, they do have an amazing latitude for processing, and I'm seeing fewer halos with this system, though if I push things hard it *feels* like the noise in shadows is worse than with the D610 and higher ISOs lose more detail - that's purely subjective at this stage.

Forgot to mention, was at a wedding the other day and both photographers were shooting Sony. One with 2 x A7III and one with A7III and an A9.

They both loved them for the job. Top guys as well!

I did resist the urge and kept mine locked away in the room except for about 5 minutes of the day.

Can anyone recommend some decent flashguns and Triggers for the Sony A7RIII?

I use SB-5000/700 with my Nikon gear but rarely use flash so don't want to spend crazy money on these... however... I do want decent ones just in case :)

I use SB-5000/700 with my Nikon gear but rarely use flash so don't want to spend crazy money on these... however... I do want decent ones just in case :)
I'd recommend Godox.

I use their TT685s and Xpro-s to trigger them wirelessly. Can control multiple flashes wirelessly with just one trigger

e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-TT685S-Speedlite-Supports-20-200mm-x/dp/B01DTXB66G

and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Wire...gger+sony&qid=1555273566&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Forgot to mention, was at a wedding the other day and both photographers were shooting Sony. One with 2 x A7III and one with A7III and an A9.

They both loved them for the job. Top guys as well!

I did resist the urge and kept mine locked away in the room except for about 5 minutes of the day.

That’s because they’re seriously awesome cameras. Done 3 weddings with mine this week and my major criticism is the wake up time and the battery life.

I’ve now switched so they sleep after 10 secs but the wake up time is horrendous. But I’ll grab a few more batteries and go back to them being awake for longer I think.

I like the Godox V350s flashes with the Sony’s the other flashes available make them too top heavy and cumbersome if you are using them on camera. The V350s are tiny, but powerful enough, there is also a cheaper version that using normal aa batteries the V350s uses a lithium pack which is far more handy. I also have the x-pro trigger which works well but for off camera I mainly use Godox AD200’s and AD600’s. The V350s are the only Godox flash for these that has focus beam assist or that used to be the case anyway.

That’s because they’re seriously awesome cameras. Done 3 weddings with mine this week and my major criticism is the wake up time and the battery life.

I’ve now switched so they sleep after 10 secs but the wake up time is horrendous. But I’ll grab a few more batteries and go back to them being awake for longer I think.

I find the battery life quite good to be honest especially for a mirrorless camera it’s probably best in class.

I have never had any issues always had more than enough juice to get me to after the speeches and I just swap them out at dinner although there would probably be enough juice still left to let me finish the day. Try using the lcd a bit more, the evf eats a lot more power. I shoot a lot using just the lcd now, makes such a big difference and helps get shots that just wouldn’t be possible with the crappy live view on dslrs. Also allows you to be able direct the couple and groups easier without the camera glued to your face.

Back